As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

No, It's the Artisanal Cheese Villains Who Are Wrong in the [BAD FOOD] Thread

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Wife picked up homemade tamales from the market today. Woop woop.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    I've been living mostly off freeze dried powder meals these last many many months. I miss maillard. I miss it a lot. Also, dietary fiber.

Shout out to the market hunters who traded some rein deer for a powdered cake and instant coffee . That was a good day.

This raises some interesting questions for the bad food thread. You still in Greenland? I don't think I've ever had a whole meal of freeze dried powder meals, how's that treating you? Sounds like reindeer is pretty good by comparison?

Yup! Still in Greenland.

The freeze dried meals have improved a lot in these last years. The Norwegians really dialed it in. But! You know how things from a box or industrial kitchens have a certain taste? I think it's maltodextrine or something like that. Anyways, they taste like that a lot. You get tired of it.

Rein deer is one of my favorite things to eat, especially fresh, especially from this part of the country, so I certainly enjoy it more. I suspect most meat eaters would feel the same.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    What are you doing that you need to eat so many freeze dried foods? I assume you're just somewhere really remote? Or you are working at an astronaut themed LARP event.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    You got your gyros plate in my breakfast burrito!
    You got your breakfast burrito in my gyros plate!

Oh dang, this is basically what we had for breakfast this morning. We had gyros last night and there was leftover meat and pitas so this morning I fried up the leftover meat with some eggs and stuffed it all into pitas it was delicious.

Honestly I wish all meat was gyro meat. Grind all meat down into a paste and smush it all together and grill it. That's what I want all the time.

Buddy, let me introduce you to a little thing that Pennsylvania, Maryland and Delaware call scrapple

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    First place they visit they have scrapple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQcG-jBvwzU

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I've been living mostly off freeze dried powder meals these last many many months. I miss maillard. I miss it a lot. Also, dietary fiber.

Shout out to the market hunters who traded some rein deer for a powdered cake and instant coffee . That was a good day.

This raises some interesting questions for the bad food thread. You still in Greenland? I don't think I've ever had a whole meal of freeze dried powder meals, how's that treating you? Sounds like reindeer is pretty good by comparison?

Reindeer is pretty good compared to most things.

I think it's only Santa's work ethic that prevents him from eating his raindeer and leaving a lot of unhappy kids every Christmas.

Here's a traditional recipie ("finnbiff") for raindeer. It's made with frozen (half-thawed) slivers of raindeer meat. (You'd traditionally leave the raw meat outside to freeze and then chop off slivers when you wanted to eat some, like an inverse döner kebab)
    d6kgu76gp20i.jpg
    (Stock image of reindeer in its native habitat)
    400 g half-thawed frozen reindeer slivers ("reinskav")
    250 g mushrooms
    butter for frying
    150 g bacon bits

3 dl full-fat sour cream
    1 dl milk
    3 slices of goats-milk brown cheese*
    5 crushed dried juniper berries
    0,5 teaspoons dried thyme

Fry everything on the top in a cast-iron pot. Add the rest and let it simmer for 5 minutes.

*What the hell is brown cheese?
    Brown cheese is whey cheese, effectively nega-cheese, and not far from caramellized milk. Tastes very sweet. Good on waffles or on bread or flavouring for sauces for dark meat. Comes in variants from pure cow's milk (mild, pale) via blends to pure goat's milk (strong, dark).
    brunost.jpg?preset=Large

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    You got your gyros plate in my breakfast burrito!
    You got your breakfast burrito in my gyros plate!

Oh dang, this is basically what we had for breakfast this morning. We had gyros last night and there was leftover meat and pitas so this morning I fried up the leftover meat with some eggs and stuffed it all into pitas it was delicious.

Honestly I wish all meat was gyro meat. Grind all meat down into a paste and smush it all together and grill it. That's what I want all the time.

Buddy, let me introduce you to a little thing that Pennsylvania, Maryland and Delaware call scrapple

Uggggghhhhhghhhhhh

As a former resident of this area

Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh

And then some.

I mean great for those that love it. But that smell.

Violent scent memories.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    That reindeer meal has, like, all of my favourite things

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    what does dl stand for in that recipe?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The only thing I can think is dollops, but it's probably not that. It has reminded me the word dollop exists though which I'm pleased about.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Deciliter I'd assume.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Grislo wrote: »
    Deciliter I'd assume.

Why not just say it in milliliters... do they make deciliter measuring cups?

Also whey cheese sounds interesting

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Deciliter, or a tenth of a liter.

For Americans, it's equal to the volume occupied by 0.95 solid ounces of olive oil, or 20 teaspoons, or 0.4 cups, or 3.4 fluid ounces.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    I really wonder if there is somewhere I can find brown cheese in the states

Oh apparently Meijer carries it

I guess I'm going to go to Meijer later today

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I went looking for the recipe with US measurements and found the original

I'm cracking up at the similar post

g56l9w3xza6s.jpg

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Deciliter I'd assume.

Just get your Pyrex liter / deciliter jug with built in measurements from the cupboard.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    What are you doing that you need to eat so many freeze dried foods? I assume you're just somewhere really remote? Or you are working at an astronaut themed LARP event.

Yeah, we're building the first road between two cities in Greenland - Sisimiut and Kangerlussuaq. Right now, we've called it an ATV track, but it's mostly there to create easier access for the surveying next year. We're done for the year. I'm finishing up a few reports.

When we were closer to the Kangerlussuaq end, we actually had decent supplies of fresh food, but as we got further into the back country, it was freeze dried meals three times a day. We didn't have permission to get supplies from Sisimiut, so we had to make due with what we could carry with us at that end.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Deciliter I'd assume.

They do!
    oj3HBKR.jpg

• Options
    Ok so actually one of the local Gordon food service store carries it apparently

I need to try it but not badly enough to drive to that particular location today since it's kinda gross out.

Plus I'm hungry right now so instead I should eat something for breakfast.

• Options
    Decilitres and centilitres are usually how liquid volumes are measured in recipes and drinks in metric.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    The thumbnail picture is not what it looks like, but still need to be a bit brave to try it.

Most UNIQUE Street Food in Turkey - Sirdan SUSHI + Extreme Street Food Tour of Istanbul! (22 mins)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76nNN7GcTBU

• Options
    That's odd I've seen ml in recipes but never dl

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Decilitres and centilitres are usually how liquid volumes are measured in recipes and drinks in metric.

Maybe in your country.

Here we use actual SI units, not made up ones.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Deciliter I'd assume.

Also whey cheese sounds interesting

Why use cups when you have pints?

• Options
    Milliliter precision is not practical outside of a laboratory setting. You'd have to have one of those thin tall measuring glasses.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    That's odd I've seen ml in recipes but never dl

I guess it's a regional thing.

The cook books I've got (all Danish) use use dl.

But it's not like we favor always using dl here. Cans and bottles under a liter have their size listed in cl (centiliter).

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »

Maybe in your country.

Milliliters make a lot of sense if you're weighing the liquid. And it's water.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options

I need to try it but not badly enough to drive to that particular location today since it's kinda gross out.

If you try brown cheese (and you should) just be aware that it tastes nothing like regular cheese. (I mean, it's literally made of the part of the milk cheese isn't made from, so why would it?)

Put thin slices of brown cheese on buttered whole-grain bread. That's how we eat it. (Or on waffles, but our waffles are different from the rectangular Belgian waffles.)

• Options

If you try brown cheese (and you should) just be aware that it tastes nothing like regular cheese. (I mean, it's literally made of the part of the milk cheese isn't made from, so why would it?)

Put thin slices of brown cheese on buttered whole-grain bread. That's how we eat it. (Or on waffles, but our waffles are different from the rectangular Belgian waffles.)

I'm counting on it. I'm not actually a big cheese guy. I'm very curious about anything described and caramel like though.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Scrapple is good! Liver puddin' is also good! It really seems like it's just about the organ taboos and it being "poor people food" cause fundamentally it's just another salty meat paste sausage. Crisps up well too, or can be left fairly soft so you get your choice of texture there. I think I also just go hard on people eating more organs since, well, we grow that whole animal up for meat, pretty terrible to toss so much of it. (And the demand for dog/cat etc. food is not NEARLY high enough to account for all of it, if people are going to keep eating meat we need to get people eating ALL the animal to cut down on overall numbers needed)

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

I'm counting on it. I'm not actually a big cheese guy. I'm very curious about anything described and caramel like though.

From the description, it sounds like a cross between a less sweet version of the caramel flavor of dulce de leche and the tanginess of feta cheese.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options

From the description, it sounds like a cross between a less sweet version of the caramel flavor of dulce de leche and the tanginess of feta cheese.

A little bit, yeah. Goat's milk brown cheese is more tangy than cow's milk (blends are unsurprisingly in-between). The most common is G35 with 10% goat. (It's also 40% sugar and 30% fat (that's why it's so tasty) so I wouldn't scarf down the whole thing.)

You can also get a variant that's the consistency of cream cheese, called "prim".

• Options
    edited October 2021

Maybe in your country.

Not much. Any dish you add water to needs so much that measuring in milliliters is pointless. Like, a cup (1/2 pint) is like 240 ml.

In any recipie I've read fluids are in deciliters or liters, unless it's like fish sauce or something in which case it's tablespoons.

[Expletive deleted] on
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    It's probably because I mostly see recipes that are just providing conversions from imperial to metric

So like a cup is 240 ml give or take

2 is usually rounded up to 500

Etc

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options

Maybe in your country.

Not much. Any dish you add water to needs so much that measuring in milliliters is pointless. Like, a cup (1/2 pint) is like 240 ml.

In any recipie I've read fluids are in deciliters or liters, unless it's like fish sauce or something in which case it's tablespoons.

Yeah, but you can read that shit as grams on your scale. I do it for coffee. But that's it.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Everything but liquids should always be measured by weight and not volume. And I'm not even convinced you really gain much by using volumetric measurements for liquid vs weight.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Everything but liquids should always be measured by weight and not volume. And I'm not even convinced you really gain much by using volumetric measurements for liquid vs weight.

Well, you don't need a scale. Other than that, no real benefit. But also no real downside, the volume of a liquid being well-defined.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Now that you mention it, I should probably go ahead and buy a graduated cylinder. I've got some really neat beaker-shaped measuring cups, but they're plastic. It would be good to have one I could pour hot liquids directly into. For example, today I was clarifying butter for a recipe that called for tablespoon measurements but I didn't have anything more accurate than a cup measure to pour it into.

It wouldn't be of much practical use, certainly, but it would make me happy to make chicken tikka masala with a piece of lab equipment. And if that's not a good enough reason to buy a cheap piece of glassware from a scientific catalog then what the hell are any of us even doing?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Liquids should always be done by weight, too, just for practical accuracy. You can get consumer scales accurate to 0.1g for less than 50 bucks. You won't find anything that can do volumetric accuracy to 1 mL, let alone 0.1 mL, outside of a lab.

• Options
    Anyone ever freeze coffee beans?

Are Mason jars suitable or do I really want to vacuum seal them.

This discussion has been closed.