Options

[Steam] Remote Play Together Sale (2/28 - 3/7) - Get some games! Play with friends!

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    So this LOTRO stuff.
    Is it worth buying anything now?
    Is it worth buying anything at all?

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Jayson is the expert on that, but between the free code and the 6 expansion quest packs, I feel pretty good about the amount of content I have now in this game for the coming months and only spent like 8 dollars and change? I've been playing all weekend and this game has a real cool atmosphere with the zones and music and has been a really chill solo experience. I'm really digging it.

As for buying anything else, he also mentioned a black friday sale coming up so hoping to see a discount on the riding skill, so I'll probably buy that with the lotro points I've saved up so far. Beyond that, honestly not sure what I would get next.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Finished Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus over the weekend. I even did the post-game Kommander Hunt stuff. Doesn't feel like it overstays its welcome, the gunplay is great and it gives you a few options as to how to engage the rooms. It's not quite as "You're locked in here with me!" as DooM, but it's still pretty actiony.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    It's worth making an account and playing long enough to enter the code for the free quests and then picking up the discount quest packs, even if you don't plan on playing right away. Between the lot of these, you're only dropping eight or nine bucks on a bunch of expansions that would normally run you $60, and will carry you completely all the way through the Lord of the Rings book storyline, and is an absolute crap-ton of content.

I mean, I've got some 750 hours in the game, total... and I'm still not close to the end of the content that's on sale (then again, I'm the kind of player that has to do everything in a zone- all the quests, all the deeds, etc.).

anoffday wrote: »
    Jayson is the expert on that, but between the free code and the 6 expansion quest packs, I feel pretty good about the amount of content I have now in this game for the coming months and only spent like 8 dollars and change? I've been playing all weekend and this game has a real cool atmosphere with the zones and music and has been a really chill solo experience. I'm really digging it.

As for buying anything else, he also mentioned a black friday sale coming up so hoping to see a discount on the riding skill, so I'll probably buy that with the lotro points I've saved up so far. Beyond that, honestly not sure what I would get next.

At this point, I'd say you've got a choice- the Black Friday sale will be coming up soon, and we expect a lot of stuff to go on sale around then- including hopefully the two expansions not covered by the 99-point sale (Fate of Gundabad won't be catching a sale for a while seeing as it just came out), so if you're thinking of grabbing a stack of LOTRO points to get some stuff, I'd wait to see what they do then- but if there's something small or something you just can't wait to grab, my advice is to not go overboard just yet.

It's also a good idea to at least keep an eye on the official forums for the game, as well- every week there's a coupon code released that gives you a little freebie (this week it's for a crafting XP boost), and a bunch of stuff also goes on sale (this week, surprisingly, is all about mounts and riding).

You might also look at a month of VIP and making a mess of characters to take advantage of having it open (you can see the membership differences here - currently, if you paid for points, that gives you Premium account status. It'd also solve your riding problem (VIP characters automatically get riding in a quest at Lv. 20).

There is a game thread for this in the MMO section, and I'm waiting to hear back from the mods about starting a new thread for it that has information and links to useful stuff in it like the other MMO threads do (the current thread is pretty old and has nothing but a ten-year-old shitpost to start it off). But I think if you give me a few days I could whip something up for it anyways.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Aw fuck, my eyes still see all the whirling icons and shots from forged alliance.

Still, only series that truely let me manifest an artillary barrage on a strategic level.

For field level, bad company 2

Sniper!
    What's he doing?
    I dunno
    *whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr BOOM!*

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Syberia 2 off the backlog. Alot less backtracking made it "better" than the first.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    übergeek wrote: »
    Syberia 2 off the backlog. Alot less backtracking made it "better" than the first.

Including a gang of murderous penguins helped a lot, too.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    So there’s 8 things on sale in this LOTRO content thing for 99 funbux each. But funbux are only available at a minimum of 600. I can’t buy 800 straight up, so I guess I skip two of the things.

This is vexing.

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    So there’s 8 things on sale in this LOTRO content thing for 99 funbux each. But funbux are only available at a minimum of 600. I can’t buy 800 straight up, so I guess I skip two of the things.

This is vexing.

You can earn more in-game by doing deeds. Stuff like exploring, slaying a certain number of kinds of enemies, and doing a certain number of quests in each zone gives you anywhere from 5 to 20 LOTRO points each (for example, killing thirty wolves in Ered Luin gets you five points. Killing a further sixty (for the advanced deed) gets you ten more. If you do all five Slayer deeds in the zone, that's 15 points per deed times five different enemy types for 75 free points. If you get every deed you can in that same zone, that's 110 points just for playing the game (75 for slayer deeds, 20 for exploration, 15 for doing 30 quests in the zone).

The best part? Every zone is like this. They all have points for you to explore, slayer deeds for you to fulfill, and free points just waiting for you to earn them.

I use these maps to figure out the best way to get everything. Don't forget to do all the stuff in all three starter zones (Ered Luin, The Shire, Bree-land) and you'll make the extra 200 you need in a heartbeat- and then some.

The best part? Every time you make a character, you can earn the same points for the same deeds all over again.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    FlorinFlorin Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    True you can make the points pretty easy in LOTRO. I've been farming them a lot in the past few months and by now I can make 100+ in 1.5 hours. Even if you don't know what you're doing you can still make them pretty easy. There's no other game that I know of where you can earn store currency that easy, I wish it was possible sending points as a gift because I would just send you some of my own.

Florin on
  • Options
    Steamworld Dig 2 is short. Not bad.

Completely forgot everything from the first game, including my character in that.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Yeah, Steamworld Dig 1&2 have pretty forgettable stories, but I'm totally cool with that because the story takes a backseat to the gameplay, which seems like a rarity for non-roguelike single-player indie games these days.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »

This is vexing.

I had the same issue, but two of those from what I understand are instance or dungeon packs, so I skipped those for now since I see myself playing this more solo at least for the time being.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I've been lurking the LOTRO discussion. (It popped up just as my family is in the middle of our yearly LOTR viewing)
    I installed it on desktop, than thought it might be nice to have it on my laptop. I copied the SteamApps LOTRO folder from my desktop to laptop, then I had steam install LOTRO. It scanned all the files but then downloaded the whole thing over again anyway. Then the launcher had to download updates.

On a different note, Saints Row 3 turned 10 yesterday.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=egNGa41tRac

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    33z5ynao8wry.png

@Orivon noticed.

Thanks a lot. <3<3
    ad4pxuotvqjk.png

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    So I had a bunch of bundle codes I was going to drop back before the codes tag broke that I'm still sitting on. I don't know if the tag ever got fixed but I'm just gonna throw them out there either way.

The only caveat, because I've been sitting on them for so long I don't recall if I ever used any - I'm 90% sure didn't touch any of them, but I can't be absolutely sure. If you're fine trying your luck then go ahead and send me a PM for whatever you want and I'll send the code I have.
    Inside My Radio
    Geometry Wars 3 Dimensions Evolved Mystery
    STAR WARS™ Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast™
    Men of War: Assault Squad 2
    Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
    Tesla Force
    Overlord: Ultimate Evil Collection
    STAR WARS Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords
    2Dark
    Fractured Minds

Thief of Thieves: Season One
    Yoku's Island Express
    Gas Guzzlers Extreme
    The Walking Dead: Michonne - A Telltale Miniseries
    Bridge Constructor Stunts
    Darkness Within 1: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder
    Darkness Within 2: The Dark Lineage
    Battlestar Galactica Deadlock
    Inside My Radio

Bridge Constructor Stunts
    Thief of Thieves: Season One
    Prank Call
    The Last Crown: Midnight Horror
    DreadOut: Keepers of The Dark
    Death in the Water
    Overcooked!
    Blasphemous
    Worms
    Earth Atlantis

Last Knight: Rogue Rider Edition
    Luxuria Superbia
    Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair
    Epistory - Typing Chronicles
    Star Wolves
    Pumped BMX Pro
    Planet Alcatraz
    Torchlight II
    Rebel Galaxy

Donnicton on
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Isorn wrote: »
    Orivon noticed.
    You fool... You did it again, didn't you?
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Oh dang, @Pixelated Pixie sending me some nice smut :D Thanks!

gb14Ogl.png

A furry sex cabaret sure sounds like somewhere I'd visit.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Took me a long time to get around to accepting it, totally 105% my fault.
    5xlfsmya0ayi.jpg
    Thank you @Pixelated Pixie for Devour! I'm sorry I'm just a little late accepting this Halloween themed and sent gift. >.>

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Devour is pretty good stupid fun.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Halo Beta is out and on Steam for free. Not sure I would have said those words even 10 years ago, but here we are.

• Options
    Halo Beta is out and on Steam for free. Not sure I would have said those words even 10 years ago, but here we are.

Having been completely media blind to Halo Infinite since the initial E3 trailer, I was wondering what they could be so supremely confident about the single player compared to past Halos that they would put the campaign as a separate $60 purchase from the multiplayer and think that would sell - and I guess according to the campaign overview trailer they're basically turning it into Sci-fi Far Cry? Ok sure I could get behind that.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Ive never played Halo 4 or 5(which isnt on pc for some reason) but im actually interested in Infinite. Still lots of Halo to get through ahead of me, but its kinda like an old comfort series that I can slide back into the nostalgia for. I still have my master chief helmet that came with the Halo 3 Legendary Edition.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Thanks, @Donnicton that code for Walking Dead worked. Now I can play as a Samurai Lawyer in the post-Apocalypse.

• Options
    QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    There appears to have been a miscommunication. @Moss seems to think it is my birthday

2cy9bsvfgs67.jpg

Thank you for Unpacking. Monster <3

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Questor wrote: »
    There appears to have been a miscommunication. @Moss seems to think it is my birthday

2cy9bsvfgs67.jpg

That is a gamecube, not a kitchen appliance

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Steamworld dig 2 is too cute

ur too cute

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Well, I installed LOTRO, currently looking at the chargen screen. Man, is it harder that I expected to get past the WoW era graphical style. That look that is too early to get an engine that loooks good default ala FFXIV, but too late to have a charming low-poly feel, kind of thing.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Questor wrote: »

2cy9bsvfgs67.jpg

That is a gamecube, not a kitchen appliance

Ha! I'm playing this via GamePass right now, and the ones that have vexed me so far are some cylindrical tube thing that apparently belongs in a bedroom, and some kitchen magnets.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Well, I installed LOTRO, currently looking at the chargen screen. Man, is it harder that I expected to get past the WoW era graphical style. That look that is too early to get an engine that loooks good default ala FFXIV, but too late to have a charming low-poly feel, kind of thing.

Yep, this is where I've fallen flat every time I've tried to play LOTRO.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Donnicton wrote: »

Having been completely media blind to Halo Infinite since the initial E3 trailer, I was wondering what they could be so supremely confident about the single player compared to past Halos that they would put the campaign as a separate $60 purchase from the multiplayer and think that would sell - and I guess according to the campaign overview trailer they're basically turning it into Sci-fi Far Cry? Ok sure I could get behind that.

I think what Microsoft would say is that sure you can pay $60 for the Halo infinite campaign but really you should just spend $15/month for game pass and get it, with 150+ other games along with it.

In all practicality though, decoupling the multiplayer from the campaign is smart. Halo multiplayer can just be a living service, and when 343 decides to make the next Halo story driven experience, they don't have to fracture the user base by making another game with another multiplayer experience. And hopefully they do it in a way that's better than Call of Duty Warzone where they have to include the entire warzone game with every CoD which leads to CoD games of 200GB+

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice just got a free update with some nice features:
    • DX12
    • Accessibility features (full controller and keyboard remapping, subtitle customisation and colour blindness presets)
    • DLSS
    • AMD FSR
    • Ray Tracing

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice just got a free update with some nice features:
    • DX12
    • Accessibility features (full controller and keyboard remapping, subtitle customisation and colour blindness presets)
    • DLSS
    • AMD FSR
    • Ray Tracing

Damn. That game was already gorgeous af. Now I have to go see how much prettier it is with RT...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Dragonball Dead By Daylight
    https://youtu.be/orSmTNux_ec

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

I think what Microsoft would say is that sure you can pay $60 for the Halo infinite campaign but really you should just spend $15/month for game pass and get it, with 150+ other games along with it.

In all practicality though, decoupling the multiplayer from the campaign is smart. Halo multiplayer can just be a living service, and when 343 decides to make the next Halo story driven experience, they don't have to fracture the user base by making another game with another multiplayer experience. And hopefully they do it in a way that's better than Call of Duty Warzone where they have to include the entire warzone game with every CoD which leads to CoD games of 200GB+

I actually do have Gamepass courtesy of another one of those $1 / 3 months deals so if they do add it to (PC) Gamepass that'd be perfectly fine with me.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

I actually do have Gamepass courtesy of another one of those $1 / 3 months deals so if they do add it to (PC) Gamepass that'd be perfectly fine with me.

Every Microsoft owned game is a game pass game.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Bought a new game for the first time in ages, Ruined King: A League of Legends Story. I get to the first battle and KBAM controls just don't work properly. Menu says ESC closes, hitting ESC does nothing but clicking on the ESC button closes it for example. I finally manage to start a quick strike with keyboard controls and speech bubbles with [...] appear on every combatant and nothing else happens. You'd think I could get a bit further than 10 minutes before hitting a game-stopping bug though I was a bit concerned already when I couldn't open the chest in the first room of the prologue.

At least Steam has refunds but I'm still pretty mad as the game looks very cool and I loved their previous game.

• Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    How the hell can you guys gift each other so often? Who can afford that amount of generosity?

camo_sig2.png