Options

[Steam] Remote Play Together Sale (2/28 - 3/7) - Get some games! Play with friends!

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Yeah ESO is a good single player experience for a mmo, and not a bad way to explore the lore and the world until or if we ever get 6.

Lord of the Rings Online also does the whole "single player experience" really, really well, too. Plus if you're even a small fan of Tolkien's world, it's full of lore and references and everything you'll find. (I mean, they have actual Tolkien experts on staff helping them to massage the lore into the game without stretching it more than they have to- plus, there's a big content sale going on at the moment until the end of November where you can get a huge chunk of the game for less than ten bucks, and the biggest sale of the year- Black Friday- coming in two weeks, too! It's the perfect time to get in on it!)

Oh damn I might need to check that out. I just in and out of lotro, but have never bought any content. Any recommendations or is it all one big pack for sale?

Enter the code LOTROQUESTS2021 in the in-game store and you’ll get all the quest packs for free, and there’s a number of quest and instance packs available for 99 LOTRO points each that will give you the first six expansions.

If you’re looking for anything else, the best thing to do is try to put off major purchases until Black Friday rolls around and see what catches a discount.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Yeah ESO is a good single player experience for a mmo, and not a bad way to explore the lore and the world until or if we ever get 6.

Lord of the Rings Online also does the whole "single player experience" really, really well, too. Plus if you're even a small fan of Tolkien's world, it's full of lore and references and everything you'll find. (I mean, they have actual Tolkien experts on staff helping them to massage the lore into the game without stretching it more than they have to- plus, there's a big content sale going on at the moment until the end of November where you can get a huge chunk of the game for less than ten bucks, and the biggest sale of the year- Black Friday- coming in two weeks, too! It's the perfect time to get in on it!)

Oh damn I might need to check that out. I just in and out of lotro, but have never bought any content. Any recommendations or is it all one big pack for sale?

Enter the code LOTROQUESTS2021 in the in-game store and you’ll get all the quest packs for free, and there’s a number of quest and instance packs available for 99 LOTRO points each that will give you the first six expansions.

If you’re looking for anything else, the best thing to do is try to put off major purchases until Black Friday rolls around and see what catches a discount.

Wow, thanks. That code looked like it gave me a lot.

Now I'm seeing what I think you're talking about. Like Expansion Quests: Mordor for example. So this will give me the quests, but not necessarily the expansion pack? What would I be missing if I got this vs the actual expansion?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I dunno what it is, Pix, but you have a talent for getting the most out character designers.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Started up Dark Souls 2 for the first time and began as a deprived cause why not and holy shit I want a different weapon than this stupid dagger
    Back in Majula, along the cliff face back by things betwixt, there's some drops you can do to get a mace, iirc.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I dunno what it is, Pix, but you have a talent for getting the most out character designers.

g67o5spbz9g7.png

Thanks! <3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Florin wrote: »

That's another good one yea, I hope it's gonna stay alive for a few more years because I'll switch to it after ESO. Also all quest packs are free to keep in LOTRO until the end of this month.

Considering they just launched a new expansion two days ago, I think there's still a lot of life left in this one. It's got a solid playerbase in it too!

I might give LotRO a shot then. Since I essentially have to buy a game 4 times to play it (three kids), seems like a good time to get that content in everyone's library.

First off, a few caveats: to get the most out of it right now, you'll have to drop a little money per account to pick up the on-sale expansions. There are nine total expansions (Mines of Moria, Siege of Mirkwood, Rise of Isengard, Riders of Rohan, Helm's Deep, Mordor, Minas Morgul, War of Three Peaks, and Fate of Gundabad). There's enough in the way on sale to pick up the first six expansions in 99-point packs, but it beats dropping $60 per account for the expansion collection, and unless you're binging on the game for eight to ten hours a day, that should be a long, long time until you hit the end of that content. The big Black Friday sale is oncoming, as well, and odds are at least the seventh expansion will be getting a good sale, and we're hoping the eighth gets one too- if that happens, you ought to grab those while they're still cheap (better to grab them when they're cheap even if they don't play them now instead of having to pay the full price four times over if they like it in the future, anyways). Fate of Gundabad, however, will be only available from the official site cash shop until sometime around March next year, when it'll get bumped into the in-game shop for LOTRO points, and it'll be a while before it gets a drop in price.

Each person will need a LOTRO account, which is free, but you'll need to make a character on each account and log into the game because the store where you redeem the codes and buy the on-sale expansions is in-game. There is some stuff paywalled (a few races and character classes) - it is a F2P MMO- but there's nothing really gamebreaking hidden away in the cash shop. But the good news is that you can link a Steam account to the game and buy points and things using your Steam balance if you don't feel like plugging in a Paypal or a credit card.

@JaysonFour Thanks, dude. You are a gentleman and a scholar, despite what your Reddit history may show. :biggrin:

Quick question (hence the ping)...someone was saying something about a lasting benefit to subscribing to VIP for at least a month? I'm not opposed to dropping the ~$10 in points per kid to get the content, as well as a one-month subscription if there's a carry-over benefit to subscribing for just a month. I shook the Internet 8-Ball, and the answer I got back was "unclear".

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like Call of Duty Vanguard looked at battlefield 5 and said " hold my beer " i.e. assault rifles and barrel magazines in ww2

• Options
    FlorinFlorin Registered User regular

Now I'm seeing what I think you're talking about. Like Expansion Quests: Mordor for example. So this will give me the quests, but not necessarily the expansion pack? What would I be missing if I got this vs the actual expansion?

It's really confusing but from what I understand it depends on each expansion, the full versions don't offer much of value. Full expansion of Mordor offers High Elf Race and an extra character slot (plus a few items) but you can buy them separately at a later date anyway. I think out of all of them only the full version of Moria offers the best value because you get 2 extra character slots + warden and runekeeper.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

It's really confusing but from what I understand it depends on each expansion, the full versions don't offer much of value. Full expansion of Mordor offers High Elf Race and an extra character slot (plus a few items) but you can buy them separately at a later date anyway. I think out of all of them only the full version of Moria offers the best value because you get 2 extra character slots + warden and runekeeper.

Nice. Thanks. Good deal for sure. So beyond the expansion quest packs is there anything else that is recommended? It looks like I'll still have some points left over.

Steam: offday
  • Options

The 99-point packs give you access to the quests and/or instances for the expansion, and nothing else- no pack-in cosmetics and the like, no access to new races/classes (which you can still buy for full price on the store and come out ahead of the usual price). It's still a pretty solid deal.

That's another good one yea, I hope it's gonna stay alive for a few more years because I'll switch to it after ESO. Also all quest packs are free to keep in LOTRO until the end of this month.

Considering they just launched a new expansion two days ago, I think there's still a lot of life left in this one. It's got a solid playerbase in it too!

I might give LotRO a shot then. Since I essentially have to buy a game 4 times to play it (three kids), seems like a good time to get that content in everyone's library.

First off, a few caveats: to get the most out of it right now, you'll have to drop a little money per account to pick up the on-sale expansions. There are nine total expansions (Mines of Moria, Siege of Mirkwood, Rise of Isengard, Riders of Rohan, Helm's Deep, Mordor, Minas Morgul, War of Three Peaks, and Fate of Gundabad). There's enough in the way on sale to pick up the first six expansions in 99-point packs, but it beats dropping $60 per account for the expansion collection, and unless you're binging on the game for eight to ten hours a day, that should be a long, long time until you hit the end of that content. The big Black Friday sale is oncoming, as well, and odds are at least the seventh expansion will be getting a good sale, and we're hoping the eighth gets one too- if that happens, you ought to grab those while they're still cheap (better to grab them when they're cheap even if they don't play them now instead of having to pay the full price four times over if they like it in the future, anyways). Fate of Gundabad, however, will be only available from the official site cash shop until sometime around March next year, when it'll get bumped into the in-game shop for LOTRO points, and it'll be a while before it gets a drop in price.

Each person will need a LOTRO account, which is free, but you'll need to make a character on each account and log into the game because the store where you redeem the codes and buy the on-sale expansions is in-game. There is some stuff paywalled (a few races and character classes) - it is a F2P MMO- but there's nothing really gamebreaking hidden away in the cash shop. But the good news is that you can link a Steam account to the game and buy points and things using your Steam balance if you don't feel like plugging in a Paypal or a credit card.

JaysonFour Thanks, dude. You are a gentleman and a scholar, despite what your Reddit history may show. :biggrin:

Quick question (hence the ping)...someone was saying something about a lasting benefit to subscribing to VIP for at least a month? I'm not opposed to dropping the ~$10 in points per kid to get the content, as well as a one-month subscription if there's a carry-over benefit to subscribing for just a month. I shook the Internet 8-Ball, and the answer I got back was "unclear".

There are three levels of membership- Free (pretty much download the game and start playing), Premium (buy LOTRO points or something off the cash shop), and VIP (costs fifteen bucks per account per month).

VIP is actually pretty useful- for $15 a month, you get a lot of things, as shown here on this handy page from the wiki:

Account Types

About a third or halfway down the page is a chart displaying the benefits of each level of membership. If you spring for a month of VIP (or hell, buy LOTRO points or spend any real money at all on the game) and let it run out, you're only demoted to a premium account, which might not have as much in the way of benefits, but it's still more than the free players.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    can i be a gollum type creature in LOTRO that solely exists to grief other players

because I would play that class

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    don't be that guy :(

• Options
    FlorinFlorin Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Zavian wrote: »
    can i be a gollum type creature in LOTRO that solely exists to grief other players

because I would play that class

Yep, just install hacks.

Florin on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Thanks for the help. It looks like inventory slots, traits, and fast travel stay unlocked after buying VIP for characters created while having VIP. I'll derp around a bit in game and make a call there. But honestly, money's not nearly as important as having fun with the kids.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    For fuck's sake, Dead By Daylight. Incredible looking Dark Souls-like new map. Cool as fuck new killer.

Aaaand a major security hole in the PTB that revealed an exploit in the live game letting assholes use it to dox anybody they're matched with, which was immediately picked up by transphobic shitbags and used to swat a half dozen trans streamers in the course of a week.

Lovely.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    For fuck's sake, Dead By Daylight. Incredible looking Dark Souls-like new map. Cool as fuck new killer.

Aaaand a major security hole in the PTB that revealed an exploit in the live game letting assholes use it to dox anybody they're matched with, which was immediately picked up by transphobic shitbags and used to swat a half dozen trans streamers in the course of a week.

Lovely.

jfc :(

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Syberia off the backlog and Steel Rats onto my not interested category. Syberia is a nice game, but a bit of a pain being so old. Steel Rats is a nice idea but precision platforming with mototcycles is cumbersome, I might go back to it once I clear the backlog.

Syberia 2 is up next.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    There was one brief stretch where Dead By Daylight had its shit together a few years back. There were issues with the loading screen and matchmaking but the game was stable. Ever since the start of 2020, if feels like each patch introduces a new problem.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiwWH4mI_Yc

• Options

Lovely.

Did that hbo tech bro show feature a fuckup that bad?

Because fuck!

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    From wh
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    What's up with Rockstar and leaving stuff in the game that shouldn't be there?
    Also, people will just mod the songs back in there, so it doesn't really matter if Michael Jackson music was buried in the files or not.
    Not only is it music files, that "holy grail" is from what I can tell basically chunks of uncompiled scripting/source code
    Well, it could be wo... oh wait!
    The entire source code of GTA Trilogy - The Definitive Edition has been leaked. It was included in the Switch game files.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    What do you mean by a Dark Souls-like map?

• Options

Lovely.

Did that hbo tech bro show feature a fuckup that bad?

Because fuck!

From what I can tell after looking things up a bit more, it started before the PTB, but the hackers went into overdrive during the PTB for maximum asshole-ness. It's hard finding details on what exactly is going on except that hackers can somehow grab people's IPs when matched with them.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-11-11-dead-by-daylight-streamers-are-being-ddos-attacked

I've actually played against Elix once, and 4Ked her team despite an awful start. Granted, it was as Hag on The Game, and she was playing solo with fairly weak teammates (before 'SBMM' times), but still. Her chat were dicks since she's a Hag main, far better than me, and knew both to and how to safely fuck up my traps. I lost both my hexes 20 seconds into the match though, so people literally spawned on top of them...
    emnmnme wrote: »
    There was one brief stretch where Dead By Daylight had its shit together a few years back. There were issues with the loading screen and matchmaking but the game was stable. Ever since the start of 2020, if feels like each patch introduces a new problem.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiwWH4mI_Yc

I don't consider that to be a particularly egregious example. Hit validation is always going to have iffy cases with netplay, even for much higher budget stuff, and I think that kind of 360ing is kind of bullshit anyway. That said, there's far more worse examples of it you can find, and they've been fucking with the hit validation algorithms for like the last four months, so as soon as you get used to the new wonky rules for it, they change again. I don't even remember what the initial fix/change was supposed to be for that fucked so much up in the first place. The graphical redesign of the pallets? Pallet vacuums? The current rollback system feels awful on the killer side at any rate.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    What do you mean by a Dark Souls-like map?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmJPW-60bmU

Also, the new survivor is Miami Vice Guy Fieri, so that's that.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like Call of Duty Vanguard looked at battlefield 5 and said " hold my beer " i.e. assault rifles and barrel magazines in ww2

I imagine they more looked at Call of Duty: WW2, which also had all that stuff.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I guess page 12 is as good as ever. I'll be doing my Extra-Life 2021 marathon on Saturday, November 27th. It's later than usual and it'll only be ~12 hours, but I imagine I'll start around 10am EST and go until I get tired which will probably be around midnight. My goal will be $2k as always, and I'll be raffling the usual steam prizes (One steam game of your choice, and a $100USD digital Steam Card) from the previous runs, but nothing physical this time around. All you need to do to enter the raffle is donate at least $5 by the following Sunday morning. I'll pull winners then and post them here :). Try to include your PA name in the donation message so I can message you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Koopah is the dono link! I'll have a Twitch extension up on my channel as well thanks to Extra-Life making streamer's lives easy.

Thanks friends! <3

This is in two weeks! Get your donos in! <3

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Also, thank you @Berylline for pushing me over $300! <3 You're awesome, Bunny!

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    ?

Fun with photomode.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

He looks like he’s stranded there, and considering what happens later, to death.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Is Cyberpunk 2077 finally in a playable state or should I continue waiting? It sounds like it still has a way to go patching wise and I am not in a particular rush if they are still fixing it.

I'm playing it now for the 3rd time. With the help of some indispensable mods like the full gameplay rebalance and better vehicle first person, it's fine, though there's still some janky shit going on, like NPCs overlapping each other or walking through your character, physics bugs, and exploding meshes.

I wouldn't play it unmodded at this point, but in the state my game's in I'm having a shitload of fun.

edit: I almost passed up a chance to show off my latest character!

Just don't be the idiot and play it on PS4 like me... ooh lordy.

That said, may as well share my V:
    snq8zhum36zd.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    @Karoz is gifting again. And he's not even drunk.

Thanks for Disco Elysium.

• Options
    7m7ic0k3hznp.png

@Karoz has sent me some old rings! Err, Elden Ring!

Damn dude, you crazy.

Thanks! Looking forward to this one coming out. <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    gBAZgBAZ Registered User regular
    gahxqza3bo6e.jpg
    @Karoz gifted me space dwarves. Installed, now to play it when I wake up. Ty.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I too have been gifted by @Karoz ! He assured me he wasn't drunk, so I accepted.

hopj6aQ.png

Thanks! Can't wait for it to come out! I watched some of the stress test footage and it looked super cool. All games with mounts should have a double jump ability for the mount.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Thanks for the help. It looks like inventory slots, traits, and fast travel stay unlocked after buying VIP for characters created while having VIP. I'll derp around a bit in game and make a call there. But honestly, money's not nearly as important as having fun with the kids.

No problem!

The same company also runs a second MMO doing the same thing: Dungeons and Dragons Online. It has a similar code- DDOQUESTS2021 - that gives you all the free quest packs, and it has several of the expansions for 99 DDO points. It's designed for either a solo playthrough or a group to play through, and each adventure is narrated by a DM. There are standalone adventures and long campaigns that you can embark on. The only problem with it is that it's based on D&D, so levelling up is a bit of a pain if you don't know what you're doing... but there are lots of wonderful people at the DDO Reddit and on the official forums that love making character builds for new players, so it's not as much of a problem as it might seem.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

No problem!

The same company also runs a second MMO doing the same thing: Dungeons and Dragons Online. It has a similar code- DDOQUESTS2021 - that gives you all the free quest packs, and it has several of the expansions for 99 DDO points. It's designed for either a solo playthrough or a group to play through, and each adventure is narrated by a DM. There are standalone adventures and long campaigns that you can embark on. The only problem with it is that it's based on D&D, so levelling up is a bit of a pain if you don't know what you're doing... but there are lots of wonderful people at the DDO Reddit and on the official forums that love making character builds for new players, so it's not as much of a problem as it might seem.

I remember trying DDOnline, back in the Second Age of the internet (read: in like 2009) and thinking that the dungeons and such seemed very neat. The narration and the fact that there were actual spot checks and stuff seemed pretty rad. I just wasn't sure How solo friendly it would be. And of course I expect in the intervening 12 years the game has probably grown a lot.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Okay, got through most of the Aeon swap of Forged alliance, uninstalling because that's several delicious hours.

I love this game.

• Options
    Drascin wrote: »

No problem!

I remember trying DDOnline, back in the Second Age of the internet (read: in like 2009) and thinking that the dungeons and such seemed very neat. The narration and the fact that there were actual spot checks and stuff seemed pretty rad. I just wasn't sure How solo friendly it would be. And of course I expect in the intervening 12 years the game has probably grown a lot.

A good 95% of the game is solo-friendly. There are a few quests that require a little finagling, and then a few quests and raids that you just can't do on your own, but yeah, most of the content is designed for either a solo run or a bunch of players. They've learned, and there's a handy wiki that should have maps and walkthroughs of everything out there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I was also not immune to the @Karoz non-drunkenness

715souzm18mf.jpg

Thank you for the cuteness of Death's Door <3 - but treat yoself more too, crazy monster

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Steamworld dig 2 is too cute

RoyceSraphim on