Options

Update your resume to get a new [Job] thread

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Well if you could just pop over and unlock my door for me that'd be grand.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Currently sat in my back garden waiting for a locksmith because everyone else in my household has gone away for the night and i never take my keys out to work, because there is always somebody home, only this time there isn't. Brain you have failed me once more.

Back when I lived in Louisiana, I woke up one morning at 4:30 am or so (usually get up around 7:00), so I went outside for a smoke. It was around 35 degrees, and all I had on was boxers, so it was a quick smoke. When I went back to go inside, I found the door was locked. Because apparently I had fancy door knobs that you could open from the inside while locked.

So, I knock rather loudly trying to wake my wife up, and she doesn't come out. So I decide to have another smoke then I was going to go around and tap on the window to get her up. Just as I went to light my cigarette, my wife came outside. Before I could drop my smoke and yell at her not to close the door, slam.

So that was how I ended up at my neighbors in my boxers at 4:45 am in near freezing weather asking them to call a locksmith.

The locksmith had a good sense of humor. He showed up to see me in my boxers and my wife in her nightgown and said, "I need to see some identification before I let you in." Thankfully, he was kidding.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I ordered a "learn how to lockpick" set for fun but also so I can pick a lock when all the keys to the cabinets eventually get lost.

At my work, there were some filing cabinets that had been locked, and the keys were long gone. I looked up how to pick locks, and managed to get them open with paperclips. Mind, these are very simple locks meant to annoy rather than actually keep people out. But I felt very cool while doing it.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I don't have any idea how to look for a job

It must be within an hour of my house, because we cannot possibly move at this time

I guess I could try to find other warehouses in my area

There is that web restaurant store warehouse 45 minutes away

But I'm not really sure how stable that place is

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I am quite curious about the identification thing because my wallet and anything else that proves I live here is all inside the house so is this guy just going to show up and let me into a random house just because I asked.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Have you tried breaking your own window, trying to crawl through, and horribly lacerating your arm on the glass requiring you to go to the hospital?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I am at a conference online this week. Its not very good and apparently last year was all online and everyone else is like "Why did they make it worse this year somehow??" and my guess? Its all about 'getting back to normal' and thus undercutting the online experience. According to their own metrics about 70% of attendees are online this year.

Oh and we've been doing interviews for the position of my boss. Many people are bad at this! People with years more experience then me! This makes me feel better about getting so nervous in interviews.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I am at a conference online this week. Its not very good and apparently last year was all online and everyone else is like "Why did they make it worse this year somehow??" and my guess? Its all about 'getting back to normal' and thus undercutting the online experience. According to their own metrics about 70% of attendees are online this year.

Oh and we've been doing interviews for the position of my boss. Many people are bad at this! People with years more experience then me! This makes me feel better about getting so nervous in interviews.

Is it Educause?

Because you are not the first person I've heard complaining about Educause.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I am quite curious about the identification thing because my wallet and anything else that proves I live here is all inside the house so is this guy just going to show up and let me into a random house just because I asked.

Yep. Chances are he'll give you a minute or two to prove you live there, and if you can't, he locks your ass right back outside and/or calls the bobbies.

• Options
    TheStig wrote: »
    Have you tried breaking your own window, trying to crawl through, and horribly lacerating your arm on the glass requiring you to go to the hospital?

Not yet, but so far he's failed to get into our house and is currently failing to get into my parents house next door, so that moment is getting closer.

I'm now sat in my van because it started raining, because of course it has.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Is it Educause?

It is! I chose this one over .conf last week and after hearing all the good things from the .conf people last week, I feel I made a poor choice

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Is it Educause?

It is! I chose this one over .conf last week and after hearing all the good things from the .conf people last week, I feel I made a poor choice

I suspect we both know our state's Splunk representative (name starts with a B). She'll talk your ear off about how annoying it is for her to be there right now. :D

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Was emotionally checked out today
    Trainee started asking if there was anyone else to train him and asking for chain of command.
    Forced dialog and got him being agreeable

"You're just trying to save you ass."
    "My ass does not need saving, now talk about how I failed you."

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

One time I locked myself out of my car and my registration was inside the car too. I called a locksmith and he came by and popped it open for me. I told him thanks, paid him, and told him I’d grab my registration to show him it was my car.

He just took his money, yelled “don’t worry about it” and bolted. After a few seconds of thinking about that I was slightly horrified.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    So this morning was fun.

Some scammer tried sending a pretty good phishing email into our distribution list, that we use for our financial system. They even made it more enticing by saying the file included "bonus information" (which no one around here gets).

However, our distro list has moderation turned on, so instead of sending it sent an alert to the mods to approve it going through. But somehow THAT message also ended up in moderation. It was then accidentally approved.

So everyone on the distro list got an email saying "Hey, this other email needs approving, please bug this person to approve it." Which set off all sorts of flags.

After figuring out WTF happened, and that no one was compromised, I used the email as a chance to educate folks on how to spot these more sophisticated phishing emails that look like they came from Teams or something.

(They even used a Beaker avatar! Which was weird because why would the "HR" email address use Beaker?)

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I ordered a "learn how to lockpick" set for fun but also so I can pick a lock when all the keys to the cabinets eventually get lost.

ngl if I ever meet someone who works as a librarian and it comes out they know how to pick locks I doubt I'd be even a little bit phased by that.

That just ... feels oddly inbounds

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »

ngl if I ever meet someone who works as a librarian and it comes out they know how to pick locks I doubt I'd be even a little bit phased by that.

That just ... feels oddly inbounds

It is all the forbidden tomes with locks binding them. Gotta index and catalogue them somehow, and they are impossible to line up flat on the shelf with the locks present.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

This thread is for complaining about our jobs, not drumming up business for them. :razz:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I don't have any idea how to look for a job

It must be within an hour of my house, because we cannot possibly move at this time

I guess I could try to find other warehouses in my area

There is that web restaurant store warehouse 45 minutes away

But I'm not really sure how stable that place is

Genuinely, I'd recommend hitting up Indeed or ZipRecruiter. Don't worry about your resume right now, go do some window shopping. Once you find work you might be interested in doing, you can start rebuilding your resume toward that end.

And as someone who recently did some job hunting and ended up not leaving my current job, be prepared for it to be bleak, and depressing. It's ... it's fucking bullshit out there.

But it's worth pursuing :bro:

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Well, the local indeed section is just fucking swamped with hundreds of department of defense jobs, like seriously hundreds, and whatever asshole posted them really needs their hands broken, because somehow, cook and mechanics jobs show up when I search "inventory" or warehouse or analyst

There must be a base somewhere, but I'll be damned if I ever seen it

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Local coffee roaster posted a listing for part time production assistant/delivery driver and I kind of want to apply even though I'm not in great health right now and don't know if I can lift 50 pounds like it says all that easy and it pays more than I can make and stay on disability.

• Options
    I'm in my house
    q1cct9ka2sd4.jpg

The locksmith was not a success

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Yikes. :( Sorry about that.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    looks like a murderhole

• Options
    Local coffee roaster posted a listing for part time production assistant/delivery driver and I kind of want to apply even though I'm not in great health right now and don't know if I can lift 50 pounds like it says all that easy and it pays more than I can make and stay on disability.

Screw it the chance of getting an interview seems pretty low and honestly I might as well. If they can't offer my flexibility in pay for my disability I don't have to accept the an offer either...

Now to try to update my resume... And figure out how to apply through this Facebook thing...

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    looks like a murderhole

You speak with surprising authority on murderholes.

• Options

Screw it the chance of getting an interview seems pretty low and honestly I might as well. If they can't offer my flexibility in pay for my disability I don't have to accept the an offer either...

Now to try to update my resume... And figure out how to apply through this Facebook thing...

This is the right attitude. Force them to tell you no, don't put up roadblocks for yourself.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    looks like a murderhole

Tuetons start with murderholes.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    looks like a murderhole

Where do you think she puts all the robots that misbehave?

• Options
    edited October 2021
    It’s not murder if it’s robots

https://youtu.be/UpAh9MMAnqs

minor incident on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    You know that feeling when you leave the exam, and as you are walking out the door, you realize the last step that you couldn't figure out suddenly makes sense, and you did it in a way that was not quite correct? But you were out of time, and you were so close, and now you are clawing at the locked door that you don't have a badge for, and all you need is "30 seconds, please, oh god the humanity."

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    sarukun wrote: »
    Yikes. :( Sorry about that.

Repairing the window will be cheaper than the locksmith would have been (he didn't charge me anything) so actually this is a good thing

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Still, murderhole.

But I’m glad you saved some money.

• Options
    I put cardboard over the murderhole. With how old and draughty the windows in this house are I think it's actually made that room warmer.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Brody wrote: »
    You know that feeling when you leave the exam, and as you are walking out the door, you realize the last step that you couldn't figure out suddenly makes sense, and you did it in a way that was not quite correct? But you were out of time, and you were so close, and now you are clawing at the locked door that you don't have a badge for, and all you need is "30 seconds, please, oh god the humanity."

q1cct9ka2sd4.jpg

Prolegomena on
  • Options
    Also, at no point did the guy ask me for any proof of ID or that I live here. Even after we'd broken the window and were standing inside the house where all of my things are kept.

• Options
    So this application is through Facebook so how does that work? I only ever used indeed a few years back...

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    looks like a murderhole

is it THAT surprising tho

• Options
    Ok

I applied

Had to look up the last time I had a job though too type into the dang thing

Apparently the company I worked for got bought out in 2020 anyway and doesn't exist anymore...

• Options
    Upon further review

No