Options

🖥️🎮 - Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon & Love Notes out today!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm playing Divinity 2 COOP with my friends. I think it's about the only way I would have gotten through it. It's far too fiddly otherwise and you need every scrap of XP possible. At least its usually pretty easy to tell in a fight early when you are absolutely fucked, and start over.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I wanna take a look at the first Divinity one day because it got so overshadowed by Neverwinter Nights and Morrowind in the year of its release

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    the old Divinities are nothing like the Original Sin series

shit, they're not even like each other.

the first Divinity is a Diablo clone

Divinity 2 remains a pretty good Gothic-style open-world action RPG, despite its incredible jank. also it has shoot-em-up sections where you're a dragon

there was also Dragon Commander which is like, an RTS game where you also can marry a representative of one of the races, including skeletons.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    I wanna take a look at the first Divinity one day because it got so overshadowed by Neverwinter Nights and Morrowind in the year of its release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VQh7MQRjYM

it's a weird game, somewhere betwen a diablo style action-RPG and arcanum/fallout

if you've played some of Larian's other games, this game probably has the most amount of their quirky "humor" writing, and at this point they hadn't learned how to pace it at all, so the story kinda oscillates between slapstick humor and world-ending plot mcguffins without warning

the gameplay itself is... uneven. It fully lets you fuck yourself over by running into enemies you couldn't possibly handle at your level, or by making builds that don't work, but at the same time there are a few basic skills that generally work so well that you can beat the game without even needing to experiment with anything else

the ARPG elements of it mean it's not quite as fussy to pick up and start playing as some of the other big CRPGs from that era, but it's still pretty janky and I'm not sure if I'd have the patience for it any more

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    So last night I stayed up to 1:30am completing a championship in Forza Horizon 5 to win a $2.7mill car.
    And in the very last race, I pulled off a come-from-behind win to take 1st place and close a 16-point gap to win the championship... and nothing. No win was recorded. No points or Prizes for winning the championship were awarded.

Apparantly this happens to some people. The game bugs and just doesn't award winning prizes for seasonal championships, and that's just how it is. But people have had success with only racing the championship races left-to-right on the map.

I wasn't about to try to remedy this at 2am, so this morning I started again, driving all the way across the map to start the championship before driving all the way back to the left to start that race first, then driving all the the way back across the map from left-to-right a third time, doing each race in turn. Fuck, the Forza map is big now.

Anyway, I got a 3rd in the first race, and picked up a 2nd in the second. Going into the final race, I was tied for second on points with @Perrsun's Drivatar and just ahead of @PaperLuigi44' Drivatar who was close behind. The Championship leader was some Rando, but they were starting at the back of the grid, so I wasn't worried about them. @Perrsun was starting at the front, though, and I'd have to finish ahead of them - and not more than 1 place behind @PaperLuigi44 - to take the Championship.

Fuck me, I was sweating bullets through the first lap to gain up to 4th, and could see @Perrsun and @PaperLuigi44 jockeying in 1st & 2nd. All I needed to do was get up to 2nd in the final 2 laps and make sure @Perssun was behind me and I'd take the crown. I'm not going to say that I was completely clean in muscling my way past @Perssun, but the end result saw me finish 2nd in the final race, beating @PaperLuigi44 to the Championship by 2 points overall.

And this time the game registered the win and awarded the car, so the left-to-right thing might have worked? Which is good, because that was fucking difficult at that difficulty and I may well have quit in disgust if the game didn't award me something I've won twice now.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Yeah I’ve had that exact issue multiple times, between that and the arcade events still being basically empty, I’ve found this forza 5 launch way less reliable in online terms than previous ones

Also playing spiderman miles morales and man some of these costumes are so good

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    FH5 has a bunch of events and challenges that are just broken or straight up impossible to achieve, and it's the probably the sketchiest launch of the series. Complained about it in the G&T thread, but I was doing some challenges while listening to background stuff, just kinda zen-ing out, when the last one reset the progress of all the others. Two hours down the hole. What the hell.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    FH5 has a bunch of events and challenges that are just broken or straight up impossible to achieve, and it's the probably the sketchiest launch of the series. Complained about it in the G&T thread, but I was doing some challenges while listening to background stuff, just kinda zen-ing out, when the last one reset the progress of all the others. Two hours down the hole. What the hell.
    Windows Store - Mouse Cursor is stuck on screen at all times

huh, I thought it was just me. Also while it's not as if FH3 or FH4 launched quickly, it feels like this one is even slower than before. It sure is pretty, though.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Er sooo going back to Oblivion - what graphics mods are you guys using? I'm getting a bit overwhelmed with the sheer volume of mods this game has, but I've started with a few essentials/utilities (Wrye Bash, OBSE, LOOT, unofficial patches, etc), but no big graphics mod yet.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    @djmitchella Xbox updates are normally slower because of approval processes, but I can wait.

@Fishman

https://youtu.be/nVjSnDWlczE

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2021
    just now finished Yakuza Kiwami 2! and...it was really good!

I loved 0, which having played just a scant eight weeks ago has rocketed to the upper echelons of my favorite games of all time list. I enjoyed Kiwami's gameplay and some aspects of the narrative - particularly the new story sections added to the remake, which were clearly made by an experienced team at the top of their game - but the actual base story of Yakuza 1 is rough, ambling, and largely aimless, with important characters who are absent from big chunks of the game and a protagonist who misses out on many of the game's most pivotal events. The narrative makes sense, in an overwrought anime kind of way, but only as the final bad guys are literally explaining the plot to you in the last moments of the game, when any chance of emotional engagement has long since flown the coop. Without the added context from the remake, I think I would have bounced hard off of the narrative of the original game.

Yakuza 2's narrative is much much much more in line with 0's, and more like what I had gone into this series expecting - a big crime epic with high stakes, warring families, tense underworld boardroom meetings, cops digging into cold cases etc etc, and the plot is much more coherent and focused. It hits those big moments you want to see, like fleets of menacing dark luxury cars zooming in formation down the highway, or shirtless men screaming at each other about LOYALTY in the rain. I haven't read much/anything about the behind-the-scenes but given that the original Yakuza 2 came out like a year after the first game, it kind of feels like maybe the original game was almost a proof-of-concept and 2 is where the team really started to nail down what they actually wanted the series to do. It's still a rougher, more primitive, obviously 2000s-era story than Yakuza 0, but it's already leaps and bounds ahead of its predecessor.

I never played Yakuza 2 so I have no basis for comparison, but the remake seems really good? The upgrade to the Yakuza 6 from the 5 engine isn't a huge obvious step forward - character models and animations are a little slicker, the streets are more lively and crowded, the lights are bloomier and reflect and scatter more realistically - but the difference becomes more apparent as you play and you notice that like, lots of the game interiors aren't separated from the city by a loading screen anymore, and you can just seamlessly walk into most businesses, explore alleys, go up and down staircases that used to be just background elements, etc. It's just a sleeker, tighter package. The combat system has had a couple of changes and while it's still got a bit of the 90s arcade game jank that I just sort of expect from the spiritual successor to Shenmue, it's a lot smoother and easier to handle.

The remake also adds a couple of short but well-done new chapters with an additional protagonist character that wraps up some remaining loose ends from Yakuza 0 in a very welcome, satisfying way. I may have shed a manly, samurai tear or two.

The new experience system is fairly easy to break, so I went into the final confrontations kind of hilariously overleveled. The last couple of boss fights were like ten minute cutscene, tears and shouting, men ripping off their shirts, then I get control and my guy glows blue and I go WHAM WHAM WHAM and suddenly it's over, lmao.

Anyway, what to play next, hmm...

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    if only Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise was on pc

https://youtu.be/dJcbCKMmIk0

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Platy wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VQh7MQRjYM

it's a weird game, somewhere betwen a diablo style action-RPG and arcanum/fallout

if you've played some of Larian's other games, this game probably has the most amount of their quirky "humor" writing, and at this point they hadn't learned how to pace it at all, so the story kinda oscillates between slapstick humor and world-ending plot mcguffins without warning

the gameplay itself is... uneven. It fully lets you fuck yourself over by running into enemies you couldn't possibly handle at your level, or by making builds that don't work, but at the same time there are a few basic skills that generally work so well that you can beat the game without even needing to experiment with anything else

the ARPG elements of it mean it's not quite as fussy to pick up and start playing as some of the other big CRPGs from that era, but it's still pretty janky and I'm not sure if I'd have the patience for it any more

That colour palette is... Interesting.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    There's a lot of Divinity that feels like a digital version of a D&D game to me, but I do not intend that as a compliment.

A lot of it is like, the idea of the weirdly permissive GM who will let you use your utility spells to do literally anything if you can come up with a half decent explanation as to how that might work. Which like, I get, I love those stories of beating a campaign villain with the right application of Grease, but when it gets coded into the game you end up with things still feeling weirdly rigid while also wanting you to come up with the "creative" solution.

I agree, but after ragging on the game earlier, I’m just now reminded of one of my favorite fights:

Mid game spoilers:
    Having the fight in the wood tower gallows that just ends with everything on fire as oil and flame elementals come out of the woodwork as you fight was beautiful fun and chaos.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    One of the wierder aspects with Divine Divinity was that it made a whole mechanic around letting you click and drag environmental objects around a la Ultima 7.

like your secret trapdoors hidden by a pile of hay you can click and drag off into the corner, et al.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

I loved 0, which having played just a scant eight weeks ago has rocketed to the upper echelons of my favorite games of all time list. I enjoyed Kiwami's gameplay and some aspects of the narrative - particularly the new story sections added to the remake, which were clearly made by an experienced team at the top of their game - but the actual base story of Yakuza 1 is rough, ambling, and largely aimless, with important characters who are absent from big chunks of the game and a protagonist who misses out on many of the game's most pivotal events. The narrative makes sense, in an overwrought anime kind of way, but only as the final bad guys are literally explaining the plot to you in the last moments of the game, when any chance of emotional engagement has long since flown the coop. Without the added context from the remake, I think I would have bounced hard off of the narrative of the original game.

Yakuza 2's narrative is much much much more in line with 0's, and more like what I had gone into this series expecting - a big crime epic with high stakes, warring families, tense underworld boardroom meetings, cops digging into cold cases etc etc, and the plot is much more coherent and focused. It hits those big moments you want to see, like fleets of menacing dark luxury cars zooming in formation down the highway, or shirtless men screaming at each other about LOYALTY in the rain. I haven't read much/anything about the behind-the-scenes but given that the original Yakuza 2 came out like a year after the first game, it kind of feels like maybe the original game was almost a proof-of-concept and 2 is where the team really started to nail down what they actually wanted the series to do. It's still a rougher, more primitive, obviously 2000s-era story than Yakuza 0, but it's already leaps and bounds ahead of its predecessor.

I never played Yakuza 2 so I have no basis for comparison, but the remake seems really good? The upgrade to the Yakuza 6 from the 5 engine isn't a huge obvious step forward - character models and animations are a little slicker, the streets are more lively and crowded, the lights are bloomier and reflect and scatter more realistically - but the difference becomes more apparent as you play and you notice that like, lots of the game interiors aren't separated from the city by a loading screen anymore, and you can just seamlessly walk into most businesses, explore alleys, go up and down staircases that used to be just background elements, etc. It's just a sleeker, tighter package. The combat system has had a couple of changes and while it's still got a bit of the 90s arcade game jank that I just sort of expect from the spiritual successor to Shenmue, it's a lot smoother and easier to handle.

The remake also adds a couple of short but well-done new chapters with an additional protagonist character that wraps up some remaining loose ends from Yakuza 0 in a very welcome, satisfying way. I may have shed a manly, samurai tear or two.

The new experience system is fairly easy to break, so I went into the final confrontations kind of hilariously overleveled. The last couple of boss fights were like ten minute cutscene, tears and shouting, men ripping off their shirts, then I get control and my guy glows blue and I go WHAM WHAM WHAM and suddenly it's over, lmao.

The one thing that I miss from 0's combat and that I think the 6 engine could use more of is heat moves with really tight camera editing and choreography

There's nothing quite as absurdly outstanding as the box o' nails, or the kick off the bridge that Majima has, and it's really hard to articulate what's missing about the heat moves that are there? But you gain so much in terms of physics funsies that it's a lateral move at worst, it's just one of those things

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    the old Divinities are nothing like the Original Sin series

shit, they're not even like each other.

the first Divinity is a Diablo clone

Divinity 2 remains a pretty good Gothic-style open-world action RPG, despite its incredible jank. also it has shoot-em-up sections where you're a dragon

there was also Dragon Commander which is like, an RTS game where you also can marry a representative of one of the races, including skeletons.
    Yeah, that shit is why I've been paying attention to the series since its first sequel, it's constantly reinventing itself and I'm here for that.

Also, DD has a banger of a soundtrack.

• Options

The Teardown update next week will include scripting support for the dynamic path finding we use for the robots in part 2. It's fully adaptive to environmental changes and requires no setup or precomputation. I can't wait to see what the modding community will do with this! https://t.co/yx6ppGpF5s

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

The one thing that I miss from 0's combat and that I think the 6 engine could use more of is heat moves with really tight camera editing and choreography

There's nothing quite as absurdly outstanding as the box o' nails, or the kick off the bridge that Majima has, and it's really hard to articulate what's missing about the heat moves that are there? But you gain so much in terms of physics funsies that it's a lateral move at worst, it's just one of those things

Yakuza 0 definitely makes it seem like oodles of creative/wacky heat finishers are gonna be A Thing, when that is unfortunately not really the case.

Yakuza 0 is so generous with them - the orange? Come on, now! But in the rest of the series, the heat moves are more mechanical, more about function than form.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Finally picked up Slay the Spire. Unsurprisingly, it is good

Managed to get a clear first try with both the Ironclad and the Defect. The Silent took a few more attempts

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I feel like first attempts can be a little easier because your card pool is smaller. Later you have to learn what cards not to take.

You know, just to shit on your victories.

But also ascension 1 is a little easier than 0 because it let's you farm more elites.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

The Teardown update next week will include scripting support for the dynamic path finding we use for the robots in part 2. It's fully adaptive to environmental changes and requires no setup or precomputation. I can't wait to see what the modding community will do with this! https://t.co/yx6ppGpF5s

Teardown was already extremely fun, very cool

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2021

"I can't believe I no longer enjoy looking out the window..."

Edit: well, this is the wrong thread

Still playing GTAV. Kind of amusing my gun skill went to almost max after going through some target practice. Already maxed out the stamina stat on both the characters I have now.

I am missing things like the silly fire truck missions. Those were fun in weird ways. The taxi side job no longer has bonuses for consecutive rides

Couscous on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I am really tempted to just start skipping cutscenes in GTAV because so much of it is just pointless hateful stuff.

Haha, one of the protagonists has a kid who is a NEET! Laugh at him!

Haha, the aunt of another protagonist is into some really "cringe" femininity stuff!

Like I don't think I have been introduced to any characters that are supposed to be likeable except for maybe the protagonists. And even then, I don't like them because they are kind of bad and not because they are murderers

Couscous on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    GTAV's writing is peak south park ha ha look everyone is terrible and everything sucks

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    finally bought troubleshooter after months of hemming and hawing and watching other people play it

it's so good

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    divinity games have some great music. it's too bad the composer passed away a few years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjCZfU-cgew&t=929s

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    balls

Steam didn't transfer my saves for Baldur's Gate 3

I don't wanna do that dang octopus ship again

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Finally picked up Slay the Spire. Unsurprisingly, it is good

Managed to get a clear first try with both the Ironclad and the Defect. The Silent took a few more attempts

The Silent was tricky for me at first because I only liked poison builds, and it was only after dozens of hours of Monster Train and being educated by DuelLogs YGO videos that I realised how fun the more pragmatic builds were, like discarding.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I've been playing Divinity Original Sin 2 lately and while it is definitely improved in both writing and gameplay from the first one, I'm in the tail end of it and the story just gets so absolutely boring.

Just let me play a petty little person with petty little goals. You give me these great premade characters with neat stories but then everything has to become reckoning with gods and the fate of the universe and I just want to actively reject that journey so bad, I just want to murder the man who made me his assassin-slave and then retire to a nice life in the country.

you can at least tell the gods to fuck off constantly

Tell them to fuck off enough and they will straight up smite you and look for a new chosen one and the game ends. I highly recommend trying that route it's hilarious

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Couscous wrote: »
    I am really tempted to just start skipping cutscenes in GTAV because so much of it is just pointless hateful stuff.

Haha, one of the protagonists has a kid who is a NEET! Laugh at him!

Haha, the aunt of another protagonist is into some really "cringe" femininity stuff!

Like I don't think I have been introduced to any characters that are supposed to be likeable except for maybe the protagonists. And even then, I don't like them because they are kind of bad and not because they are murderers

I think maybe the only possibly likeable character in the whole group is Franklin, and even then his characterization is hardly developed than, say, CJ. Michael is an awful POS who you're supposed to somehow empathize with as his harpy wife constantly berates the poor guy, and Trevor is an irredeemable psychopath whose acts of carnage is supposed to be funny somehow? No, don't care what you say, I wasn't laughing.

A common defense is that it's supposed to be satire, but fuck me if I can understand what this trash ass writing is supposedly saying. The game is not as clever as it pretends to be.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    sdwHzdg.jpg

sometimes I wonder how I got here

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    just another doom clone
    https://youtu.be/MiEYCXPI-qY

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    where's the option to let all the demons die? I think that's the most moral one

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    The Trolley Problem Game creates has over 500 different interpretations of The Trolley Problem for the player to solve!
    over 500 different interpretations of The Trolley Problem for the player to solve!
    for the player to solve!
    solve!

Hmm.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    So it's this developer who has been tying people to tracks all this time. I say we kill them and stop the problem at the root!

Yes, by taking action and killing one person we can save the lives of -

Wait. Shit.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    In the infinite multiverse both eventualities occur a infinite number of times. Intervention is futile.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    What I'm hearing here is that trolleys are inherently immoral, and that Judge Doom was the good guy all along.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    How come no one ever tries to save the Trolley. It never wanted that life of constant murder!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    TheStig wrote: »
    In the infinite multiverse both eventualities occur a infinite number of times. Intervention is futile.

I need to start me a TheStig quote book. I love picturing you saying stuff like this to your patients.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
This discussion has been closed.