As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] - Tories Dropping like Johnson's Flies

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I'm sure that will endear him to all the people who lost family members, but weren't allowed to mourn together

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    All the more so because it is clearly a fucking lie ahem.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Stupid question, but um... doesn't the PM like live at No 10? I mean it might be a big house or refer to multiple buildings or something, but every time I read about this I register this as there being a party in Boris' house and somehow he wasn't there or wasn't aware the party was happening.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Stupid question, but um... doesn't the PM like live at No 10? I mean it might be a big house or refer to multiple buildings or something, but every time I read about this I register this as there being a party in Boris' house and somehow he wasn't there or wasn't aware the party was happening.

I assume, with all the drinking going on, Boris was indeed unaware of some of the parties going on.
    The ones he attended (photographic evidence) and raised a glass at, however, can't be reasonably described as "parties the PM didn't know about".

I suppose you could argue that the PM is so incredibly dense that he really didn't understand the social context of the situation he was in but, in that case, he's simply unfit to be in office.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

The PM does not personally know and direct everything that is going on in the office. For example, if the press office had a thing, he might not necessarily hear about it at all.

If he's in attendance, all of that is bullshit

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    dont worry team im sure defending boris will pay off this time no way this can backfire

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "Big Dog", you mean.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    this is from an older con mp - no fan of boris tho - so at least some making open noises

question is how many actually think its worth doing anything other than scurrying around avoiding cameras

lots of generic reporting about how they were meeting every friday for drinks etc, grant shapps wheeled out to say whatever it takes to admit nothing and lie vigorously, etc

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The majority of the Tory party just seem happy to endlessly abase themselves to prolong Johnson's occupation of Downing Street. The only way he's leaving is via a general election.

• Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    I think no one actually wants it now, its become too poisoned a chalice. Better to let him lose an election and throw your hat into the ring for the comparatively easy task of holding Labours feet to the fire whilst in opposition.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    He's like a tick on a scrotum - nobody watching wants to swap places, and he's not going to leave without a whole lot of pain unless it's on his terms

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I think no one actually wants it now, its become too poisoned a chalice. Better to let him lose an election and throw your hat into the ring for the comparatively easy task of holding Labours feet to the fire whilst in opposition.

That implies that any Conservatives are happy to just surrender power to Labour. Make no mistake, every day Tories govern the country is a day they can spend transferring the wealth of the nation into their own pockets. Being out of power severely inhibits their ability to do this. Yes, there is an innate belief in the Tory party that they have a divine right to rule just by being born superior to the common person but their primary motivation is that a parasite needs a host to survive.

They will never, ever, willingly concede power. They will gerrymander, bribe, lie, libel and sleaze their way into power every time and the belief that "this time, surely, people will recognise them for what they are and vote the other way" is what keeps seeing Labour in opposition. Waiting for the Tories to fail will never work because the electoral system has been gerrymandered to deliver them large majorities off the back of a pool of elderly voters who will never vote any other way regardless of what the Tories do.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

NEW

Grant Shapps has bizarrely claimed Boris Johnson was “clearly not partying” when he raised fizz at a No10 party.

Shapps says PM was in fact mourning his mum...despite the fact Charlotte Johnson Wahl died “suddenly” 10 months after the party happened

https://t.co/574JRWgvsH

Dan Bloom is political editor for the Mirror, Grant Shapps is a lying shit, PM is a lying shit

The idea that Johnson was mourning his mum in a gathering that would have still been illegal even if she had actually been dead just shows they've given up any pretence they had

It's Putin levels of "say whatever, because everybody's already made up their minds and it shows the non-believers how futile demanding the truth is"

As I'm someone who did in fact bury and mourn his mum in the heady days of 2020, and respected and followed the law of the land to do so, can confirm.

I felt fortunate that by the time I was arranging her funeral in the summer, we were allowed to have a whopping 20 people in attendance. (I was at that point often thinking of an old friend in the US who lost his grandfather to Covid early on in the pandemic - they didn't get to have a funeral at all. That had happened to a lot of people, but as usual, it hits harder when it happens to someone you know - a layer of abstraction is removed.)

And after the funeral, we all had to go our separate ways. There was no wake. No drinks back at my place.

And I'm reminded of it all constantly every time what these bastards did is brought up. Every. Time.

Jazz on
  • Options
    I tried watching PMQs. God, it was even worse than normal. Starmer summed it up in one word... delusional.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I'm sure like many of you, I've resigned myself to the fact the only opportunity to see Johnson booted out at no. 10 will be at the ballot box, scandal after scandal be damned. So I can't bring myself to be angry about any of this any more as its just not worth it.

Just need to hope all these stories stick in the general public's mind long enough to last until 2023 and we can be rid of this national shame.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    2024 is when the next election is due, though Johnson might call one sooner if the polls turn around, which seems, right now, a bit optimistic.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    2023? That's optimistic, next GE is set for 2024 unless he calls a snap. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

Edit: beat'd!

Jazz on
  • Options
    I cannot adequately express my disgust with the flaccid sack of shit masquerading as prime minister.
    If there's a person whose grave I'd deliberately piss on ..

• Options
    I've largely stopped caring about the current state of politics. I tend to take a more detached interest in it now. Sometimes things happen that still irk me but... fuck.... actually caring about it now is just too much. There is absolutely nothing I can do about BoJo the clown pitching a three ring circus in No 10 and caring passionately about things I have no power to change is just a flavour of mental torture I'm completely done with.

I guess that means the system has beaten me and I'm just trapped in the Matrix now. They've successfully made politics so toxic and intractable that the majority just have to pick between giving up on it or slowly burning themselves alive in the attempt to change anything.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Lynne Hoare, 64, said she and her husband Keith, 65, had stuck by the lockdown rules but they knew lots of others were breaking the rules.

She said: "I don't really think it's a good thing, what he did, considering what we had to do, obeying the rules, but on the other hand is there anyone else I would rather be prime minister at the moment?

"Probably not, with the war in Ukraine, so we're quite happy to let it go."

Keith added: "I wouldn't want anything to change at the minute, unless it was really serious. This has gone on long enough."

How oblivious can people truly be? How uneducated? How uninformed? In the modern age?

• Options
    The answer is “as much as they want to be”.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Has there been any response in the UK to the most recent season of Serial (Trojan Horse Affair)?

I had never heard about the affair before this to be frank. And my caveat is this podcast is the only coverage I have heard about the affair but.

It seems incredibly obvious the female headmaster wrote the letter, and that any number of politicians and investigators should lose their jobs and or go to jail over all of this, but that they've lied a reality into place and it just can't be budged and it seems nobody cares.

Does that sum it up or is there a legitimate other side of the story?

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    It’s recorded a fair amount of pushback for selective reporting, bias and chasing a pure-arranged narrative to the exclusion of journalistic integrity.

I think the Guardian did a long piece about various flaws and problems with it.

• Options
    Comment seen on the Graun: "Well if you look at it objectively it makes perfect sense. He runs his government like a drunken Brussels gossip columnist sacked twice for lying… who knew?"

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    It’s recorded a fair amount of pushback for selective reporting, bias and chasing a pure-arranged narrative to the exclusion of journalistic integrity.

I read one opinion on Guardian after finishing it and it didn't strike me as convincing. Maybe I should try reading it again.

• Options
    I should say I haven’t listened to the podcast. But it has received pushback.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Honk wrote: »

I read one opinion on Guardian after finishing it and it didn't strike me as convincing. Maybe I should try reading it again.

This is worth a read as well, from one of the organisations involved

https://humanists.uk/2022/02/23/humanists-uk-comment-on-trojan-horse-affair-podcast/

One key point that the podcast glosses over is that the reason the subject of the podcast couldn't get Birmingham city council to engage with him over looking into the letter, is that he and the school were already under investigation by Ofsted at the point the Trojan horse letter was received

japan on
  • Options
    Lynne Hoare, 64, said she and her husband Keith, 65, had stuck by the lockdown rules but they knew lots of others were breaking the rules.

She said: "I don't really think it's a good thing, what he did, considering what we had to do, obeying the rules, but on the other hand is there anyone else I would rather be prime minister at the moment?

"Probably not, with the war in Ukraine, so we're quite happy to let it go."

Keith added: "I wouldn't want anything to change at the minute, unless it was really serious. This has gone on long enough."

How oblivious can people truly be? How uneducated? How uninformed? In the modern age?

In this case the difference between an oblivious opinion and in informed one is... not much? By which I mean the usual rules about Tory leaders apply, getting rid of one achieves nothing except extremely short-lived schadenfreude. If BoJo got no confidence'd then we get our pick of the current Tory front bench so Liz Truss, Jeremy Hunt or possibly Michael Gove. That's if we're lucky, if we aren't we might get Dorres or Patel, a moron or a psychopath. The best case scenario is he gets replaced by an equally selfish and corrupt empty suit, the worst case is getting someone far worse. The math says it isn't worth it.

On the other hand, the idea that the British state or the war in Ukraine would in any way notice the loss of Boris's efforts in no 10 is an absolute meme. I don't think anyone needs to worry that "now isn't the time" because there's too much critical shit happening that only he can steer us through.

So that leaves us here. If you know nothing about politics then you shouldn't care if BoJo stays or goes. If you know the current political landscape, you should also probably not care if BoJo stays or goes. In the meantime, more government inertia as Boris spends all his time working to save his own skin rather than actually governing, which if you think Tory governance is destructive and cruel isn't something that should keep you up at night.

• Options
    japan wrote: »

This is worth a read as well, from one of the organisations involved

https://humanists.uk/2022/02/23/humanists-uk-comment-on-trojan-horse-affair-podcast/

One key point that the podcast glosses over is that the reason the subject of the podcast couldn't get Birmingham city council to engage with him over looking into the letter, is that he and the school were already under investigation by Ofsted at the point the Trojan horse letter was received

Wow thank you, that is pretty indefensible cutting. Though I believe for the allegations that they were given some presence in the podcast, that it wasn’t totally glossed over. The two whistleblowers interviewed in the podcast being a notch below confederate-card-carrying doesn’t reflect great on the whistleblowers referenced by the humanists but that could also have been cherry picking I guess. The cutting of the Thomson interview at least isn’t ethically defensible it seems.

In light of the ongoing Ofsted investigation though I guess my take is this affair involves mostly bad actors and two victim categories.

* Governor under investigation. I guess there was reason for investigation and professional ban given problems at the school.
    * City council. Paranoid legal hawks using situation to threaten journalists and get rid of scary Muslims.
    * Michael Gove and national politicians. Using situation to get rid of scary Muslims.
    * Darr. Definitely committed fraud on account of the resignation letters. Ruined careers of the TA’s. Most likely wrote the Trojan Horse letter. Probably a narcissist, got away with everything.
    * NYT. Not honest in reporting. Unethical presentation of facts and cherry picking.
    * British press. Sucks.
    * Four TA’s. Lost jobs and got arrested due to narcissist.
    * Muslims in general. Probably didn’t get an easier time due to any of this.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Yeah I think the general issue is that the narrative that the podcast is going for its that the whole thing was a moral panic stirred up by a false letter

The letter was false, but many of the things it alleged turned out to be true, and had already been the subject of whistleblowing and investigation by the authorities

However it was very much also a moral panic, but that doesn't mean that there weren't real issues with the schools

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

Was it this one?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/20/the-trojan-horse-affair-how-serial-podcast-got-it-so-wrong

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Casual wrote: »
    I've largely stopped caring about the current state of politics. I tend to take a more detached interest in it now. Sometimes things happen that still irk me but... fuck.... actually caring about it now is just too much. There is absolutely nothing I can do about BoJo the clown pitching a three ring circus in No 10 and caring passionately about things I have no power to change is just a flavour of mental torture I'm completely done with.

I guess that means the system has beaten me and I'm just trapped in the Matrix now. They've successfully made politics so toxic and intractable that the majority just have to pick between giving up on it or slowly burning themselves alive in the attempt to change anything.

Tell your local Tory MP that, and that you're only going to vote in local elections after this. PA posters are doomed to live in Tory safe seats to add contect to the US pol threads, so you a resident taking the effort to say that specifically might ring a few warning bells whilst keeping it devastatingly polite.

Tastyfish on
  • Options

Was it this one?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/20/the-trojan-horse-affair-how-serial-podcast-got-it-so-wrong

That is indeed the one yes.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    20xjqf2khyfd.png

Boris saying that saying goodbye to colleagues is more important than your Gran.

Is this real, because that's an excellent way of reframing things.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    20xjqf2khyfd.png

Boris saying that saying goodbye to colleagues is more important than your Gran.

Is this real, because that's an excellent way of reframing things.

Some people. Like public health experts and the official stance of My Government.

• Options
    Hitting the "ok, I did do it and it was awesome" step bang on time.
    What a fuckmuppet.

• Options

Tell your local Tory MP that, and that you're only going to vote in local elections after this. PA posters are doomed to live in Tory safe seats to add contect to the US pol threads, so you a resident taking the effort to say that specifically might ring a few warning bells whilst keeping it devastatingly polite.

I'm in a part of Scotland where the closest thing to Tory representation in my area is single local councillor. If I were to tell the Tory party that they've persuaded me to stop participating in elections, I suspect their reaction would be more along the lines of delight than concern. They want the electorate to be reduced to a handful of daily mail readers. Voter apathy among people like me is a feature of the system, not a bug.

To be clear though I will still vote when I get the chance. I'm just done wringing my hands over perpetual Tory rule in Westminster. I'm done with worrying about Westminster daily shenanigans in general. I've no faith it's capable of improvement and it feels more like a foreign country to me every day. I've gone through the phases of grief for the loss of the UK in my mind and reached acceptance.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular

My Tory MP just doesn't bother writing back to me anymore. It started with mostly-polite form letters saying that they disagreed with me and that the PM is awesome and we should all be paying deference to his skills and now I just get a "we have received your letter" automated response.

It doesn't help that I'm represented by the most true-Blue of the true-Blues so I've long-since given up trying to get blood from that particular stone and get him to change his mind about something and have instead sent a letters explaining how the PM is a disgrace and he should be ashamed to support him.

Maybe it's time for another airing of grievances to my MP.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Tory Britain faces extinction at the hands of a radical hard-Left alliance

Headline from a Telegraph opinion piece. Note how the radical hard left alliance of uh I guess Kier Starmer and the Lib Dems isn't really British, whereas the Tories definitely are. How the fuck you're going to try and make Starmer into a hard-left boogeyman is beyond me but OK.

This discussion has been closed.