As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] - Tories Dropping like Johnson's Flies

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Anyone else think it's funny how they've made "levelling up" such a slogan that it now has its own department, when the chances are none of them have ever played an RPG in their lives?

I still genuinely can't quite believe that "Secretary of State for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities" is a real position in our government. What in the hell.

Her Majesty's Government's Official Position On Feat Choices And Stat Increases

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Does he have the receipts?

if hes saying it in public presumably he has enough he thinks he can cover himself

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    He's probably the one who burned them.

He does not strike me as the type of person that will burn documents he could use later

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I don’t understand what’s going on in North Ireland. I read about it, but I still don’t understand.

A new party won, but they can’t be in charge because of reasons?

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    I don’t understand what’s going on in North Ireland. I read about it, but I still don’t understand.

The reasons are powersharing in the Good Friday Agreement. There has to be a nationalist party and a unionist party in power, and the Unionist DUP are refusing to. Officially because of the Irish Sea border, but also likely because they don't want a Nationalist First Minister, despite the fact the deputy First Minister has completely equal powers to the FM.

Why powersharing? Because of sole Unionist rule before 1972.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

if hes saying it in public presumably he has enough he thinks he can cover himself

On the other hand the idea of Boris Johnson instigating an action for libel is hilarious

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

The reasons are powersharing in the Good Friday Agreement. There has to be a nationalist party and a unionist party in power, and the Unionist DUP are refusing to. Officially because of the Irish Sea border, but also likely because they don't want a Nationalist First Minister, despite the fact the deputy First Minister has completely equal powers to the FM.

How far does that extend? Like, in the hypothetical situation of everyone getting totally sick of the DUP and them only getting single digit seats, are they still able to hobble the entire thing out of legally permitted spite?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

How far does that extend? Like, in the hypothetical situation of everyone getting totally sick of the DUP and them only getting single digit seats, are they still able to hobble the entire thing out of legally permitted spite?

If they are the largest party to be registered as Unionist, yes. Though the other parties (UUP and TUV) are likely to tow a similar line if they somehow out-performed them. As a whole they don't want to acknowledge their loss of status.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »

On the other hand the idea of Boris Johnson instigating an action for libel is hilarious

yeah cummings broadly feels like he cant be touched because they all know he saw everything

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

yeah cummings broadly feels like he cant be touched because they all know he saw everything

So he isn't already telling everyone where all the bodies are buried out of sheer hurt ego spite?

• Options
    Casual wrote: »

So he isn't already telling everyone where all the bodies are buried out of sheer hurt ego spite?

My guess is that either he can't tell people about the bodies without admitting he's the one who buried them, or he's just enjoying this as it comes while he sits on the juicy stuff until the next GE.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

My guess is that either he can't tell people about the bodies without admitting he's the one who buried them, or he's just enjoying this as it comes while he sits on the juicy stuff until the next GE.

Also, he's probably committed some stuff that could get him in trouble (beyond his complicity in other things), and it's a shot across the bow of "don't fuck with me, or I will burn it ALL down".

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61432498

Government announces it wants to cut 91k civil service jobs, t which it says is part of its campaign to reduce the cost of living.

How does it link the two, you might think ?

It doesn’t even try to. Just magic unicorn logic.

The Passport Office is mentioned, and if there’s one place that need less people issuing passports right now, it’s that place.

Can’t wait to get into work and see how the announcement has affected morale.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    Ah the perpetual cycle of Tory government. We've progressed from the "being frustrated that they do nothing to fix problems" stage back to the "wishing they'd go back to doing nothing" stage.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    People can't complain about freedom of movement if they don't have passports.
    Or perhaps they're just using the tabloids to get some free feedback.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    I find it funny that say, a car factory closing down and 500 jobs being lost is headline news that the government should do something about. But the government cutting 90k jobs is to be cheered.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Cuts 90,000 jobs across the Civil Service
    *waits*
    Claims the Civil Service is under-performing.
    *waits*
    Privatises the Civil Service.

^^play book for the next couple of years.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Ah the perpetual cycle of Tory government. We've progressed from the "being frustrated that they do nothing to fix problems" stage back to the "wishing they'd go back to doing nothing" stage.

I mean they're not actually looking at any jobs to cut directly, they're asking the departments to look to see if there are any jobs that can be cut, and hoping that the civil service can find 90K jobs that aren't apparently vital.
    That 90K jobs number is based on nothing at all.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    They're also suggesting implementing a hiring freeze so that we're not replacing people who are retiring

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    They just don't have any ideas so they'll do what they've always done which is have utterly wrong instincts and just flail

• Options
    I lovehate how the answer is always that people just need to be more efficient, and that'll make up for everything.
    Can we make our MPs more efficient and get rid of say, 30% of them? Imagine the savings!

• Options
    Tastyfish wrote: »

I mean they're not actually looking at any jobs to cut directly, they're asking the departments to look to see if there are any jobs that can be cut, and hoping that the civil service can find 90K jobs that aren't apparently vital.
    That 90K jobs number is based on nothing at all.

I bet you it's (the civil service budget deficit) / (average civil service salary)

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    How much damage would losing 90k jobs do to the economy?

• Options
    It's just sad and funny that this is a textbook "bad government cliché" move that we were taking the piss out of in episodes of "Yes Minister" from the 1970's.

Ye sure we'll just fire all the government employees we pay to stare at walls all day. Free savings with no tax rizes! EZ clap, all go home erly today. 10/10 best at government.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The 90k number comes from the difference between now and the lowest staffing numbers the CS had which was back in 2016. Because NOTHING AT ALL has changed in the last 6 years so logically if it was good enough then it should be good enough now.

Strangely enough most of the increase on numbers has been related to dealing with Brexit fallout. Whodathunkit?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    It feels like the attempted narrative is that all the problems with Brexit have been sorted out now, so we don't need the extra personnel working on it.
    Which is the most absurd claim I've read today, and I was just in the cryptocurrency thread.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    I suppose the next question is "do I need more or less civil servants if the NIP is abandoned?".

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    I suppose the next question is "do I need more or less civil servants if the NIP is abandoned?".

Why would you of there is nothing to enforce?

• Options
    The 90k number comes from the difference between now and the lowest staffing numbers the CS had which was back in 2016. Because NOTHING AT ALL has changed in the last 6 years so logically if it was good enough then it should be good enough now.

Strangely enough most of the increase on numbers has been related to dealing with Brexit fallout. Whodathunkit?

Jesus... it's even dumber than my guess. How do I keep overestimating these people??

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Jesus... it's even dumber than my guess. How do I keep overestimating these people??

An innate subconscious human desire to feel that the world and fate of billions are not in the hands of completely ignorant and callous knobs.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61432498

Government announces it wants to cut 91k civil service jobs, t which it says is part of its campaign to reduce the cost of living.

How does it link the two, you might think ?

It doesn’t even try to. Just magic unicorn logic.

The Passport Office is mentioned, and if there’s one place that need less people issuing passports right now, it’s that place.

Can’t wait to get into work and see how the announcement has affected morale.

We're pretty pissed that we had to hear the same way the rest of the country did - a lot of the new starters are now worried that they'll be the first for the chopping block, as they haven't lived through the many times this has happened before

Good times...

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

An innate subconscious human desire to feel that the world and fate of billions are not in the hands of completely ignorant and callous knobs.

This is, as I've said on various threads, also what drives a lot of conspiracy theories.
    Even evil masterminds who know what the hell they're doing would (goes the thinking) be better than this.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    At first I was like, ah it does suck when you get one of the bottles that just won't open but then the guy next to him doesn't seem to put any effort in at all to get it open.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    What do you mean 'anticlockwise'!?

• Options
    Shame his nanny wasn't there to do it for him.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    What do you mean 'anticlockwise'!?

He appears to be turning it the correct way but like… frankly I have no clue how he didn’t get it open. Was he entirely unfamiliar with how to open a bottle of water

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Another strong showing for Rees Mogg in this round of Upper Class Twit of the Year!

• Options
    To give him the tiniest benefit of the doubt, I've had drink bottles where the seal has stretched and doesn't break, pulling the top down and keeping you from pulling it away.
    But the solution there is to just pull it off, so I don't know.

Having granted Rees Mogg the benefit of the doubt I feel dirty, so I'll relate that I'm going to be asking my boss if I can work from home one day a week to balance out the rising fuel costs. I'm using Rees Mogg and Boris as arguments for it, given that they've both said that WFH is a terrible idea. Knowing my boss, this should be enough to convince him.

This discussion has been closed.