As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You have a dog now

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Dogs are smart and good and brave and all have unique personalities and I fall in love every dog that comes into our training classes or at least 99 percent of them excluding the occasional murder Yorkie and I am very sad when they graduate and I don't get to see those specific dogs anymore

It's fine if you don't love dogs but it probably means I'm not gonna marry you

To be married to Cello is to be in constant fear of never measuring up and being left for some dog or dogs.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Dogs are smart and good and brave and all have unique personalities and I fall in love every dog that comes into our training classes or at least 99 percent of them excluding the occasional murder Yorkie and I am very sad when they graduate and I don't get to see those specific dogs anymore

To be married to Cello is to be in constant fear of never measuring up and being left for some dog or dogs.

Look, I'm not saying I wouldn't be hurt, but I'd understand.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My biggest regret in life is not doing more to save the dog I met in South Africa. I think about him a lot.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Is the dog to keep the cat out?

Haha no, that cat is 800 years old and one of the few remaining genetic wild cats in Britain. She does not give a fuck.
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    Is the dog also liminal?

Dogs are kinda the opposite. He’s going to be a huge boon to my job, because my kitchen is infested with Satans after the Other Glasgow incident.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    All they do is poop on the floor and bark at you.

At least that's what they do to me.

I’d shit on your floor too.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Open hostility?

Or "Australian Rules" Etiquette?

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

my new girlfriend occasionally sends me pictures of her cuddling with my dog while I'm in the other room

it's that kind of thing that makes me feel like she really gets me, y'know?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

my new girlfriend occasionally sends me pictures of her cuddling with my dog while I'm in the other room

it's that kind of thing that makes me feel like she really gets me, y'know?

My wife does this with the cats sometimes. But they're cats so I already know they would dispose of me in an instant.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    discrider wrote: »
    Is the dog to keep the cat out?

Haha no, that cat is 800 years old and one of the few remaining genetic wild cats in Britain. She does not give a fuck.
    Is the dog also liminal?

Dogs are kinda the opposite. He’s going to be a huge boon to my job, because my kitchen is infested with Satans after the Other Glasgow incident.

Sorry this wasn’t very detailed. Satans are terrified of dogs if that wasn’t clear.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    You have a dog now.

Ho Ho Ho

• Options
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    You have a dog now.

Ho Ho Ho

It is not your time old man! I banish you once more to the cold embrace of the polar wastes!

Someone fetch me a hot fireplace poker and an Easter egg, I’ll draw the sigils.

• Options
    chosenofsotekchosenofsotek Registered User regular
    My partner and I have discussed several times and come to the decision that if either of us faced a life or death situation in which we had to choose between saving one of us or the dogs, we would both totally understand if the other chooses to save the dogs. Because dogs are that great and our dogs are the best dogs.

• Options
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    You have a dog now.

Ho Ho Ho

Nine million terrorists in the world, and I gotta bite the one with a neck smaller than my grandma.

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    tell your dog I said hi

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The dogs at the houses on either side of me did nothing wrong but their owners are fucking terrible. Like any time I leave my house or try to do anything in my yard I am barked at constantly and the owners just yell at them from inside the house. Like. fucking let me be in my yard.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    scherbchen wrote: »
    tell your dog I said hi

I will.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    @Endless_Serpents The key flaw in this current thread is that we do not have enough pictures of your dog.

Or information on them and their antics.

Fix this or there WILL be consequences.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    @Endless_Serpents The key flaw in this current thread is that we do not have enough pictures of your dog.

Or information on them and their antics.

Fix this or there WILL be consequences.

8rhnyf4a0dcc.jpeg

My son is winning.

• Options
    Wow my tablet’s camera appears to be a relic, perhaps reused from a 2000’s era Nokia.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    onnymlmqp8hw.jpeg

That’s a bit clearer.

The only real story I’ve got today is that he slid underneath his bed and slept there instead last night. Something I’ll have to keep watch on.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    In that last photo the dog has become even cuter.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Oh hey he is a Sealyham Terrier, which usually cost one billion English pounds, but I got him for free because he apparently doesn’t meet some 1800’s landed gentry skull measuring Jeeves ass standards.

Haha, I say, more dog for me.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Your dog doesn't look real, it's amazing. Like a super cute dog puppet

• Options
    lwmvt0r6369w.jpeg

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Cute dog, please give him some scritches under his chin for me

• Options
    Cute dog, please give him some scritches under his chin for me

I will.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Oh hey he is a Sealyham Terrier, which usually cost one billion English pounds, but I got him for free because he apparently doesn’t meet some 1800’s landed gentry skull measuring Jeeves ass standards.

Haha, I say, more dog for me.

I had a cat like that when I was in high school. Her mother was a show Siamese that had apparently won several awards but escaped the house while in heat and there was a rando black Longhair around. They ended up with a litter of kittens they didn't want and my next door neighbor had a pet shop, and knew my cat had died a few months before. So I got an absolutely beautiful kitten for free.

Related to dogs not cats: Your dog is a very good and good looking dog.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I hope you've got a plan for grooming with that pupper, looks like he'll need regular grooming.

(Who am i kidding, all dogs need regular grooming. Thankfully, they usually love it, or at least think that "Eat the brush" is a good game)

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    So my wife and I have been talking about getting a dog for a while now. The thing is I'm not a dog person; always a cat person. So this is very new territory for me! I don't even know where to start. My wife really wants a King Charles spaniel but holy shit, they go for 6000 USD or more usually. Supposedly pure breeds have guaranteed personalities. I'd get a mutt but there's no telling if you'll get a chill dog or one that has mental health problems. My neighbors have wonderful mutts same I've always envied them because they seem to just know how to spot the most wonderful personality from shelters--but I wouldn't even know how to tell if it's a good dag or a neurological mess who bites strangers and can't be house trained (like my sister-in-law's shepherd-husky mix who is one of the worst behaved dogs I've ever met.)

So how do I dog without breaking the bank?

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    With a king Charles I'd be more worried about it having a skull too small for its brain than its temperament.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    So my wife and I have been talking about getting a dog for a while now. The thing is I'm not a dog person; always a cat person. So this is very new territory for me! I don't even know where to start. My wife really wants a King Charles spaniel but holy shit, they go for 6000 USD or more usually. Supposedly pure breeds have guaranteed personalities. I'd get a mutt but there's no telling if you'll get a chill dog or one that has mental health problems. My neighbors have wonderful mutts same I've always envied them because they seem to just know how to spot the most wonderful personality from shelters--but I wouldn't even know how to tell if it's a good dag or a neurological mess who bites strangers and can't be house trained (like my sister-in-law's shepherd-husky mix who is one of the worst behaved dogs I've ever met.)

I was brought up with mixed breeds and they all did okay. I guess avoiding what might look like a highly strung mix of breeds is a starting point, but I’m of the opinion you can train every dog if you get them early/read up on what to do. Dogs will pretty naturally fall in line with your own behaviour, and you’ll find the bark-at-everything kind of dog just gets shouted at from another room without context for what the shouting is for, which just amps them up more. Being in total control but not a jerk is what a dog needs to thrive; they’re all about that hierarchy.

Some will need more space and time outside than others, but that the only thing to consider in my book.

I’d tell you more but the prices and availability are gonna be different on your continent than mine.

I’ve got a groomer sorted for him, but I’ll do a bit myself. They’ve got a natural tendency for hair to grow over their eyes and even if that’s ‘proper’ I’ll be trimming it regularly.

• Options

Honestly, a mutt from the shelter is a good choice. The best bet would be to do your research on shelters and find one that's reputable, and then go form there form adopting - you can also always adopt a puppy, which is (a lot) more work, but also means you can spend a lot of that work training it. and young dogs are usually responsive to training from everything i know - it's only older dogs that have trouble, for various reasons. Pure breeds i'm cynical of, and i say that as someone who's family has owned a pure bred Dalmatian who was well bred and not filled with health issues... which pure breeds can often be. The shelter itself should be able to help you out, and hell, why not ask your neighbors for advice since you admire their dogs?

(And like, Shepard-Husky is two high need dogs mixed together, i suspect it's bad behavior is down to it not getting anywhere near the attention and effort it needs)

• Options
    Yeah shepherd + husky is probably a very smart dog that may not be getting the stimulation it needs

• Options
    This is also why little dogs tend to get such a bad rap as far as I can tell - People get them because 'cute' and then don't train the fuckers because they're small and what training do they really need?

So you end too with a tiny creature regularly scared out of it's wits (in part because it's tiny) responding the only way it can - yapping and biting.

Big dogs tend to be more chill because there's less that bothers them, they get more training... And depressingly, the ones that don't probably don't survive long because they're actively dangerous instead of ignorable.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yeah shepherd + husky is probably a very smart dog that may not be getting the stimulation it needs

I have a shepherd mix and a husky mix and yeah combining those would definitely be a dog that needs a lot of training and constant reinforcement, a lot of exercise, and a lot of attention and play, and if you fall down on that it'll go nuts and be a nightmare creature out of sheer panicked boredom.

• Options
    This is also why little dogs tend to get such a bad rap as far as I can tell - People get them because 'cute' and then don't train the fuckers because they're small and what training do they really need?

So you end too with a tiny creature regularly scared out of it's wits (in part because it's tiny) responding the only way it can - yapping and biting.

Big dogs tend to be more chill because there's less that bothers them, they get more training... And depressingly, the ones that don't probably don't survive long because they're actively dangerous instead of ignorable.

This is also a big part of why pitbulls get a bad rap. They're no more liable to bite than any other dog breed, but they do a lot more damage when they do because stronk.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    With a king Charles I'd be more worried about it having a skull too small for its brain than its temperament.

Ugh, yeah, and my wife also tells me they die young because of heart problems too! ... but she still wants one.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

This is also a big part of why pitbulls get a bad rap. They're no more liable to bite than any other dog breed, but they do a lot more damage when they do because stronk.

Combined with being the most common breed farmed for fighting and then abandoned, so you get a lot of poorly socialized pitties out there. It's a shame because when they aren't traumatized, pitties are just big dumb idiots who love everyone and want pets.

Statistically by far the most bites each year are reported from poms and chihuahuas.

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Combined with being the most common breed farmed for fighting and then abandoned, so you get a lot of poorly socialized pitties out there. It's a shame because when they aren't traumatized, pitties are just big dumb idiots who love everyone and want pets.

Statistically by far the most bites each year are reported from poms and chihuahuas.

Nothing does loving eyes the way pits/staffies do.

It is worth nothing that ontop of the abuse issue, they tend to have strong prey drives... But that's, again, a training issue. Teach em what they're allowed to hunt and it won't be a problem
    Dogs are work, and lots of of it.

So worth it though