As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"Honey, I [Grounded] The Kids!"

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    I don't play online games a heap outside of like...Fall Guys or Splatoon which are pretty straightforward, or MMOs way back in the day, so I'm trying to get my head around how this works. I've got some friends that mostly game on PC but this has crossplay so thinking it might be a good way to play with them.

Is the shared world version mentioned above by Karoz basically going to be like a server so we can all jump on whenever and build it up together? But sounds like it's capped at 4 players at a time?

I need to try it proper, but basically yeah, can share with anyone on your friends list and anyone can start up or join but yes limited to 4 teens.

It isn't on all the time, someone has to load it up. I don't know if it imitates passage of time but other than spinning wheel there isn'r much you need the passage of time for.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Gotta be Hoooooooooooops

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I've been playing this on and off for a year or more now. I really should find some folks to play with because I find it a bit too hard to solo.

• Options
    I am on vacation till the 15th but I will be happy to start up an open world then

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    There are actually a number of "unattended" resource stations in the game (Spinning Wheel, Dry Rack, Dew Drop catcher, etc.) - how those work in Multiple instances of a shared world I'm not sure (I imagine time only resumes when someone is actually in the world).

Beyond that it is an interesting bit of tech and something other survival games need to look into. Being able to co-op in a world that doesn't have to have the world owner on is an awesome move and I'm shocked - given this is a bit of novel tech from a Developer that isn't known for sticking the landing performance wise - that it works as well as it does.
    I've been playing this on and off for a year or more now. I really should find some folks to play with because I find it a bit too hard to solo.

Progression (Milk Molar) unlocks make a lot of the "solo" co-op stuff less tedious, but definitely the game seems pretty clearly designed for a group of "kids" to mess around in.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Shared Worlds aren't persistent/dedicated servers, multiplayer is peer-to-peer whether in a standard world or shared. Shared just means someone other than the original Host can load up the save file

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I have made a second actual base. Its weird I normally just bounce off survival games because I get bored, but this game with its challenge, and simple yet but fun combat with multiple weapon types just nails it for me. And man they really do nail "running out of food, water, healing, and my base feels like miles away."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I need to unlock and figure out how to use ziplines and just build towers as a transport method, because yeah it can be tedious having to trek all the way back to base. I'm just afraid of making more than one big base because of the insect horde attacks that pop up every now and then which attack your bases

• Options
    Zavian wrote: »
    I need to unlock and figure out how to use ziplines and just build towers as a transport method, because yeah it can be tedious having to trek all the way back to base. I'm just afraid of making more than one big base because of the insect horde attacks that pop up every now and then which attack your bases

In my experience they only attack the location you're at. Like in one of the unending larva fuck around and find out moments I had two separate bases and they only attacked where I was at. I imagine its sprite limitations the game doesn't have my other base loaded when I'm at the upper level one. but I do know from the picnic table to the sandbox the game does let you have a massive zip line.

I kind of want to build a huge bridge across the koi pond and have it connect to the upper area

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    here's my tower base so far I've been building at the first tent, I want to get it tall enough so I can put a zipline that goes across the koi pond:

KWa1zpo.jpg

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Need more screenshots haha. Won't wolf spiders just blow through your wall/gate there?

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Man building an impossibly tall tower? I've seen this story before!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Need more screenshots haha. Won't wolf spiders just blow through your wall/gate there?

I have spike traps laid out all around it, as well as secondary half walls with spikes. I haven't added spikes to the tower yet though which I need to do in case of mosquitos/bees, also need to get the turret unlock. the wolf spider seems to just walk around the sides and hasn't aggro'd me yet while I've been in the base

• Options
    Fucking Larva. I don't want to fight you, I dont' want you trying to get payback for your own idiotic and repeated assaults on me! SWEAR TO GOD YOU STUPID LITTLE FUCKS!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Fucking Larva. I don't want to fight you
    npknyZw.jpg

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    That is literally fucking it! God damn ladybird larva are the meat head jocks of the world.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    What's the difference between resistance and armor (maybe it's labeled defence? The bar chart thingy)? Trying to make sense of all these T1 armor that seem basically the same.

Carpy on
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Found the Hedge Lab for the first time and died like 20 times before I got my atuff and managed to flee. The corpse run was not fun until I built a respawn closer. Small spiders are usually no biggie but the slightly larger one murders me. I’ve built a shield now hoping that it will help.

• Options
    Lind wrote: »
    Found the Hedge Lab for the first time and died like 20 times before I got my atuff and managed to flee. The corpse run was not fun until I built a respawn closer. Small spiders are usually no biggie but the slightly larger one murders me. I’ve built a shield now hoping that it will help.

I've just been saving a lot and reloading saves when I die, I don't have the patience for corpse runs

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »
    What's the difference between resistance and armor (maybe it's labeled defence? The bar chart thingy)? Trying to make sense of all these T1 armor that seem basically the same.

Was curious myself so checked the wiki
    Resistance
    Resistance is a percentage damage reduction. Only the armor piece's weight class (light, medium, heavy) determines the amount of resistance applied.

Resistance is the first modifier that is applied to incoming damage.

Example: With a resistance of 25%, a 100 damage point attack it will be reduced by 25 points (down to 75). An attack with 40 damage points will only be reduced by 10 points (down to 30).

Defense
    Defense is a flat damage reduction. For each point of defense, damage taken is also reduced by one point. Only the armor piece's tier determines the amount of base defense applied.

Defense is the second modifier that is applied to incoming damage after the reduction by resistance.

Example: After a 25% resistance modifier has reduced a 100 damage point attack to 75, a defense modifier of 25 will further reduce the damage to 50.

Defense can be increased through upgrades.

Minimum Guaranteed Damage
    Minimum Guaranteed Damage (MGD) is a hidden mechanic to prevent players from becoming inevitably invincible to some attacks.

The MGD is 20% of the initial damage of an attack and will ignore all kinds of damage reduction.

Example: With a defense of 25, a 25 damage point attack would normally be completely neutralized. But because of the MGD, the attack will do at least 5 points of damage.

Because of its percentage-based nature, there will always be some damage that you will take.

Upgrading is the only way to lower the MGD, down to a minimum of 5% at level 9.

• Options
    I wish there was armor that protects against poison, so far that's been the main thing killing me/dealing damage. even the heavy ladybug armor is kind of useless against wolf spiders because of the poison

• Options
    Improved healing, upgraded Ladybug armor and a certain mutation let me go toe-to-toe with a Wolf Spider (though I did have "double down" deaths with the spider or have died to poison before). At a certain point you can just outdps is (if you aren't just taking a lot of body shots). However, one melee kill was enough and whenever possible I either avoid or just kill from afar.

. . .the Orb's though at this point I can just face tank with the T2 dagger (if you're wearing the Spider armor and have had some Mite-Tots or whatever one of those meals is that reduces Attack Stamina, you just keep swing and keep stunning them until they dead).
    Lind wrote: »

Depending on if you think it's a "Cheat": you can auto-recover your backpack to the "Kid Respawn" once a game load. But constantly saving is a better option, and one I'm imagining a lot of survival vets might not realize is there given it isn't really expected in a game of this time (at least being able to save anywhere).

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Hmm I admit I didn't even think of saving since this is a survival game. I'm just used to doing the corpse run thingy.

• Options
    Use of beneficial smoothies seems to be a must since there is such a wide variety

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    My primary strategy had been using the mosquito pokey weapon to ideally outheal damage I'm taking.

Unsure if that is still viable, it has been a couple patches since I've played

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Yeah it feels kind of asshole that a certain mutation that makes wolf spiders easier spoilers.

You have to kill wolf spiders to get the poison resist mutation!

Though awfully there is a later version of that creature that mutation DOESN'T WORK AGAINST!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Since it's on gamepass I'm going to give it a shot. Any tips or links to tips starting off? Someone mentioned above creating a game where you don't lose gear when dying?

If know you're close to dying against a tough enemy, run for your base.

Your corpse will be in a safer spot to reclaim your gear, and won't have the same enemy hovering around it.

I say enemy - it will almost certainly be a wolf spider 🕷 that killed you.

• Options
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Since it's on gamepass I'm going to give it a shot. Any tips or links to tips starting off? Someone mentioned above creating a game where you don't lose gear when dying?

If know you're close to dying against a tough enemy, run for your base.

Your corpse will be in a safer spot to reclaim your gear, and won't have the same enemy hovering around it.

I say enemy - it will almost certainly be a wolf spider 🕷 that killed you.

Oh, and clean water can be found on the tips of long grass, so look up - hit the blade of grass, and it will fall off.

If you need to move lots of grass for crafting, stack it up on a pallet, and you can then pick up the pallet and plop it down quite far away. You can use this to leapfrog it to where you need it. Don't get hit, though, as the game will drop it, and it'll snap back to where you picked it up.

• Options
    Karoz wrote: »
    Use of beneficial smoothies seems to be a must since there is such a wide variety

I haven't used smoothies since the early hours of the game. They for sure helped in the beginning as a quick health pot, but they just don't last long enough. Maybe there's a Mutation for that, but the ingredients I see for Smoothies are - for me at least - better used in food.

• Options
    Dont' always run to your base, wolf spiders will resume patterns, but orb weavers will sometimes say "oh hey I like this area" and take up residence there until killed

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Oh, you can paraglide with dandelion stalks, if you put one in the right inventory slot.

• Options
    Dont' always run to your base, wolf spiders will resume patterns, but orb weavers will sometimes say "oh hey I like this area" and take up residence there until killed

Oh, you won't live long enough to get anywhere near it, in the early days...

• Options
    M-Vickers wrote: »

Oh, you won't live long enough to get anywhere near it, in the early days...

I dunno my first big mistake was having an orb weaver jr take over my base until I cheesed it to kill it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Where can you harvest stems? Grass is all over obviously, but building vertical needs a lot of stems and I only see dandelions once in awhile.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Where can you harvest stems? Grass is all over obviously, but building vertical needs a lot of stems and I only see dandelions once in awhile.

Other than dandelions are Sturdy Weeds or something like that. believe they also give you MORE stems than a dandelion. They are pretty common around the starting area.

1.01 Patch Notes:
    Version 1.0.1 Patch Notes
    Changes:
    The PEEP a Creature action is now "E" on keyboard and "Right Bumper" on Controller. This to ensure the control for "Set Waypoint" is not the same key as PEEPing a creature while in PEEP mode.
    Weapon and gear stat bars now show smithing enhancements separately from the base values, in a distinct color.
    Added unique symbols to the various labs in the yard for easier identification.
    Custom Game Settings that cannot be changed mid-game have icons next to them to signify this status when starting a Custom Game.
    Arrows now show attack stat bars when selected in the inventory screen.
    Crow has adjusted audio.
    Exploding Strange Spores in the Haze now have an audio cue when getting ready to explode.
    Creatures randomly return to their home locations during player rest.
    Hot Deposit actions have audio now.
    Flowering dandelions drop pollen when chopped down.
    Slime Lantern durability has been increased.
    You will no longer get thirstier while in conversations. This will prevent dying while talking with BURG.L and REDACTED.
    You can no longer throw your equipped item while in building placement mode.
    Players playing Multiplayer from the same household should experience lower latencies.

Crash Fixes:
    Fixed random crash that could happen when building buildings or chopping foliage.
    Fixed random crash that could happen when joining a Multiplayer Game Scenario screen.
    Fixed a crash dealing with dew drops on grass.

Bug Fixes:
    Points of interest will now be unlocked more reliably when spotted.
    Dew drops knocked off grass will no longer disappear after a short time.
    Fixing some lighting issues in the Fire Ant Hill.
    Trinkets that repair weapons now properly work with all weapon types, instead of only Slashing weapons.
    Super Venom Arrows now have proper world meshes when dropped.
    Creatures can no longer slide around in their sleeping animation after loading a game.
    Fixed an audio issue that occurred when loading a save game while underwater. Underwater effect is now properly removed when exiting the water.
    Fixed issue with missing footstep audio on third person unarmed / hold run forward animation.
    Bow damage bars in the UI are more accurate.
    Corrected the location of the "ready" icon over the Cookery.
    The mutation related to Staff kills will now unlock properly.
    BURG.L Quests no longer display as empty in the quest notifications, for clients.
    Bomb arrows no longer leave behind an arrow to pick back up.
    Audio logs and other voice-overs can now be heard while the player underwater.
    Tiger Mosquitos no longer fail to reach one of the Super MIX.Rs when activated.
    Clients now have better collision with the world while the host is inside a menu.
    Cleaned up various terrain issues.
    Various interface fixes in various languages.
    Ant audio should be less annoying when large numbers of ants are nearby.
    Better audio transitions around the Dry Grass, Pond, and Oak tree areas.
    Cloning a flipped building will enter placement mode with the building flipped correctly.
    The visibility toggle for the resource survey overlay in the Map UI now actually works.
    REDACTED has learned how to actually hit target with attacks.
    REDACTED will now remember which player was being followed after a saved game is loaded.
    Orb Weaver Jrs no longer have their legs go up in their air in tight spaces.
    Sour Battle axe recipe should no longer unlock early. Not retroactive.
    Removing incorrect additional Tech Chip slot in the data tab. Allows you to 100% the game now.

Bug Fixes - Xbox:
    Fixed Mantis Pollen attack rendering solid yellow circles floating in the air.
    Fixed a crash that could happen when checking Xbox profile settings.
    Fixed a crash that could happen when putting the console into Standby mode and rebooting it into Grounded.

There's still some QoL changes I want to see but this is a pretty good start.

ED! on
  • Options
    Oh man I did an optional end game fight involving the uplands when you are near the end of the game I'll spoil it. Its after the shed part...

Director schmector is a fucking asshole. Jesus its like the assistant manager fight on steroids. I got lucky as fuck the manterious stranger showed up and brought some dps or I'd have been fucked.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

luckily they patched this:
    The PEEP a Creature action is now "E" on keyboard and "Right Bumper" on Controller. This to ensure the control for "Set Waypoint" is not the same key as PEEPing a creature while in PEEP mode.
    Weapon and gear stat bars now show smithing enhancements separately from the base values, in a distinct color.
    Added unique symbols to the various labs in the yard for easier identification.
    Custom Game Settings that cannot be changed mid-game have icons next to them to signify this status when starting a Custom Game.
    Arrows now show attack stat bars when selected in the inventory screen.
    Crow has adjusted audio.
    Exploding Strange Spores in the Haze now have an audio cue when getting ready to explode.
    Creatures randomly return to their home locations during player rest.
    Hot Deposit actions have audio now.
    Flowering dandelions drop pollen when chopped down.
    Slime Lantern durability has been increased.
    You will no longer get thirstier while in conversations. This will prevent dying while talking with BURG.L and REDACTED.
    You can no longer throw your equipped item while in building placement mode.
    Players playing Multiplayer from the same household should experience lower latencies.

https://grounded.obsidian.net/news/grounded/1-0-1-patch

• Options
    Well that's great, because it felt really bad when I was like first into the game and having to kill an orb weaver Jr with some quality bugging techniques to get my base back.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    yea I wish they had more options for dealing with spiders early/mid game, something like a sound emitter or whatever to build at your base that disables spawns/keeps them from patrolling unless aggro'd into the area

• Options
    Zavian wrote: »
    yea I wish they had more options for dealing with spiders early/mid game, something like a sound emitter or whatever to build at your base that disables spawns/keeps them from patrolling unless aggro'd into the area

I will say it definitely felt like Wolf spiders early on don't swing by or patrol as often as they do now. Now that I can anime carve them into bits (though god help me if its an infected, those are still the height of bullshit). I wonder if there is some kind of "Player has hit this item level we can unleash some bullshit" levels out there. Like Regular wolfies used to sleep in the daytime, now they fucking dont.

pleasepaypreacher.net