As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anime] Suletta Sundays, with only the finest parenting.

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited June 2023 in Social Entropy++
Well, we're already neck deep in the new season, but here's a few highlights.

TRIGUN STAMPEDE

pb5lwji490wt.png
(Crunchyroll)
Vash the Stampede's a joyful gunslinging pacifist, so why does he have a $$6 million bounty on his head? That's what's puzzling rookie reporter Meryl Stryfe and her jaded veteran partner when looking into the vigilante only to find someone who hates blood. But their investigation turns out to uncover something heinous—his evil twin brother, Millions Knives.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - Northern War
gv310xuwyo9v.png
(Crunchyroll)
Lavi was born in North Ambria, the poorest region in the northwestern Zemuria. She enlists in the Northern Jaegers, the largest in the continent, to protect her hometown and distinguish herself from her grandfather Vlad, who was once a hero but betrayed North Ambria. Her devotion to her missions often earned her violations of regulations, and one day, she is ordered to assemble a platoon with Martin, Iseria, and Talion for an impossible spy mission to Erebonia to gather information on the "Imperial Hero" a mysterious threat to North Ambria.

Vinland Saga - Season 2
lkfvp0hcnpea.png
(Crunchyroll)
A new millennium begins in the southern part of the Jutland peninsula in Denmark. Thorfin was bought by the landowner Ketil as a "slave" and engaged in land reclamation work on his farm. Thorfinn meets a young man there, Einar, who was also a slave like him. The encounter of Einar led Thorfinn to face the sins he had committed and began to find meaning in life. On the other hand, Canute, who became the King of England, attempted to extend his territory for the establishment of "the promised land."

Attack on Titan - The Finale of the Final Season - Final Special (1 of 2)
pa2l3u2vl473.png
(03/23, presumably Crunchyroll)
The Rumbling has begun. Eren and his unstoppable titan army are out to destroy everything outside of the walls: and everyone unfortunate enough to get in his way.
Can Mikasa, Armin, and what's left of the Survey Corps stop him before the entire world burns to ash in the name of freedom?

Nier Automata Ver 1.1A
rtksbtgbharn.png
(Crunchyroll, on Covid hiatus)
The distant future, 5012.

The sudden aerial invasion of Earth by < Aliens > and their creations <Machine Lifeforms>led mankind to the brink of extinction. The surviving number of humans who took refuge on the moon to organize a counterattack using <android> soldiers to recapture Earth.

Tomo-chan Is A Girl!!
0pf4foyl6ak1.png
(Crunchyroll)
Tomo Aizawa and Junichirou "Jun" Kubota are the tightest bros you would ever see. They roughhouse and spar, but through thick and thin, they have got each other's back.
Yet, there is just one small problem: Tomo is in love with Jun!

Buddy Daddies
ct3oobgi9c4o.png
(Crunchyroll)
Assassins Kazuki Kurusu and Rei Suwa meet Miri, a girl looking for her father on Christmas Day. Kazuki, Rei, and Miri unexpectedly end up living together.

Follow Kazuki Kurusu, a criminal contractor/coordinator who lives with his best friend, and Rei Suwa, a professional assassin who has been raised from childhood to be a contract killer. Kazuki is outgoing and loves gambling and women, while Rei is a man of few words who spends his off time playing video games. One day, the two buddies end up caring for Miri Unasaka, a four year old girl whose father is a mafia boss, after Miri accidentally wanders into a firefight in a hotel while looking for her father.

Malevolent Spirts: Monogatari
(not that one)
xhdiwbubowi0.png
(Crunchyroll)
Tsukumogami—spirits or "marebito" can possess objects of considerable age and gain a physical form. Although he is part of the Saenome clan that is in charge of peacefully sending them back to their own world, Hyouma Kunato despises them because one took away what was very precious to him. In order to cure him of this loathing, Hyouma's grandfather sends him to live with Botan Nagatsuki, a girl who is the master of six "friendly" tsukumogami and lives with them as a family.

The Way of the Househusband: Season 2
b5azipnwpb30.png
(Netflix)
Don't make him say it again: he's a cleaner. Literally.

Lupin III VS Cat's Eye
rp00guh4naqx.png
(??)
Lupin III, the great phantom thief—the man who loves freedom and lives in romance—never fails to steal his prey. The Cat's Eye are the ladies who run the night splendidly and create commotion in the world. They are sometimes phantom thieves, other times three beautiful sisters who run a café.

And a ton of isekai, far too many to list, though you're welcome to point out noteworthy ones I may have missed.

wVEsyIc.png
A duck! on

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    The latest manga chapter of My Hero Academia talk. Spoilers.
    4fwiqc13cf83.png

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    One Piece chapters continue to be wild (1072):
    Stussy is a vampiric clone of Edward Weevil's mom, who was a member of the Rocks Pirates.

Are we playing Mad Libs at this point?

silence1186 on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I am having a very hard time following what is happening in Jujutsu Kaisen now

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

I did a One Piece on it

Which is to say I stopped reading it entirely until I can read a couple dozen chapters or so in one go and ideally get a better sense for what the fuck is going on

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »

I did a One Piece on it

Which is to say I stopped reading it entirely until I can read a couple dozen chapters or so in one go and ideally get a better sense for what the fuck is going on

Yeah I think I need to do that at this point with a lot of the manga I read. Just doesn't work as well on a weekly basis.

Except Chainsaw Man. Somehow those actually flow really well from week to week (or it's just living in my head)

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Ah, Millions Knives finally living up to the name.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I think this is the first time in One Piece I feel actually genuinely sad for Usopp.

*Brofist.*

I'm not crying shut up.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    I think this is the first time in One Piece I feel actually genuinely sad for Usopp.

*Brofist.*

I'm not crying shut up.

That whole sequence (not sure how far in it you are) is fantastic.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I don't watch much anime. But I started Spy X Family.

Anya is adorable.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    One Piece episode this week turned the sakuga up to 11 for the last minute. Just amazing.
    Clip:
    Thoughts:
    Tiny Yamato was adorable. Saori Hayami is killing it with her performance.

Also, it's heavily implied one of the samurai Yamato meets is Zoro's father, right?

silence1186 on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    One Piece episode this week turned the sakuga up to 11 for the last minute. Just amazing.
    Clip:
    Thoughts:
    Tiny Yamato was adorable. Saori Hayami is killing it with her performance.

Also, it's heavily implied one of the samurai she meets is Zoro's father, right?
    yeah they're doing some implying that his family is from wano

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Nier: Automata Ver1.1a episode 3 points of interest.

General notes:
    -The desert mission begins (and is basically over). Jackass joins for the whole mission instead of just being a weirdo you see at the start.
    -Please pay no attention to the phrases coming out of the Machines' mouths (?), it's fine. It's probably fine.
    -THIS. CANNOT. CONTINUE. (is horribly ironic considering the production pause for the anime's release schedule). I was quite pleased to see that the nature of the activities the machines were up to was not changed or obscured for the TV version. Good sign for not shying from the adult themes/content.
    -The introduction to some pretty key characters here at the end of the episode.

Superfan commentary:
    -My guess from episode 2's notes is confirmed. Anemone has been fully replaced by Lily. Is she still alive in this version?
    -They're really interested in pulling from the whole franchise for this, a big flashback to Nier Replicant this time with the city of Facade and the wedding (which goes horribly in the end because Nier).
    -Beastlord that 2B was using in the episode 1 flashforward visible at the weapons store.
    -I wonder if a full heel turn is possible for Jackass in this version. The game introduced her as this very sussy weirdo and then did nothing with her, ever.
    -Popola and Devola "want to help" huh? Yeah, that's one way to describe it.
    -Adam's initial form was brand new and made 9S' confidence that it was a machine lifeform make a lot more sense. Eve seemed to literally emerge from a rib, which was a nice choice. The boss fight was pared down to just stabbing him to death immediately.

I hope the hiatus is just till like February or something and that they don't just scuttle the entire project because of it...

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Nier: Automata Ver1.1a episode 3 points of interest.

General notes:
    -The desert mission begins (and is basically over). Jackass joins for the whole mission instead of just being a weirdo you see at the start.
    -Please pay no attention to the phrases coming out of the Machines' mouths (?), it's fine. It's probably fine.
    -THIS. CANNOT. CONTINUE. (is horribly ironic considering the production pause for the anime's release schedule). I was quite pleased to see that the nature of the activities the machines were up to was not changed or obscured for the TV version. Good sign for not shying from the adult themes/content.
    -The introduction to some pretty key characters here at the end of the episode.

Superfan commentary:
    -My guess from episode 2's notes is confirmed. Anemone has been fully replaced by Lily. Is she still alive in this version?
    -They're really interested in pulling from the whole franchise for this, a big flashback to Nier Replicant this time with the city of Facade and the wedding (which goes horribly in the end because Nier).
    -Beastlord that 2B was using in the episode 1 flashforward visible at the weapons store.
    -I wonder if a full heel turn is possible for Jackass in this version. The game introduced her as this very sussy weirdo and then did nothing with her, ever.
    -Popola and Devola "want to help" huh? Yeah, that's one way to describe it.
    -Adam's initial form was brand new and made 9S' confidence that it was a machine lifeform make a lot more sense. Eve seemed to literally emerge from a rib, which was a nice choice. The boss fight was pared down to just stabbing him to death immediately.

I hope the hiatus is just till like February or something and that they don't just scuttle the entire project because of it...
    That boss fight is one of my favourite in all of video games. The fact that he starts at level 1 and ends up around level 10, and the level ups sync with his moveset upgrades and abilities was absolutely terrifying. Most people are around level 5 or 6 going into that fight, so you weren't sure whether he was going to stop, or would end up just a skull and you die. It completely sold his rapid growth.

Really clever reference to the game levelling system, that sadly they didn't use much if ever again in the game. But in that moment? Fucking genius.
    It also only works in NG, coming back NG+ he doesn't match your new level, so the power of it is lost.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Nier Automata anime + game + ???
    So what's the deal with them replacing Anemone? Are we supposed to know who Lily is from like, a play, or something?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Nier Automata anime + game + ???
    So what's the deal with them replacing Anemone? Are we supposed to know who Lily is from like, a play, or something?

Nier
    Lily is from the Pearl Harbor Descent play/ manga, yes. I haven't been able to get my hands on the latter yet, so I'm not sure how different she is from Anemone (who was also on that same mission).

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    The Nier Automata play, if I'm remembering correctly, can basically be described as Hawaiian Robot Vietnam.

Gundi on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    The latest manga chapter of My Hero Academia talk. Spoilers.
    4fwiqc13cf83.png

This arc has been up and down but this chapter was great.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    How is it that so many fucking isekai fail to make their own conceit relevant?

The whole point is that the protagonist is from another world.

But so many of them are just immediately like, "Well, fuck it, I guess I just live here now. What? Friends and family? WON'T MISS 'EM!"

And then it's basically never mentioned again.

Like, imagine watching Attack on Titan or something, and in the first episode they were like, "Oh, BTW, Eren is from Earth, he just got Isekai'd into AoT" and then the rest of the anime just plays out exactly the same and it has no bearing on anything.

RT800 on
  • Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    Because isekai is basically marketing at this point. It feels like a bunch of those authors wanted to write a standard fantasy series, but wouldn't get picked up unless they added the otherwise superfluous isekai hook.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Now, I have a question of clarification:

Does it count as an isekai is the character is simply taken to another world. Not a fantastical world or one they can't recognize at all, just a different world?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Now, I have a question of clarification:

Does it count as an isekai is the character is simply taken to another world. Not a fantastical world or one they can't recognize at all, just a different world?

Yep. Isekai = another world = Portal story = not here and now.

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/portal-fiction

I dunno how old it is for sure but "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells (edit: 1895) is 100% an isekai, it just uses time hopping instead of dimension hopping as the jump.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I think you don't even have to be taken to "another" world at this point.

Some anime seem to get classified as Isekai if a protagonist just dies and then gets reincarnated again in the same world.

RT800 on
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    For a while in my childhood the entry point was a book.

Neverending Story, for example. Pretty classic example.

Honestly the most interesting thing is why they've suddenly become so popular. I'm seeing a fair few of them that are basically office workers that get moved from their old life somehow and the fact that they straight up don't give a shit about their previous life doesn't seem to be considered a problem. Considering how popular those are that seems to indicate a lot of their readers wish they could do that too. And they really don't give a damn if its not mentioned, because they don't even wanna think about it. If you think about that too hard it's kinda a downer.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Ah, then the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode The Inner Light is an Isekai.

Which, if that's the case, I am judging 95% of all other Isekai pretty harshly...

• Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    "isekai" just means "different world" but I can't think of any examples that aren't Alice in Wonderland style, or AiW-style but with re-incarnation.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    "I Used To Be The Most Respected Spaceship Captain, But Then I Woke Up In Another World Where I'm Destined To Master The Flute!"

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I would count that personally and god that's such an unfair standard they're all trash in comparison cos it's soooo good.

• Options
    "I Used to Play Video Games in My Mom's Basement All Day, But Then I Woke Up In a World Where I'm the Most Badass And All the Hot Women Love Me For No Reason"

• Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    "I Used to Play Video Games in My Mom's Basement All Day, But Then I Woke Up In a World Where I'm the Most Badass And All the Hot Women Love Me For No Reason"

You're gonna have to narrow this one down a bit.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    Captain N the Game Master?

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    I would count that personally and god that's such an unfair standard they're all trash in comparison cos it's soooo good.

"This week our Sci-Fi show is going to spend a swift 44 minutes in your sub-genre and just blow everything else out of the water. This isn't a warning, its a declaration."

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

"This week our Sci-Fi show is going to spend a swift 44 minutes in your sub-genre and just blow everything else out of the water. This isn't a warning, its a declaration."

That and the finale of the entire show are just fucking wtf levels of quality.

• Options
    On the other hand in defense of anime portal fiction: Now and then, here and there.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I like the episode after Inner Light where Picard is playing the flute with a hottie and there's a shot where he's tooting away while someone else's hands are doing the flute fingerings.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Reynolds wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »

You're gonna have to narrow this one down a bit.

You know. It's the one where the guy uses his knowledge of video games and comic books to save the world. The one where the only other male characters are either evil or old men? It takes place in a realm of sword and sorcery.

RT800 on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Inner Light is a dream sequence goddamit

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Mysst wrote: »
    Inner Light is a dream sequence goddamit

This is true.

Can Inner Light be considered an Isekai if Picard didn't actually go anywhere, except in his own mind?

RT800 on
  • Options
    There's plenty of examples where their spirit is sent there or they reincarnate there, they usually leave a body behind. If you're saying it has to be a separate physical space they go to, then that cuts out all the MMO examples, maybe even Digimon.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    "I was very good at this one arcade game now aliens want me to save their world?"

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    I feel like, if you're physically transported into the game/computer, such as in Tron, it's isekai, but if you're just stuck in a VR headset, as in Sword Art Online, it's not.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
This discussion has been closed.