Options

[Football/Soccer] Congrats to Bayer Leverkusen for winning their 1st Bundesliga title!

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
  • Options
    Won't find any finer bottle service than season than North London

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    gomg03rkyznp.jpeg

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Let's go Wrexh---FUCK

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    It is so loud in the Wrexham Stadium you think it was a Premier League game

• Options
    They did it! Beware League 2! Wrexham is coming

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    All root for just about any Welsh team. So, cool.

• Options
    I am a complete not footballer knower, but I love the naming conventions of English soccer.

So okay, the top dogs are the Premier League. That makes sense.

The next top is the Championship. Well, okay, that's weird. Championship usually means the best.

After that is uh...League One. Then League Two. No fancy names here.

Everyone else? National League. Why not?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    It's changed multiple times. Top flight was First Division. The creation of the EPL moved it from the top level to second. Now, it's known as the Championship. Second Divison was renamed, eventually, to League One. Third Division to League Two.

The National League is the top level of the National League system, which is separate from the Football League (comprising the top four levels of the English FA).

The further down the pyramid you go, the more leagues that can appear. But mainly are more regionally named.

There are eleven recognised levels in the FA in England and Wales (Scotland and NI have separate organisations). Below that, any cow pasture with ten men and a sheep can form a club to play. But that's almost literally rec league type stuff. (Who could theoretically get promoted all the way up. But won't, really.)

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    It's changed multiple times. Top flight was First Division. The creation of the EPL moved it from the top level to second. Now, it's known as the Championship. Second Divison was renamed, eventually, to League One. Third Division to League Two.

The National League is the top level of the National League system, which is separate from the Football League (comprising the top four levels of the English FA).

The further down the pyramid you go, the more leagues that can appear. But mainly are more regionally named.

There are eleven recognised levels in the FA in England and Wales (Scotland and NI have separate organisations). Below that, any cow pasture with ten men and a sheep can form a club to play. But that's almost literally rec league type stuff. (Who could theoretically get promoted all the way up. But won't, really.)

Wimbledon made a good stab of it. Reaching the third tier.

• Options
    AFC Wimbledon started at Tier Nine, however.

• Options

This is super interesting, I appreciate that explanation.

• Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    It is so loud in the Wrexham Stadium you think it was a Premier League game

PL games are absolute libraries.There’s a reason why pretty much all you ever hear on broadcasts is the away fans

• Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

This is super interesting, I appreciate that explanation.

It's also one of the reasons why relegation won't work with US sports. We just don't have a deep enough pool of leagues to really make it work.

I think the other one is geography. The US is so big compared to many other nations that a promotion may kill a team just for travel costs.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Oh Spurs

Now Playing:
    Celeste [Switch] - She'll be wrestling with inner demons when she comes...
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Oh, Bayern

Alternatively
    Sickos.jpg

• Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    Lol Sabitzer

• Options
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Oh Spurs

Lol, what the actual fuck.

Like, 1-6 is rough, but 5 in the first 20?! I'd say park the bus but the bus apparently never left London.

Embarrassing

• Options
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team sack an interim manager before but spurs keep finding new ways to be pitiful

• Options
    Spurs going for the coveted "second new manager in a season" bounce.

Now Playing:
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I always have to double check when I see Spurs' league position because they've been sort of shit most of this year, and yet have hung around 4th and 5th for most of it.

Kane has only got a year left on his contract after this; I can't see him signing a new contract regardless of who the next manager is.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    I always have to double check when I see Spurs' league position because they've been sort of shit most of this year, and yet have hung around 4th and 5th for most of it.

Kane has only got a year left on his contract after this; I can't see him signing a new contract regardless of who the next manager is.

Someone did the maths and if you take away all of the goals Kane has scored, Spurs would be sandwiched between Bournemouth and Leeds in the table.

Spurs is going to have a Chelsea style season when Kane goes, I reckon.

Now Playing:
  • Options
    The least surprising thing would be Kane ending up with the LA Galaxy.

• Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    Spurs players are apparently feeling so guilty about the whole thing that they are offering to refund the tickets of their fans who attended: Tottenham players reimburse fans for Newcastle tickets - https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65389917

As an away game, that only works out to about £80,000 between all of them, so I doubt that this will push any of them into the red.

But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    as an irishman, i'm very happy for evan ferguson signing a long term deal with brighton

it is a little bit annoying tho because i support the team he signed from and we apparently have a 15% sell on clause which would be an unimaginable amount of money for the club. I believe our wage budget, which has massively increased in the last 5 years, is at like a million euro a year

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Corlis wrote: »
    Spurs players are apparently feeling so guilty about the whole thing that they are offering to refund the tickets of their fans who attended: Tottenham players reimburse fans for Newcastle tickets - https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65389917

As an away game, that only works out to about £80,000 between all of them, so I doubt that this will push any of them into the red.

Tbf this happens all the time when a team gets trashed away. Nice gesture though.

• Options
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    3 wins and a draw out of the last four games is looking dangerously like reasonable form. We still don't look good or anything but scrappily grinding out wins after being bottom of the table at Christmas on 10 points feels relatively nice.

• Options
    d1znfknxjnwb.jpg

• Options
    Huh, citeh gonna cruise to the title, who could have forseen etc etc

• Options
    Beginning to think Frank Lampard isn't actually a managerial genius.

• Options
    PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    that or Chelsea is a trash fire... or both probably

• Options
    Phisti wrote: »
    that or Chelsea is a trash fire... or both probably

https://youtu.be/DSCGoefBO7Q

Now Playing:
  • Options

i genuinely and earnestly believe i could fluke my way to 1 win in 18 as a manager with a team that cost half a billion quid

• Options
    Whole games have been produced to prove just that.

• Options
    edited April 2023
    One scored for ManU, 14 minutes to pick up four more

Edit: I guess unlike lloris, forster can actually be arsed to make a save, oh well

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    Would have preferred united to drop all 3 but I'll take it for Liverpool.

Now watch them take 3 at Anfield somehow...

• Options
    someone check in on bogart

• Options
    I haven’t seen the scores but this comment fills me with dread.

• Options