Options

Asheron's Call: Nine Years of Killing Olthoi

• Options
    Shadow BanditShadow Bandit Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As someone who can remember being online when the comet hit, everything right now is all new and confusing. I know Ursan, my sword guy is probably going to end all kinds of f'd up even though I'm asking in allegiance chat what the hell I should be doing.

It's like going back home after ten years. The place looks familiar, but you're wondering when did that wal-mart get there and what happened to the ball field you used to play at. It makes me feel like a crotchety old man.

Shadow Bandit on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    AH! You're Ursan! Hi! =)

I know 100% how you feel there on all of that =) Some things are very, very different... and some things have stayed the same.

The most painful change I have seen thus far is seeing that Yanshi has been utterly destroyed, and a fortress built down the road from it instead. Yanshi was where I started all of my characters because I loved the newbie quests there.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So it seems like they found my old characters, but they're asking for the old info on the account, no idea if the stuff I sent them is the correct stuff but we'll see soon.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    No way! Cool! That's awesome Aphostile =)

Damn... I wonder if they could find my original Vendal Thornheart if they could find your characters. Not that Vendal got even half as far as he is now... but there were some quest items that I had that I think have either been discontinued or changed forever now (the original Mattekar Robe and such).

VThornheart on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    AH! You're Ursan! Hi! =)

I know 100% how you feel there on all of that =) Some things are very, very different... and some things have stayed the same.

The most painful change I have seen thus far is seeing that Yanshi has been utterly destroyed, and a fortress built down the road from it instead. Yanshi was where I started all of my characters because I loved the newbie quests there.

Yea, when you and I ran to Yanshi, we were all "whoa, this isn't Yanshi. What the hell.. is that the stone way the fuck over there?"

Actually, that was kinda cool to me. :P

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It was definitely neat that they left it recognizable! It was impressive. And it was... well... moving. But in a troubling way.

By the way Shadowfire, we got you some KILLER bows (you're using bow, right? At least one of your characters if I remember correctly)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It was definitely neat that they left it recognizable! It was impressive. And it was... well... moving. But in a troubling way.

By the way Shadowfire, we got you some KILLER bows (you're using bow, right? At least one of your characters if I remember correctly)

No. Sword guy and xbow guy. :|

Thanks though!

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Pfft Yanshi.

I remembered when they destroyed ARWIC.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Pfft Yanshi.

I have heard stories about people logging in mules, who then fell to their deaths.

Seg on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Haha, that happened in beta when some of the towns got destroyed during the 'End of Beta' event.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Pfft Yanshi.

Pfft Arwic.

I remembered when they destroyed SHOUSHI.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Pfft Yanshi.

Pfft Arwic.

I remembered when they destroyed SHOUSHI.

Beta events don't count!

I could start recalling stuff that happened during Shadowclaim (their first test server opening, not Shadowfell) where I killed Queen Elysa and came up as an item in Sixth Sense, but I'm not doing that!

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    One of my favorite memories came after the destruction of Arwic, I was new to the game and had found my way to what my server called "Subway" watching 15+ people run against that first door because it was locked and nobody had lockpicking amused me in so many ways.

The guy who was the leader of my Allegiance on Leafcull (Ghede) had gotten the killing blow on Baelzaron or however it was spelled. But something happened after his attack happened that killed him, so one of his Fellow mates got to loot the binding helmet he dropped. I think his character name was Bowen.

Seg on
  • Options
    Shadow BanditShadow Bandit Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    One of my favorite memories came after the destruction of Arwic, I was new to the game and had found my way to what my server called "Subway" watching 15+ people run against that first door because it was locked and nobody had lockpicking amused me in so many ways.

The guy who was the leader of my Allegiance on Leafcull (Ghede) had gotten the killing blow on Baelzaron or however it was spelled. But something happened after his attack happened that killed him, so one of his Fellow mates got to loot the binding helmet he dropped. I think his character name was Bowen.

I remember Ghede. He was a staff guy.

I couldn't have fun in those events because my main was also an advocate and they frowned on advocates turning red. But hey, I had a sparkly blue shield!

Shadow Bandit on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I remember when they destroyed Arwic as well, but I wasn't terribly moved by it. I never liked Arwic. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    NinyuNinyu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As someone who can remember being online when the comet hit, everything right now is all new and confusing. I know Ursan, my sword guy is probably going to end all kinds of f'd up even though I'm asking in allegiance chat what the hell I should be doing.

It's like going back home after ten years. The place looks familiar, but you're wondering when did that wal-mart get there and what happened to the ball field you used to play at. It makes me feel like a crotchety old man.

Haha! How naive I was back then. I thought that I would be able to see the comet hit and everything would just be destroyed. I ran to the top of a mountain, sat down, and waited for the world to be destroyed. However, I just got disconnected and that was the end of the AC Beta :).

The good old days. *sniff*

Ninyu on
    "It would be cool if you lived with a monster, you would never get hiccups." - Mitch Hedburg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I wish I had been there for beta. I was there for day 1 of release, but I never got into the beta program. =(

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I wish I had been there for beta. I was there for day 1 of release, but I never got into the beta program. =(

Beta was excellent... the interaction with the community on Turbine's part was outstanding.

Also, standing up and fighting Wardiel? Awesome. Defending Qalaba'r and other cities against fire elemental attacks? All of a sudden, elemental weapons were worth something! :P

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Mmm, I wish I could've seen it.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well... they need to speak to the cardholder, which is me, to further verify the account, however, the number they have provided (the one on the support website as well) responds with "You have reached a phone number that does not accept incoming calls" even though I'm calling during posted business hours...

Guess another slow email conversation will have to come about now!

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    D'oh =( Yeah... Turbine really has never had their act together when it came to billing. =(

I heard rumors that some people made 20+ accounts and never got billed, while other people consistently were double-billed every month. It doesn't surprise me that the contact phone number is wrong after all that. =)

I love the game... but they need to get their act together with billing. =)

So I got bored with my maceman today and made a mage. They're a lot of fun! =)

Also, someone does crossbow here right? I found a killer crossbow. Shadowfire, was that you who did crossbow? You should log in so you can acquire this weapons sometime this weekend. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    D'oh =( Yeah... Turbine really has never had their act together when it came to billing. =(

I heard rumors that some people made 20+ accounts and never got billed, while other people consistently were double-billed every month. It doesn't surprise me that the contact phone number is wrong after all that. =)

I love the game... but they need to get their act together with billing. =)

So I got bored with my maceman today and made a mage. They're a lot of fun! =)

Also, someone does crossbow here right? I found a killer crossbow. Shadowfire, was that you who did crossbow? You should log in so you can acquire this weapons sometime this weekend. =)

I'm the crossbow spec. I'll be playing the swordie more, but I am doing crossbow. I'll hop on when I can to grab it. :P

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sweet! You're going to like it. +12 acid damage bonus. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Awesome, got my old account info and can login with it and everything!

Now just to add my new credit card and address and I'll be golden!

The system was unable to retrieve Membership Plans for the Product Key you entered. [err: 40001]

STAB STAB STAB STAB

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh no =( D'oh =( Another call to Tech Support in your future. =(

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh no =( D'oh =( Another call to Tech Support in your future. =(

Another? I've never actually gotten through to them, haha.

I wrote an email to them when I said that the number wouldn't pick up phone calls and they just outright sent me the account name and said basically, thanks for your email.

I guess I can try on my lunch break. If they didn't only operate during 4pm-8pm EST I might have a chance of calling them when I'm not at work/commuting.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh! lol... yikes, that's REALLY narrow hours of operation. That's crazy.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh! lol... yikes, that's REALLY narrow hours of operation. That's crazy.

Heh, well, I sat on the phone here at work on hold for 45 minutes and just gave up for today.

They're not my minutes, so meh, tomorrow I try again!

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Vthorn, you and I need to stop having the same conversation in this thread.

I am beginning to imagine that the phone support dept and the internet support dept are rival brothers. One of them (phone support) is a lazy bastard who never does his job while (internet support) is the fun loving but hard working. Then they go home and argue after their shifts are up.

I sat on the phone at work for an hour and a half today trying to contact them about error:40001, said screw it, emailed them, within TEN MINUTES got a reply that said hey, sorry bout that, phone guys suck, we reinstated your account, should work fine now, go play!

I'll try logging in when I get home, going to a party tonight though so prob won't have too much time to mess around

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Maybe Asheron's Call is actually a big phishing scam, and that's why the phone tech support line always is unavailable.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Maybe Asheron's Call is actually a big phishing scam, and that's why the phone tech support line always is unavailable.

Yay, my level 107 mage is now available for play :)

Level up past that yet so I can swear to you? Haha

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    lol =) I wish!

I'm stuck at ~level 90, unable to kill anything that will net me good experience despite best efforts.

The things I can kill without it taking several minutes to do so are creatures with ~40-60k experience per kill, which is good experience except that I need to kill thousands of them to level up... literally. So I'm stuck for a while, at least until I get my mace up to 400 when I can use some of the really nice maces that'll up my attack power by a lot more and give me rending. I'm ~1.6 billion xp away from that though, which means I have to kill ~50,000 of the creatures I'm currently killing to get there.

That seems like an unreasonably large number. I'm starting to remember why I ran away from MMOs now. =) Asheron's Call has a honeymoon-like starting (where you're gaining levels and skill points like there's no tomorrow), but the experience required to gain a point in anything becomes insanely high at a point. I'm in the midst of that point, and I don't see a clear way out of it. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Are people not doing the dungeon fellowships any longer? Seems like at your level I had a character in fellowships on Tusker Island a lot. Or is it that there aren't enough people playing alts below 100?

Seg on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well, there's a lot of people here from the forums, but I don't ever seem to find anyone actually on at the time... when I do, they've been under level 50 or over level 150. In the former case, I can't fellow with them... and in the latter case, they don't want to fellow with me (because they can kill things in the Egg Orchard for way more XP apparently =) ). =)

There is one character, Lil Twit (is that one of you guys?) who goes hunting with me on occasion, but we've still yet to find any place worth hunting... and neither of us have seen a significant experience/hour gain with just the two of us killing.

I think what we need is like 4 or 5 people in a dungeon with a really quick respawn, and then we each camp different areas or something, but still stay close enough to get XP from each other... or something. Not sure. But either way, the only person I find in that comfort zone that's on frequently enough (50 to 150) is Lil Twit. It could be the time that I get on, I can only get on erratically at best, or in mornings on weekends.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well, there's a lot of people here from the forums, but I don't ever seem to find anyone actually on at the time... when I do, they've been under level 50 or over level 150. In the former case, I can't fellow with them... and in the latter case, they don't want to fellow with me (because they can kill things in the Egg Orchard for way more XP apparently =) ). =)

There is one character, Lil Twit (is that one of you guys?) who goes hunting with me on occasion, but we've still yet to find any place worth hunting... and neither of us have seen a significant experience/hour gain with just the two of us killing.

I think what we need is like 4 or 5 people in a dungeon with a really quick respawn, and then we each camp different areas or something, but still stay close enough to get XP from each other... or something. Not sure. But either way, the only person I find in that comfort zone that's on frequently enough (50 to 150) is Lil Twit. It could be the time that I get on, I can only get on erratically at best, or in mornings on weekends.

I've been noticing that in fiuns (Abayer's Lab) they drop lots of rending salvage stuff, I already have a full set of rending wands on my old character (along with my sweet green tinked up suit!) so I can start collecting some stuff and give it to you to try imbuing a mace or two with.

You don't need to use 400 base skill maces to be effective, trust me, especially if they're rended.

EDIT: And I'd be glad to fellow with you down there if you want, so you can get a bit better xp. I was only messing around last night randomly killing things and looting (trying to figure out how to play my mage again) and got around 20 mil just sort of farting around.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Weren't the 400 Base items added after the level cap was raised above 126?

And I loved doing the percentage to level exp turn ins that were available. Grabbing the Olthoi Pincers, and Tusker Tusks when they became available was always one of my favorite things. And I remember they added another one with Throne of Destiny.

Me I would take your mace guy to one of the 80+ Olthoi dungeons and just grind Olthoi for hours at a time. But that was always one of my favorite things to do.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    They may have been, but most of the weapons I've found that are really good are for 400 mace users. I have the one good (rended) one that has no wield requirement, but it does less damage than my Mi-Krau Li's jitte.... and I lost all of my other good jittes under 400 wield requirement in my last attempt to get one of them to have rending.

I actually just last night bought like 5 mace 370 wield requirement items last night, I'm going to go through and try to get them rended. If I can get one of them to work, I'll be satisfied with that. But after the botch job I did last time I tried, I figured that I shouldn't get my hopes up. =) When I eventually hit 400 mace, I have two pre-rended 400 mace items waiting for me (found them for cheap at the marketplace... both jittes! One's a fire, and one's bludgeon).

I think that's honestly part of it... all of my good jittes were destroyed when I tried to apply rending to them. So I've got maces (as of last night) to try applying rend to, but none of them are Jittes. And I like jittes. =)

For now, I'm using Mi Krau-Li's Remastered Jitte, which has been an improvement over that original rending weapon, but I can tell that I'm not even coming close to killing things as fast as I would with an item of my mace level with rending. And that final version of Mi Krau-Li's jitte kind of looks like a vibrator, which was only amusing for the first few minutes after I got it. =)

(Speakiing of which, if anyone wants to do the jitte quest anytime, I have his labyrinth memorized now. I failed like 20 times trying to figure it out, but because of that I can go through the labyrinth blindfolded now. =) )

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    They may have been, but most of the weapons I've found that are really good are for 400 mace users. I have the one good (rended) one that has no wield requirement, but it does less damage than my Mi-Krau Li's jitte.... and I lost all of my other good jittes under 400 wield requirement in my last attempt to get one of them to have rending.

I actually just last night bought like 5 mace 370 wield requirement items last night, I'm going to go through and try to get them rended. If I can get one of them to work, I'll be satisfied with that. But after the botch job I did last time I tried, I figured that I shouldn't get my hopes up. =) When I eventually hit 400 mace, I have two pre-rended 400 mace items waiting for me (found them for cheap at the marketplace... both jittes! One's a fire, and one's bludgeon).

I think that's honestly part of it... all of my good jittes were destroyed when I tried to apply rending to them. So I've got maces (as of last night) to try applying rend to, but none of them are Jittes. And I like jittes. =)

For now, I'm using Mi Krau-Li's Remastered Jitte, which has been an improvement over that original rending weapon, but I can tell that I'm not even coming close to killing things as fast as I would with an item of my mace level with rending. And that final version of Mi Krau-Li's jitte kind of looks like a vibrator, which was only amusing for the first few minutes after I got it. =)

(Speakiing of which, if anyone wants to do the jitte quest anytime, I have his labyrinth memorized now. I failed like 20 times trying to figure it out, but because of that I can go through the labyrinth blindfolded now. =) )

Yeah, the failure rate on the imbuing on weapons kinda suck.

Like I said, if you want, you can fellow up with me in Abayer's Lab and kill some fiuns.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Cool, sounds good!

Yeah, I die heartily to fiuns... I need to get MagicD spec'd or something. Those 80 damage war spells hurt. I heard you can get a special shield to lower the damage up to 25%, but even 60 damage war spells hurt when at least one of the fiuns you're attacking is throwing one every 3 seconds. I wonder what kind of magicD you need to consistently resist magic from enemies of that level.... I wonder if I could even reach that high of MagicD with my starting attributes. =(

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Cool, sounds good!

Yeah, I die heartily to fiuns... I need to get MagicD spec'd or something. Those 80 damage war spells hurt. I heard you can get a special shield to lower the damage up to 25%, but even 60 damage war spells hurt when at least one of the fiuns you're attacking is throwing one every 3 seconds. I wonder what kind of magicD you need to consistently resist magic from enemies of that level.... I wonder if I could even reach that high of MagicD with my starting attributes. =(

Well, on my mage, I resist them a good portion of the time, but damned if I could remember what it is off the top of my head. I'm sure I've dumped some points into it. I can easily just cast drain life 1 off the cuff and heal back to full in a second or two :p

The shield is the Sanguinary Aegis. It creates a nifty little ring around you of bright dots and protects against magic damage rather than melee damage.

Sanguinary_Aegis_Blue_Live.jpg
    For reference.

http://www.thejackcat.com/AC/Hobbies/Quests/Aegis.htm

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.