As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OLD THREAD.

• Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    But yeah, I noticed the auto blocking system too. It doesn't block when you're doing other things, only when you're standing still. However, remember this game has a leveling system. Perhaps as you level up, the Apprentice will get better at things like blocking.

No it blocks while you are moving to a lot of the time.

Hmm, does it? I only noticed it when I was standing still. I know it doesn't try to block during attacks, force or saber. Which is fine, because that makes sense.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lightning was very underwhelming. Oh, look, I kinda stunned some stormtroopers for a sec there. They didn't even really move.

Make it like RotJ. Luke was on the ground in pain; surely our young Apprentice can achieve similar? I want those troopers writing on the ground when I shock them.

Houn on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Houn wrote: »
    Lightning was very underwhelming. Oh, look, I kinda stunned some stormtroopers for a sec there. They didn't even really move.

Make it like RotJ. Luke was on the ground in pain; surely our young Apprentice can achieve similar? I want those troopers writing on the ground when I shock them.

Remember how upgraded your force push got between level 1 and 2?

I would not be surprised if a similar thing happens to your lightning and some point.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

This sounds like another low-level complaint. You know how you level up and your push gets stronger in the demo? I'm sure as you level in the actual game, your lightning gets stronger too.

Also, X-X-Y is an awesome combo. Imbueing a saber with lightning is about the coolest thing ever.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

As the demo illustrated, your individual force powers will gain power as you progress through the game.
    Like when I charged my froce push, and blew the doors open, a stack of crates that were behind them... and a squad of storm troopers that were using them as a cover... all with one little push.

muninn on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Triple Post? :P

Btw, I think one of the features no one's talking about that I love is the Force Dash ability. Especially being able to do it in mid-air. It's great fun dashing into a group of enemies and doing X-X-X-B.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I agree with whoever it was that compared the lightsaber in this game to a baseball bat. WTF? Weren't we using the saber to lop off enemy limbs in Jedi Academy? It just bashes them like a foam bat and depletes their life gauge. So lame! Its like they spent all this time on force powers and completely forgot to make the saber cool.

I'll still rent this, but it definately fell off of my buy-list.

Dirty on
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I had a tough time w/ my first play-through, as I'm not usually into brawlers, but once I got used to it and played through a couple more times, it was pretty damn fun. Not the OMG FuckAwesome I had secretly hoped it would be, it does have it's issues, but still worth a purchase I think, if only just because of the canonization of the storyline...

And Leia.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    muninn wrote: »

As the demo illustrated, your individual force powers will gain power as you progress through the game.
    Like when I charged my froce push, and blew the doors open, a stack of crates that were behind them... and a squad of storm troopers that were using them as a cover... all with one little push.

Even the level one force push can fuck up a 6" steel door. :P Why doesn't the level one lightning?

Again, the demo wasn't bad, but it did feel like the focus was away from the Force Powers and more on the "Here's hordes of enemies chipping at you, better kill them all ASAP."

Houn on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Even the level one force push can fuck up a 6" steel door. :P Why doesn't the level one lightning?

Again, the demo wasn't bad, but it did feel like the focus was away from the Force Powers and more on the "Here's hordes of enemies chipping at you, better kill them all ASAP."

And tell me, how do you kill them ASAP?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I don't get why people are complaining so much that the saber doesn't kill enemies in one but not complaining that your character can survive a shot from an AT-STs main cannon.

The game isn't trying to be realistic folks.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

You pick up stuff and force push it at them. Even the AT-ST was cake if you force pushed stuff from the bridge at it.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't get why people are complaining so much that the saber doesn't kill enemies in one but not complaining that your character can survive a shot from an AT-STs main cannon.

Well it's not because of the no 1-hit kill. It feels more like your saber is bludgeoning them that slashing them. As if you were whacking them with a stick.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I guess what's disapointing is it's a different "unrealistic" than other star wars games.

In other games, it was unrealistic how you could avoid damage from the enemy that would otherwise destroy you.

In this one it's unrealistic how you manage not to avoid damage that should destroy a starfighter, yet you still walk through it uneffected. That doesn't scream "bad ass" to me... it screams poor game design :(.

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Well it's not because of the no 1-hit kill. It feels more like your saber is bludgeoning them that slashing them. As if you were whacking them with a stick.

The saber passes through them. Yeah, no limbs pop off at the end. But I mean, you can impale people on your saber, it's obviously not a club.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I don't want the saber to kill with one hit. But rather, the finishing blow should take off limbs and shit. I should be able to cut off the leg of the AT-ST and have it fall over and explode. Sure, make it require a few swipes to "whittle it down" and shit, but let me cut it the fuck off.

Dirty on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

By either hiding in the corner and chucking boxes, or praying and jumping into the middle with saber/force combos.

Houn on
  • Options
    thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    With your charming demeanor and rugged good looks?

Demo is fun, but I am definitely underwhelmed after all the trailers and stuff that came out. Maybe they should've placed you a little later in the game instead of the first level?

Although I do like swinging people around and watching them grab things. Although if you can force lift a TIE, how come you can't lift a guy holding onto a crate?

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, after watching the ending sequence 17 times or so, I decided that this game reminds me of Advent Rising. This is good. Hopefully less buggy though. =/

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Not to get on the hate train (choo-choo!)...
    But anyone else shudder at the godawful close-up of the Apprentice's face? I'm all for using in-game models in cutscenes, but use that shit only when your characters can hold their own up close (Uncharted, MGS4, Mass Effect). Low-res textures and those eyes... Oh those eyes. :(

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You know I think I'm enjoying this game more than a lot of you because I hardly payed any attention to it up until the demo came out so I never watched any of the videos are listened to any of the hype etc.

But yeah, the apprentice's face is awful.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You know I think I'm enjoying this game more than a lot of you because I hardly payed any attention to it up until the demo came out so I never watched any of the videos are listened to any of the hype etc.

I didn't pay any attention to it before the demo either. So its not that.

Dirty on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Okay, I'll give you that.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Okay, I'll give you that.

I pray I get his mask thing very early in the game.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The game was fun, and I enjoyed it. Did anyone else think the demo was slightly lacking graphic-wise?

You don't think that may-haps the demo had lower res textures than the actual game will?

Did they do any promo shots of Sam Witwer dressed as the Apprentice? A lot of times a "body-model" only slightly looks like their CG counter-part but he is pretty much identical.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

By either hiding in the corner and chucking boxes, or praying and jumping into the middle with saber/force combos.

The correct answer is "blatting the crap out of them with your force powers".

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    They've mentioned that the demo is of an area that we don't play in the actual game, yeah? So it might be a packaged version of a rough tech demo. In other words, there's hope the final product looks better.

A New Hope.

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I enjoyed the demo, but I'm waiting to see what some of the upgraded Force powers look like and whether you get just plain Saber Throw as a power. Unless I missed something, which is possible. I like levitating guys and impaling them and all, but I wanna play lightsaber boomerang with some bitches, because the boy needs some more ranged attacks. Throwing boxes around is all well and good but sorry, I've played that game already; it's called Psi Ops.

That said, I'm still getting it on day 1 and I'll end up loving it. I'm just that kind of sucker.

Peen on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You do get lightsaber throw in the full game.

Also...is Fig-D gonna start a new thread, or should someone else?

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    Richiter_BelmontRichiter_Belmont Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Played the demo on my brother's 360. The game felt very average, i kept having trouble with the camera. So i had to press the center camera button almost constantly. I didn't like the QTE and yes the apprentice looked hideous, he looks much better in Soul Calibur 4.

Its probably just a bad demo and the full game is better. But the gameplay was like God of War with a Gravity Gun.

Richiter_Belmont on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    QTEs themselves don't bother me, but this particular one wasn't very fluid. I kept failing it because I would be wailing away on the AT-ST, and still mashing combos when it popped up. Needs a brief buffer before the first input, so you can switch tasks.

Houn on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I like that they had the option to invert controls in the options on the demo. Sometimes demos don't have this option.

However, inverting the controls doesn't just invert the controls for the camera it also inverts the controls for force grab, which I didn't want. Maybe I'm the only person that wants inverted for camera and regular for moving objects around in the world though...

mrflippy on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    QTEs themselves don't bother me, but this particular one wasn't very fluid. I kept failing it because I would be wailing away on the AT-ST, and still mashing combos when it popped up. Needs a brief buffer before the first input, so you can switch tasks.

I kept getting A with a red X through it, so I thought it wanted me to not press the A button. (Which I thought was a bit odd) So, I wouldn't press the A button and I'd get knocked on my ass.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    kbunch@gmail.comkbunch@gmail.com Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    Is there any word on multiplayer for the 360 yet?

kbunch@gmail.com on
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Any legal means to purchase Jedi Academy via download? Never got to play that one, really dug Jedi Knight 2.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    mrflippy wrote: »

I kept getting A with a red X through it, so I thought it wanted me to not press the A button. (Which I thought was a bit odd) So, I wouldn't press the A button and I'd get knocked on my ass.

The "A" with a red strike through it means you pressed an incorrect button. You must have been attacking one too many times just when the QTE started.

I've definitely been playing this demo as a teaser. These are all level-one powers you're given, and if this is just a promise of things to come when you've leveled up your powers a bit? I'm sold. My only problem so far is that I'm a little slow using Grip to get things to fly the way I want them too, but I assume I'll get better with some practice.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Skip it. Compared to JK2 Jedi Academy is ball. Seriously, unless you have a raging hard on for Twileks and twin bladed lightsabers there is nothing to see there.

It also, other than a cameo, has no Kyle Katarn which is a major detriment.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hmm. Maybe I'll just replay JK2 :D

I have SC4, the fucking apprentice is such a cheap, cock-mongering, fuckface, bastard.

Cant wait to learn how to use him :D

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Actually, I thought JKA had some cool parts to it. It's definitely worth playing. There's a train level that's pretty cool and a desert level that has a Tremors-graboid type monster.

With that said, the storyline does suck Wookiee balls.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    warder808 wrote: »
    Hmm. Maybe I'll just replay JK2 :D

I have SC4, the fucking apprentice is such a cheap, cock-mongering, fuckface, bastard.

Cant wait to learn how to use him :D

I dug Jedi Academy. The story was kinda crap, and it did suffer from very little Kyle Katarn, but bonuses include Jedi powers and lightsaber from the get-go and some neat missions like chasing Boba Fett around some ruins.

If you can find it cheap, I say go for it. It gets flak, but only because it's not as good as JK2.

e: beat'd, but yeah, the tram level and the Tremors level were pretty cool as well.

Vargas Prime on