As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OLD THREAD.

• Options
    SlybriSlybri Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I guess I was expecting Jedi Knight with better graphics, so I was a bit disappointed.

This is just Devil May Cry with a gravity gun in a galaxy far, far away. And that's cool. It's good at being that.

I'll probably rent it though, seeing as there's no multiplay and I can probably finish it in a few nights. The story alone should be worth a play through.

Besides, Warhammer:AoR is out the same week, and I'll be diving into that headlong.

Slybri on
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Ranced wrote: »
    What other games of note are coming out in September, anyway?

Mother

Fucking

Mercen

fucking

aries

fucking

two!

(in europe)

but im americaneagleflag.gif and get it in august

almost forgot about Rock Band 2. guess i'll gamefly the shit out of this game

Ranced on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well that was...rather dull.

It's your average 3rd person action game with the ability to move objects within the enviroment.

I can't believe I got excited over a Lucasarts game. What the fuck is wrong with me.

I'll likely throw the Wii version up on my Gamefly queue to check it out, but so far the 360 version is more or less a pass until it hits the bargain bin.

Though my little Star Wars obsessed neighbors (8 and 10, if I remember properly) would get a kick out of it, so I may give it a rental sometime.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    darthattondarthatton Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just barely got through the demo on Sith Lord with a sliver of health and the next difficulty is still locked. D:

Well, I guess it is a demo...

darthatton on
    My somewhat generic Youtube channel, where you can nerd out to your heart's content.
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Mother

Fucking

Mercen

fucking

aries

fucking

two!

(in europe)

Yeah well does that arrive on the 31st or SHIP on the 31st? That's a Sunday, so I wonder if they'll actually get the copies early and hold onto them until the street date.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008

It's your average 3rd person action game with the ability to move objects within the enviroment.

I can't believe I got excited over a Lucasarts game. What the fuck is wrong with me.

I'll likely throw the Wii version up on my Gamefly queue to check it out, but so far the 360 version is more or less a pass until it hits the bargain bin.

Though my little Star Wars obsessed neighbors (8 and 10, if I remember properly) would get a kick out of it, so I may give it a rental sometime.

You're inviting 8 and 10 year olds over to your place to play video games? o_O

Also, the game rules. You're crazy.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Decent demo, but who the fuck designed the lock-on controls? Stevie Wonder? I was just playing Hulk: Ultimate Destruction yesterday, where the lock-on is handled much better.

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

What's wrong with that? We've had some awesome times with Smash Bros & Mario Kart. (Oh, and tons of DS stuff) They liked Jedi Power Battles on my Dreamcast, even though they weren't very good, and they played a bit of Jedi Outcast, though they had difficulties with the controls. I was never a huge fan of Lego Star Wars but Unleashed seems like something they'd enjoy. Unfortunately I just don't have very many Star Wars games.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008

What's wrong with that? We've had some awesome times with Smash Bros & Mario Kart. (Oh, and tons of DS stuff) They liked Jedi Power Battles on my Dreamcast, even though they weren't very good, and they played a bit of Jedi Outcast, though they had difficulties with the controls. I was never a huge fan of Lego Star Wars but Unleashed seems like something they'd enjoy. Unfortunately I just don't have very many Star Wars games.

Because you're 22...and they're 8 and 10...

Seriously, I wouldn't let my kids over your house to "play videogames."

Still though, why do you find the game average? I think the lightsaber combat when everyone else has range is great. Plus the way the game pause slightly after every hit I think is great for the style.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dashui wrote: »

Mother

Fucking

Mercen

fucking

aries

fucking

two!

(in europe)

Yeah well does that arrive on the 31st or SHIP on the 31st? That's a Sunday, so I wonder if they'll actually get the copies early and hold onto them until the street date.

Guitar Hero 3 had a Sunday release date and I got my copy at 10 AM. It'll be there.

freakish light on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Justin what the fuck is going through your head that you would immediately think the most suss thing based on what he said? You watch too much popular news channels.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Because you're 22...and they're 8 and 10...

Seriously, I wouldn't let my kids over your house to "play videogames."

Still though, why do you find the game average? I think the lightsaber combat when everyone else has range is great. Plus the way the game pause slightly after every hit I think is great for the style.

Well it's not like I invite them over. They just show up every now and then randomly. I have tons of videogame shit so that typically what they gravitate to, and if it's Star Wars that only makes it more appealing to them.

And holy fuck it's not like I'm some creepy dude inviting kids into his house with candy. I still live at home with my mother, father, sister and grandmother, so there's always at least two other people in the house with me.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Demo was kinda cool. The QTE shit sucked. The button display would always pop up with an 'X' over it. So it took 3 tries of it to kill the AT-ST.

Either way I'll get this game some day.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

And holy fuck it's not like I'm some creepy dude inviting kids into his house with candy. I still live at home with my mother, father, sister and grandmother, so there's always at least two other people in the house with me.

How did you rope your entire family into your sick, twisted little games.

ed: best totp ever?

freakish light on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

How did you rope your entire family into your sick, twisted little games.

ed: best totp ever?

The dark side is strong in him.

But yeah, I'm totally serious when I say mouthing off an accusation or even an insinuation of that kind of thing based on a single comment on the internet says more about the person saying it than anything else.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Seriously. So maximum is like a big brother to them. That's cool.

Anyway, I'm gonna do another Yakety Sax playthrough. That never gets old.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I played through the demo about 6 or 7 times so I've had enough for now. The more I play it the more I want more and I have a month to wait.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Slybri wrote: »
    This is just Devil May Cry with a gravity gun in a galaxy far, far away.
    Just? Just? You, sir, just listed my three favorite things.

I would like to play the demo, but I'm being foiled by my own cheapness (Live Silver).

Monger on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    I dunno. It just never felt like you were using the force--it was like you were shooting a force-gun

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Crysis Warhead and Stalker are going to take up all of september for me, so I'm probably going to goozex this.

Because I'm poor.
    Also, bitter

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So.

Played the demo.

*twitch*

To say that I was...remarkably underwhelmed...would be accurate. Don't think I'll be buying this'n. That's fine, really. More money to put to Fable 2/Fallout 3/Rock Band 2/etc.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, I got to do my second play through and I must say it got infinitely better. I think it has a small learning curve to it, but it feels rather fluid eventually.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The only thing I don't like about it is how awkward and slow it is to come out of blocking and into attacking/using force powers. I want to be able to use Push while I'm blocking, so that I don't have to keep blocking. Otherwise, I drop block and get hit and then make them stop attacking me. The AT-ST got stuck in a loop where it would just use its rapid-fire attack at me, and it did it for a minute straight because I was nearly out of health and dropping block would cause me to get hit.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Monger wrote: »
    Slybri wrote: »
    This is just Devil May Cry with a gravity gun in a galaxy far, far away.
    Just? Just? You, sir, just listed my three favorite things.

Ain't nuthin wrong with that, man. I got DMC4 and I love it. And I will probably love this game too, for what it is.

It's just that I was expecting FU to be more like Jedi Knight, more immersive. The first person perspective isn't just about aiming a gun, it about getting inside the character, seeing what he sees. Not just remote controlling the hero, but BEING him. Like you really feel like you're a Jedi with a lightsaber in that game. And you could force throw crates into troopers in Jedi Knight, and pick em up, legs all dangling, and throw em around and shoot lightning out your hands ...and this was 10 YEARS ago! And the sound of the raindrops hitting your energy blade and hissing off as steam...god. I just really deeply wanted a new Jedi Knight game with modern graphics and I thought this might be it. So I was let down.

It could have been worse. I mean we could be stuck with a Clone Wars game where we play as Ahsoka and bop silly droids on the head. That would suck.

Man, I'm jonesing for some SW game right now. I might reinstall some Battlefront II tonight and check out what the mod scene has done with it.

Slybri on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Meh. I didn't really want to get deep into the stuff I didn't like about it, but I guess I should explain my opinion.

The camera controlled awfully. It was a pain in the ass trying to lock on. The controls felt unresponsive. Force grip was not that goddamn entertaining, even on the first try. I just feel like this is another Dead Rising/Destroy All Humans/Communism thing. It sounds like such a fucking amazing idea on paper, but the execution will never be able to make it not suck. Star Wars Obi Wan on the oXbox was more enjoyable than what I've seen of Force Unleashed so far.

Triple B on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

SPORE
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Warhammer Online.

Uh, not sure what else.

ROCK BAND 2

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just has a proper play through, pretty bad ass. I was sort of expecting it to be more like the PC Jedi games, i would maybe have preferred that but I'll take this no problems.

I love how enemies put up a pretty good fight so its not as one sided as i thought it would feel. Its a really good demo except for the mini boss, didn't find that fun at all. Its a shame they don't let you play a saber battle, but i can understand why its not in.

But yeah, day one and all that.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    As stoked as I am for this, multiple play-throughs weren't enough to ignore some issues.
    The camera. WHAT THE FUCK.
    And blocking/dodging was an odd affair.

Still, I'm purchasing it because there just hasn't been an (allegedly) AAA Star Wars game in ages (for me, the last was KOTOR2). And for all the accusations... it's just a demo. Who knows how long this was in the backburner for. Mechanics could have been improved on vastly.

Though I can't shake the feeling that Psi-Ops controlled better.

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

SPORE
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Warhammer Online.

Uh, not sure what else.

ROCK BAND 2

The Goddamn Lego Batman

Slybri on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man, this game is really getting a Love/Loathe response. I'm on the left.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited August 2008

There's just nothing special about it to me. I was fucking around with force grip for the whole damn demo, and not once did it make me go "Hey, that was fucking cool". The game just feels like a big pile of gimmicky, poorly-controlling, "it's been done before" mediocrity.

Triple B on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Triple B wrote: »

There's just nothing special about it to me. I was fucking around with force grip for the whole damn demo, and not once did it make me go "Hey, that was fucking cool". The game just feels like a big pile of gimmicky, poorly-controlling, "it's been done before" mediocrity.

Did you try throwing your lightsaber into the guy you were gripping? Or shooting lightning at him? Or force pushing him? Or all three?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Honestly I probably spent a lot more time fucking around with the few physics things you can mess with in the game. I replayed the Force Grip tutorial tons of times, just so I could hover that crate behind the glass panes and send it flying back up over my head so that the glass exploded all around me. I also spent about ten full minutes just force pushing the giant doors in all manner of ways. Ended up fucking with the metal enough that the doors had expanded another 1/4 of the door width. And god damn, those metal panels in corridors... Lining up my helpless victim just right to get it to cave in just right.

Also spent probably way too much time just hanging around the hangar and using the lightsaber on the respawning TIEs. The resulting explosion and limp-body physics as you went flying around was always enjoyable.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This game was better when it was called Psi-Ops.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Triple B wrote: »
    So.

Played the demo.

*twitch*

To say that I was...remarkably underwhelmed...would be accurate. Don't think I'll be buying this'n. That's fine, really. More money to put to Fable 2/Fallout 3/Rock Band 2/etc.

I'm with this. I played the demo once, and was kinda underwhelmed. It was cool throwing people around, but for the most part, it was kinda "eh". Until the AT-ST Walker, which kicked my ass several times, until I just piled up shit to throw beforehand.

I think I'll play it again, but it wasn't clicking with me.

Houn on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Houn wrote: »
    I'm with this. I played the demo once, and was kinda underwhelmed. It was cool throwing people around, but for the most part, it was kinda "eh". Until the AT-ST Walker, which kicked my ass several times, until I just piled up shit to throw beforehand.

I think I'll play it again, but it wasn't clicking with me.

You should give it another go. My second play through was much more enjoyable than my first.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My 10th playthrough was pretty awesome.

What?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Honestly I was really, really disappointed the first time I played through it, too. I decided that I had another 30 seconds to kill so I figured I could make it through a few more times. The second time the learning aspect wasn't really there so I started just doing the most destruction I could at any chance. Third time I played it through I felt unstoppable, just finding the most satisfying way to kill people and not worrying about taking damage a lot since it was just about irrelevant save for a few spots. Fourth time I played it through I just literally walked through battles just picking people off left and right. Just pacing toward a dude, that lightsaber held the way he does, sending a stormtrooper flying at another one - I found the way that I'm going to enjoy the game the most.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I was kind of mixed (mostly positive) on the demo until
    Just before reaching the AT-ST, I cleared out the Rebels and thought I had cleared out all of the stormtroopers. I stalked past a stack of crates, and a stormtrooper popped out from behind and barked "FREEZE!", like something straight out of the movies. I gripped him, brought him close, laughed, and then fired him straight out into the abyss, he bounced hard off the guardrail on the opposite side of the chasm before falling to his demise, twisting and spinning. It was a pretty standard kill, but the whole "Freeze!" part made it so much better.

The Apprentice looks much more "Sith-like" (sunken features, pale, almost ill) than he did in Soul Calibur IV.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    My biggest complaint is that when you move items and people around while gripping them, it's not nearly fast enough for my taste. Sure, a giant TIE Fighter travels a good distance alright, but if I'm in a tight corridor I want to turn that stormtrooper into a superball.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png