As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OLD THREAD.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just got home it's downloading now.

38%

Fuuuuuuckkkkk

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    JC of DI wrote: »
    My biggest complaint is that when you move items and people around while gripping them, it's not nearly fast enough for my taste. Sure, a giant TIE Fighter travels a good distance alright, but if I'm in a tight corridor I want to turn that stormtrooper into a superball.

Let go of the trigger and they go zoomin'

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh I'm well aware of that, but I can't just repeatedly slam them into the ground/ceiling/ground/ceiling/ground with that method.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Honestly I was really, really disappointed the first time I played through it, too. I decided that I had another 30 seconds to kill so I figured I could make it through a few more times. The second time the learning aspect wasn't really there so I started just doing the most destruction I could at any chance. Third time I played it through I felt unstoppable, just finding the most satisfying way to kill people and not worrying about taking damage a lot since it was just about irrelevant save for a few spots. Fourth time I played it through I just literally walked through battles just picking people off left and right. Just pacing toward a dude, that lightsaber held the way he does, sending a stormtrooper flying at another one - I found the way that I'm going to enjoy the game the most.

Doing this in the hanger with the Imperial march blaring is the best thing.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    I really should download Yakkety Sax and play that during a runthrough of the demo. Seems like it'd be a fun thing to do.

Not as fun as this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMO8Pyi3UpY

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Touche. That is indeed awesome.

Still, Yakety Sax runs are great.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think Yakety Sax can be used to make almost anything funny.

Just like how Sigur Ros can make anything seem like a trip.

Khavall on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh I'm well aware of that, but I can't just repeatedly slam them into the ground/ceiling/ground/ceiling/ground with that method.

Destroy All Humans! was good for that. It didn't have the visceral punch of say, Stewie Griffin telekinetically bashing the grocery store teller into the wall, but you could pick a guy up, slam him into the ground (without letting go), lift him and slam him again. Even counting the anal probe, it was my favorite part of that game.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Was enthusiastic about this game before, ambivalent now. Too much time spent micromanaging the Koei-type camera and dealing with the eccentricities of the force throw system, which likes to drop shit at my enemy's feet for no apparent reason. Also, blocking a full minute of AT-ST autofire spam FTL.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I'm just not feeling this game. The normal difficulty is too easy, and the step up from that is way too hard; I can't do anything to that AT-ST with the stormtroopers picking away at me, and I can't kill the stormtroopers without the AT-ST blasting me off the edge or something stupid.

Regardless, I think I'll skip this game. I want to like it, but really, it's just missing something.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Houn wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm just not feeling this game. The normal difficulty is too easy, and the step up from that is way too hard; I can't do anything to that AT-ST with the stormtroopers picking away at me, and I can't kill the stormtroopers without the AT-ST blasting me off the edge or something stupid.

You can snipe away the troopers around the AT-ST with thrown objects. Or, you can shock the AT-ST with force lightning to stun it while you dispatch the storm troopers. You can dash to dodge the main cannon of the AT-ST and you can hold down block to deflect the entire stream of machine gun laser fire, or just dodge it. I think you can also force push the AT-ST to stun it some as well.

And the camera didn't bug me for some reason. Strange. Usually that is one of my annoyances with games.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    I wonder if this game was sponsored by crate&barrel

seriously its just a silly amount of containers and all you can do is throw them--that is their inbuilt
    purpose and ultimate destiny.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »

You can snipe away the troopers around the AT-ST with thrown objects. Or, you can shock the AT-ST with force lightning to stun it while you dispatch the storm troopers. You can dash to dodge the main cannon of the AT-ST and you can hold down block to deflect the entire stream of machine gun laser fire. I think you can also force push the AT-ST to stun it some as well.

And the camera didn't bug me for some reason. Strange. Usually that is one of my annoyances with games.

When I try to block the laser fire, the small lasers seem to get through anyway, and the big lasers aren't blockable. Anytime I stop to throw something, I get reamed with a big laser. If I ignore the troopers, and just try to beat up the AT-ST, the troopers take me out.

Regarless, I find that throwing TIE Fighters just isn't as fun as I thought it would be. Seems that there's so many enemies blasting at me, I can't really stop to have fun; I have to wipe everything out as fast as possible, or I die.

Houn on
  • Options
    jimenexjimenex Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man... another bullshit game where it takes more than two saber swipes before killing an enemy....

and with this new mechanic, lightsaber duels look to be full of button mashing...

not my style, I think I'll wait for a new JK game

jimenex on
    bg.gif
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    jimenex wrote: »
    Man... another bullshit game where it takes more than two saber swipes before killing an enemy....

and with this new mechanic, lightsaber duels look to be full of button mashing...

(I think force unleashed may not be about the lighsaber)

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    When I try to block the laser fire, the small lasers seem to get through anyway, and the big lasers aren't blockable. Anytime I stop to throw something, I get reamed with a big laser. If I ignore the troopers, and just try to beat up the AT-ST, the troopers take me out.

Regarless, I find that throwing TIE Fighters just isn't as fun as I thought it would be. Seems that there's so many enemies blasting at me, I can't really stop to have fun; I have to wipe everything out as fast as possible, or I die.

Stun the AT-ST with lightning.

I personally don't have the same difficulty complaints. I set the game as hard as the demo would let me and if anything the game was too easy.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Most of them die in one swipe, it's just the armored ones that don't.

I had enough fun with this once I stopped trying to make it be jedi knight.

Had a good moment where I ended up knocking a bunch of guys down right in front of me, so I had enough time to charge my force push to maximum.

Bye guys, send a postcard!

For the atst, you can run away from it and snipe it with lightning enhanced boxes, or just run up, double jump around it and lightning it, do some lightsaber combos then hold the lightsaber button and do the massive plunge thing. Repeat. I tried pushing it off but I pushed it to the wrong edge. Oh well.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, Sith Lord mode is very easy. The same rambo mentality worked great.

The only real problem are the few gunners in the demo.

Ranced on
  • Options
    CheesechickCheesechick Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just so you guys know, you can check out the musical score to TFU streaming online for free! Link

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Most of them die in one swipe, it's just the armored ones that don't.

I had enough fun with this once I stopped trying to make it be jedi knight.

Had a good moment where I ended up knocking a bunch of guys down right in front of me, so I had enough time to charge my force push to maximum.

Bye guys, send a postcard!

For the atst, you can run away from it and snipe it with lightning enhanced boxes, or just run up, double jump around it and lightning it, do some lightsaber combos then hold the lightsaber button and do the massive plunge thing. Repeat. I tried pushing it off but I pushed it to the wrong edge. Oh well.
    You can also dodge the ATST cannon fire easy by locking on and using the force dash in various directions to flip and roll around very cool like.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Did anyone that complains about this not being a new JK game ever fucking play a JK game?

Lightsabers took more than one hit to kill plenty of enemies. And the saber combat was so awkward and random that it wasn't button mashing because if you just tried to swing all over, it was way too fast, floaty, weird, and you were probably going to die.

Being like a JK game isn't really a good thing!

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    yeah really you people saying "omg its not jedi knight therefore it sucks" clearly had some other conception of the game cooked up beforehand apart from the rest of us, who just wanted to kill a bunch of people with the force.

and i dont have problems with the difficulty either, and when I do die that just means another chance to slaughter some enemies again.

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This game was better when it was called Psi-Ops.

But you haven't played the full game yet. You can upgrade your Force powers and other shit

Psi-Ops was awesome, but I think once TFU comes out, it'll be better.

Man, now I want to play Psi-Ops for a second time though.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Day One.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The only thing I'm really curious about is just how far everything upgrades. The 1 level upgrade from just a measly little force-nudge to that powered up force-push is a very nice upgrade for sure.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Pancake wrote: »

Did anyone that complains about this not being a new JK game ever fucking play a JK game?

Lightsabers took more than one hit to kill plenty of enemies. And the saber combat was so awkward and random that it wasn't button mashing because if you just tried to swing all over, it was way too fast, floaty, weird, and you were probably going to die.

You had perfect control in a JK game. You could swing exactly as you wanted.

I'm not of their opinion that TFU sucks. But your reasoning is wrong. Except for the one hit kill thing.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Snake101stSnake101st Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    arod_77 wrote: »

seriously its just a silly amount of containers and all you can do is throw them--that is their inbuilt

Sweet sig, I love muse.

But yeah, Im not feeling this game at all. Id rather them just make another Jedi Academy. The whole thing is like "HEY, YOU CAN THROW THIS! DO IT!...... DOOOO IIIIIIT!" o_O

Snake101st on
    Snakesig123.gif
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I'm not of their opinion that TFU sucks. But your reasoning is wrong. Except for the one hit kill thing.

I know how well you can control your saber. I used to play JA competitively. There's a reason no one ever used any single saber styles other than strong style except to use a couple special moves like the fast style's lunge. The rest were pretty useless because that same level of control just isn't there.

But along with your movement speed, the whole thing feels relatively unwieldy.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Looks like during the cut scene at the end of the demo the apprentice does a different grapple attack. Which makes me happy because grappling is fun but I didn't want to be limited to one grapple combo.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Snake101st wrote: »
    arod_77 wrote: »

Sweet sig, I love muse.

But yeah, Im not feeling this game at all. Id rather them just make another Jedi Academy. The whole thing is like "HEY, YOU CAN THROW THIS! DO IT!...... DOOOO IIIIIIT!" o_O

The Glitterati is the best--but only because he destroyed the M1D1 : (

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The game title is Force unleashed. If you are attempting to saber everything ever and turn the game into God of War you are silly. Jedi Academy got the sabering right, but the force powers weren't really all that spectacular. In this one, it's the opposite, and with the physics TFU has, I have a new favorite Star Wars game, or... I hope I will. This demo was a blast to play just to be an asshole to people.

I assume a lot of people don't realize you can integrate the force powers into your basic saber combo, which is more fun and awesome. Turn your lightsaber into a force lightning shaft'o'doom or knock bitches years away with push.

I played it on easy difficulty because that's what I wanted the game to be, a playground where I can be an asshole with magic powers. And honestly, in Jedi Academy I pretty much Force Gripped the last enemy in every pack, suspended them in mid air over a cliff, laughed until they were about to die and just let go so they fall screaming.

It's a shame you can't dismember people in TFU though.

edit: wow I sound like a psychopath

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Also, why are people complaining about the difficulty?

The AT-ST was hard as balls.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I know how well you can control your saber. I used to play JA competitively. There's a reason no one ever used any single saber styles other than strong style except to use a couple special moves like the fast style's lunge. The rest were pretty useless because that same level of control just isn't there.

But along with your movement speed, the whole thing feels relatively unwieldy.

I used to tear people apart with medium style. I knew it was supposedly weaker, and I decided to master it. It works. It's just difficult and they only need to hit you once. But it works, since it's really easy to dodge strong hits barring lag.

Regardless people are comparing this to carving up stormtroopers not fighting each other competitively, and medium style had great control and decent block.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I liked the demo, but I don't know if I'd want to play the game for more than a week or two... think I'll put it to 'rent' status for now.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, now that I waited a bit and calmed down from the omg push and sabers omg drool novelty I'll probably wait a while for the price to come down. Unless there's a promotion.
    Wish I lived inthe us and ps3 games were affordable.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    darthattondarthatton Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If people want to listen to the music in the link posted earlier; they'll have to use IE or some other browser than Firefox, which won't display the flash player that contains the music.

It's standard video game fare, but it has some serious KOTOR 2 vibes, probably because it was co-composed by Mark Griskey. Good thing I loved KOTOR 2's music!

darthatton on
    My somewhat generic Youtube channel, where you can nerd out to your heart's content.
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Neat little Easter Egg in the demo:

Republic Commando anyone?

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hah nice, I loved that game.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    CheesechickCheesechick Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    darthatton wrote: »
    If people want to listen to the music in the link posted earlier; they'll have to use IE or some other browser than Firefox, which won't display the flash player that contains the music.

It's standard video game fare, but it has some serious KOTOR 2 vibes, probably because it was co-composed by Mark Griskey. Good thing I loved KOTOR 2's music!

Actually he composed all of it except the opening title, which was co-composed by Jesse Harlin.

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    That's neat. I never played Republic Commando. I wonder if there's more of those kinds of thing in the game.

Morninglord on