As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OLD THREAD.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Actually, I thought JKA had some cool parts to it. It's definitely worth playing. There's a train level that's pretty cool and a desert level that has a Tremors-graboid type monster.

With that said, the storyline does suck Wookiee balls.

Yeah, as just a sequence of levels (does it have that one where you lose all your weapons and have to jump about like some force-powered Zebedee? Because that one sucked.) it's alright, but the story and characters are utterly dire.

edit: it just kind of felt like Star Wars: Teen Drama Edition!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i'm not entirely sure I understand the hate towards the demo. Yeah the graphics are only "good" and not "amazing" in comparison to what the standard should be, but the gameplay is fun. It feels like Ninja Gaiden + a little god of war + the force.

it could be that I just simply never followed any of the previews. My friend is a big star wars fan and I'm not really, so I went in with no expectations and so far it seems pretty damn good.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've definitely been playing this demo as a teaser. These are all level-one powers you're given, and if this is just a promise of things to come when you've leveled up your powers a bit? I'm sold. My only problem so far is that I'm a little slow using Grip to get things to fly the way I want them too, but I assume I'll get better with some practice.

Yeah, in the area at the beginning just practice on the crates till you can get stuff flying in the direction you want quickly.

I've gotten it to the point where I can grab a crate and slam it diagonally backwards through doorways to kill people hiding on the other side with some consistency.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i'm not entirely sure I understand the hate towards the demo. Yeah the graphics are only "good" and not "amazing" in comparison to what the standard should be, but the gameplay is fun. It feels like Ninja Gaiden + a little god of war + the force.

it could be that I just simply never followed any of the previews. My friend is a big star wars fan and I'm not really, so I went in with no expectations and so far it seems pretty damn good.

I don't get the hate either.

And I am the opposite I have been following this since the first concept art of the star destroyer being pulled down, I had high fucking expectations and I am in love with this demo.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You feel powerful in the demo. And in the demo you are at the lowest power level in the game.

It only gets bigger, badder and more badass from then on. Force pushing a dude is already a hammerblow to the chest, sabering someone is already kickass. And it gets better.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The video after the demo illustrates some of the awesome stuff you can do when you are more powerful. Do people just close their eyes?

Renzo on
  • Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    DrunkMc wrote: »

I don't get the hate either.

And I am the opposite I have been following this since the first concept art of the star destroyer being pulled down, I had high fucking expectations and I am in love with this demo.

Same here.

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Uh... some things I've noticed.

Force Grip a guy and hold him still. He shoots his blaster, which makes him do a backflip.

Force Gripping someone and doing tight circles on the left stick is hilarious.

I'm not a fan of the QTE, but it's nowhere near a game-breaker.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Also, has anyone mentioned Starkiller was Luke's last name in the first draft of the Star Wars script?

God, I need to get out more. Why do I know that?

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah. Even before it was announced when they said 'We can tell you the first initial is S' on Gametrailers I was 'Ok its starkiller isnt it?'

I liked how Geoff Keighley was all 'ok, I gotta ask. is the apprentice any combination of kenobi or skywalker or anything connected somehow?'

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Also, has anyone mentioned Starkiller was Luke's last name in the first draft of the Star Wars script?

I noticed that too.

To be honest, and I realize how fuckin' geeky this sounds, one of my main reasons for actually wanting to purchase/play this game is that it's official Star Wars cannon. IIRC, it's the first licensed Star Wars game to get that approval.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    beta_angel wrote: »

I noticed that too.

To be honest, and I realize how fuckin' geeky this sounds, one of my main reasons for actually wanting to purchase/play this game is that it's official Star Wars cannon. IIRC, it's the first licensed Star Wars game to get that approval.

star-wars-laser-cannons.jpg?

freakish light on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I noticed that too.

Uh, they're almost all cannon, just some are more cannon than others.

august on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I noticed that too.

Let's clarify.

It is the first game that is original trilogy canon.

IIRC Kotor 1 and 2 are official canon, as are a few others with original stories (shadows of the empire, all 4 jedi knight games with kyle katarn)

In fact, Katarn himself was created by the developers for Dark Forces, then put into official canon later due to popularity.

Once again proving that ultimate irony that the star wars universe is very fluid and evolving in the hands of fans and lucas writers despite the movies themselves being the same crap over and over. 5 times they visit tatooine for fucks sake. chewbacca is in like 80% of the movies.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    august wrote: »

star-wars-laser-cannons.jpg?

Uh, they're almost all cannon, just some are more cannon than others.

freakish light on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    mrflippy wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    QTEs themselves don't bother me, but this particular one wasn't very fluid. I kept failing it because I would be wailing away on the AT-ST, and still mashing combos when it popped up. Needs a brief buffer before the first input, so you can switch tasks.

I kept getting A with a red X through it, so I thought it wanted me to not press the A button. (Which I thought was a bit odd) So, I wouldn't press the A button and I'd get knocked on my ass.

The "A" with a red strike through it means you pressed an incorrect button. You must have been attacking one too many times just when the QTE started.

Yeah, I figured that out eventually, but it wasn't immediately clear what was happening. I wasn't expecting to have to press buttons, so I was still pressing buttons to attack.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

I noticed that too.

Let's clarify.

It is the first game that is original trilogy canon.

IIRC Kotor 1 and 2 are official canon, as are a few others with original stories (shadows of the empire, all 4 jedi knight games with kyle katarn)

In fact, Katarn himself was created by the developers for Dark Forces, then put into official canon later due to popularity.

Once again proving that ultimate irony that the star wars universe is very fluid and evolving in the hands of fans and lucas writers despite the movies themselves being the same crap over and over. 5 times they visit tatooine for fucks sake. chewbacca is in like 80% of the movies.

Good call. I stand corrected (or clarified)...

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    QTEs themselves don't bother me, but this particular one wasn't very fluid. I kept failing it because I would be wailing away on the AT-ST, and still mashing combos when it popped up. Needs a brief buffer before the first input, so you can switch tasks.

I kept getting A with a red X through it, so I thought it wanted me to not press the A button. (Which I thought was a bit odd) So, I wouldn't press the A button and I'd get knocked on my ass.

The "A" with a red strike through it means you pressed an incorrect button. You must have been attacking one too many times just when the QTE started.

Yeah, I figured that out eventually, but it wasn't immediately clear what was happening. I wasn't expecting to have to press buttons, so I was still pressing buttons to attack.

Ah, yeah, of course. And obvously, the same happened to me, since I so quickly pointed out just what the red "X" was. Definitely not a fan of unannounced QTE's, but at least if I expect them up against major enemies they should be tolerable. Also, it helps when the QTE's aren't LIFE-ENDING.

Nothing is worse than a QTE that results in insta-death upon pressing a single wrong button or being a fraction of a second too slow.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Ah, yeah, of course. And obvously, the same happened to me, since I so quickly pointed out just what the red "X" was. Definitely not a fan of unannounced QTE's, but at least if I expect them up against major enemies they should be tolerable. Also, it helps when the QTE's aren't LIFE-ENDING.

Nothing is worse than a QTE that results in insta-death upon pressing a single wrong button or being a fraction of a second too slow.
    Definitely. Once I figured out what was happening, I liked their take on it.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    After having played it...I enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Still couldn't justify spending $60 on it. I'll probably pick it up when I see it used for $30.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Any idea when/if this demo might go off Gold exclusive and into Silver territory? I don't play a lot of online 360 games so I rarely pay for Gold.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll probably pick it up when they make a goddamn PC version.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    One week is the usual affair.

Or just pick up a free 48 hour gold card from like any game store. heck, pm me and you can have one of the fifty i have.

actually dont pm me yet until i find it. ill pm you if i do.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Raze_EverythingRaze_Everything Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Maybe this has been covered but the thread has blown up since the demo hit so ill just toss it out there.

Everytime i hit a guy with my saber the game slows a bit. Anyone else have this problem? I dont know if its slowing down to let me see the hits or what but its pretty annoying.

Raze_Everything on
    RazeEverything.png
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    One week is the usual affair.

Or just pick up a free 48 hour gold card from like any game store. heck, pm me and you can have one of the fifty i have.

actually dont pm me yet until i find it. ill pm you if i do.
    Oh, thanks a lot! :-)

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've never been a Star Wars fan. But I so fucking love this game.... well, demo but the full game can only be better. MUCH BETTER.

I've only played through the demo once and was successfully torturing some baddies (they weren't stortroopers) by making them hold onto something and then subsequently slaming that something into something much bigger.

AND OMG THAT BIG FUCKING SHIP JUST FELL DOWN. D:

Big Classy on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Maybe this has been covered but the thread has blown up since the demo hit so ill just toss it out there.

Everytime i hit a guy with my saber the game slows a bit. Anyone else have this problem? I dont know if its slowing down to let me see the hits or what but its pretty annoying.

Is it hit stun like in Japanese action games? Lots of Capcom games do this, for example. They pause or slow down the action at the moment of impact for dramatic effect and to let you scan the battle easier.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    No, its possibly slow down. I've only played through the demo once but never experienced any slowdown at all. Its sad when you notice a games not lagging.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    After having played it...I enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Still couldn't justify spending $60 on it. I'll probably pick it up when I see it used for $30.

I'm pretty much right here. It's fairly good, but I'm not convinced I need it on day one yet. My biggest problem was the camera/controls not feeling quite fast enough. Not bad by any means, but not good either.

I also feel like it's going to get pretty old being pewpew'd by stormtroopers and what not after a level or two, as I was already sick of it in the demo. Let's hope there's some good enemy variety and different attacks to go with it.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    StarWolf7StarWolf7 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Does anyone know a full list of force powers?

StarWolf7 on
  • Options
    Arsenic CanaryArsenic Canary A Whirlwind of Joy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mixed feelings on the demo. It looks very Star Wars, and the graphics were nice enough. I really liked the opening cinematic, particularly the Apprentice's reaction to Vader's orders.

However, I'm really having a hard time with having to hit someone in the face three or four times with my lightsaber before they fall down.

Also, the controls just seem clunky. I'll give it another shot later and see if they become any more fluid with practice, but I'm not terribly hopeful.

Most fun I've had killing a dude? Not in showy or explosive ways. It was when I picked up a stormtrooper off the floor with the Force, hung him over the edge of the bridge, and just...let him drop. I was kind of hoping for a scream, but it was still morbidly satisfying.

EDIT: Though this game might get me to reinstall the Jedi Knight games. I miss Katarn...

Arsenic Canary on
    Steam: arsenic_canary
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    However, I'm really having a hard time with having to hit someone in the face three or four times with my lightsaber before they fall down.
    I think that I can accept this from a game perspective.

Also: (This seems a bit morbid perhaps, but) If the enemies died after the first hit, then you might not be able to have as much fun killing them?

mrflippy on
  • Options
    jimenexjimenex Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I really hate how sabering an enemy feels more like clubbing him than slicing through him...

jimenex on
    bg.gif
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Someone mentioned saber throwing a couple pages back.

You can saber throw in the demo.

I believe it's RB+X at the same time. I'm at work so I can't clarify that, but I can check in about an hour and 15 minutes when I'm home.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Also: (This seems a bit morbid perhaps, but) If the enemies died after the first hit, then you might not be able to have as much fun killing them?

It's surprisingly fun in Jedi Academy. The fights against dudes with lightsabers is really fun. It's a mod you have to download, but that mixed in with dismemberment is awesome.

Though I'm sure this system would not work in TFU at all, what with enemies being normal guys. It'd be way too easy and the game isn't really very challenging as it is.

Ranced on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

They should put in more enemies then.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    That isnt just a minor spoiler, that is the entire plot of Force unleashed in excruciating detail right there.

and fucking damn it is awesome. a clever mix of fan service and tie ins with the movies.

wish i hadnt read it now but oh man it has made me more hyped.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    word to the wise, do not look at the star wars wiki as it contains basically every plot point in the entire game. I already looked at too much by viewing the apprentice's page

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    so for those of you who read it

is it one of those omg plot twist story lines or what

Ranced on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I flipped through the artbook at Borders, but sadly did not have the money to buy it. That will be fixed tomorrow.

A couple interesting details

-That is indeed Garm Bel Iblis in the game.
    -One of the early concepts was called "Star Wars: Underworld." Seems like it was like Firefly, but in the Star Wars universe. George even gave the okay for it, but I didn't catch the part that explained why it was dropped.

The art looks really good, and I hope to get it tomorrow.

EDIT: The spoilers are beckoning me...I must resist...

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!