As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

G&T open discussion thread

1235714

Posts

  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    yalborap wrote:
    Nobody complains about the megathreads but the mods, and if I waltz in one of them and have a question regarding a game currently or previously released I generally get an answer.
    I disagree entirely. If anything in G&T is cliquey, it's those goddamn megathreads. Every now and then I'll wonder what news might have been released for the Wii recently, subsequently wonder why I never read the Wii thread, and then open it only to see some cock go on about how people who only play Madden or GTA "aren't real gamers." And then I remember why I never read that damn thread on a regular basis.
    The issue here is that when they say that, they're right. If you touch only two series, only buy a console for two series, and don't ever consider moving beyond that, you're not a gamer. You're...Something, possibly stupid for buying a console just for madden and GTA, but you're not much of a gamer.....
    I'm pretty sure you missed the point. I'm just going to say that I get a "we're better than you" attitude from certain communities within G&T and leave it at that. I have never cared for it, and it's either gotten worse since I started posting here or I'm just going crazy.
    Echo wrote:
    t's not a clique, it's just that nobody else comes in but the ones who were already there.

    That sounds like the definition of a clique to me. A clique (klɪk, klik) is an informal and restricted social group formed by a number of people who share common interests - formal social groups are referred to as societies or organizations.
    To be fair, registration has been switched on and off due to raids quite a lot lately, so I'm sure stuff like that hasn't been helping.


    Yeah, I probably did miss the point.

    yalborap on
  • ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Why not just stick the Mega-Threads in to Accumulated Forum Knowledge?

    Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I seem to have missed all of this drama and I'm thankful for that, but I thought I may as well say a couple things. First off, everyone seems to be taking things a bit too seriously. I highly doubt that most people even care about any of this with the exception of Raijin leaving, which I must say really sucks. Secondly, Whippy may have demodded him but he was just doing his job and also, Whippy is cool as hell. Maybe you don't see this if you are just posting in G&T all the time but he posts in SE quite often and his posts are always worth reading. I like that an administrator can seem like he does not really take his job seriously, but at the same time still do a really good job. And finally, like most of you guys I really could care less about Pheezer or Monoxide. As forumers they are fucking assholes and they and everybody else knows this. However, that doesn't make them bad mods necessarily. It doesn't seem like that makes sense but they are assholes and yet they seem to be at least decent at modding. Or maybe I just haven't been around here long enough. It does seem like if you are a regular though and have been here for awhile you are more succeptible to drama however. Just go back to posting as you were. This will all be forgoten within a few days and no one will care.

    And really if you think about it, Captain K is the worse mod. :P

    Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Imran wrote:
    Why not just stick the Mega-Threads in to Accumulated Forum Knowledge?

    That seems like a decent enough idea, but I doubt many people actually go there.

    Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2006
    There's too much noise in megathreads for them to be AFK material.

    Echo on
  • Nfinit VylenceNfinit Vylence Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Here's what disappoints me about this whole situation.

    Apo fucked up. I know he fucked up. You know he fucked up. Apo knew he fucked up. The chat thread knew Apo fucked up. The mods knew Apo fucked up.

    Yet the mod community (with the notable exception of mcc) came to Apo's unwavering defense, like all you guys were part of some fucked up internet frat.

    The fact of the matter is, Apo should not have that badge. If he were a normal forum member, the level of bullshit he pulled off would have earned him an immediate jailing. Maybe this would be different if this were an isolated incident, but it's not, it's the latest trollish act in a pattern of behavior. He's done this in the past, he's done it now, he will continue to do so. Especially since you guys seem all too willing to stumble over yourselves to his defense.

    As far as Pheezer goes, alright fine, if the man is going to be our mod for the foreseeable future, it'd be nice for one of you mods to take him aside and gently remind him that no matter how internet cool and popular he may be, it's bad form to treat his charges as if they were, well... his charges. There are adults in GnT, and it'd be kinda cool if he'd understand that. But if we're getting the same condescending, openly contemptuous and smarmy Pheezer that we had at the time of the last Chat Thread hiatus, then fuck ya, I'm out of here.

    If you need mods, find more mods. There's plenty of well respected forumers who would be perfect for the position-- In the meantime, you guys need to be on your hands and knees begging mcc not to decide to fuck off for good.

    For the mega threads-- Yeah, the stifle actual discussion on the console at hand. The PS3 thread is worthless save for the shills and trolls, the Rev thread has been a Nintendo Members Only chat thread since the end of E3, and the 360 thread is nearly a community removed from GnT proper entirely. However, can we not have threads dedicated to these communities (and communities they will be, thanks to each system's standard online program) while at the same time maintaining proper, separate discussion about these consoles within GnT itself? I'm at a loss as to explain why we can either have the megathreads and no outside discussion of the consoles, or no megathreads at all.

    Nfinit Vylence on
    The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides. -- Carl Sagan

    For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -- Also Carl Sagan
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    However, can we not have threads dedicated to these communities (and communities they will be, thanks to each system's standard online program) while at the same time maintaining proper, separate discussion about these consoles within GnT itself?
    BTP kind of stepped up for this with the DS Wi-Fi On thread. I don't really care for the way in which the actual game-on-ing has been managed, but I support the idea.

    Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    If you get rid of the system megathreads, you're going to go back to forum meta-moderation, whether you want to or not.

    People will be judging the validity of each news item as a thread within the first ten posts, then will promptly be jailed for thread assasination in order to make a point, then it'll keep happening.

    They should certainly be changed, mind you. As it stands now, they're basically un-moderated. The only mod that ever consistently checked the Wii, DS, and PS3 threads was mcc, while Raijin was in the 360 thread a lot. They're frequently off-topic and it often is difficult to find news as very rarely do any of the OPs update their news.

    If you get rid of them entirely, however, expect G&T to become Kotaku with an unoffensive color scheme.

    Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    My question on this is. Do we really need a rule specifically against 4chan. Don’t get me wrong I think 4chan is filled with utter trash but I think the “no porn and no porn linking” rule as well as “no hot linking” covers 4Chan. You can add in “no porn that means 4 chan as well”. So yes I agree linking to 4 chan is bad on many levels.

    Now mentioning that you saw some disturbing shit on 4Chan (IE that whole place) or even saying the name 4Chan should not be a jailable offence. Posting non porn art form there (although there is very little of that) should not be jailible. IMHO If talking about 4Chan is bannable then shouldn’t any thread where we mention Playboy be considered the same? I remember there was a lengthy thread about the Playboy Game girls issue and people requesting information from the Prime Minster on it. BTW this whole Potential Mess thing is getting old and stupid and you are not fooling anyone.

    On the subject of System/Game Mega threads. I think that the mega threads should stick around but only be used for information pertaining directly to the subject matter. EX the 360 mega thread should be used for information about the 360 itself EX: hardware ad ons like the HD-DVD drive or even news about X-box live and Microsoft’s X-box strategy. However if someone wants to start a Halo 3 thread they should be able to and not be told “we have and X-box thread for this”. I'm sure there is some game release news I have missed out on becasue I couldn't find it when shifting through the System Mega threads.

    As far as the Chat Thread I say Keep it. To be honest I know we have a “discussion” forum call Social Entropy++. Heck I used to only post there a lot before even venturing into G&T and now I post only in G&T and I don’t think I’ve been to SE++ for a couple of years. Nothing against SE++ it’s just not my flavor anymore. Heck I don’t even post in the Chat thread but it is needed for some fun lighthearted discussion now and again. I don’t see it as a Clique as there is nothing stopping anyone from posting in it. Heck I might actually start posting in the Chat thread because of this.

    As far as more mods. Yes we need some more in G&T. I’m not going to say things about Apo or Mono one way or the other as I have a Neutral opinion of them. Although I think the handling of the no 4Chan thing was handled portly by Apo and should have been more like “guys I hate to say this but I think we are going to have to stop with the 4Chan stuff. I know you all love the place (or not) but it has a ton of porn on it and that breaks the no porn rule. So lay off it. I’ll warn ya first but after that it’s time out” would have been a better way.

    I would suggest some people who have been around for a while and know the community. Legacy I think would be a decent mod. I would volunteer for it as well as I am always around G&T and been on PA for a long time.

    Artoria on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    dragonsama wrote:
    My question on this is. Do we really need a rule specifically against 4chan. Don’t get me wrong I think 4chan is filled with utter trash but I think the “no porn and no porn linking” rule as well as “no hot linking” covers 4Chan. You can add in “no porn that means 4 chan as well”. So yes I agree linking to 4 chan is bad on many levels.
    Nobody links to 4Chan. Ever. Not even the "worksafe" subforums. People just talk about it. Yeah, Apo put his foot in his mouth big time; I don't really have any more to add on that.
    As far as the Chat Thread I say Keep it. To be honest I know we have a “discussion” forum call Social Entropy++...
    Well, we also have Debate and Discourse if topical discussion is your thing. I don't really care for SE++ either. It's just not my bag.

    I could probably name a dozen people that would make good mods, but I'm not gonna bother unless they ask us for suggestions.

    EDIT: Hasn't there been a rule in place on using the PM box for things against forum rules for a while now anyway?

    Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    But I don't want to chat in SE++. I enjoy the company of fellow G&Ters, and I want to chat with them.

    I won't even go into how SE++ has it our for us or something.

    EDIT: Oh, and can we not treat G&T as the only forum with a Chat Thread?

    Faricazy on
  • *tyler**tyler* Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Faricazy wrote:
    But I don't want to chat in SE++. I enjoy the company of fellow G&Ters, and I want to chat with them.

    I won't even go into how SE++ has it our for us or something.

    EDIT: Oh, and can we not treat G&T as the only forum with a Chat Thread?

    It's not that we are out for you, it's just that often times when people from G&T come into SE++ they seem to make absolutely no effort to lurk or any of the other things that are expected of new posters.

    There are many people who post in both forums, or who have switched from one to the other successfully.

    *tyler* on
    withargho6tv.jpg
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    *tyler* wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:
    But I don't want to chat in SE++. I enjoy the company of fellow G&Ters, and I want to chat with them.

    I won't even go into how SE++ has it our for us or something.

    EDIT: Oh, and can we not treat G&T as the only forum with a Chat Thread?

    It's not that we are out for you, it's just that often times when people from G&T come into SE++ they seem to make absolutely no effort to lurk or any of the other things that are expected of new posters.

    There are many people who post in both forums, or who have switched from one to the other successfully.
    Then us having a chat thread is in your best interests, because if they take it away you'll have fifty people doing anything but lurking.

    Faricazy on
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    This discussion has nothing to do with SE, so can we please not go down that road?

    Conditional_Axe on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006
    Faricazy wrote:
    But I don't want to chat in SE++. I enjoy the company of fellow G&Ters, and I want to chat with them.

    I won't even go into how SE++ has it our for us or something.

    EDIT: Oh, and can we not treat G&T as the only forum with a Chat Thread?


    Also remember that SE++ delights in having the Red-headed stepchild of the forums atmosphere. They want you to be edgy going in, to shock you, untill you assimilate and become a social entropist yourself.

    It isn't a bad place to be, but it has its own social standards which many in G&T don't care for.

    Edit:
    This discussion has nothing to do with SE, so can we please not go down that road?

    So Sorry.

    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Must be summer because there's chat thread drama.

    Anyways, removing the chat thread would be a bad move resulting in regulars who contribute to other threads leaving and just more bad blood between the community and the mods. Plus it would just be brought back with a lot of rules that will be strictly adhered to for a couple of months and then promptly dropped until we're back at square one (the circle of forum life).

    G&T could probably use more active mods. It's great you're working behind the scenes, but the forum as a whole could benefit from more face time. The asshole mods don't really bother me when they're in the right. Pheezer may berate the poster, but so long as it's for something against the rules who cares? It's the ones who constantly troll, pick fights and absuse their power with no repercussions that really need to be demodded.

    Megathreads need to stay because they remove a lot of the clutter, but they do need some changes. The first couple of posts need to be constantly updated with important information so posters don't have to go through 50 pages of "lol cocks dicks lol" to find it. Excessive off topic posts also need to be pruned and limited; so long as we have a chat thread there's really no reason to flood OT threads with random crap.

    Invisible on
  • Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    My oppinnion may not really count as I am only a regular in the chat thread.

    I started off here as a lurker, I bided my time, waiting for something to pop up that I felt I could post about and be informed. Eventually the PSP topics started up, and as I had been following the PSP for a long time I felt I could aid in this discussion.

    Well, Imran and Mcc know that that didn't work out. I ended up coming off as nothing more then a troll and was quickly labeled a dick.

    Now I spend all my time in the chat thread. All of it, literally.

    The chat thread, to me, is a different beast then, oh say SE++. I use SE as an example not because of the disputes and fights we seem to have with them, but only because of the enviornment.

    To an oustider, me, posting in SE is something incredibly intimidating. It's like walking up to the cool kids table at lunch and sitting down without an invitation. The chat thread in GnT was a lot less intimidating to me, and because of it, I was able to join and actually talk with people. I learned that a lot of people on these boards are really cool because of it, I learned that Mcc is a pretty cool guy, despite the fact that I hated his guts when I first started posting, same can be said of Imran.

    I don't know the real point of this post, I guess I'm just trying to say, please don't take away the chat thread. Our community is very welcoming to outsiders when they try shoot the shit with us. I can't remember his name, but theres a new guy who just joined about a month ago or so, and he's already a reg in the chat thread, I think his name is like zeppelin or something.

    It may be daunting, but it is possible to break in and be able to converse with people in there, I went from being a major cock to a slightly less annoying cock. And it was all the chat threads doing!

    EDIT:New guys name is ill sleeves, go figure.

    Filler Inc. on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    If we had enough mods they could be in charge of the front-page of megathreads, or assign a responsible forumer to do each one.

    Mai-Kero on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    You're also pretty active in the Employee thread, Filler.

    Faricazy on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Invisible wrote:
    G&T could probably use more active mods. It's great you're working behind the scenes, but the forum as a whole could benefit from more face time. The asshole mods don't really bother me when they're in the right. Pheezer may berate the poster, but so long as it's for something against the rules who cares? It's the ones who constantly troll, pick fights and absuse their power with no repercussions that really need to be demodded.
    I like the no bullshit attitude that some mods (pheezer, Tube, etc.) have. It's not a problem at all when it comes to just enforcing rules.

    Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Faricazy wrote:
    You're also pretty active in the Employee thread, Filler.
    A few post here or there about shitty customers, not a lot of feedback though.

    I'm a one trick pony.

    Filler Inc. on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    How is it possible for anyone to hate mcc?

    Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    How is it possible for anyone to hate mcc?
    It was when I was new. I thought imran was being a complete dick, I started a few flame wars, Mcc closed em down, blamed me for all of it.

    You can imagine when you think you're combating the troll, when a mod takes his side you probably won't be happy bout it.

    Filler Inc. on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Invisible wrote:
    G&T could probably use more active mods. It's great you're working behind the scenes, but the forum as a whole could benefit from more face time. The asshole mods don't really bother me when they're in the right. Pheezer may berate the poster, but so long as it's for something against the rules who cares? It's the ones who constantly troll, pick fights and absuse their power with no repercussions that really need to be demodded.
    I like the no bullshit attitude that some mods (pheezer, Tube, etc.) have. It's not a problem at all when it comes to just enforcing rules.

    The problem with pheezer was that he jailed kilogre for anything he could think of. he once jailed him for spelling "hey" wrong.

    Actually the 'hey' thing is pretty hilarious now. But at the time I'd imagine that was pretty rude of him.

    Mai-Kero on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I think the problem that a lot of GnTers have with Whippy selecting who gets to be mod and who doesn't get to be mod anymore is that we have seen him do the following things:

    -Change TFS' name.
    -Unban Uriel*
    -Change the GnT description to be an insult towards us. The funny part about this one was that a mod, maybe Apotheos or Monoxide, said it was "self-depricatingly funny." Problem with that is, when it's someone else calling you names, it's not self-depricating.

    If we actually saw Whippy do stuff other than SE++, maybe even in other parts of the forum, we might trust him to be a fair admin to all of us instead of just one subforum. An admin shouldn't be exclusive to the cool kids over there, he's responsible for the entire forum and as such should stop belonging to one part of it. Does anyone disagree with this?

    *Pretty much no-one agreed with this part when it happened. While Uriel is a great forumer now, and I mean that, before the ban he was an outright troll who no one liked, and all he had to do was whine to an admin to get unbanned, entirely because said admin had never seen any of his posts.

    Mai-Kero on
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Whippy's pretty active in Graphic Violence. I think it makes sense for him to be most visible in the areas where he mods, to be perfectly fair.

    In addition, an administrator does tons of behind the scenes stuff, so I don't think you san say Whippy doesn't do anything; we're just not there to see it. It may be true that he has some bias toward one part of the forum over another, and it may be that unbanning Uriel was at best a risky gamble, but that doesn't mean he doesn't do anything.

    Conditional_Axe on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Whippy's pretty active in Graphic Violence. I think it makes sense for him to be most visible in the areas where he mods, to be perfectly fair.

    In addition, an administrator does tons of behind the scenes stuff, so I don't think you san say Whippy doesn't do anything; we're just not there to see it. It may be true that he has some bias toward one part of the forum over another, and it may be that unbanning Uriel was at best a risky gamble, but that doesn't mean he doesn't do anything.

    Good point about GV. And yeah, I guess it's hard to fault someone for posting where they want, but I wish we could see that he has anything less than disdain for GnT. I guess I just kinda don't see why the admin doesn't just handle the technical stuff, and let us have elections for mods, or let the mods select more mods, or create a secret ballot for responsible forumers and let them vote on mods.

    Mai-Kero on
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    I think the problem that a lot of GnTers have with Whippy selecting who gets to be mod and who doesn't get to be mod anymore is that we have seen him do the following things:

    -Change TFS' name.
    -Unban Uriel*
    -Change the GnT description to be an insult towards us. The funny part about this one was that a mod, maybe Apotheos or Monoxide, said it was "self-depricatingly funny." Problem with that is, when it's someone else calling you names, it's not self-depricating.

    If we actually saw Whippy do stuff other than SE++, maybe even in other parts of the forum, we might trust him to be a fair admin to all of us instead of just one subforum. An admin shouldn't be exclusive to the cool kids over there, he's responsible for the entire forum and as such should stop belonging to one part of it. Does anyone disagree with this?

    *Pretty much no-one agreed with this part when it happened. While Uriel is a great forumer now, and I mean that, before the ban he was an outright troll who no one liked, and all he had to do was whine to an admin to get unbanned, entirely because said admin had never seen any of his posts.

    Whippy does post outside of SE++ in Graphic Violence and City of X. I don't really remember seeing Alpha post that much out of G&T, so I don't think which subforum an admin posts on the most really has any relevance on to how they treat the others.

    Really of the things you listed, only the last seems kind of harsh. But I don't even remember it and it seems fine now, so maybe it was indeed just a lame attempt at a joke?

    Invisible on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Invisible wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    I think the problem that a lot of GnTers have with Whippy selecting who gets to be mod and who doesn't get to be mod anymore is that we have seen him do the following things:

    -Change TFS' name.
    -Unban Uriel*
    -Change the GnT description to be an insult towards us. The funny part about this one was that a mod, maybe Apotheos or Monoxide, said it was "self-depricatingly funny." Problem with that is, when it's someone else calling you names, it's not self-depricating.

    If we actually saw Whippy do stuff other than SE++, maybe even in other parts of the forum, we might trust him to be a fair admin to all of us instead of just one subforum. An admin shouldn't be exclusive to the cool kids over there, he's responsible for the entire forum and as such should stop belonging to one part of it. Does anyone disagree with this?

    *Pretty much no-one agreed with this part when it happened. While Uriel is a great forumer now, and I mean that, before the ban he was an outright troll who no one liked, and all he had to do was whine to an admin to get unbanned, entirely because said admin had never seen any of his posts.

    Whippy does post outside of SE++ in Graphic Violence and City of X. I don't really remember seeing Alpha post that much out of G&T, so I don't think which subforum an admin posts on the most really has any relevance on to how they treat the others.

    Really of the things you listed, only the last seems kind of harsh. But I don't even remember it and it seems fine now, so maybe it was indeed just a lame attempt at a joke?

    I didn't really list them because they were harsh, I listed them because that's all a lot of people in GnT thinks he has done in his entire admin career. Oh, and demod raijin.

    Mai-Kero on
  • SlungsolowSlungsolow Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006
    you guys can't even have a successful chat thread and you want to shit all over the only chat forum in this joint.

    ha



    ha

    Slungsolow on
    fuck your forums, fuck your administrator and fuck dynagrip for getting away with the long troll.
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Whippy's pretty active in Graphic Violence. I think it makes sense for him to be most visible in the areas where he mods, to be perfectly fair.

    In addition, an administrator does tons of behind the scenes stuff, so I don't think you san say Whippy doesn't do anything; we're just not there to see it. It may be true that he has some bias toward one part of the forum over another, and it may be that unbanning Uriel was at best a risky gamble, but that doesn't mean he doesn't do anything.

    Good point about GV. And yeah, I guess it's hard to fault someone for posting where they want, but I wish we could see that he has anything less than disdain for GnT. I guess I just kinda don't see why the admin doesn't just handle the technical stuff, and let us have elections for mods, or let the mods select more mods, or create a secret ballot for responsible forumers and let them vote on mods.
    That's certainly a fair question.

    To address some of your points:

    * I'd have to think that truly democratic mod elections are no good because they become popularity contests, and the campaigning would get out of hand fast.

    * I'm certain that the mods have a say in who joins the moderatorship.

    * A secret society? That's unnecessarily arcane.

    If anything, the best way to do that would be to let the mods nominate and put up an election poll for a day or two. it would skip a lot of the garbage that would come with the vote, but even then not all of it.

    Conditional_Axe on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Change the GnT description to be an insult towards us. The funny part about this one was that a mod, maybe Apotheos or Monoxide, said it was "self-depricatingly funny." Problem with that is, when it's someone else calling you names, it's not self-depricating.
    It was self-depricatingly funny, though... I thought so, anyway.

    And Whippy seems to be a big Phoenix Wright nut. He is cool in my book.

    Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I'm walking into this real late, so I'm sorry if any of these points have been covered to death.

    First, I don't understand the prior-noted logic for certain rules. It seemed a large motivation for change was to protect certain sub-communities that don't exist in the forum yet, and may never arrive at all. Certain things that haven't become a problem yet are apparently becoming taboo because they just might offend someone who has yet to register.

    Also, I think it'd be better if system megathreads on existing consoles were removed. For something like the Wii or PS3, they aren't so much "megathreads" as they are just hype threads, which should be free to exist. When there are still things to look forward to on the system itself, it warrants having its own thread. For something like the DS thread, though, it isn't necessary.

    Blitz Rawket on
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Slungsolow wrote:
    you guys can't even have a successful chat thread and you want to shit all over the only chat forum in this joint.

    ha



    ha
    it's comments like this that incite interforum rivalry. this is not a discussion about SE, and your post has exactly zero merit.

    Conditional_Axe on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Slungsolow wrote:
    you guys can't even have a successful chat thread and you want to shit all over the only chat forum in this joint.

    ha



    ha

    I'm pretty sure nearly everyone has said they don't want to go to SE++, mostly because of people like you and FarSide that hate anything that isn't native or at least well-entrenched in SE++. And the chat thread is extremely sucessful right now.

    Mai-Kero on
  • SlungsolowSlungsolow Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006
    Slungsolow wrote:
    you guys can't even have a successful chat thread and you want to shit all over the only chat forum in this joint.

    ha



    ha
    it's comments like this that incite interforum rivalry. this is not a discussion about SE, and your post has exactly zero merit.

    I only posted what I did because you little bastards said something first.

    G&T is supposed to be an on-topic forum, with on-topic mods... they aren't there to ensure that you have a decent "chit chat", they are there to make sure G&T is full of posts about games and technologies.

    t Mai-Kero - there are plenty of folks from G&T who post in se++. They just happen to follow the rules of the forum, unlike the jackasses who try to dive in without realizing our pool is only 2 feet deep.

    Slungsolow on
    fuck your forums, fuck your administrator and fuck dynagrip for getting away with the long troll.
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    so, i came here last november, after a short spell the other year (under a different username then), and my assessment was that it was a lot stricter than a forum i used to post on. But fair enough, horses for courses, you get what you find. As it was, i stayed out of the chat threads for a long time, because i didn't feel like i was a well-enough-known member to get any kind of online-social interaction going (oxymoron? maybe so). I posted in other threads on games i played or was interested in, news items and stuff, but it didn't really feel like "the old days", when i was on that more sociable forum. Since then, i still feel like there's a bit of a hierarchy in terms of people who've been around for longer, know each other outside of the forum, or whatever. But honestly, i'm fine with that. I'll drop in to the Chat Thread more often now and pick up a topic of conversation and run with it for a bit. That's not a problem, and i really don't think there's much of a clique. As far as i'm aware, as long as you're not a dick to others, they won't be dicks to you.
    As for some of the modding, yeah, i'd agree that for some, there does seem to be a feeling of being bulletproof. I've been kinda bothered by the occasional tone of "disagree with me, get jailed/banned", when things really didn't warrant it. Now again, the rules state "this is a dictatorship", so i can understand that the mods/admins' say is final. Sometimes, this is clearly done as a joke, and again, no problem there. It just does seem rather unfair when the average forum-member gets bullied because someone with a badge has had a bad day. It happens in any walk of life, i know, but that doesn't mean it's good.

    To summarise, i really think it would be a shame to lose the chat threads, since they're something of the social-centre to the G&T community. Also, i don't think the moderating standards are exceptionally bad, it could just do with a few more, some of the good, sociable, diplomatic members (and there's a fair few to choose from), and some of the established ones to maybe not feel the need to wave their penises around so much.

    darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I've typed this a few times, so here are my thoughts.
    My two cents are that I want to keep the megathreads. I think it keeps things nice and tidy, and I myself get all my news from the 360 thread and I keep up with it.
    I'm not trying to be a dick, but for those who are against the megathreads, do you even have the system? I guess this only applies for the 360 and DS, since they're the only ones out.
    The way I look at it, not only is it for news and Game On's, but the megathreads provide a community, which keeps us closer together. You can ask anyone who has a 360 and is in the thread, it's fun playing with other people that we know.

    NeuralFizz on
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Slungsolow wrote:
    Slungsolow wrote:
    you guys can't even have a successful chat thread and you want to shit all over the only chat forum in this joint.

    ha



    ha
    it's comments like this that incite interforum rivalry. this is not a discussion about SE, and your post has exactly zero merit.

    I only posted what I did because you little bastards said something first.

    G&T is supposed to be an on-topic forum, with on-topic mods... they aren't there to ensure that you have a decent "chit chat", they are there to make sure G&T is full of posts about games and technologies.
    That's certainly true. The chat thread in D&D, and AC, and G&T all exist at the mods' sufferance. You don't have to like it; it's a fact. There's no need to be demeaning and snarky just because you don't like it. We're supposed to be civil in this on-topic thread.

    Conditional_Axe on
  • NucshNucsh Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Ok, I've been lurking this thread since last night, and it was an awesome roundtable until about 10 minutes ago. Go take your sub-forum rivalry elsewhere.
    Faricazy wrote:
    But I don't want to chat in SE++. I enjoy the company of fellow G&Ters, and I want to chat with them.

    I won't even go into how SE++ has it our for us or something.

    EDIT: Oh, and can we not treat G&T as the only forum with a Chat Thread?

    This is the first post I found singling out SE++, and it in no way berates it. I can only take your entrance into this thread as a way to shake the tree, slung, kindly leave.

    Nucsh on
    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.