As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

• Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    i want to know more about fishing!

(fuck me i'm a nerd :/)

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    zeppelinzeppelin Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    how i mine for fish how i mine for fish lol

Damn, so FFIII comes out in September as well.... that's seriously fucked up, because Company of Heroes comes out in September as well... shit.

But I'll probably get this - the charm is unbeatable.

zeppelin on
  • Options
    KevarKevar regular
    edited August 2006
    I don't care what the box says, that kid's got spikey hair.
    you are often the most irrelevant person on the board. :-P

"Okay, Jesus, that wine doesn't really look that good."

Kevar on
  • Options
    inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    i've been hyping this game for MONTHS. i'm glad to see people are finally jumping on board the Contact train, preparing to send the game its much deserved sales.

it's about time the DS got an A-class RPG in the states.

inthegray on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    A release date would be cool.

Edit: Oh. Sept 19th. This is a very nice first post. But too long from release for me to care. I guess it's good if people want to preorder. Any word of a preorder bonus?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    This is my most anticipated game of the fall.

I'm leaving now, because I don't want anything spoiled for me.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited August 2006

Aeris dies.

Lemming on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Lemming wrote:

Aeris dies.
    Snakes are released mid-flight.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Wait, so this game comes out in just a few weeks? or a year and a month?

Ok, so a month and a week. Awesome. This looks way cool.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Lemming wrote:

Aeris dies.
    Snakes are released mid-flight.

Oh, you asshole! I didn't know that one!

:cry:

Lemming on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2006
    inthegray wrote:
    i've been hyping this game for MONTHS. i'm glad to see people are finally jumping on board the Contact train, preparing to send the game its much deserved sales.

it's about time the DS got an A-class RPG in the states.
    I was very saddened by the lack of information/coverage by any major news site.

I'm not sure if it'll be a big hit with FFIII coming soon to overshadow it, but I'll be damned if I'm not going to make sure people are aware.

It just looks really awesome.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I don't care what the box says, that kid's got spikey hair.

Technically, the box art says nothing about not having spiky haired guys.

Just spiky haired guys that also have amnesia.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Haha, awesome, the combat looks just like KotOR! Game pauses, choose how to attack/what to cast/use and it gets done.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I realize the release date is still a good ways away, but I wanted to generate buzz now so people have the chance to either preorder or look for it at release. Games like this have a good chance of becoming scarce after release.

Also, some stores won't even get copies of certain games if they lack any real press of hype. I believe Odama wasn't going to be stocked at my store, and preordering was the only way to get it.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    I realize the release date is still a good ways away, but I wanted to generate buzz now so people have the chance to either preorder or look for it at release. Games like this have a good chance of becoming scarce after release.

Also, some stores won't even get copies of certain games if they lack any real press of hype. I believe Odama wasn't going to be stocked at my store, and preordering was the only way to get it.
    This is true. I may have to swing by and preorder from Nintendo World, if they do preorders of third-party titles (I'm fairly certain they do).

Is that September date solid, then? When is FF3 supposed to come out again? I'm getting all my DS release dates confused.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    TheHanku6TheHanku6 Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    The OP says the boy crash landed with the professor, I thought the boy was from the planet?

And is it weird I keep thinking Terry looks like shinji? O_o

TheHanku6 on
  • Options
    PastryPastry Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Lunker wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:

This is true. I may have to swing by and preorder from Nintendo World, if they do preorders of third-party titles (I'm fairly certain they do).

Is that September date solid, then? When is FF3 supposed to come out again? I'm getting all my DS release dates confused.

At S-E's E3 conference they announced September 12th as the NA release date for FFIII but some websites are saying it's being delayed to October/November. So far S-E hasn't officially delayed it so in my eyes it's still September 12th.

Pastry on
    mdacho13aj.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    TheHanku6 wrote:
    The OP says the boy crash landed with the professor, I thought the boy was from the planet?

Actually, neither is correct. I spoiler this since it's part of the intro.

[spoiler:961ae5f815]The professor is attacked and lands on Terry's planet. Then Terry goes in his ship and it takes off again. The ship is attacked a second time and it lands on earth. The next part shows a person whom I THINK is supposed to be you. It's a phone ringing and a voice comes on that says (actual sound file) "We're sorry, but the number you have dialed is in space."[/spoiler:961ae5f815]

EDIT: Atlus says September 2006, but everyone else is saying the 19th. I'll update it if needed.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    TheHanku6 wrote:

[spoiler:f18d5b3371]The professor is attacked and lands on Terry's planet. Then Terry goes in his ship and it takes off again. The ship is attacked a second time and it lands on earth. The next part shows a person whom I THINK is supposed to be you. It's a phone ringing and a voice comes on that says (actual sound file) "We're sorry, but the number you have dialed is in space."[/spoiler:f18d5b3371]

EDIT: Atlus says September 2006, but everyone else is saying the 19th. I'll update it if needed.
    I am looking forward to this game, looks like I'll have to put a dent in my wii fund though...

TheHanku6 on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I preordered this game several weeks ago, after the cover was posted in one of the old DS Lite threads. I am HIGHLY looking forward to it.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    between this, ff3, starfox, and megaman zx...my ds is going to be getting alot of attention.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I also preordered this game after seeing the back cover. It can't come out fast enough. Real conversation with an EBStop employee:

"So, anything you want to pick up for your DS Lite?"
    "Nope. I will preorder Contact, though."
    "What game was that?"
    "It's called Contact."
    "I've never heard of it. What's it called again?"
    "Contact."
    "Wait, what?"
    "CONTACT. C-O-N-T-A-C-T."
    "Uhm... I don't see it in here... Oh there it is.

I swear, if it isn't an EA Sports title, they just won't know what to do with themselves.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    sixteensixteen Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    defrag wrote:
    I also preordered this game after seeing the back cover. It can't come out fast enough. Real conversation with an EBStop employee:

"What game was that?"
    "It's called Contact."
    "Contact."
    "Wait, what?"

I swear, if it isn't an EA Sports title, they just won't know what to do with themselves.

Idiocy. Total bumbling idiocy.

sixteen on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    defrag wrote:

"What game was that?"
    "It's called Contact."
    "Contact."
    "Wait, what?"

You should have hit his weak point for massive damage.

TheHanku6 on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Is this game going to be $35 everywhere, or is Gamestop jacking up the price $5 over MSRP?

Edit: nevermind, it is $30 at Amazon. Maybe it'll be $30 at Gamecrazy.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    RavenlockRavenlock Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    TheHanku6 wrote:

[spoiler:b92782995d]The professor is attacked and lands on Terry's planet. Then Terry goes in his ship and it takes off again. The ship is attacked a second time and it lands on earth. The next part shows a person whom I THINK is supposed to be you. It's a phone ringing and a voice comes on that says (actual sound file) "We're sorry, but the number you have dialed is in space."[/spoiler:b92782995d]

Actually,

[spoiler:b92782995d]I get the distinct impression that the person on the phone at the end is from Terry's home planet, trying to call him, but they can't, 'cause he's been taken into space. It might be the person he's with in the first (very strange) part of the intro movie, before the professor lands.[/spoiler:b92782995d]

EDIT: Having watched all the videos, my only potential complaint is that the combat looks almost MMO'ish in nature, picking a tactic and then just sitting there watching HP count down on either side, only switching tactics if need be.

That's very efficient, but doesn't give the player much to DO, at least not in the battles the videos show. Hopefully more user input will be necessary for battles that aren't against strange worms jutting out of the ground. :wink:

Ravenlock on
    Steam ID: Ravenlock
    XBL / GFWL Gamertag: Ravenlock80
    Wii System Code: 3019 1654 2730 1955
    <Whore> Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast! </Whore>
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    The devs have said there's a ton of minigames and side stuff to do. Combat is nearly as all-consuming as most RPGs.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MetalfootMetalfoot Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Ahem...

Steambot Chronicles... Metal Saga... Disgaea 2... now Contact...

Fuck you Atlus, fuck you...

Metalfoot on
  • Options
    ThePoisonNinjaThePoisonNinja Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    This game has to be the thing I am hyping the most. A lot of my friends just picked up Lites and whenever they ask what good games are coming out this is at the top of the list. I also hype it to everyone that comes into the gamestop I work at. I just hope it's good as I think it's gonna be or a lot of people might have some words for me.

ThePoisonNinja on
    thepoisonninja.gif
  • Options
    Captain AmazingCaptain Amazing Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Famitsu gave it a 9 7 8 9.

All signs point to awesome.

Edit: If this game has been out in Japan for a while, shouldn't we be able to get a better description of the wifi elements?

Edit 2: I found a pdf of the manual.

http://filexoom.com/files/10740/Contact - Instruction Booklet (07-31-2006).pdf
    Successfully contacting a friend will allow you to transfer data with each other. Once you've made contact, your friend's name will be registered on your Contact friend list. Registered friends will appear in your game on WiFisland as non-playable characters. What information will be exchanged when you use the Wi-Fi connection...?

Captain Amazing on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    You live up to your name. Very cool.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Thanks to the original post, I am now sold on making Contact my next DS purchase.

I hope they have good translators to adapt the humor to our culture.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Lux wrote:
    Thanks to the original post, I am now sold on making Contact my next DS purchase.

I hope they have good translators to adapt the humor to our culture.
    Read the manual.

I think it should put your fears to rest.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    "Crazy moon language".

Yes.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    LethardicusLethardicus Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    fuck yes, this game makes me wet myself in excitement out of how awesome itll be, atlus has rarely let me down on titles like this (cept deep labrynth)

Lethardicus on
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Well damn. People should release the manual ahead of time intentionally, since this is really making me want the game. :P

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Pastry wrote:
    Lunker wrote:

At S-E's E3 conference they announced September 12th as the NA release date for FFIII but some websites are saying it's being delayed to October/November. So far S-E hasn't officially delayed it so in my eyes it's still September 12th.

A quick check of EBGames.com says:

FFIII: 11/1
    FF Crystal Chronicles -- Ring of Fates: 10/1 (with no image or information...)
    EDIT: Also, Yggdra Union (Atlus SRPG for GBA): 10/24; the only thing worse than the summer gaming drought is the inevitable fall gaming overload. :x

Add salt according to your personal taste.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Well damn. People should release the manual ahead of time intentionally, since this is really making me want the game. :P

I think it's one of the best ways to tell whether a game will be good or not. I mean, if it matters to you what the gameplay is like. They really should make manuals public.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Pre-ordered this when I picked up Summon Night on Saturday.

Considering that I beat Summon Night on Sunday, I think I've been jonesing for some RPG goodness.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    has it been said when this is launching in the UK/Europe, since i'm not seeing it as a pre-order on play.com, when they've got March of the Penguins listed.

March of the frickin' Penguins.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png