As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Question About SE++ Chat Threads

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    xzzy wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    Then how about enjoying D&D instead of hopping around like the kid in your avatar?

I don't see anything there that interests me. I want to talk about games, and more games, and still even more games. Occasionally I want to goof off with a hilarious youtube or photoshop edit.

Then talk about games in G&T.

And do the other stuff in SE.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    Tee-hee, the SE clique. All we have are in-jokes. Once you understand them then you'll be fine. Of course, that comes from reading and not immediately making threads reminding people that another forum is putting up it's tent. But, oh, hey, lets not actually make an effort or anything.

That is a straight up and down lie.

Consdering you're a Certified Angus retard I don't think you have much wiggle room. It's just that people in G+T and D&D don't have the ability to call you on it.

Even if I am mentally retarded and not able to procces complex thoughts at least I am not evil. At the very least I try to value kindness, understanding and fairness. At least I believe in something besides the hardness of my own cock.

Heh, I like it when people take things literally.

PS Your Simpsons idea was the worst thing ever comitted to a public venue.

And xzzy, I hate to say it but:

The PA Forums? They're not for you.

A duck! on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006

And here we go again, people telling other people they don't belong here.

Anyways.

The one thing that's always bugged me about the PA forums is how rarely someone takes the time to actually respond to the issues I posit.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Smart Hero wrote:
    xzzy wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    Then how about enjoying D&D instead of hopping around like the kid in your avatar?

I don't see anything there that interests me. I want to talk about games, and more games, and still even more games. Occasionally I want to goof off with a hilarious youtube or photoshop edit.

Megathreads were destroyed. Most (if not all) of the good game related discussions were had in the megathreads.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Smart Hero wrote:
    xzzy wrote:
    A duck! wrote:

Megathreads were destroyed. Most (if not all) of the good game related discussions were had in the megathreads.

So good conversations can only occur in megathreads?

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Smart Hero wrote:
    xzzy wrote:
    A duck! wrote:

I really don't think the good discussion is going to go away just because there's not a huge thread anymore.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2006
    Athenor wrote:

And here we go again, people telling other people they don't belong here.

Anyways.

The one thing that's always bugged me about the PA forums is how rarely someone takes the time to actually respond to the issues I posit.

No, what I'm saying is that maybe what he wants would be best found elsewhere. It's sort of a difference, but I've seen a lot of people bemoan that what kept them here is gone, and left. If he wants something, and it's not coming back, it does him no good to belabor the issue.

And even if we don't quote you I think at least a few of us have touched on points you put out there.

A duck! on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    Athenor wrote:
    Here's where my eyebrow raises.

This part gives a few different impressions, depending on how you read it. One strong impression is that G&T is a place that people who fail in SE++ come.. this implies second-class status, or a waiting line of sorts. It also implies that SE++ is a place that -has- a standard, one that G&T posters have failed to meet. This, again, implies elitism.

SE++ does have a standard. It is not firmly documented outside and/or other than the rules thread, but it is fimly in the minds of the mods. Some real life advice that applies to SE++, don't go cliff diving in untested waters.
    Athenor wrote:
    On the other hand, that part expresses that Whippy -admits- the G&T chat thread and megathreads have become a sort of "SE++ treehouse" for those who feel they are better than SE++, and want to create that kind of chat thread atmosphere without dealing with the masses. This is of course wrong, and I'm all for steps to alleviate that.

'nuff said, moving on...
    Athenor wrote:
    The thing that makes me wonder, though, is where the two will eventually meet. Is SE++ going to move up or down to meet with G&T, and the same question can be posited to G&T. And is this meeting of tastes even happening? So far, I've seen the equivelent of a middle-school dance: Everyone stands on different sides of the gym, making wise cracks about the other, and those that do venture between them are ridiculed because their very uneasiness gives the other side fodder.

Yes, people will get over it. Give it a week or so.
    Athenor wrote:
    I just dunno. I have so many questions right now. I look in G&T, and I see my main reasons for posting there are gone (I thrive on discussing next-gen consoles and the politics and business behind them). On the other hand, I am very much enjoying discussing the politics and business behind this choice here.

So.. yeah.

I'm gonna go find Ceres' post on the subject, as I think that needs to be seen.

As with most things, I advocate a 'wait and see' attitude.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Does not parse.

Beat me to it.

One post was made when I was all hot and bothered. The other, after the thread had aged and some of the words spoken had tempered me a bit. Take a screenshot ladies, because you've just witnessed someone on the internet actually change their opinion.

Well, sort of. I still have views about SE but at least I'm not using bad words anymore.

xzzy on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    And even if we don't quote you I think at least a few of us have touched on points you put out there.

I meant that statement in general.. It's just a general thing, and it's not just this forum.

I tend to live by an adage that if something's already been said, there's no reason to post about it again, as that only adds to the inane noise of a forum. I'm trying to make every post I make in this debate reflect different facets of said debate, preferably in ways that can be expanded on into good discussion. Most of the time it fails it seems. =P

anyways, just venting there for a second. =)

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Bri knows the score. He's a smart dude.

How you doin man.

t xzzy: Your more recent post states you would never touch "the lameness that is SE++" So your opinion went from elitist...to more elitist?

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Smart Hero wrote:
    xzzy wrote:
    A duck! wrote:

I really don't think the good discussion is going to go away just because there's not a huge thread anymore.

True. But the megathreads shouldn't have been a problem in the first place. Actually, I still can't figure out how they were a problem.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    A duck! wrote:

They were just fine up until Friday, I don't see why they aren't now.

G&T is still the single best place to discuss games on the entire internet, irrespective of my conflicts with how the mods maintain it.

xzzy on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    You know, before we got rid of the megathreads in D&D, most--if not all--of the good political discussions were had in the megathreads.

Now, most of the good political discussions are held in their own threads, and there are more of them.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Can I post a "What is your favorite gaming chair" thread in the D&D forums? I'm really don't think D&D is meant for G&T style chatting.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:
    Can I post a "What is your favorite gaming chair" thread in the D&D forums? I'm really don't think D&D is meant for G&T style chatting.

If you could come up with a discussion beyond "What chair do you like" it might fly.

Discussions tend to need more than each person's individual answer to be one.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    To be honest, I'm kinda feeling something like the ending of the movie The Truman Show right now (if anyone cares).

I look through the threads.. and I don't know what to post.. and I can't find anything entertaining that catches my eye. So I'm probably going to be posting quite a bit less.

The most important issues I've seen are the hypocricies, but those have been beaten to death. =)

Edit: actually, all this talk about "what chair do you like" is kind of making me wonder about a gaming "den" style post/thread, something along the lines of what you game in, do you prefer chairs with built in speakers, do you know of any deals, so on and so forth...

Athenor on
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Edit - fuck it.

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    Smart Hero wrote:

How you doin man.

t xzzy: Your more recent post states you would never touch "the lameness that is SE++" So your opinion went from elitist...to more elitist?

Keeping it on the down low man.

Like, under the radar.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Smart Hero wrote:

How you doin man.

Like, under the radar.

Stealth Bri. Gotcha. Still on the other coast?

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:

How you doin man.

Like, under the radar.

Stealth Bri. Gotcha. Still on the other coast?

Taking this to PMs

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    The SphinxThe Sphinx Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    You know, before we got rid of the megathreads in D&D, most--if not all--of the good political discussions were had in the megathreads.

Now, most of the good political discussions are held in their own threads, and there are more of them.
    I know, man. It's worked out for D&D by all accounts.

It's just that, there is A LOT of news and speculation about the consoles, and A LOT of discussion about them in G&T. If individual threads about every single game and accessory and piece of news don't overwhelm the first page of the forum everything will be fine. If they DO overwhelm the first page you'll get the same kind of repetition of questions and topics that you saw in the megathreads... except it will be in the form of duplicate topics on the forum page.

For an example of what I fear G&T will look like, I present AVSForum. They even have megathreads there, they just aren't strict about enforcing a rule that all discussion of a certain piece of hardware should go in that hardware thread. As a result they are flooded by gazillions of little duplicate topics that tend to push the informative posts off the front page.

What's good for D&D may not be good for G&T, is all I'm sayin'.

The Sphinx on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Smart Hero wrote:

I can do whatever I want in my head, thank you for asking.

I'll just be more polite about it when talking to other people.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:
    Do it in such a way that it conforms to D&D's rules, and you may be able to.

However, I cannot picture a "what is your favorite gaming chair" thread that conforms to D&D's rules.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:

If you could come up with a discussion beyond "What chair do you like" it might fly.

If only there were a place where people could not only list their choices, but discuss them as well. Hmm

And if only there were a way to expand his discussion beyond a mere topic.

Hmm. If only.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:

If only there were a place where people could not only list their choices, but discuss them as well. Hmm

And if only there were a way to expand his discussion beyond a mere topic.

Hmm. If only.

Obviously, the only answer is a new gaming chair subforum.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    The Sphinx wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:

It's just that, there is A LOT of news and speculation about the consoles, and A LOT of discussion about them in G&T. If individual threads about every single game and accessory and piece of news don't overwhelm the first page of the forum everything will be fine. If they DO overwhelm the first page you'll get the same kind of repetition of questions and topics that you saw in the megathreads... except it will be in the form of duplicate topics on the forum page.

For an example of what I fear G&T will look like, I present AVSForum. They even have megathreads there, they just aren't strict about enforcing a rule that all discussion of a certain piece of hardware should go in that hardware thread. As a result they are flooded by gazillions of little duplicate topics that tend to push the informative posts off the front page.

And you might be right. However, the way to find out whether this will work in G&T or not isn't by deciding "this won't work, no way, no how," and then sabotaging every attempt to make it work, just so you can have things stay the same.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    The Sphinx wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:

And you might be right. However, the way to find out whether this will work in G&T or not isn't by deciding "this won't work, no way, no how," and then sabotaging every attempt to make it work, just so you can have things stay the same.
    I'm not sabotaging anything. The megathreads haven't even been locked yet.

But what will you do if it doesn't work? By 'you' I mean rhetorically, whoever is in charge of decision-making over G&T.

The Sphinx on
  • Options
    Ghost Rider 2099Ghost Rider 2099 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    xzzy wrote:
    A duck! wrote:

They were just fine up until Friday, I don't see why they aren't now.

G&T is still the single best place to discuss games on the entire internet, irrespective of my conflicts with how the mods maintain it.

"...The vast majority of the guys running the PA boards not only don't give a shit about what happens there, they are openly contemptuous of board regulars and thier wishes..."

Some one said this somewhere and it is what I have found to be true in my experiance.

Gabe and Tycho stear clear mostly or their own forums.
    Most attendies at PAX who were cool with meeting new people agreed that the PA forums was very bad.

Changes had to be made, why, didn't they work the way u intended for them to work? No? I wonder why? The mods play favorites and seem to act like enforcers for the lowest common denominator douche bags. This is dog eat dog. If you respect the mods you have a fifty chance of being bitten on the face as getting your point being heard.

Ghost Rider 2099 on
    5.gifCrackdown_21.thumbnail.jpgI follow console news because it's fun, like tracking the rivalries in what was once called the World Wrestling Federation. There are larger than life characters. There are signature techniques.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    xzzy wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:
    I can do whatever I want in my head, thank you for asking.

I'll just be more polite about it when talking to other people.
    So, given that you've decided "in your head" that no one intelligent would ever want to post in SE++, why would we want to listen to any of your opinions on it?

It would be like going to the Southern Baptist Church, and asking them how to increase the availability of abortion.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    The Sphinx wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:

Unfortunately the main reason it wouldn't work would be because the users don't like a cluttered forum, and decide to leave. Or new users are even more intimidated by all the small threads than they were by the mega ones.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:

However, I cannot picture a "what is your favorite gaming chair" thread that conforms to D&D's rules.

So where does it fit? I just want to have a simple chat about gaming chairs. It doesn't fit in G&T according to the new rules. I'm gathing the topic was considered "stupid" in SE++. D&D it probaly doesn't fit.

Alot of G&T chat revolved around stuff like this.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:

"The comfy chair!" as a title gets bonus points for the Monty Python reference.

Then, basically, the first post is something about how we spend lots of time at our computers and in front of our televisions. What kind of furniture works best here. Got a favorite brand? Bla bla bla.

It is doable.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:

So where does it fit? I just want to have a simple chat about gaming chairs. It doesn't fit in G&T according to the new rules. I'm gathing the topic was considered "stupid" in SE++. D&D it probaly doesn't fit.

I don't think I ever saw a "gaming chairs" discussion in G&T in any form.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    The Sphinx wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:

But what will you do if it doesn't work? By 'you' I mean rhetorically, whoever is in charge of decision-making over G&T.
    I wasn't referring to you, specifically, but to "you" as in "G&T chat threaders," some of whom have been deliberately trying to sabotage the change because they don't like it (though, most of whom seem to be handling things pretty well, from my admittedly limited perspective).

And if you think I'm going to tell you "if it doesn't work, we'll put everything back," I honestly have to ask you: what the fuck have I done to make you think I'm that fucking stupid? Seriously, that's a goddamn slap in the face.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:

Then, basically, the first post is something about how we spend lots of time at our computers and in front of our televisions. What kind of furniture works best here. Got a favorite brand? Bla bla bla.

It is doable.

I currently use a shitty-ass folding chair at my computer. I was honestly looking forward to some chair reccomendations before I noticed the thread was locked.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Bamelin wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:

I don't think I ever saw a "gaming chairs" discussion in G&T in any form.

I made one awhile back. It lasted 7 or 8 pages I think. =)

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    I currently use a shitty-ass folding chair at my computer. I was honestly looking forward to some chair reccomendations before I noticed the thread was locked.
    Make an H/A thread.

I will personally guarantee that an appropriately-worded H/A thread to that effect will fly.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:

It is doable.

I am considering testing the waters on this theroy, but I want to be fresh before I post. Last thing I want is an ill formed idea to doom my experiment in the opening stages.

Step 1: Rest.
    Step 2: Carefully formulate my inquiery.
    Step 3: Check my spelling.
    Step 4: ???
    Step 5: Profit!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    The Sphinx wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:

I wasn't referring to you, specifically, but to "you" as in "G&T chat threaders," some of whom have been deliberately trying to sabotage the change because they don't like it.

And if you think I'm going to tell you "if it doesn't work, we'll put everything back," I honestly have to ask you: what the fuck have I done to make you think I'm that fucking stupid? Seriously, that's a goddamn slap in the face.
    I wasn't playing games with you, Thanatos. And I don't think you're stupid.

This wasn't... the type of response I was expecting.

The Sphinx on
This discussion has been closed.