As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WAR: {Bracket Thread}

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm not normally too much of a PvP guy. But this game may make me one. Playing with some PA folk with Vent up and shit.

captaink on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2008
    are you guys planning on playing open or core

cuz id love to somehow manage to get onto the same server as one of the PA guilds

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    captaink wrote: »
    I'm not normally too much of a PvP guy. But this game may make me one. Playing with some PA folk with Vent up and shit.

You haven't had good PvP, that's why. People can be dicks and it can be a little laggy and people can abuse the game mechanics and shit, blah.

But really, if you are a functional adult with basic computational and understanding skills and have an alright computer, you should be able to have massive amounts of fun in RvR, even when losing. It's just how the game is set up.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    are you guys planning on playing open or core

cuz id love to somehow manage to get onto the same server as one of the PA guilds

Core, definitely.

Open servers, at this point, are completely pointless and ruin most of the game.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008

You haven't had good PvP, that's why. People can be dicks and it can be a little laggy and people can abuse the game mechanics and shit, blah.

But really, if you are a functional adult with basic computational and understanding skills and have an alright computer, you should be able to have massive amounts of fun in RvR, even when losing. It's just how the game is set up.

I've been enjoying it in the beta and that has been PUGs so far.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Daric wrote: »
    Open servers, at this point, are completely pointless and ruin most of the game.

Which leads me to believe that we haven't seen the final structure for that server.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I've been enjoying it in the beta and that has been PUGs so far.

Okay, coupling the fact that beta characters don't carry over + you are in PUGs + it's a beta. Your fun should be exponentially bigger at launch. :D

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Which leads me to believe that we haven't seen the final structure for that server.

Or they will be cut or delayed.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Or they will be cut or delayed.

They hadn't changed as of 4.1, so I don't think they're going to before release. We're getting down to the wire.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    They haven't said anything about either server type since they first announced them, even with the amazing outcry for RP-Open and more clarification on the rules of open. Hell, Jeff was even vague to me with his answers when I asked him at PAX.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    hey flavabean, can i call you stevesy?

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, I remember the Chosen having some sort of ranged attack. In my days, this attack had an unlimited range and I exploited the shit out of it.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    open totally isn't necessary with the design of the game.

pve is just a tool to level up your character for new abilities. the rvr areas are already so extensive, and there are so many options for pvp with keeps and scenarios that it's not really necessary to have people ALSO fucking with you while you go through the pve content. mainly seems to be there for gankers and such which is totally not the kind of pvp i'm interested in.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    but there are people interested in that, and making a ruleset to cater to those players will do nothing but net them more subscriptions which results in more money which results in a better game in the long run

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    oh well sure there's nothing wrong with them making the ruleset

i just don't see why i/we should play on it.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Because I will be there and you/you should play with me :P

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    why would you be there. that is a silly thing. why would you do a silly thing.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Because I want to kill people everywhere.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    i enjoy being able to choose when i kill people

sometimes i would rather relax and grow plants, or kill things that won't circlestrafe around me.

i also really hate people who make it their mission to keep me from completing pve objectives. i don't see how that is fun for anyone unless you are some kind of sadist? i enjoy RvR because i know the people that are there want to be there and we are fighting on an even battlefield (with bolstering and all).

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Warhammer is only superfically concerned with roleplay. I'm okay with that.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Riale wrote: »

sometimes i would rather relax and grow plants, or kill things that won't circlestrafe around me.

i also really hate people who make it their mission to keep me from completing pve objectives. i don't see how that is fun for anyone unless you are some kind of sadist? i enjoy RvR because i know the people that are there want to be there and we are fighting on an even battlefield (with bolstering and all).

I can completely understand that viewpoint. Personally, I have never liked being able to run past a person of the opposing faction and do nothing about them being there in front of me. It trivializes the whole "conflict" setting.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have never liked being able to run past a person of the opposing faction and do nothing about them being there in front of me. It trivializes the whole "conflict" setting.

How often does this happen in Tier 4 if I may ask?

Tyberius on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I can completely understand that viewpoint. Personally, I have never liked being able to run past a person of the opposing faction and do nothing about them being there in front of me. It trivializes the whole "conflict" setting.

yeah s'cool. that's why the choice is there. just, personally I hope there is some SE++ presence on a non open server because I don't have the time to play that I used to and there's no way i'll end up on open. we'll see what happens.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008

exactly

not to mention I just find it boring that someone from an opposing faction can't fuck with me and vice versa
    sure, it can suck to get corpse camped by someone
    but in my opinion it sucks even more when pvp isn't even an option so there's no excitement
    you know you're safe, hence it's boring

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    the thing is though, there are areas for that excitement in every zone. as you go up in level those areas only become larger. from what I've heard about T4, it's about 90% rvr and 10% pve space. the excitement is there, and the real action is in the RvR sections. you are encouraged and rewarded in going there.

however, in order to progress your character and get some PQ equipment and crap there is still some PvE to be done. I would rather do that PvE quickly and easily in order to get it over with so I can go do PvP that will reward me and directly help my faction.

rather than dicking around killing people trying to quest and then getting corpsecamped and no one's going to help you because they're all off killing people, at, you know, the RvR areas where there are quests involving it and crap.

then again, coming from WoW and other MMOs with PvP shoved in I totally understand the complaints. I even initially considered Open servers. but, once you try the game out you'll realize that there is so much PvP that is immediately accessible and active that there is no need for PvP everywhere. you're going to be so steeped in scenarios and RvR areas from level 2 onwards that you're going to want a break so you can level your character and get more interesting abilities so you can own people harder in the pvp that matters.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    I still think that's the pussy option

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think I want to play this.

How are the goblins that raise those ball creatures?

they seem fun.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    In any case, in their current incarnation Open servers are pretty fucked anyways.

captaink on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    wait the greenskins don't have a melee DPS class?

that seems incredibly wrong

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah. But by all accounts, Choppas were crappy and boring.

captaink on
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fallout wrote: »

It's like, backwards

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

squig herders?

i think they can melee..

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    the cheat wrote: »

squig herders?

i think they can melee..

They're gobbos. They really suck at it.

captaink on
  • Options
    SephSeph Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    still totally bummed there will be no black ark :(

i mean i love dark elves (screw you, buddy) in all games. There are awesome in D&D, awesome in EQ

there are so snooty and xenophobic in most games that they would never get in on that "living with orcs" kinda deal.

Dirty northmen (albeit pretty cool) stupid, dirty orcs (booo!) are not the types of people dark elves want to roomy with

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    oic.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

oh come on they could've just ripped off fury warriors from wow!

also: does the interface still look like it was lifted right from wow?

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    SephSeph Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    my gut feeling tells me wow is going to release content patch 3.0 the same week/day WAR goes live and it is going to

really hurt WAR

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008

More or less. It's kind of the standard mmo interface these days.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

More or less. It's kind of the standard mmo interface these days.

yeah, as much as that irks me it's kind of hard to blame them, blizzard pretty much got it right

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    emotsirengf2.gifemotsirengf2.gifemotsirengf2.gifhttp://www.vgblogger.com/?p=3731 emotsirengf2.gifemotsirengf2.gifemotsirengf2.gif

Warhammer 40k 3rd person Devil May Cry-ish game

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
This discussion has been closed.