As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Aliens Colonial Marines teaser...AND I WILL TRY AGAIN TYVM

14567810»

• Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Give me battlefield style classes and a left 4 dead 4 player co-op and I'll buy this game twice.

Turn out to be Doom 3 in space and I wont.

Doom 3 was in space, genius.

:P

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    delroland wrote: »
    Give me battlefield style classes and a left 4 dead 4 player co-op and I'll buy this game twice.

No it wasn't.

Mars is not space. Mars is a planet.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

haha :lol:

Etch on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

No it wasn't.

Was on one of mars moons, which are only called moons because permanently orbiting asteroids sounds silly.

edit: Sorry man, was thinking doom 1, but you said doom 3. My bad, was on Mars.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

No it wasn't.

Was on one of mars moons, which are only called moons because permanently orbiting asteroids sounds silly.

edit: Sorry man, was thinking doom 1, but you said doom 3. My bad, was on Mars.

I only compared Doom 3 because it looks a lot like Doom 3. Only in space. :P

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Jast wrote: »
    Apone should of lasted longer. He should of died holding the rear to let the others escape. Instead he gets wtfpwned about 10 seconds in.

A well established cinema technique.

Like when Sam Jackson gets eaten in Deep Blue Sea.

Cause if that motherfucker gets offed than noone is safe.

Yep, the best horror technique is to give the impression that no one is safe. Shame almost no one in Hollywood understands this these days. Just imagine if the face hugger got Ripley and/or Newt and the rest of the movie was left to Hicks to save the day.

Apparantly that was the whole point of killing off Tom Skerrit's character (Dallas?) halfway through the first Alien movie. People were to assume initially that he was the main character. Ripley being the survivor is in no way obvious other than the fact that its common knowledge now.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, if I recall Sigourney Weaver wasn't really given any billing, Tom Skerrit was given top billing

It's the Alfred Hitchcock "Psycho" technique - kill the star off quick and leave everyone going 'what the fuck'

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Reminds me of in children of man when
    the motorcyyclist drives past, I just thought "oh they'll do something tricky and avoid it"

BAM

"oh sweet jesus"

There was no gently slipping into that, one second she's there, the next she's dead.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Reminds me of in children of man when
    the motorcyyclist drives past, I just thought "oh they'll do something tricky and avoid it"

BAM

"oh sweet jesus"

There was no gently slipping into that, one second she's there, the next she's dead.

Children of Men was really good at that

Also cinematography

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Why did no one tell me I could watch John Carmack choke a six foot six, two hundred and thirty pound man into unconsciousness? I guess we were all too busy with PAX. Thank you Jace Hall (mostly for any contribution you made to Blood and NOLF but also) for this absurdly awesome video.

Back to the subject, I've just been playing through AvP2 again (probably because of this thread). The aliens in that game were freaking fast. Gnats on crystal meth fast. The clip of the new game looked like slow motion, comparatively. I'm not necessarily against that. It may be to compensate for making them more lethal / numerous than the aliens in AvP2. Or it may just be that they only move that speed while climbing.

It's nice that they're addressing the elephant ship full of eggs. The whole premise of Alien 3 and 4 seemed to be that Ripley was the only way for Weyland-Yutani to get their hands on an alien, which made no sense at all.

If Colonial Marines does nothing more than give me an experience on the level of Republic Commando and adds co-op, it will be my game of the year. Any year. Hell, I'd still pay money for Republic Commando with co-op, dammit.

Great. Now I have to reinstall Republic Commando. This thread sucks.

(Why the fuck did I ever uninstall Republic Commando? I must have hit my head or something.)

Blain on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Blain wrote: »
    (Why the fuck did I ever uninstall Republic Commando? I must have hit my head or something.)

I uninstall and reinstall it at least twice a year.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    chasm wrote: »
    Blain wrote: »

I uninstall and reinstall it at least twice a year.

Good thing this was before install limits or tech support would be on a first name basis with you. :lol:

Seriously I've got to try this game sometime, everyone raves about it. Was there a demo release? Is it a decent representation of what the game's like?

subedii on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    To my knowledge DRM only limits the amount of computers you can install it to.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Was there a demo release? Is it a decent representation of what the game's like?

IIRC the demo is the very beginning of the last segment of the game (liberating Kashyyyk). That segment was visually unappealing and pretty damn difficult to just dump newbies into. The game has many cooler locations (even just later in Kashyyyk when you're fighting up in the trees), and it does a pretty good job of teaching you how to handle yourself. But mostly it did a better job of making me feel like part of a squad than any WWII game I've played.

Just drop the $8 + S&H and thank us later.

Vode An

If Video Games Live ever does this song I will get thrown out because I will be compelled to stand and salute the entire fucking time. Thankfully it's short. And they'll never play it.

Blain on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    forum_495e875a_Noooooo!!!.jpg

From Kotaku
    http://kotaku.com/5096520/rumor-gearbox-lays-off-26-drops-aliens-colonial-marines
    We've heard from multiple sources that Gearbox Software has laid off a number of its employees today, with lower than expected sales of Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway being blamed for the cutbacks. Estimates for those affected range from as little as 15 to as many as 26 staffers affected by lay offs, on top of the 15 to 20 let go earlier in the month. Another factor said to be contributing to staff reductions by one source was the alleged cancellation of Gearbox's Aliens project for Sega.

Aliens: Colonial Marines was announced in 2006 as one of two games using the Aliens license that would be published by Sega. The project has been relatively quiet since then, with Sega dropping details on the first-person shooter in February of 2008 and a teaser trailer sneaking out in the early Fall. The title was planned to ship at the end of 2008 for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC, but retailers are currently listing it for a mid-2009 release.

The second Aliens project, a role-playing game, is in development at Obsidian Entertainment.

According to an anonymous source, Sega has cut funding on the Colonial Marines project amid concerns that the project couldn't be delivered on time and on budget. Gearbox is said to have shifted its development focus to Borderlands, the open world sci-fi shooter it is working on for 2K Games.

We haven't confirmed any of this with Sega or Gearbox yet, but are actively attempting to do so. While it sounds suspicious that Sega would nix the game this late in development, it wouldn't be unheard of. Consider the updates on Aliens as well as Gearbox's staffing situation as rumor for now. We'll update when we hear more.

This had better be rumour, conjecture and LIES.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh, hell no. This had better be a fucking joke.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    They updated the story:
    Kotaku wrote:
    We attempted to clarify with Pitchford the status of the Aliens: Colonial Marines project. He told us that, yes, the game is still in production but couldn't provide an update on its ship date.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Why is it that games given front-cover status by GI get cursed with threats of cancellation(i.e. Ghostbusters)? Still, that's terrible if it's true.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Lork wrote: »
    They updated the story:
    Kotaku wrote:
    We attempted to clarify with Pitchford the status of the Aliens: Colonial Marines project. He told us that, yes, the game is still in production but couldn't provide an update on its ship date.

Oh thank God

I was seriously ready to be all fuckin' angry and pissed off for a second there

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I'm probably the only person that likes Alien 3 as much as I do, but it's probably because I was like, 12 when I saw it and I'd never seen an Alien movie before that.

hi5, I have the exact same situation. My family had a tape of Alien 3 and watched it during a road trip on a small tv with a power converter; I enjoyed it.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    kedinik wrote: »
    I'm probably the only person that likes Alien 3 as much as I do, but it's probably because I was like, 12 when I saw it and I'd never seen an Alien movie before that.

hi5, I have the exact same situation. My family had a tape of Alien 3 and watched it during a road trip on a small tv with a power converter; I enjoyed it.

Do you guys also have little handicap placards?

tofu on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My heart probably skipped a beat when I saw the Vader No pic. That is never a good sign in a thread for a game that I want. I'm glad it remains in production, albeit delayed. As long as it sees the light of day I'm happy.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    tofu wrote: »

Because I liked a movie with decent special effects when I was 12?

Nice post.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Nice post.

No, because you still think it's a good movie.

Oh, the follies of youth!

tofu on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    If they did in fact cancel this. Someone should redesign it using L4D's AI director! :)

Morkath on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    FFS L4D does not have an AI director. It has parameter driven spawn points. Im sick of people so over the moon about that feature. Im sure if any game only had chunks of 5 minute constrained corridors to deal with it could do what Valve did, and better.

Prohass on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Morkath wrote: »
    If they did in fact cancel this. Someone should redesign it using L4D's AI director! :)

Man fuck that noise. Endless hordes of zombies is one thing.

Endless hordes of wallcrawling two mouthed stabby tailed aliens that spray acid is where I call the fucking line.

Kelor on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Nice post.

No, because you still think it's a good movie.

Oh, the follies of youth!

It is a good movie. Go watch the director's cut. It's also good especially if you consider the development hell it went through. Yes, it shit all over the story of the second movie in it's first 10 minutes. Yes, Aliens is the greatest film man has ever, and probably will ever forge. But Alien 3 director's cut is highly watchable.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Prohass wrote: »
    FFS L4D does not have an AI director. It has parameter driven spawn points. Im sick of people so over the moon about that feature. Im sure if any game only had chunks of 5 minute constrained corridors to deal with it could do what Valve did, and better.

Go listen to the L4D commentary, its more complicated than you think.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Seriously, how much of the game have you actually played?
    Not only is that a sad oversimplification of the AI director, but it's flat out wrong.

Smashism on
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Kelor wrote: »

Endless hordes of wallcrawling two mouthed stabby tailed aliens that spray acid is where I call the fucking line.

But.... but.. we'll upgrade your shotgun to a plasma rifle or flame thrower

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

There is no AI director, you say? Like hell there isn't, you can take a map from TF2 unmodified and load it in L4D and the director does everything it would in L4D, from spawning zombies to tanks, with all the bells of whistles attached.
    skace wrote: »
    Kelor wrote: »

But.... but.. we'll upgrade your shotgun to a plasma rifle or flame thrower

Don't forget about the sentry guns and thumb size grenades.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    Guirec730Guirec730 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you guys are worried about Aliens getting cancelled, then do the only thing I know to do to show community support...email Gearbox, email Sega, and sign my petition. I drafted it to show that there are many people quite interested in playing the game and they should not put the game's future financial backing in the shoulders of an original IP (Borderlands).

You can find it here:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/aliens-must--stay-frosty/signatures.html

It's not a money thing, you just read and sign.

Please don't flag me for site whoring, I'm just trying to do my part for this game!

Guirec730 on
    Petition to Support Aliens: Colonial Marines from Cancellation
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/aliens-must--stay-frosty/index.html
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm sorry, that is the link to the signatures. The petition is here:

Guirec730 on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    An internet petition! Brilliant.
    This time it'll have to work.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Hope is the only dirty word.

Really, I hope I'm wrong, but laying off half the staff and cutting the budget of any game in this economic climate is no good.

And for a game that was slated to come out Q1 2009, there has been nary a peep of media released since the GI article.

Something is wrong, and this is all I can think to do to stop from going crazy thinking about it.

Guirec730 on
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Some of you people need to just stop worrying.

Thankyou.

"I am very excited to reveal more about that soon, Aliens: Colonial Marines is very exciting and I look forward to the right moment we can more fully unveil our efforts there and we have other incredible unannounced projects in development and a lot of opportunity for the future – a future I am increasingly excited about." --Randy Pitchford, Gearbox.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Kay wrote: »

Thankyou.

"I am very excited to reveal more about that soon, Aliens: Colonial Marines is very exciting and I look forward to the right moment we can more fully unveil our efforts there and we have other incredible unannounced projects in development and a lot of opportunity for the future – a future I am increasingly excited about." --Randy Pitchford, Gearbox.

Yes, I read all of those before I posted the petition.

I still see substantial reasoning behind being worried. Layoffs and budget cuts, not to mention slipping release dates, lead to Starcraft: Ghosts.

Guirec730 on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Guirec730 wrote: »
    Kay wrote: »

Thankyou.

Yes, I read all of those before I posted the petition.

I still see substantial reasoning behind being worried. Layoffs and budget cuts, not to mention slipping release dates, lead to Starcraft: Ghosts.
    No, Starcraft: Ghost sucking lead to Starcraft: Ghost. In fact, Ghost is the exact opposite of what is going on here, because Blizzard pumped a lot of money into a lot of dev studios to get the damn thing finished. No one managed to make anything that wasn't terrible, hence why it was eventually scaled back, then scrapped.

Gearbox, and this game by extension, would be in more trouble if they didn't focus on the product that's closer to shipping.

Calm the fuck down.

Monger on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

What the fuck are you smoking and where can I not acquire any of it.

august on