As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Aliens Colonial Marines teaser...AND I WILL TRY AGAIN TYVM

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    They're comin out of the god damn walls!

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    They're comin out of the god damn walls!

"Dietrick, sound off!

"Wierzbowski! Wierzbowski!"

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Lamoid wrote: »
    The best part of Aliens is in the deleted scenes, those sentry guns man. Sentry guns.
    Where all you can see is the electronic ammo counter going down? Good stuff.

Wow that was deleted? Wait I only ever saw the directors cut didn't I.

I have no idea what was and wasn't deleted.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The best part of Aliens is in the deleted scenes, those sentry guns man. Sentry guns.

I think the sonic electronic ball breakers part was cut too.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Bill Paxton is the only man to have gotten his shit wrecked by an Alien, a Predator AND a Terminator.

Lance Henrikssen has aswell hasn't he?

I haven't seen AvP so I don't know if he was killed in that or not.

Bishop wasn't actually killed in Aliens - they reactivate him in Alien 3.

You cant kill something that was never alive in the first place.

He gets ripped in half by the queen. I'd say that falls under the purview of 'getting his shit wrecked by an Alien'

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The best scene in the Special Edition has to be: "My name's Dwayne..."

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

Yep.

Ripley's finding out about her daughter.
    Hudson's rant on the dropship.
    The sentry guns
    Hick's name

All stuff cut in the theatrical version.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Yep.

Ripley's finding out about her daughter.
    Hudson's rant on the dropship.
    The sentry guns
    Hick's name

All stuff cut in the theatrical version.

Their loss.

*Makes out with his tin collector edition set of all the Alien movies.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I have the quadrology which is not even a word but still.

Aliens is more enjoyable to watch than Alien but I think objectively the first one is more of a polished piece of work.

The other two can go to hell. And I mean I love Finchers work but 3 is just so pointless. It was a horrible middle ground between the gothic horror of 1 and the high action of 2.

4 doesn't exist. Though Michael Wincott is a badass and they kill him off in like 10 minutes. What the fuck. Also I guess creepy alien ripley is cool. And maybe winona ryder is hot in it.

But I mean it all goes to shit when the newborn comes around. it is honestly horrendous.

Redeeming features of Alien Resurrection:

1) Ron Perlman
    2) The underwater swimming aliens scene

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I love Hicks sleeping, and the beauty of the scene is that it comes right after you find out Gorman freaks out because this is only his second non-simulated drop. Which means that even though Gorman is the commander of this mission, Hicks is his superior in experience.

Also, like Alien, love Aliens, been too long since I've seen Alien 3 to make a judgment (plan on seeing the director's cut at some point), and Alien Resurrection is tolerable but only because:

1.) Best damn CG Aliens I've ever seen.
    2.) Ron Perlman.
    3.) The underwater sequence.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It was also made by Jean Pierre-Jeunet, who went on to make Amelie.

The trailer billed it as being 'from the maker of Delicatessen and Alien:Resurrection'.

Of course, that was the foreign trailer. US ones are never that awesome.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    It was also made by Jean Pierre-Jeunet, who went on to make Amelie.

The trailer billed it as being 'from the maker of Delicatessen and Alien:Resurrection'.

Of course, that was the foreign trailer. US ones are never that awesome.

Yeah, Jeunet and Fincher are both excellent directors, but I think were both scuppered one way or another when it came to the Alien films.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The only scene that I think was right to be cut was the stuff on the colony. It was kind of cool to see that years later for me but I think it's much cooler watching the first time and being introduced to the place at the same time as the marines.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I actually kinda like the Director's Cut version of A3. It's not produced by Fincher, as I recall, but it's close to his original intent. Or so I read.

A4 is neat if you turn it off before the Newborn turns up, and just imagine that Ripley gets caught, they pile into a ship, and nuke the site from orbit.
    It's the only way to be sure.
    :winky:

Kay2 on
  • Options
    major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Darkwarrior, have you ever been confused for a man?

If I find the time to pull my massive testicles out of the way so that I can cross my legs in order to better contemplate your question, I shall respond.

WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE FINISH THIS QUOTE PROPERLY?!?

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    NO HAVE YOU

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    JESUS, THANK YOU. I mean it was just hanging there.

Although it would have been nicer if one of the original two reprobates who started it could have tied it up.

When I say 'reprobates', I mean that in the nicest possible way, of course.

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Kay wrote: »
    A4 is neat if you turn it off before the Newborn turns up, and just imagine that Ripley gets caught, they pile into a ship, and nuke the site from orbit.

Ho-ho-hold on, hold on one second. This installation has a substantial dollar value attached to it!

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I've never watched 3 & 4.

Should I bother y/n?

Also, totally loving this game already.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Bishop, Hudson's hand, and a knife = :shock: (awesome)

I know I would shit myself.

Scotty on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    major_tom wrote: »
    JESUS, THANK YOU. I mean it was just hanging there.

Although it would have been nicer if one of the original two reprobates who started it could have tied it up.

When I say 'reprobates', I mean that in the nicest possible way, of course.

Gorman you son of a bitch.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Kay wrote: »

Ho-ho-hold on, hold on one second. This installation has a substantial dollar value attached to it!

Ha! They can bill me!

Kay2 on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Screw all you - I've read the novelizations of the first two movies when I was younger. :P

So all the cut scenes weren't really new to me. Though I wish the airlock scene from the first movie had stayed in as it explains why Ripley has a nosebleed.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I liked the addition of the colony pre alien death scenes. It makes the empty abandoned version later more creepy.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey... Apone. We can't have any firing in there.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I liked the addition of the colony pre alien death scenes. It makes the empty abandoned version later more creepy.

Yeah it's good but I think that the first time you see the movie it should be the theatrical version just for the mystery.

Also it has Captain Hollister as the captain.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I have always wondered a couple things.

A - Why didn't the marines carry extra magazines for their Pulse Rifles? Once Vas and Drake start unloading with the smart guns you'd think they just say 'fuck it' and slap in an extra magazine and start firing away.

B - If they had been able to use their pulse rifles from the get-go, would they have died as horribly as they did during the first encounter?

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Apone collected the magazines from the rest of the marines, Drake and Vasquez were sort of loose cannons and didn't hand all theirs over.

Hicks being the bad ass that he is had a backup antique shotgun with him for just such an occasion.

If they had been able to keep their magazines, assuming the station didn't explode earlier then they probably would have stood a better chance then they did. They were all fairly experienced and I doubt they would have lost as many as they did so quickly if they'd been able to fight back effectively.

This was the biggest problem with AvP2. (Game)

Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to have the default Marine weapon be a goddamn pistol instead of a pulse rifle?

Kelor on
  • Options
    Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Kelor wrote: »
    Apone collected the magazines from the rest of the marines, Drake and Vasquez were sort of loose cannons and didn't hand all theirs over.

Hicks being the bad ass that he is had a backup antique shotgun with him for just such an occasion.

If they had been able to keep their magazines, assuming the station didn't explode earlier then they probably would have stood a better chance then they did. They were all fairly experienced and I doubt they would have lost as many as they did so quickly if they'd been able to fight back effectively.

Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to have the default Marine weapon be a goddamn pistol instead of a pulse rifle?

/Nerd On

Apone doesn't collect the magazines from Drake and Vasquez, he collects a piece of the power supply (not sure if it's the entire battery) that allows the smart guns to function. Without them the automatic tracking won't work; I'm not certain whether the guns can actually fire. Anyway Vasquez apparently has two extra and she and Drake plug them in.

/Nerd Off

Also I think it's pretty hard to gauge whether the marines would have incurred fewer losses if they had all had their pulse rifles. The aliens were repeatedly coming at them from unexpected angles and most of the initial losses seemed to be more of the was-looking-the-wrong-way-and-got-grabbed variety than the was-fighting-back-but-the-pistol-didn't-cut-it type. Plus if they're able to actually kill some of the aliens there you end up with a lot more acid getting sprayed around. Kind of a crap shoot I think.

Arch Guru XX on
    Should have been a rock star.
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    B Gun's Dry...

20 on A.

Goddamn if I can't WAIT for this game.

AVP Gold was and IS the scariest game I've ever played. The damn motion detector

... blip... blip... blip... BEEPEEP... BEEPEEP.

OOOH FUUUUUCK.

That, and the fucking 30 meter radius and the aliens CRAWLING ALL OVER THE GODDAMN CEILING.

Doom III Can suck a dick compared to AVP Gold.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    As long as I can be the squad Smart-Gunner I'm happy.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Who's going to be the sucker stuck holding the motion tracker and a pidly pistol?

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    devolve wrote: »
    The original script for the movie that was based on the comic book was totally bad ass, where the space marines go to eradicate an alien colony while at the same time a pack of predators go to the same colony for rites of passage. the humans fight the predators and both groups find themselves surrounded by aliens, forcing them to actually work together.

Why the fuck they dumped that script for the drivel they pumped out is beyond me.

What, AVP1? It also has strong ties to a book called Alien vs. Predator: Prey, which I enjoyed, and was thus immensely disappointed that the movie was instead a titanic clusterfuck.
    Bill Paxton is the only man to have gotten his shit wrecked by an Alien, a Predator AND a Terminator.

And that is why he is truly our lord and saviour. He has died for our sins. Repeatedly.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    AvP1 and AvP2 have, in my opinion, the best goddamn FPS multiplayer there has ever been. You've got the Colonial Marine hardasses with giant guns that blow holes in eveything from here to west Jesus, but they're all flipping out, man because they are surrounded by invisible murder machines who want to eat them. The Aliens are so goddamn fast and use the shadows so goddamn well that if the Marines aren't looking around right one alien can wipe a squad.

Then there's the Predator, who is basically a mobile Ruiner of Your Shit for both of the other factions, adding in another layer of sheer terror and drama to the whole thing.

Why the hell aren't we making this a Game On for AvP 2, again?

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh,

2 pictures while we're on Aliens shit:

This toy I have is awesome, you're so jealous:

373540223_87c75f7dfa.jpg
    It's die-cast, and about "17 long. It has a 5" APC also die cast that comes out of the loading bay. Missiles stow just like the real thing. DROOL.

Also:
    360388314_0a69bcf16a_o.jpg

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    "All right, we got seven canisters of CN-20. I say we roll them in there and nerve gas the whole fucking nest."

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Anybody remember the AVP arcade game?

God I used to play the hell out of that when I was younger. Such a good beat em up.

Etch on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Kelor wrote: »

Didn't the game start you off with a rifle? The pistol was selected at the beginning of the mission, but you could select the pulse rifle.

subedii on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Etch wrote: »
    Anybody remember the AVP arcade game?

God I used to play the hell out of that when I was younger. Such a good beat em up.

There aren't too many games where you get to suplex an alien.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Haha, I totally used the predator though in that game. Spearchuckers FTW.

altmann on

signature.png