As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Aliens Colonial Marines teaser...AND I WILL TRY AGAIN TYVM

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nuzak wrote: »
    being an alien drone and hiding on the walls

using the leap to do otherwise impossible jumps even if you gave away your position with a little roar.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This thread makes me want this game even more than I already did

Also it makes me want AvP 1 and 2 (which I never got to play)

If only they were available somewhere legitimate, I would buy them both in a fucking heartbeat

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    KuwaKuwa Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wasn't there supposed to be an Alien 5, but Fox turned it down for the AvP movie? I remember reading something about James Cameron writing it. but when he learned that Fox was working on the AvP movie, he stopped writing, believing that AvP would kill the validity of the franchise or something.

Kuwa on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah man, Bishop should go

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Since we're on an AvP high, might as well post this awesome story / anecdote from RockPaperShotgun.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2007/09/11/a-stand-up-fight-or-another-bughunt/

Heh, normally I don't go in for those NGJ-style 'gaming stories', but I had the exact same experience with that map. IIRC, you could also choose what weapon you spawned with, so I'd just stand in the wide-open starting area mowing down aliens with the smartgun until the ammo ran dry.

Then I ran down the canyon, found the bunker, started to imagine i'd 'completed' the map, and realised I'd just found a new place to die. :lol:

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Klyka wrote: »

using the leap to do otherwise impossible jumps even if you gave away your position with a little roar.

whoops went to high out the area BLAT

Nuzak on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I used to run around that bunker as a predator blowing the crap out of everything. Whenever I was anywhere close to dying you could just heal yourself with a glorious roar. Even when you ran out of harpoons you could just knife and plasma them to death.

I played predator in that map far more than marine. But I do have fond memories of smart gun madness in it.

Basically whenever anyone says "AVP" I think of that map.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

whoops went to high out the area BLAT

"What do you mean electrical fen- BZZZZZZZZZZ"

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Yeah man, Bishop should go

Believe me, I'd prefer not to. I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Watch your fingers.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Kuwa wrote: »
    Wasn't there supposed to be an Alien 5, but Fox turned it down for the AvP movie? I remember reading something about James Cameron writing it. but when he learned that Fox was working on the AvP movie, he stopped writing, believing that AvP would kill the validity of the franchise or something.

according to IMDB-

"# This film had both the shortest filming and post-production schedules of any "major studio" film in 2004; filming was given 2 1/2 months, while post-production was given just 4 months to complete."

and

"While this film languished in so-called "development hell" for years, 20th-Century Fox considered producing a fifth film in the "Alien" franchise instead. James Cameron, who wrote and directed Aliens (1986), had written a script and even approached Sigourney Weaver to star and Ridley Scott to direct, both of whom expressed interest. When the studio decided to use the Alien/Preadator crossover story instead, Cameron, Weaver and Scott all distanced themselves from the project, and later, declared they would never work on either franchise again."

and for a nice kick in the genitals

" Paul W.S. Anderson rewarded hardcore Alien and Predator fans by scattering references to the individual franchises with his film. The opening shot of the movie is a silhouette of the Alien Queen from Aliens (1986), before being completely revealed as a Weyland Satellite."

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Somebody said "alien", she thought they said "illegal alien" and signed up.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I can't believe no one has used "They mostly come out at night... mostly."

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    altmann wrote: »

Fuck you, man!

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    except they have

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    HerrCron wrote: »

Fuck you, man!

Anytime, anyplace, anywhere.
    :winky:

Kay2 on
  • Options
    zerocountzerocount Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    "Great! Why don't we put her in charge then!"

4 player co-op is totally the big selling point (very much like left 4 dead), and if they can work in a splitscreen (just 2 players, I'm not greedy), I will explode in my pants over this one.

zerocount on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    "I got a bad feeling 'bout this drop. "

"MAN you ALWAYS say that, you always say "I got a bad feelin about this drop""

"When we get home withoutcha..."

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

They're coming out of the walls, they're coming out of the goddamn walls, let's book!

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The Alien film franchise has had its problems. There are still people who are angry the original Alien 3 teaser said they were going to Earth and the actual movie had nothing to do with the aliens getting loose on Earth.

Not to mention the better, if continuity-destroying, William Gibson script for Alien 3 which got turned down in favor of the much cheaper one we got. Which while it has its merits, just doesn't feel like a worthy sequel to Aliens. A decent sequel to Alien since it has many of the same elements. I'd have split the franchise- do "Aliens 2" and "Alien 2", with action-horror and straight-up horror being the focus in each respective version.

EDIT: "MARINES! We are LEAVING!"

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Okay, okay. You guys are fucking up the quotes!

altmann:
    "I got a bad feeling about this drop."
    "You always say that, Frost, you always say 'I got a bad feeling about this drop.'"
    "Okay, okay...when we get home without you, I'll call your folks."

Phobos:
    "DRAKE! We are leaving!"

Stop fucking it up guys! Jesus.
    :P Nah, go ahead and paraphrase. It's all good.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    "...Maybe they don't show up on Infra-red at all...YGHAAAA!!!" *incinerates altmann*

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The Alien film franchise has had its problems. There are still people who are angry the original Alien 3 teaser said they were going to Earth and the actual movie had nothing to do with the aliens getting loose on Earth.

Not to mention the better, if continuity-destroying, William Gibson script for Alien 3 which got turned down in favor of the much cheaper one we got. Which while it has its merits, just doesn't feel like a worthy sequel to Aliens. A decent sequel to Alien since it has many of the same elements. I'd have split the franchise- do "Aliens 2" and "Alien 2", with action-horror and straight-up horror being the focus in each respective version.

EDIT: "MARINES! We are LEAVING!"

My biggest problem with Alien 3 was the slap in the face to James Cameron and the fans of the Second movie by killing Hicks off like a fucking Chump.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm probably the only person that likes Alien 3 as much as I do, but it's probably because I was like, 12 when I saw it and I'd never seen an Alien movie before that.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Phobos:
    "DRAKE! We are leaving!"

No, fuck you, it is "MARINES, we are LEAVING!"

Hicks says it. This is shortly after Ripley bashes in the wall of the Hive with the APC.
    My biggest problem with Alien 3 was the slap in the face to James Cameron and the fans of the Second movie by killing Hicks off like a fucking Chump.

Well, in principle, the Alien universe is hostile and uncaring so the off-screen and arbitrary death of major characters is acceptable. Hick's being dead means Ripley is isolated in a male-only prison, which is kind of key to the bleakness of Alien 3. I'd argue that it could be even more interesting, if you absolutely had to have Fury 151 as the setting, to kill off Ripley and Newt and leave Hicks alive out of pure chance- to send the message that Ripley, even if she was the main character in two movies, still has no credit with the wider universe.

Ultimately, though, Alien 3 starts off with an impossibility. There is no way eggs got on board the Sulaco. The Queen would have had to carry them up- and we don't see her with any and she doesn't really have time to lay a few and...what, throw them somewhere in the ship where they aren't spotted? I have seen the end of Aliens probably a hundred times and there just isn't a way to justify the presence of not one but two eggs on the Sulaco.

Why they didn't use the most obvious plot hook for the third movie- someone going after the Space Jockey ship, which is still on LV-426 just sitting there a more-than-Nebraska distance away from Hadley's Hope and is still chock-full of aliens. I mean, seriously, the Colonial Marines Technical Manual went with that, it's the best way to do it.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Phobos:
    "DRAKE! We are leaving!"

No, fuck you, it is "MARINES, we are LEAVING!"

Hicks says it. This is shortly after Ripley bashes in the wall of the Hive with the APC.

Well, in principle, the Alien universe is hostile and uncaring so the off-screen and arbitrary death of major characters is acceptable. Hick's being dead means Ripley is isolated in a male-only prison, which is kind of key to the bleakness of Alien 3. I'd argue that it could be even more interesting, if you absolutely had to have Fury 151 as the setting, to kill off Ripley and Newt and leave Hicks alive out of pure chance- to send the message that Ripley, even if she was the main character in two movies, still has no credit with the wider universe.

Ultimately, though, Alien 3 starts off with an impossibility. There is no way eggs got on board the Sulaco. The Queen would have had to carry them up- and we don't see her with any and she doesn't really have time to lay a few and...what, throw them somewhere in the ship where they aren't spotted? I have seen the end of Aliens probably a hundred times and there just isn't a way to justify the presence of not one but two eggs on the Sulaco.

Why they didn't use the most obvious plot hook for the third movie- someone going after the Space Jockey ship, which is still on LV-426 just sitting there a more-than-Nebraska distance away from Hadley's Hope and is still chock-full of aliens. I mean, seriously, the Colonial Marines Technical Manual went with that, it's the best way to do it.

If you're talking about the scene where Hicks is dragging one of his squad mates around to the side of the APC then the line is indeed, "Drake! We are LEAVING!"

And I agree about the fact that Alien 3 was more or less a hole with some plot dashed into it and to even begin to watch the movie you have to throw so much shit out the window. I just really don't like Alien 3.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    As far as I am concerned nothing came after Aliens. Aliens was good because it was a sequel that complimented the first one. Alien 3 is a bad sequel because it pees all over what came before then thumbs its nose at the audience and says that it's going to do whatever it wants, the hell with you.

Also I am almost completely positive that the line is "marines we are leaving."

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I am 100% positive beyond a shadow of a doubt that the line is, "Drake! We are Leaving!"

The APC crashes through the wall, Hicks is dragging someone to the side of the APC (I think it's Hudson) and Drake is hanging back with his Smart-Gun and Flamethrower. As Hicks moves closer he leans back and turns his head towards Drake and yells to him, "Drake! We are LEAVING!"

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    hudson1ug4.jpg

"How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?"

Hudson, com'ere. Come here. :x

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I am 100% positive beyond a shadow of a doubt that the line is, "Drake! We are Leaving!"

Ripley (to Burke): "Open the door! (on radio) Hicks!"
    Hicks (Carrying Hudson): "MARINES, we are leaving!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_udm8NMrKLk at the 6:00 mark.

EDIT: And I just checked the subtitles on my DVD to be sure. It's "Marines, we are leaving!"

They say "Come on Drake!" before and after that, though.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    Spiffy MageSpiffy Mage Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Know what'd be great?
    A protect a civvy mission
    Just so I can yell in co-op
    Get away from her you BITCH

Spiffy Mage on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Huh, i'll be damned. With the smart-gun fire I always thought it was Drake. Sorry about that.

After prolonged listening, I still think it sounds like Drake.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Huh, i'll be damned. With the smart-gun fire I always thought it was Drake. Sorry about that.

Sorry's not going to cut it this time.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MikeRyu wrote: »

Sorry's not going to cut it this time.

I say we grease this rat-fuck son of a bitch right now!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You don't see them fucking each other over for a God damn percentage.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Know what'd be great?
    A protect a civvy mission
    Just so I can yell in co-op
    Get away from her you BITCH

If there is co-op I'm hoping for built in VoIP.
    So much potential for awesome

"Stay frosty, people"
    "Hudson, run a bypass"

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It's Drake, not Marines.

Also:

"Yeah man but it's a dry heat!"

I say we change thread title to reflect the fact that this is now an aliens quote thread.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Its like some weird matrix of smart-gun fire, music, and the pitch of his voice while screaming.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away?

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It's Drake, not Marines.

I checked the subtitles on my DVD, dude. It's Marines. Given all the background noise it does sound kinda like Drake, but it's definitely marines.

Professor Phobos on