As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Aliens Colonial Marines teaser...AND I WILL TRY AGAIN TYVM

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    altmann wrote: »
    Haha, I totally used the predator though in that game. Spearchuckers FTW.

I think everyone did first time. IIRC I preferred the "Hunter", with his sharp stick but awesome jump-spin attack, which had him bouncing off the floor like a pinball.

subedii on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Give me battlefield style classes and a left 4 dead 4 player co-op and I'll buy this game twice.

Turn out to be Doom 3 in space and I wont.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If I can't play the alien, then not interested enough to buy the game unfortunately. After AVP1, I am WAY spoiled on how an Aliens game should work, and it should have a human campaign, a KICKASS alien campaign and multiplayer.

I might pick it up for just multiplayer if the alien is awesomely fun and playable in multiplayer.

Smudge on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    But.. there's been no hint, talk or mention of playable aliens or multiplayer. Don't do the "these are my expectations for the game, why is it not the game I expected" thing.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The wiki for this says there will be competitive multiplayer (in addition to coop) and says something about the Gloom mod for Quake II?

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Hey... Apone. We can't have any firing in there.

What the hell are we supposed to use man? Harsh language?

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The wiki for this says there will be competitive multiplayer (in addition to coop) and says something about the Gloom mod for Quake II?

Shhh, don't bring facts into this!

Still though, getting hopes up about there being a Xenomorph campaign is just asking to be let down, unless specifically confirmed by Gearbox themselves.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    altmann wrote: »
    This toy I have is awesome, you're so jealous:

373540223_87c75f7dfa.jpg
    It's die-cast, and about "17 long. It has a 5" APC also die cast that comes out of the loading bay. Missiles stow just like the real thing. DROOL.

Damn, where did you get that? That is badass.

Arch Guru XX on
    Should have been a rock star.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Also why are you buying Aliens: Colonial Marines for the deathmatch? Co-op, absolutely very yes. Picking your way through a xenomorph-infested ship or installation is one thing, and absolutely what you should be excited for. Bunnyhopping around and shooting other marines or whatever?
    There's a billion other games for that.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    Also why are you buying Aliens: Colonial Marines for the deathmatch? Co-op, absolutely very yes. Picking your way through a xenomorph-infested ship or installation is one thing, and absolutely what you should be excited for. Bunnyhopping around and shooting other marines or whatever?
    There's a billion other games for that.

Well like LibrarianThorne said, AvP1 and 2 had pretty storming multiplayer. If they allow control of the Aliens things could get very interesting for this game.

Competative multiplayer doesn't have to mean straight up deathmatch either. Could be any number of team based survival modes or objective based modes, where either the Aliens are the primary objectives in your pointscoring or else ancillary antagonists entering into the battle between two sides, shaking things up. I'm sure they can think of a few good ideas that would work quite well with the setting.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    But this isn't AvP.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    But this isn't AvP.

But we don't know the details of the multiplayer either. We can't really say "who'd buy this for the Multiplayer" without really knowing what's planned yet. Like I said, there are quite a few possibilities that are open to them with this franchise for innovative game styles. I'm genuinely looking forward to what they might come up with.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I don't really care about multi much. One alien vs a squad of marines is pretty awesome though.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I guess my point is that BioShock couldn't get out the door without people honking about how it needed multiplayer, and it'd be "so sweet to like, run around firing plasmids at each other", then you look at The Darkness which was an awesome singleplayer game, and the multiplayer there was horribly tacked on and a complete waste of Starbreeze's time. I'd much rathe Gearbox concentrate primarily on making this an awesome, atmospheric singleplayer/co-op experience, than have to worry about ticking some multiplayer box to appease those that expect it in every game.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I don't really care about multi much. One alien vs a squad of marines is pretty awesome though.

Not for the alien I'd imagine.

"OK, everyone stand still a second."

*beep*beep*beep*

"It's coming at the vent. Who's turn is it on the grenades?"

"Mine"

*BOOM*

Round End: Score: 247 to Marines. 3 to Alien

subedii on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    HerrCron wrote: »
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Hey... Apone. We can't have any firing in there.

What the hell are we supposed to use man? Harsh language?

I like to keep this handy...*chk-chk*...for close encounters.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    subedii wrote: »

*beep*beep*beep*

"Mine"

*BOOM*

Obviously you've never played Aliens Vs. Predator on PC.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

*beep*beep*beep*

"Mine"

*BOOM*

Typical multiplayer game, Several Marines vs 1 alien:

You're walking, it's dark as shit, and your motion tracker beeps once. By then, it's too late. Face rape ahoy, captain. God help you if it's from behind.

Even worse- Predator - you'll see a faint laser play over the screen, and then you're dead. Being a marine is a tough fucking thing. Thankfully, Smart Guns help a whole fucking bunch.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    3lwap0 wrote: »

*beep*beep*beep*

"Mine"

*BOOM*

Typical multiplayer game, Several Marines vs 1 alien:

You're walking, it's dark as shit, and your motion tracker beeps once. By then, it's too late. Face rape ahoy, captain. God help you if it's from behind.

Even worse- Predator - you'll see a faint laser play over the screen, and then you're dead. Being a marine is a tough fucking thing. Thankfully, Smart Guns help a whole fucking bunch.

I always played the team modes to be honest. I do agree that being a marine is a tough thing, largely because I kept dying within the first three seconds. :x

subedii on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It's even more stressful when you realize that if one of your dudes dies, that's not just one less dude who has your back, but also one more alien who can bite your head off.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    But.. there's been no hint, talk or mention of playable aliens or multiplayer. Don't do the "these are my expectations for the game, why is it not the game I expected" thing.

I won't be dissapointed by the game if it does not have fun alien play in it. I just won't play or buy it if it does not. I am just saying that I would be interested in a game where I could play the alien, but have no interest in a game where I play a marine killing the aliens.

To me, playing a game as the alien with good wall/ceiling run isn't even in the same genre as playing yet another game where you are a human with a gun who shoots aliens. Even if it is the ORIGINAL human+gun+shoot alien and they are some of the best aliens, I am just not that interested in that at this time.

Like in AVP1, I never played the human or the predator part, and the game was well worth the money. I brought AVP2 back because I didn't like the alien part.

Smudge on
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I picked up this a couple years back from a sale for £49.99. There were only 3 left when I first saw them. Went back later in the day and nabbed the last one.

AlienHeadPic.jpg

It looks awesome next to my:

41X46WCYVML._SL500_AA280_.jpg

That's a head knocker btw.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Arrath on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I loved Aliens vs Predator 2 when you play multiplayer with "alien lifecycle" enabled.

You start as a face hugger, kill a marine/predator, become a chestburster and then grow into whatever alien class you chose.

It was great.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Klyka wrote: »
    I loved Aliens vs Predator 2 when you play multiplayer with "alien lifecycle" enabled.

You start as a face hugger, kill a marine/predator, become a chestburster and then grow into whatever alien class you chose.

It was great.

kill 5 people and OH SHIT A FUCKING QUEEN RUN FOR THE TUNNELS

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Nuzak wrote: »

It was great.

The queen was so fucking amazing.

Now I want to play this game again.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I never could get the alien to go into frenzy mode in AVP: Gold.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

It was great.

three times bigger than a marine, at least as fast

easier to take down than they looked but shit just seeing one of them charging at you made you just drop your minigun and run

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

It was great.

easier to take down than they looked but shit just seeing one of them charging at you made you just drop your minigun and run

Wasn't there also a really loud and really awesome sounding roar when you became a queen?
    Cause I kinda remember that and how everyone shit their pants when they heard it.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008

It was great.

Wasn't there also a really loud and really awesome sounding roar when you became a queen?
    Cause I kinda remember that and how everyone shit their pants when they heard it.

and an announcment

and a 10 foor tall black monster coming down the hall

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

It was great.

and an announcment

and a 10 foor tall black monster coming down the hall

the fantastic thing about the queen was that every marine would focus fire on her. She could take a beating but she did go down fast to a group of marines just unloading into her.

The beauty of that though?

All the normal aliens are still running around eating the queen-focussed marines.
    So you had a 10feet tall beast in front and a smaller beast in the back.

And of course a brown beast in your pants.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    They should make a new version of the AvP games. It just sounds so awesome. I'm just imagining moving with my squad of marines, then looking away for a quick second, then looking back and someone disappeared. Or watching my squad being picked off one by one, until I'm the only one left.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    Spiffy MageSpiffy Mage Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This thread makes me want to play the AVP games so much.
    But I dont have them D:

I don't suppose they're available for purchase online via a steam like source?

Spiffy Mage on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I guess my point is that BioShock couldn't get out the door without people honking about how it needed multiplayer, and it'd be "so sweet to like, run around firing plasmids at each other", then you look at The Darkness which was an awesome singleplayer game, and the multiplayer there was horribly tacked on and a complete waste of Starbreeze's time. I'd much rathe Gearbox concentrate primarily on making this an awesome, atmospheric singleplayer/co-op experience, than have to worry about ticking some multiplayer box to appease those that expect it in every game.

Normally, I'd agree with you. I generally think that if you're not going to focus on multiplayer, leave it out, because there will always be better choices out there.

However, both AvP 1 and 2 have awesome multiplayer. The inclusion of the alien already makes it much more interesting than any random deathmatch game, since the structure of the game becomes entirely different. Hell, you can have atmosphere in a multiplayer game. There is a precedent set here, and they don't even have to put a lot of effort into anything other than the level design, since it has to accomodate both sides.

I mean, I'm actually looking forward to the prospect of aliens vs. humans in this game, and I'm the first to cry foul against tacked-on multiplayer.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man you guys make me want to play AvP so bad, but I don't have it anymore, not like it ran on my machine with it hating XP and all. Maybe Steam will get it and we can game awn!

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I had forgotten about the queen mode in multiplayer. Also power loaders for the marines.

I loved being a runner alien and just racing around levels.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    being an alien drone and hiding on the walls

Nuzak on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I remember the original AvP, having to connect to my buddies IP address over dial-up, and facing wave after wave of oncoming aliens and predators while shacked up in that bunker. Such good times.

I don't know what I did with all of those games...I think my mother probably chucked them when I moved out to college.

Boo.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Since we're on an AvP high, might as well post this awesome story / anecdote from RockPaperShotgun.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2007/09/11/a-stand-up-fight-or-another-bughunt/

subedii on