As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Shammy chat!

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Akira wrote: »
    Even though it would destroy balance and make no lore sense, letting Shaman wear plate would get rid of all the itemization problems. Enhance basically wants the same gear as DPS warriors (and ret too now I believe), and the healing gear can then apply to both resto and holy.

Enhancement shaman put out so much DPS threat that if one could wear plate they would become a viable tank.

With the advent of death knights, five tanking classes is pushing it.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I doubt Rogues/Warriors would be too happy if Shamans had plate either.

815165 on
  • Options
    frylockedfrylocked Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So I just respecced my pvp elemental shaman to 41/9/11.
    This gives me Totem of Wrath, Instant Ghostwolf, reduced GT.
    I lose 2 crit, NS, and I have to remember to keep my totem up.

I play on a 2345 MOONKIN team. I love it so far, as the new flavor of the month is melee zerg teams (Warrior, enh Shaman, Rogue). Also it synergies very well with moonkins, as we get a total of +8% crit, which helps our pally keep a ton of mana.

I get a BOF from the pally and kite the shit out of things in Ghostwolf. I am still able to provide totems, shocks and dispels, all the while keeping 2-3 of their melee dps kited. It is very much an improvement over just sitting there and dieing to melee.

In BGs, it is even sweeter, I can be a very good flag carrier with support (I have 12k armor in travel form, vs the Druid's 4k) as well as some neat burst damage for that solo chaser. I spend a lot of time travel forming away from people, then turning around and destroying them after they get ADHD.

frylocked on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Cyclone Gauntlets or Felfury Gauntlets?

The T4 stuff for enhancement just doesn't seem that attractive.

Bigity on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    maybe spend your tier 4 on a healing/elemental set then

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Say, I could use some advice. I've got a Lv70 Enhance-Shaman that finally earned his wings but hasn't done much in the way of instances sadly when it comes to Outland. So most of my gear tends to be quest-rewards. Here's a look at what I got right now.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Stormrage&n=Owenashi

Now I heard that 2.4 brought in armor-sets, the pieces scattered among certain groups in Outland and buyable once you hit Honored with them. This set in particular caught my eye.

http://thottbot.com/?set=748

I'm just not 100% sure if I should spend the time and money needed to collect them all. What do you guys think?

Owenashi on
  • Options
    mirarantmirarant Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yes you should as your current gear is quite horrible and the blue pvp set is fairly decent. Oh yeah you really need to get new weapons, aim for 2.6 speed on both hands even greens are better than your current ones.

If you're interested in developing your character the Elitist Jerks enhancement shaman thread is an excellent read on how to choose your gear and advice on how to play.

mirarant on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    mirarant wrote: »
    Yes you should as your current gear is quite horrible and the blue pvp set is fairly decent. Oh yeah you really need to get new weapons, aim for 2.6 speed on both hands even greens are better than your current ones.

If you're interested in developing your character the Elitist Jerks enhancement shaman thread is an excellent read on how to choose your gear and advice on how to play.

I'm looking through it right now, though it's HUGE at 337 pages worth of posts. Thanks for the tip though. :)

By the by, what's the general consensus on which side in Shattrath is best for (enhancement) Shamans?

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The Aldorks have a tunnel straight into Nagrand, the Cryers have an elevator that doesn't actively conspire to murder you.

In my opinion neither is anything special, take a look at their faction recipies and shoulder enchants and decide which are better.

To help you decide you should focus on the EJ enhancement thread's first post and Yo!'s excellent enhancement shaman simulator that allows you to weigh the importance of stats based on your current gear.

For example: you plug in your ap, crit etc. into Yo!'s simulator and it spits out str 2.0, crit 2.2 plus values for other offensive stats. That means that between two different items:

Item 1
    +10 str
    +20 crit
    total: 10 * 2.0 + 20 * 2.2 = 64

Item 2
    +20 str
    +10 crit
    total: 20 * 2.0 + 10 * 2.2 = 62

In conclusion Item 1 is slightly better. Please note that the above are simply quick and dirty examples.

mirarant on
  • Options
    Jason036Jason036 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    frylocked wrote: »
    I play on a 2345 MOONKIN team......and kite the shit out of things in Ghostwolf.
    Honestly, I don't believe you. I have a hard time believing both of these items. Post your teams Armory link so I can look at it. Having a moonkin on a 2300+ rated 3v3 is hard enough to believe, but kiting teams that are 2300+ as a shaman is a little far fetched. I tried the instant ghost wolf and it's really not that viable. A ham string or poison and a rogue or warrior can easily catch up to us and stun us. You are either playing really stupid 2300+ teams or your not explaining your tactic properly.

Jason036 on
    Jason036
  • Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Jason036 wrote: »
    frylocked wrote: »
    I play on a 2345 MOONKIN team......and kite the shit out of things in Ghostwolf.
    Honestly, I don't believe you. I have a hard time believing both of these items. Post your teams Armory link so I can look at it. Having a moonkin on a 2300+ rated 3v3 is hard enough to believe, but kiting teams that are 2300+ as a shaman is a little far fetched. I tried the instant ghost wolf and it's really not that viable. A ham string or poison and a rogue or warrior can easily catch up to us and stun us. You are either playing really stupid 2300+ teams or your not explaining your tactic properly.

2345 is not his rating. :P

Otherwise, 100% agree.

Axon on
  • Options
    frylockedfrylocked Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    234x means warrior, elemental shaman, holy pally, disc priest + one other magical dps.

Classic 2345 means mage.
    2346 means warlock
    2347 means or 2345 with moonkin means it is a moonkin.

The strategy is to purge two targets down, force the other team to use defensive cooldowns (trinkets, PS, bubble, bop) and do a quick switch to the secondary target and burst them before they have a chance to react. The name is derived from someone saying that winning is as easy for the shaman to press 2 (bloodlust) 3 (elemental mastery) 4 (Nature Swiftness) 5 (chain lightning).

And yes I do kite things with BOF (blessing of freedom) poison cleanse and earthbind.

We just got to 1850, I dinged 70 at the very start of the season, so I am still the weak point on the team (most of the others have their 2k shoulders for example.)

It is Tory from Gorefiend.

Sorry for the esoteric language, I am used to reading forums with arena people that know what 2345 means.

frylocked on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Thanks for the clarification. The tactic you gave earlier is still viable in your rating bracket. I'm not sure the ghost wolf trick will work in the higher brackets as your DPS is crucial to your success with your class make-up.

I'm a resto shaman and I don't find the instant ghost wolf helps in 5v5s since you can't heal in ghost wolf. It does help in 2v2 and 3v3 sometimes though, but I honestly rather be purging targets than running from them.

Jason036 on
    Jason036
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Those bastards took away my 55% speed ghost wolf. Ah well, respecced 0/7/54, as opposed to 8/0/53, 40% and instant might be more useful then 55% and and 3 seconds.

dojango on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    dojango wrote: »
    Those bastards took away my 55% speed ghost wolf. Ah well, respecced 0/7/54, as opposed to 8/0/53, 40% and instant might be more useful then 55% and and 3 seconds.

Um, Ghost Wolf has always been 40%. Unless you're talking about some speed-enchant that doesn't work now when you transform.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There was an old PvP boot bonus that gave extra speed to travel form, but as far as I know they haven't gotten rid of it.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It no longer applies to characters above level 60, which I'm assuming is what dojango was referring to.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Some guildies and I had these, the old pvp boots from the honor-rank grinding days. Not particularly useful anymore, but it was a neat toy to have. And then it got taken away...

dojango on
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So I'm back in to WoW again. Moved my shaman over to a server that some of the vent people play on. I love all the Daily Quests and the Sunwell area. Some of the newest shaman changes are nice. I have a weird spec I think, but I think it might work out well. I plan on sticking with Enhanced for as long as I can. I would much enjoy being the Raid Enhance Shaman for my guild. Also, our guild has the best guild name ever ;)

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So I'm back in to WoW again. Moved my shaman over to a server that some of the vent people play on. I love all the Daily Quests and the Sunwell area. Some of the newest shaman changes are nice. I have a weird spec I think, but I think it might work out well. I plan on sticking with Enhanced for as long as I can. I would much enjoy being the Raid Enhance Shaman for my guild. Also, our guild has the best guild name ever ;)

haha.

Two Gruuls One Cup

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Lots of enhancement stuff, please.

mirarant on
  • Options
    TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, Shield Specialization. With 2handers not requiring a talent anymore, this talent looks ripe for replacement in WotLK. Any idea what it might be? Obviously Blizzard hasn't said anything, this is a call for idle speculation.

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ancestral Fortitude: Increases your maximum Health by 1/2/3/4/5%

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Anything that breaks Stun, please. You don't want me to beg, do you ?

Fairchild on
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    To be honest, I'd rather they fix Ancestral Knowledge. Perhaps by including a 1-5% health buff in the mix, then it wouldn't be a huge piece of shit. Shield Specialization at least has a use, for pvp in arenas for instance. Ancestral Knowledge is just garbage.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Anything that breaks Stun, please. You don't want me to beg, do you ?
    They ain't gonna put that as a Tier 1 talent, I guarantee

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    mirarant wrote: »

Lots of enhancement stuff, please.
    damn, thats a pretty informative thread right there. I just got Pawn, and it seems really useful. I still need to figure it out though.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So I'm leveling up a shammy right now and I've been going enhance as it seems to be the easiest spec to level with but I want to eventually respec to resto, how long should I wait?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    'Til you hit 70. If you do plan to go to restoration, bear that in mind as you choose quest rewards.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    So I'm leveling up a shammy right now and I've been going enhance as it seems to be the easiest spec to level with but I want to eventually respec to resto, how long should I wait?
    One thing I would also suggest is to stick with enhance until you need to go resto. Doing anything other then BGs, Arenas, or Instances is awfully slow and annoying as resto. The best idea is to stick with enhance and pick up healing gear as you get it. With all the dailys at 70 you can easily make back the cost of a respec.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Litejedi wrote: »
    To be honest, I'd rather they fix Ancestral Knowledge. Perhaps by including a 1-5% health buff in the mix, then it wouldn't be a huge piece of shit. Shield Specialization at least has a use, for pvp in arenas for instance. Ancestral Knowledge is just garbage.

Hmm, a blocked hit can't be a crit, right? forgot about that, maybe I ought to pick up shield spec instead.

dojango on
  • Options
    Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Blocked hit can crit, it can't crush.

Edit: Also that win-trading thing is horrible.

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Blocked hit can crit, it can't crush.

Edit: Also that win-trading thing is horrible.

Ah, nuts. Thought it was a "one roll" system? Ah well.

And yeah, I agree, very lame. But then, its not like real arena fights are terribly long, either, I don't see why they would bother win trading. I mean, if everybody commits to the plan (classic prisoner's dilemma case), best record you end up with is 5-5, right?

dojango on
  • Options
    Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If it's one roll, then crits have priority. I want to say they can't though, I remember seeing crits with low damage because of blocks.

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    One thing I would also suggest is to stick with enhance until you need to go resto. Doing anything other then BGs, Arenas, or Instances is awfully slow and annoying as resto. The best idea is to stick with enhance and pick up healing gear as you get it. With all the dailys at 70 you can easily make back the cost of a respec.

Hrmm, what about elemental? How do those level? There would be a lot more crossover between gear that way as well.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Hrmm, what about elemental? How do those level? There would be a lot more crossover between gear that way as well.

Elemental gets pretty good once you get some Outlands spell damage gear in your 58-60s. Before that Enhancement is much better, though.

reVerse on
  • Options
    LaurlunaLaurluna Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If it's one roll, then crits have priority. I want to say they can't though, I remember seeing crits with low damage because of blocks.

Blessed Life Proc + block from Redoubt being up + Resilience gear + 19k armor from Priest heal crit = Mortal Strike crits you for 159.

I need to find that screen shot.

Laurluna on
    Being casually elitist in WoW since 2005.
    First Blood 85 Priest 80 Mage 85 Paladin 83 Druid 80 DK 85 Huntard 85 Shaman
    "Tardo Wan" sounds like a Jedi that required 436 years to train and then killed himself by looking into his lightsaber while turning it on."
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Elemental is very viable. I was elemental from 30-70 and then I switched to restoration. I would stick to the elemental or enhancement quest rewards until you get into Shadowmoon Valley and Netherstorm. Once you get there, you'll want to pick the restoration blues if you plan to go restoration after you hit 70. You can honestly heal in non-heroic 5-man dungeons if you are spec'ed resto and have crap gear, you'll just drink alot. The level 70 5-mans drop some decent resto gear, so you can get your guy geared up that way too.

Tanking and healing classes are the hardest to gear up now since DPS can just farm gladiator gear. Healers can't because they need the MP5 and Spirit that PvE gear has, not to mention the +healing is better on PvE items.

Jason036 on
    Jason036
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You could always stay enhancement or elemental to farm up the good healing gear before actually respec'ing and changing your more dedicated role. Then again, with elemental you can pick up the healing gear anyway and benefit from the totally awesome 1/3 damage you can from the healing part of gear! <.<

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

crits can't be blocks

crits are pushed off the attack table before crushes

an uncrushable tank is also uncrittable, provided they are able to keep holy shield/shield block up

so you could theoretically tank a slow-hitting boss as a paladin tank while uncrushable and not have 490 defense and still not be crit.

Dhalphir on
This discussion has been closed.