As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Shammy chat!

• Options
    LaurlunaLaurluna Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I highly doubt they'll give Shaman the ability to remove Curses

Laurluna on
    Being casually elitist in WoW since 2005.
    First Blood 85 Priest 80 Mage 85 Paladin 83 Druid 80 DK 85 Huntard 85 Shaman
    "Tardo Wan" sounds like a Jedi that required 436 years to train and then killed himself by looking into his lightsaber while turning it on."
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    It's a talent that's moderately deep in Resto. Seems reasonable.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    It's a talent that's moderately deep in Resto. Seems reasonable.

My Paladin better get an Offensive Dispel then

Laurluna on
    "Tardo Wan" sounds like a Jedi that required 436 years to train and then killed himself by looking into his lightsaber while turning it on."
  • Options
    TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    From source. Comes with all the "this is a second-hand leak from the alpha, subject to change..." and usual disclaimers.

Enhancement:
    Enhancing Totems - Moved to Tier 0
    Improved Lightning Shield - Moved to Tier 0, increases Earth Shield/Water Shield effect by 5%
    Astral Knowledge - Now 3 Points - 2% Intellect Per Point
    Shield Spec - Now 2 points, same effect
    Guardian Totems - No change
    Thundering Strikes - No change
    Imp. Ghost Wolf - No change
    Mental Dexterity - Increases AP by 33%/66%/100% of Intellect (Bloodlust icon, tier 2)
    Shamanistic Focus - No change
    Anticipation - No change
    Flurry - No change
    Toughness - No change
    Improved Weapon Totems - No change
    Spirit Weapons - No change
    Elemental Weapons - No change
    Mental Quickness - No change
    Weapon Mastery - No change
    Duel Wield Spec - No change
    Duel Wield - No change
    Stormstrike - No change
    Improved Stormstrike - Increases the amount of Stormstrike charges by 1/2, and reduces the cooldown by 1/2 seconds.
    Unleashed Rage - No change
    Static Shock - 3 points - You have a 2%/4%/6% chance to hit your target with a lightning shield orb charge when you do damage, and increases your number of charges of your lightning shields by 1/2/3.
    Shamanistic Rage - No change
    Improved Shamanistic Rage - 2 points - When under the effects of Shamanistic Rage, you have a 50%/100% chance to be cause you to be immune to all stun, snare, and movement impairing effects.
    Weapon Specialization -
    Axe - Increases the critical strike damage bonus by 5%/10%/15%/20%/25%.
    Mace - Has a 1%/2%/3%/4%/5% chance to increase your melee haste by 10% for 15 seconds.
    First - Attacks from your fist weapons have a 1%/2%/3%/4%/5% chance to reduce the armor of your target by 20% for 6 seconds.

Elemental:
    Earth's Grasp - Moved to Tier 0
    Convection - Now 3 points - 4%/8%/12% (Not too sure on the last 2)
    Concussion - Includes Lava Burst and Thunder
    Call of Flame - Increase Lava Burst by 2%/4%/6%
    Elemental Warding - No change
    Elemental Devastation - Now on Tier 1
    Call of Thunder - Includes Thunder
    Elemental Focus - Now includes lesser healing wave and healing wave (zomfg!!!)
    Reverberation - No change
    Improved Fire Nova totem - 50%/100% chance to stun for 2 seconds
    Eye of the Storm - No change
    Unrelenting Storm - No change
    Elemental Fury - No change
    Storm Reach - 10%/20% radius on Thunder
    Elemental Precision - No Change
    Lightning Mastery - No change
    Elemental Mastery - No change
    Elemental Shields - No change
    Lightning Overload - No change
    Elemental Oath - (35 points in elemental) Needs Elemental Mastery - Spell hit is increased by 50%/100% while elemental mastery or elemental focus is active.
    Astral Shift - (40 points in elemental) 3 points - When you are critically hit twice in a row, you have a 33%/66%/100% chance to shift into the atral plane, causing you to be immune to all physical damage for 3 seconds. This effect has a 30 second cooldown.
    Totem of Wrath - No change
    Lava Flow - (40 points in elemental) 3 points - Increase the amount of spell damage gained while having flametongue weapon equipped by 5%/10%/15% and increases the damage done by your flame shock and lava burst by 4%/8%/12%
    Storm, Earth, and Fire - (45 Points in elemental) 5 points - Your frost shock has a 5%/10%/15%/20%/25% chance to root the target in frozen ice for 2 seconds, your earthshocks range is increased by 1/2/3/4/5 yards, and your periodic damage done by flame shock is increased by 20%/40%/60%/80%/100%.

Resto
    Cleanse Spirit - Requires Purification - 186 mana - 40 yd range - cleanse the spirit of a friendly target, removing 1 poison effect, 1 disease, and 1 curse effect.
    Mana Tide Totem - No change
    Nature's Guardian - No change
    Blessing of the Eternals (35 points in Restoration) - 2 points - Increases the critical effect chance of your spells by 2%/4% and increases the bonus healing from your Earthliving Weapon by 5%/10%.
    Improved Chain Heal - No change
    Nature's Blessing - No change
    Ancestral Awakening - Requires 40 Points - 3 points - When you critically heal with your healing wave or lesser healing wave, you summon an ancestral spirit to aid you, instantly healing the lowest target within 40yds for 20%/40%/60% of the amount healed.
    Earth Shield - No change
    Improved Earth Shield - 2 Points - (40 points in resto) - Increases charges by 1/2, and amount healed by 5%/10%
    Tidal Waves - 5 points (45 points in resto) - Increases the critical effect chance of your lesser healing wave and healing wave spells by 1%/2%/3%/4%/5% and your healing wave and lesser healing wave spells gain an additional 5%/10%/15%/20%/25% of your bonus healing effects.

I'm disappointed but not surprised that Shield Spec is still there but at reduced cost -- like Wand Spec for mages, Blizzard is slow to admit talents just shouldn't exist. Mental Dexterity is a bit odd but the kind of talent I was expecting to see more of. Static Shock is interesting, Blizzard definitely seems committed to making Lightning Shield viable.

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
  • Options
    KartanKartan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Also, flametounge aparently gives +spelldamage. EJ thinks this might herald the end of dual WF in favor of WF MH /FT OH. plus, Elemental (?) Shamans get a skill that consumes Flameshock on the target to gurantee a crit. One poster joked that T7 Enhancement gear better have footpads on the shoulders to carry the elemental shaman around...

Kartan on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    There's also a shaman weapon imbue that adds +healing now.

Earthliving Weapon Rank 1 Imbue the Shaman's weapon with earthen life. Increases healing done by $51940$s2 and each heal has a 20% chance to proc Earthliving on the target, healing an additional $51940s1 over $51940d. Lasts 30 minutes.

TheEmerged on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    Talent Calc

It's on War Tools, which has been deleting them. So don't get too attached.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There's also been some talk about a Frostbite weapon imbue, which apparently deals frost damage and slows the target's movement on every hit. However, this just seems like an updated Frostbrand, so I'm not sure if it's for real or not. It'd be pretty nice for PvP it if were real.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Damn, can't get Lava Flow (3), Thunder, and full Tidal Mastery.

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    nourishnourish Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    "Shield Spec - Now 2 points, same effect"

Since they kept it, moved it to tier 1 and made it cheap, maybe the intent is that it actually be used by elemental shaman for "lol-offtank" purposes. Elemental can't be crit by mobs from talents, and when the alpha was first released posters looking at the warrior talents were speculating that crushing blows might not be as much an issue in wotlk.

Or, maybe they can't admit shield spec is a wasted talent since elemental and enhance both have threat reducing talents. :/

nourish on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Shield Spec was already a first-tiered talent? Improved Lightning Shield is the one they moved from "Req 5" to the first tier.

TheEmerged on
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The only thing I really don't like about the talent changes is how it seems Elemental is clearly more PVP based then Enhancement. I kind of wish "Storm, Earth, and Fire" was at a lower tier so that enhancement shaman could use it. Also, I really don't know about Spirit Wolfs... I would have to see how they work before I make any judgments. I kind of hope they kick extreme ass. I would like them to be viable for raiding and PVP. Right now the "pets" that we do get are awful. You can't use them in a raid/heroic/5man because they get one shotted, and you can't control them. There's rumor that shamans get a Wind Elemental that lasts "until dismissed" I'm hoping the other elementals get changed that way too.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You'll be able to have the wolves up 25% of the time, so that ability is either going to cost alot of mana or wont be that awesome, I think.

I'm totally psyched to release the hounds onto some dudes though!

815165 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Am I the only one that likes the elemental totems? They've saved my ass so many times when soloing and when used correctly the Fire elemental has been a fair enough AoE to help boost a group that's falling behind. Now obviously they aren't so good in raids but I wouldn't expect them to be on par with a player AoE (Barring Ilhoof where they do great AoE and last a fair while when the main AoE goes down, seen that save a raid a couple of times before).

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The earth elemental is pretty much an improved Stoneclaw totem outside of soloing. It usually lasts ~5 seconds or less in raids/instances since most healers won't heal it(or don't even have time to). The fire ele is fun in pvp....dunno what it is but people freak and then forget to target the totem and kill it instead of the elemental.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    The earth elemental is pretty much an improved Stoneclaw totem outside of soloing. It usually lasts ~5 seconds or less in raids/instances since most healers won't heal it(or don't even have time to). The fire ele is fun in pvp....dunno what it is but people freak and then forget to target the totem and kill it instead of the elemental.

I love those things on the poison elems right after HWL Naj. All the Shamans pop them(3-4), and we just AoE/Fear Bomb/Silence the crapp outta' everything. Spam heals on the giant rock dude!!

Laurluna on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The only thing I really don't like about the talent changes is how it seems Elemental is clearly more PVP based then Enhancement. I kind of wish "Storm, Earth, and Fire" was at a lower tier so that enhancement shaman could use it. Also, I really don't know about Spirit Wolfs... I would have to see how they work before I make any judgments. I kind of hope they kick extreme ass. I would like them to be viable for raiding and PVP. Right now the "pets" that we do get are awful. You can't use them in a raid/heroic/5man because they get one shotted, and you can't control them. There's rumor that shamans get a Wind Elemental that lasts "until dismissed" I'm hoping the other elementals get changed that way too.

I don't see why you'd say enhancement won't be as viable in pvp
    Improved Shamanistic Rage - 2 points - When under the effects of Shamanistic Rage, you have a 50%/100% chance to be cause you to be immune to all stun, snare, and movement impairing effects.

means you're pretty much, unkitable, and you'll be running towards someone as a ghostwolf. Not alot is going to get away from you.

Plus, Hex is out

hexnw5.jpg

which looks itself to be a pretty nasty snare.

Sidenote; I love my elementals. Earth elemental is nice for those outdoor quests you want to do with guild mates when no tank is about, while the Fire elemental has helped me enormously with group quests I couldn't have done on my own. In an ideal world I'd like them on a shorter cooldown, but then it's obvious from the 20 min cooldown, Blizz don't want them being used in the arena.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Poketpixie wrote: »

Earth Elemental actually helped me on a Heroic Mr T during Kael. It was during the bubble phase when everyone but me died to bubbles. I land, run to Kael, drop an earth elemental, and he whacks away at him while I'm in the air healing myself and shooting a lightning bolt when I can. He turned a 2000000 minute fight into a 2 minute fight (His damage was shit, and Fire Elemental was already down. It's such a strong totem in that fight)

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hex is more than just a snare...its a sheep for shamans, only that its a squirrel. But am i reading that right, there is no duration on it?

Kartan on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kartan wrote: »
    Hex is more than just a snare...its a sheep for shamans, only that its a squirrel. But am i reading that right, there is no duration on it?

The way I'm reading it, is that it's a 75% movement reduction and you can't do anything if you move; however, if you stand still, you are still able to do stuff.

Of course I could be misunderstanding the text, or the text itself could be wrong.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    Kartan wrote: »

The way I'm reading it, is that it's a 75% movement reduction and you can't do anything if you move; however, if you stand still, you are still able to do stuff.

Of course I could be misunderstanding the text, or the text itself could be wrong.

You are transformed into a critter.

Kartan on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    RE: Hex it reads exactly like Polymorph "While wandering, the sheep cannot attack or cast spells..." so it's not just a snare and you are reading it wrong.
    815165 wrote: »
    You'll be able to have the wolves up 25% of the time, so that ability is either going to cost alot of mana or wont be that awesome, I think.

I'm totally psyched to release the hounds onto some dudes though!

Uhhh, Water Elemental is up like 32% of the time with the new talents and it's pretty fucking kickass so your logic isn't exactly sound. Also, it costs 12% of base mana which isn't a lot.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You know those mobs in ZF and ST that turn you into frogs? Yeah, that's what shaman are getting... You know how when you get frogged, the mobs still run around beating on you? Yeah... You'll be able to attack whichever player you frogged.

Though I'm sure all the mages will QQ a massive stream of tears about their polymorph being underpowered, and then blizz will nerf the shit out of it.

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    These changes look pretty cool, and they're enticing me to start playing again. That's what expansions are for, right?

Anyway, do you think the wolves will work just like the treants or what? I'd like to think they could have some utility to them, somewhere.

Toothy on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hex has now insured that I will get Wrath. I've been wanting some form of legit CC on my Shaman for a long time.

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I think you are reading in too much on the Hex description.

>> Transforms the enemy into a random critter, reducing the target's movement speed by 75%.

This line just says the target is slowed down and looks different.

>> While moving, the hexed target cannot attack or cast spells.

The spell does not force the target to move around.

Compare this to polymorph:

> Transforms the enemy into a sheep, forcing it to wander for up to 50 sec. While wander, the sheep cannot attack or cast spells but will regenerate very quickly.

Hex is not uber-sheep and is weaker than sheep as a cc. The target can cast, bandage, shoot a bow, etc. It still sounds like a great snare.

There is a precedent for my reading of the hex spell text... the gnomish poultryizer. Chickens can't cast but can move and melee.

It does seem strange that the hex screenshot is missing a line about lasting up to 'x' seconds though.

nourish on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    nourish wrote: »
    I think you are reading in too much on the Hex description.

>> Transforms the enemy into a random critter, reducing the target's movement speed by 75%.

This line just says the target is slowed down and looks different.

>> While moving, the hexed target cannot attack or cast spells.

The spell does not force the target to move around.

Compare this to polymorph:

> Transforms the enemy into a sheep, forcing it to wander for up to 50 sec. While wander, the sheep cannot attack or cast spells but will regenerate very quickly.

Hex is not uber-sheep and is weaker than sheep as a cc. The target can cast, bandage, shoot a bow, etc. It still sounds like a great snare.

There is a precedent for my reading of the hex spell text... the gnomish poultryizer. Chickens can't cast but can move and melee.

It does seem strange that the hex screenshot is missing a line about lasting up to 'x' seconds though.

You're the one reading too much into it. It's alpha, they wing the descriptions a bit, it matches up to the polymorph description enough. You're not going to get turned into a critter and bandage/shoot/cast spells etc. It's not logically consistent. Especially since it has 1 minute cooldown, I guarantee you are wrong. Also notice how the section where it says "FORCES you to wander" is the part with the length description in Polymorph, the Hex description has no length in the description yet (alpha).

EDIT: In fact http://vimeo.com/1190132 he mouses over the tooltip: Cannot attack or cast spells. Movement speed reduced by 95% clearly there is inconsistency in the description.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    That video wasn't out when I posted, or not linked from the alpha wiki website when I was reading up before my entry above.

Guess I was wrong.

But as an aside to Mgcw, I that you are overstating about actions while hexed not being logically consistent. Wowhead says that people who are poultryized by the engineering trinket can still melee, as a chicken. I've never been hit with that, but they have a few comments saying it works that way.

nourish on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Melee makes sense, an animal casting frostbolts or shooting a bow etc. is absolutely inconsistent within the game.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Mgcw wrote: »
    Melee makes sense, an animal casting frostbolts or shooting a bow etc. is absolutely inconsistent within the game.

Must... avoid... cow... joke...

TheEmerged on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Ugh, should have said critter! Thanks for resisting :D

Mgcw on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, I know shamans want two slow weapons for DW, but I just had a Flurry Axe drop, would that be a decent weapon for lvling in the 40's (where my shaman happens to be) I know it's fast as hell, but with that nice proc, stacking it with WF wouldn't that be good damage also?

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    EWom wrote: »
    So, I know shamans want two slow weapons for DW, but I just had a Flurry Axe drop, would that be a decent weapon for lvling in the 40's (where my shaman happens to be) I know it's fast as hell, but with that nice proc, stacking it with WF wouldn't that be good damage also?

Heh, same situation I found myself in. It's decent damage, although I actually use Flametongue with it and WF on my much-slower main.

TheEmerged on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

I don't see why you'd say enhancement won't be as viable in pvp
    means you're pretty much, unkitable, and you'll be running towards someone as a ghostwolf. Not alot is going to get away from you.

Plus, Hex is out

hexnw5.jpg

which looks itself to be a pretty nasty snare.

Sidenote; I love my elementals. Earth elemental is nice for those outdoor quests you want to do with guild mates when no tank is about, while the Fire elemental has helped me enormously with group quests I couldn't have done on my own. In an ideal world I'd like them on a shorter cooldown, but then it's obvious from the 20 min cooldown, Blizz don't want them being used in the arena.

I never said it wasn't viable, but that Elemental is clearly more viable as far as we know. I honestly don't think shamans are getting Hex. But thats just the pessimistic shaman in me talking. I don't know if Imp. SR is going to be enough either. I'm hoping that with the changes to Hit, Crit, and Haste, as well as new itemization, the new stat conversion talents (Int -> ATP), and the new spells all come together to make Enhancement work well in PVP. But all that can be hindered by what other classes are getting.

I really think they need to make the Imp. GW talent make the GW work like a Druid form on its final point. Or at least have the spell do that as a base effect.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Enhancement shamans who complain about PvP viability clearly aren't using a shield.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    In that video you can see the shaman whack the wolf after it being hexed, and it doesn't break the hex. And the wolf in the video didn't come melee'ing after the shaman while hexed, even though it clearly was aggroed. So it looks like my initial assertions were all correct.

Let's hope it stays that way!

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Paradox Control, how do you think elemental PvP will deal with pushback in wotlk, once people drop their arena gear with pushback protection?

I looked at the alpha tree again - do you think Thunder's knockback will be used to get distance from melee classes? Or do you think pushback will be less of an issue?

nourish on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It would be nice if they had int build pushback or even better...a straight talent that gives us proper pushback protection.

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    nourish wrote: »
    Paradox Control, how do you think elemental PvP will deal with pushback in wotlk, once people drop their arena gear with pushback protection?

I looked at the alpha tree again - do you think Thunder's knockback will be used to get distance from melee classes? Or do you think pushback will be less of an issue?
    the way I Imagen it, Thunder would definitely be used to get distance. Warrior charges in, you use Thunder, then Frost shock him, drop earth bind, run away, and then blast him. I can't speak for push back, because I've never truly played a caster class. But as it stands, I can imagen Elemental being much more successful in arenas then Enhance.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Any tips for someone who has just rolled a shammie?
    Leveling specs/tips/links etc?

noobert on
This discussion has been closed.