As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alan Wake: There may be something at Gamescom, there may not.. (see p.47)

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Shoegaze99 wrote: »
    Hmmm. I've had the impression it's open-world since I first saw previews. Dunno why, though. Something had to have triggered the thought.

A Computer Gaming World cover story preview, maybe?
    The preview with the tornado makes it look like it's one big world.

Also whats the deal with that? Alan Wake doesn't seem like the game that needs super physics.

I think cool things will be happening. Like the whole weather/lighting system they've got. I love the rapidly-changing time of day thing, and can see that being an awesome effect in the game.

Have I said how excited I am to one day play this? Because I really am.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This needs to be installed on my computer, right now. RIGHT NOW.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think it might be open-ended in the way Far Cry 2 is. As in they give you the whole town to explore from the start, and you can complete the objectives however you please. But there aren't any side-missions à la Oblivion or GTA.

Maybe.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    cliffskicliffski Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Everything sounds utterly fantastic,

Things tend to, in a press release. That's the PR mans job. Have you ever been hyped up about a game that failed to deliver on the promise? Because I know most of us have.
    All that matters is a playable demo. You can't trust reviews and hype to tell you what games are good these days.

cliffski on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    cliffski wrote: »

Everything sounds utterly fantastic,

Things tend to, in a press release. That's the PR mans job. Have you ever been hyped up about a game that failed to deliver on the promise? Because I know most of us have.
    All that matters is a playable demo. You can't trust reviews and hype to tell you what games are good these days.

That depends on the source and if you know how to read them. I find a lot of people tend to take previews and press-releases as some kind of minimum standard, that everything they see and hear will be improved upon and much bigger/better upon release. Personally, I'll take what I read and scale it back a bit. The world won't be a bigger, interaction won't be much better, graphics might be improved and so on. It also depends what you know of the developers and how they approach their work. The source of the preview is also important, as some places (Eurogamer, for instance) seem less afraid to point out flaws and mistakes (which you can pick up on if you read everything, rather than just skim for the plus points). It's not normally "THIS GAME WILL SUCK BECAUSE.." but they'll highlight things that aren't looking so great and could hamper the full release if they're still there.

With this in mind, it's very rare that I've been let down by a game I've bought.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    I don't see how the design will become dated. There is no other game coming out (that I am aware of, but I'm open to suggestions) that has the same, or similar, design as this. You mentioned Silent Hill, and fair enough they're both under the 'psychological horror' banner, but there's a whole lot different between the two.

To be honest, when I read the first post synopses about the story, the first thing I did think of was Silent Hill 2. It does sound like something that would be/has been used for the game. That doesn't mean the execution won't be totally different though, but I mean especially the thing about going to a small town and finding someone who looks exactly like his vanished/dead wife, and everything going all nasty from there isn't exactly unfamiliar, ya know?

As for a Max Payne 3, as much as I loved 2, am I the only person that thinks that 2 had the perfect ending for the series? I mean really, how often do game companies actually tell their story and get out without driving the series into the ground? I like that they decided to do something new instead.

Aoi on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, the story has a perfect ending in Max Payne 2. There's really no need to mess with it.

Renzo on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't know, considering that they strongly implied that there was more to tell at the end of the credits

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's been a while since I played it, what did they do to strongly imply there was more story? At least his part of the story really struck me as being finished. I mean something more in the world itself maybe, but again, his personal role in whatever was going on really seemed done to me.

Aoi on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    NEW TRAILER ALERT

http://www.eurogamer.net/tv_video.php?playlist_id=16234

I can't watch this from work, but now I can't wait to get home and see. There's also screenshots up on EG too.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Darleysam, we have got to stop doing this :P

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Son of a... MY THREAD, GET OUT!

edit: alternatively, my thread, you have to change.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Trailer gave me goosebumps. That is a good sign.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Woo!

So glad to see something new.

Renzo on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh my godddd, Remedy is so awesome. (Right up there with Valve imo.)

donhonk on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That trailer was pretty awesome. I'm still excited for this. I hope it comes out next year!

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I never heard of those "development bumps", I thought the game were in the finishing stages of development, so it's nice to see it coming along. 360 exclusive makes me sad, not surprising with "MS game studio" in the trailer though :|

Re: Max Payne 3/Not fucking with MP2: Just make it a prequel! Wasn't Mona Sax some sort of hired gun?

Panda4You on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My years of faith have been vindicated.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I usually hate the term "interactive movie".

But, a bit like Heavy Rain, that trailer makes this game look like an interactive movie.

In a good way.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wow this looks how Alone in the dark should have been

I'm stoked guys

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Max Payne was pretty cinematic, I think they can pull it off.

donhonk on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    looks pretty. need some gameplay footage before i can really say anything else.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Okay, well I just watched it.

Well there's Fable 2 and Dead Space that will be in my hands this week, and suddenly that seems a little less cool as a result of the new awesome game for my mind to fixate upon.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Looks absolutely awesome.

Did I hear wrong or didn't the plot sound a little "In the Mouth of Mandess"-ish?

Nothing wrong with that though.

Grudge on
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Grudge wrote: »
    Looks absolutely awesome.

Did I hear wrong or didn't the plot sound a little "In the Mouth of Mandess"-ish?

Nothing wrong with that though.

i was just about to post this. if you see a guy walking around with an axe... well run

krylon666 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    donhonk on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    Bullfrogof7272Bullfrogof7272 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This was the first post-launch 360 game I was really, really eager to play. Really eager. Looked for news about it every now and then because it looked so damn awesome ...

... but all went silent and it fell off the radar.

Which is a GOOD thing, I think. The two-year cycle of hype we get before a game's release these days more often than not results in backlash and broken hearts. I'd like to see more devs do what the Call of Duty 4 folks did. Shortly before the game be like, "Hey, check this out," then release it.

Could you imagine how different the reaction would have been to Spore if it wasn't set to be the Most Important Game Ever Released?

I will play this when it comes out. For now, all I need to know is that it's still coming out.

To be fair, Spore was supposed to be this awesome game with all sorts of cool features that were demonstrated in videos for years before the game was released. Then when the game came out, it turned out a lot of that stuff was cut and the game was basically not at all like what we'd been told to expect (except for creating things that look way different but basically do the same things).

The disappointment is Spore was due to being shown features that the game didn't end up having and ending up with a dumbed-down version of what people could've had. That's not the hype machine's fault; that's the fault of Will Wright and EA.

I was only using Spore because it's a current and high profile example, one that would give people a sense for what I meant. I think there are many, many lower profile examples of games that, while maybe not being a total letdown compared to the hype ala Spore, were just way too exposed for way too long prior to release. Endless previews detailing every last featured, hundreds of screenshots, and on and on and on.

That seems like overkill to me. Do we really need that much coverage of a game before it's released, and more importantly, that far in advance of release? A trailer is good. Some indication of the game style or what sets it apart is good. But beyond that I'd rather go into a game pretty fresh.

I dunno, it just seems like the pre-release hype cycle is getting longer and longer, sometimes to a game's detriment, and it strikes me that the relatively quiet talk about Alan Wake may well work in its favor if it does, in fact, surprise people with what it does.

Just a theory. I could be wrong.

tis is why i have avoided the Fallout 3 thread, and the website for it, and have refrained from reading the articles in GI etc. about it. I want to play it, not get so fucking hyped i can't think straight about it, so my intial impression will be colored only by my experience in the game and not by my expectations.

Bullfrogof7272 on
    the hammer, is my penis.
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Boy that trailer looked good

Hope the game lives up to it's narrative potential

I think it'll be fun no matter what

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

THE LORD IS GOOD

TO TASTE

Nuzak on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    AHHHHHHHHHHH 1080p AAAAAAA

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am so pumped for this game. If you asked me why, I probably couldn't give you very good reasons. But I am still pumped, regardless.

This game looks like a mind fuck.

Smashism on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The only words I need are "Remedy Entertainment" and I know I'm sold.

Awesome trailers (which I sadly cannot see at work) are just icing on the cake.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Smashism wrote: »
    I am so pumped for this game. If you asked me why, I probably couldn't give you very good reasons. But I am still pumped, regardless.

This game looks like a mind fuck.

That's exactly why. It looks like they've taken my favourite bits from Max Payne (where the story and world go all weird and mess with both the character's reality and both your heads), and thrown it into a survival-horror thing with a big bucket of atmosphere mixed in.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    CorakCorak Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    EDIT: I am a total idiot. I totally misread an article about how it was Vista only (and thus not playable on his XP PC). It is totally out for PC. My apologies, please don't set any more fires on my behalf.

Corak on
    I live!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I thought it would be PC and 360 at the same time.

Renzo on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Corak wrote: »

Mine t--- wait... no more PC? Wasn't it originally for PC? D:

.... it'd damned well better be for PC!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Corak wrote: »

Mine t--- wait... no more PC? Wasn't it originally for PC? D:

Wait, what?...Screw MS and their moutains of cash:x

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png