As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alan Wake: There may be something at Gamescom, there may not.. (see p.47)

• Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey, relink that video. I want to see what obscure two-year-old game he used. :P

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I saved you all a bunch of embarassment. Yeah, I know you were gonna post that on some other forum and act all cool. No need to thank me.
    For the record, I got that off the OXM forums, I should have known! *Waves fist angrily

Wakerolling, the new internet sport.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey, relink that video. I want to see what obscure two-year-old game he used. :P

for you <3

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BppEM0Q0nFw

Big Classy on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Too bad that game was canceled

Didn't look half bad, honestly

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I've just heard the best argument for why the footage can't be fake;
    I have no speakers so no sound but it was shown at some conference as well, so I doubt it'd be fake and shown in front of dozens of people

hahaha!

edit:
    So the actual footage is of a game called Redwood Falls that was dropped. Developed by Kuju.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=G-eB-oCWsq4

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Man, that doesn't look half-bad for what's likely an alpha build. Wonder why it got canned?

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man, that doesn't look half-bad for what's likely an alpha build. Wonder why it got canned?

That was some pretty awesome footage! Dude did you see the chunks he was blowing off that thing?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It clearly had problems. After the awesome bit in the cabin, going outside resulted in the slowest boss fight I think I've ever seen

But really, there was some serious potential there. I wonder what happened

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    thejazzmanthejazzman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hang on, it's canceled? People on the previous page are saying it looks good and stuff, PC specs etc, did I miss a very important post somewhere or is this a joke? Like b/c of the rumors ppl are joking about it being canceled?

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    thejazzman wrote: »
    Hang on, it's canceled? People on the previous page are saying it looks good and stuff, PC specs etc, did I miss a very important post somewhere or is this a joke? Like b/c of the rumors ppl are joking about it being canceled?

Not that I know of, what was shown was footage from an old game by some asshat who was claiming it was Alan Wake footage.

Far as I know, AW is still being worked on. The fake footage came from a game that's been cancelled.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited January 2009

No, no, people are discussing Redwood Falls, the game that was passed off as Alan Wake. That was cancelled.

Alan Wake is just launching simultaneously with Duke Nukem Forever.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

They're not talking about Alan Wake.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

No, no, people are discussing Redwood Falls, the game that was passed off as Alan Wake. That was cancelled.

They are launching together in something called Red Box.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

They are launching together in something called Red Box.

I thought they were going to be a Phantom exclusive at this point?

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man, Redwood Falls looked awesome as shit. Now I'm sad :(

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Prepare to be saddened even more as Kuju Entertainment announce staff cutbacks. :(

And now back on topic...... Oh, yes. There's nothing new on Alan Wake.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Prepare to be saddened even more as Kuju Entertainment announce staff cutbacks. :(

And now back on topic...... Oh, yes. There's nothing new on Alan Wake.

What does it matter the game was canceled 2 years ago. :(

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Now there's not an iota of a chance of it happening.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So there's.. something that constitutes some kind of news or update

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/remedy-leaks-alan-wake-teasers
    Developer Remedy has offered three cryptic passages of text written by Alan Wake that may contain clues as to the state of the game.

"The amount of pages keeps growing each night," begins the first message, posted on the official forum. "There are also new edits on the old pages. They keep getting more aggressive. The story is rewriting itself. The protagonist is now my namesake, and his wife is called Alice.

"The most worrying aspect: the genre seems to be shifting. It's turning into a horror story. I can no longer be certain whether the hero can succeed or even survive. Apart for jumbled fragments of bad dreams and an oppressive feeling, I can remember nothing of the process when I wake up.

"But this morning, a breakthrough! When I came to my senses, I could smell her perfume on my shirt. I am close. I know it. I must push on," adds the post.

Plenty can be read between the lines: the first section points toward a change in plot, the second part suggests a shift in tone, and the latter hints at an approaching release date announcement.

"Rusty's screams were still ringing in my ears. The tree stump the grove got its name from looked like a severed leg of a monstrous bird. I prayed that the gun would make a difference," adds the second instalment. "Every time I moved the flashlight, I was afraid of the horrors it might reveal. Suddenly a ragged arrow gloved in the light. I followed it."

The third and final post concludes: "I became increasingly afraid to go to sleep. I was convinced that I would wake up changed, darkness having seeped in through the cracks in the floor, crawled up to my bed, and made its way inside, through a nostril or an ear.

"I barricaded the door of the cabin. I kept the lights on at all times. I taped a note on the door (I had forgotten so many things already): 'Don't go out.'"

Alan Wake was unearthed back at E3 in 2005, and has dived undercover ever since - resurfacing briefly at the end of last year in a new trailer.

"Well 'quality' is what is taking so long," explains Remedy's Sam Lake in the updated FAQ. "Well of course something like this takes its time. We're still - even if we've hired more people - a relatively small team when compared to other studios making similar games.

"And when you're doing the game you put the quality standards pretty high and you want to make a good game, of course there is also large ambitions from the whole team in every area and that always takes time."

There's still no release date for Alan Wake, although Remedy is confident of hitting a secretive internal target.

Alan Wake is in development for PC and Xbox 360. Remedy's Markus Maki says the studio is still a registered Sony developer and that system-familiarity was the biggest reason for leaving PS3 out.

"We have absolutely nothing against PS3, far from it, and in fact we are still a registered Sony PS3 developer," he adds in the FAQ.

"It was a big decision for us to go with a console first party publisher with Alan Wake, but looking at it in hindsight I still think it was the right one for the game and for the company. We get a better game for you to enjoy and have less technological risks while making it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Fresh off the press, Alan Wake to be an FPS and spiritual successor to Duke Nukem Forever.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Fresh off the press, Alan Wake to be an FPS and spiritual successor to Duke Nukem Forever.

You shut your filthy whore mouth it is coming out and it will be glorious.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    darleysam wrote: »

You shut your filthy whore mouth it is coming out and it will be glorious.

This FPS will also be set in space and Alan will have a love triangle with Nova, star of Starcraft: Ghost.

seriously we're almost at the point where I'd make an "eat my cock" wager

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    don't make that wager. i did before... and lost :(

krylon666 on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Almost fills you with Sadness, doesn't it?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Man it's been a bumpy road, I still remember previewing this game at my FIRST E3 ever. Back then they were demoing the game with original DUKE Xbox controllers.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Almost fills you with Sadness, doesn't it?

Except, you know.. better and real.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That was an awesome read.

This game will be amazing. FOR REAL

donhonk on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    I find it somewhat amusing that they avoided PS3 because they felt it might hinder their progress and yet they're still struggling to churn this game out.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I find it somewhat amusing that they avoided PS3 because they felt it might hinder their progress and yet they're still struggling to churn this game out.

The game will be published by Microsoft.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Renzo wrote: »

And? The article says they willingly avoided PS3 development of this game in particular because of lack of knowledge.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

And? The article says they willingly avoided PS3 development of this game in particular because of lack of knowledge.

Well it is notoriously hard to program for, so I can understand them making that call.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Well it is notoriously hard to program for, so I can understand them making that call.

Other people manage, but that wasn't the point. The 360 is meant to be very easy comparatively to program for and they're still struggling, I find it funny that they haven't managed to complete this game yet and as Too Human showed, a long gestation doesn't necessarily mean a better product.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Other people manage, but that wasn't the point. The 360 is meant to be very easy comparatively to program for and they're still struggling, I find it funny that they haven't managed to complete this game yet and as Too Human showed, a long gestation doesn't necessarily mean a better product.

Doesn't mean it's a coding problem though, does it?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Possibly. But I'd imagine if it was anything but someone would eventually stamp their foot down and say "Stop rewriting shit and just get it right".

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Possibly. But I'd imagine if it was anything but someone would eventually stamp their foot down and say "Stop rewriting shit and just get it right".

Eh, it looks like quite a complex game from a story/gameplay perspective. I'm not going to pretend it's all gone swimmingly, they've said as much that it's had some difficult years of work on it, but it's probably not helped that it's ambitious as hell. You could argue that the fact it's taken this long on a single platform, you'd be looking at never having it done if they'd wanted to make it work on the PS3 too.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Didn't the original Max Payne also have a long development time?

That turned out to be totally worth it

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    Didn't the original Max Payne also have a long development time?

That turned out to be totally worth it

Yeah, and this is considerably more complicated. Remedy puts out quality products, don't shit on them without more information.

tofu on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is it possible Remedy is flush with some cash after the Max Payne movie?

They must have received something for that mess. I mean even a few million would pay for QA and polish entirely.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/sdcc-09-alan-wake/53344

Prettyneat looking gameplay, thogugh the player is crappy.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Curse of the player being shite strikes again. Ugh. Still, something is better than nothing.

Big Classy on