As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alan Wake: There may be something at Gamescom, there may not.. (see p.47)

• Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    Smashism wrote: »
    I am so pumped for this game. If you asked me why, I probably couldn't give you very good reasons. But I am still pumped, regardless.

This game looks like a mind fuck.

That's exactly why. It looks like they've taken my favourite bits from Max Payne (where the story and world go all weird and mess with both the character's reality and both your heads), and thrown it into a survival-horror thing with a big bucket of atmosphere mixed in.

Don't forget the Twin Peaks and Steven King references....

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I had Silent Hill deja vu after watching the trailer. I think they should give up and make another Max Payne! Who is with me??

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Emanon wrote: »
    I had Silent Hill deja vu after watching the trailer. I think they should give up and make another Max Payne! Who is with me??

*crickets*

rayofash on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

What, in that trailer, was anything like Silent Hill besides it being horror set in small-town america?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »

What, in that trailer, was anything like Silent Hill besides it being horror set in small-town america?

A dead wife trying to reach out to her husband I guess?

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Spoit wrote: »
    Corak wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    My years of faith have been vindicated.

Mine t--- wait... no more PC? Wasn't it originally for PC? D:

Wait, what?...Screw MS and their moutains of cash:x

No I'm certain it's still going to be on PC, it's always been one of Microsoft's Vista headliners.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »

Which is hardly original to Silent Hill.
    Hell, Poe did it.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »

Which is hardly original to Silent Hill.
    Hell, Poe did it.

I know. :P

Just thought that I might as well point it out.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, I take it Alan is an author who wrote a book about something creepy-ish, and now his story is coming to life in this little town?

Daemonion on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Can anyone explain to me what kind of game this is yet?

As in, gameplay type?

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Daemonion wrote: »
    So, I take it Alan is an author who wrote a book about something creepy-ish, and now his story is coming to life in this little town?

He's writes horror books and what he wrote starts happening in the town, yes.

rayofash on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    I am so pumped for this game. If you asked me why, I probably couldn't give you very good reasons. But I am still pumped, regardless.

That's exactly why. It looks like they've taken my favourite bits from Max Payne (where the story and world go all weird and mess with both the character's reality and both your heads), and thrown it into a survival-horror thing with a big bucket of atmosphere mixed in.

That too. It's basically the best bits of the best things, all put together in a lovely box with my name on it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

That too. It's basically the best bits of the best things, all put together in a lovely box with my name on it.

A...Alan?

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

posts like this can collapse the economies of small nations. where do you pick this shit up?

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowlayerShadowlayer Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wow, this sounds A LOT like Max Payne (which is good 'cause I liked the series).

Did remedy said if this game is a spiritual successor?

Shadowlayer on
    Work in Progress
  • Options
    edited October 2008

A...Alan?

Yes?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

A...Alan?

Yes?

Wake up.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Are you an idiot? Its still for PC.

donhonk on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

A...Alan?

Yes?

Wake up.

Hoho

Seriously though, this just ticks all my boxes. Can't wait.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dunno what it is, the so-called survival horror genre isn't my favorite, yet I want this game SO BAD. That trailer gave me chills.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think the reason the trailer is so effective is because it is actually paced, edited, and acted like a movie trailer

I have to admit, if I saw a trailer for a movie like that, I would be intrigued

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh, Remedy...<3

tofu on
  • Options
    AmnioticAmniotic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Vista only. Fuck that noise. I've been looking forward to this for years, can't believe I missed that detail.

Amniotic on
    EvE Online - Kellen Pikara
  • Options
    Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This game looks like it will be a shitty adventure game with realistic visuals and some fancy new physics effects.

Nothing about the game-play or story look very exciting to me. I think this game managed to get more hype than its worth due to them deciding to implement some new technologies.

I bet it will run on very few computers.

And not make any money.

And suck dick.

And.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This game looks like it will be a shitty adventure game with realistic visuals and some fancy new physics effects.

Nothing about the game-play or story look very exciting to me. I think this game managed to get more hype than its worth due to them deciding to implement some new technologies.

And not make any money.

And suck dick.

And.

I hope this is going somewhere...

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gosh, I know it's the physics that have ME excited ...

Yeah. That's the ticket.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

And not make any money.

And suck dick.

And.

I hope this is going somewhere...

Expectations so low that it could be a pile of shit in a box and he'd still love it?

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    LEAKED FOOTAGE! YAAAAAAAAAY
    FAKE!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

donhonk on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Was it always meant to be first person? Pass for me then, I can barely stand being able to see around me in a horror game in third person, let alone only whats directly ahead of me.

EDIT: It all looked very pretty but boring as fuck and the position of his gun hand compared to the player view looked awkward.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Watching this when I get home, probably exploding with GLEE.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Its switchable as far as I know. I was expecting more action in the video but nice to see all the details in the various bits.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    If its switchable then good, because it doesn't seem like Remedy can make a first person shooter. Those are some awkward animations. But it had plenty of what they do best, details. And good graphics.

donhonk on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I cannot, for the life of me, read that synopsis without thinking of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. Just the words horror writer makes me snicker now.

I do, however, love Remedy.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    "It was misty out. The mist hung in the air like a man who was just hanged. From a gallows. It was so misty that you couldn't see very far. It was the worst mist."

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Erm, fake.
    I make a video from a XBOX 360 and PS3 game that was cancelled almost 2 years ago, post it here and on twitter, and the internet goes batshit with fanboy rage. This is almost as epic as the last rumourmill with Miley Cyrax dying. I think that was more fun for me though. It was on E news in 24 hours. Its sad that “Journalists” are so eager to think something is true based on no proof at all. When I can come up with an idea in Ventrilo and then shoot a shitty photo camera video of a 2 year old game that nobody remembers, and mutter some BS about GDC in the background, and a fucking journalist thinks it somehow ‘proves’ something is legit, it seems that the gaming industry needs to wake up. Or was it Windows movie maker that made it look real?

Let’s cover some things:

The username that posted it was “PuffDaddySucks” That alone didn’t raise a few flags?

Alan Wake is 100% a 3rd person game. Granted you can hold a button and have a closer view of items, but by no means does it stay locked that way.

There is actual in game footage of Alan Wake that is a youtube or google search away but somehow people are too lazy to do it.

Some of the N4G gems were “This obviously isnt a 360, is could never handle that power.” Well buddy, it is, and its 2 years old. You suck Fucktard. Learn something about games before you flap your gums. Nothing is worse than hearing an uneducated idiots opinion.

It took NEOGAF of all places, 5 or 6 pages of forums posts to break this down. Though I give many of them credit for seriously doing research unlike most of the journalists out there. Videogames247 actually took the high road and thought to contact someone at Remedy, the company that actually makes the game. At some point, when 2 people at NEOGAF figured it out, the entire internet cracked the case as well. Your comments are frozen in time fools. You aren’t fooling me. I cant find the thread or I would gives props to the people that figured it out.

edit: Got me good, though. Bravo.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Nice one dickbutt!
    1562-82169-1208356743421jpg-550x.jpg

donhonk on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Good thing that wasn't Alan Wake footage. Whatever that game was had a serious case of the floating guns.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hahahaha, no worries. I shall, however, know you as the guy who screwed up.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I saved you all a bunch of embarassment. Yeah, I know you were gonna post that on some other forum and act all cool. No need to thank me.
    For the record, I got that off the OXM forums, I should have known! *Waves fist angrily

Big Classy on