As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[COH ON]Company of Heroes - Wherein We Grudgingly Accept A Balanced(ish) Game

• Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I hate your pictures.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wooo, joined up at GR.org, and downloading a few videocasts.

LET THE TRAINING COMMENCE!

Kami on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kami wrote: »

Tales of Heroes had some incredibly good vidcasts that taught you what to and not to do.
    *crrkkkkkt* this is barbed wire... *crrkkkkkt*

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    Kami wrote: »

Tales of Heroes had some incredibly good vidcasts that taught you what to and not to do.
    *crrkkkkkt* this is barbed wire... *crrkkkkkt*

http://www.gamefire.com/component/seyret/?task=videodirectlink&id=102

http://www.gamefire.com/component/seyret/?task=videodirectlink&id=106

Numbers 1 and 2.

All the basic skills you'll need to open up a can of whoopass on the new players who haven't seen them.

Edit: BTW, what button do I press to reset my camera view to the default? In the middle of a game.

Edit Again: Holy crap, they removed St. Mere from the 1v1 Automatch lineup

Sepah on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    backspace twice

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Sepah wrote: »
    Holy crap, they removed St. Mere from the 1v1 Automatch lineup

Yeah, and St. Hilaire from the 2v2s.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Bless you, you fine gentlemen.

Kami on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    backspace twice

Thankee.

Sepah on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I just watched the first Tales of Heroes video, and it's incredibly useful. The Shift/Waypoint stuff is Grade A, and the strategy of noting the amount of windows a building has before putting a gunner in it is super helpful.

Kami on
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    Sepah wrote: »
    Holy crap, they removed St. Mere from the 1v1 Automatch lineup

Yeah, and St. Hilaire from the 2v2s.

Well fuckadilly.

I actually liked St Hillaire. Even if it became harder in OF due to G43 squads owning the shit out of building-to-building fighting, and ACs running in and knocking out 2 MGs in the HUGE STONE warehouses in 2 bursts.

Back when my partner and I played dual wher (before OF) exclusively, St Hillaire was our jam.

[EDIT] Actually now that I recall how blatantly OP PE is in the city, I don't seem to be missing it much. Poor Hillaire..

TekDragon on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The warehouses are brick. St. Hillaire is just a poor knockoff of Rails and Metal.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The warehouses are brick. St. Hillaire is just a poor knockoff of Rails and Metal.

Does CoH differentiate between brick and stone? The AC still shouldn't wipe out 2 full health MG squads in a 60mph drive by.

And Rails and Metal is OMNOMNOM (no, I won't explain it to you) now that they fixed the "zOMG! Rush the fuel in middle!" design.

They still need to fix the buildings, though. Top building gets completely destroyed by a handful of mortar hits. Bottom building can survive 5 bombing runs, 4 off-maps, 3 V1s, 2 firestorms, and a... nevermind.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah but the top building and bottom building aren't supposed to be analogous. And I don't know if it differentiates between brick and stone.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah but the top building and bottom building aren't supposed to be analogous. And I don't know if it differentiates between brick and stone.

Right. Because back in vCoH it was an even match. If Wher sent their first pio down to grab the south building the first US riflesquad could knock it out before the MG made it. Likewise if US tried to send down an engineer it wouldn't matter since Wher would immediately do a sniper start knowin a US HMG was coming (likely followed by a sniper).

With OF, PE can send their first unit to grab the building with G43s and can hold onto it for a looong time until the Wher MG42 shows up or more G43s come to reinforce - making it imbalanced now in favor of aggressive Axis teams.

Still, the imbalance is small and R&M is an amazing map.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    TekDragon wrote: »

Right. Because back in vCoH it was an even match. If Wher sent their first pio down to grab the south building the first US riflesquad could knock it out before the MG made it. Likewise if US tried to send down an engineer it wouldn't matter since Wher would immediately do a sniper start knowin a US HMG was coming (likely followed by a sniper).

With OF, PE can send their first unit to grab the building with G43s and can hold onto it for a looong time until the Wher MG42 shows up or more G43s come to reinforce - making it imbalanced now in favor of aggressive Axis teams.

Truth. Some of my most epic matches have been on that map. Lorraine is another good one.

For that R&M south house, it's a good way to lure enemies into sniper range. I usually have a sniper just patrolling around that area and picking off PGs or MGs in that house from a distance.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Recon squad. Not practical.. but worth a try.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    All the Americans I've been playing lately backtech to a WSC. Snipers and Mortars and Machine guns are freaking annoying as Wehrmacht.

Sepah on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Recon squad. Not practical.. but worth a try.

G43's maximize their firepower out of 2 windows. They hit 80-90% of their firepower.

A recons firing out of 2 windows is only 40% of their power.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I thought the point was to hold the building until something else showed up.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I thought the point was to hold the building until something else showed up.

You missed the discussion, but let me try to clarify for you.

Pre PE the point was to hold the building until something bigger showed up that could cover the fuel effectively. With OF came the PE which are able to hold the building and cover the fuel with their first unit - and have a ketten.

A scout section in the building is just silly. First of all, if you put your scout section there you're not capping the fuel for your truck. Second, if you do cap and then get in the building (which means the PE didn't rush you anyway, so it's a moot point), the small number of windows on each side means a Ketten can run up and cap the point and laugh at the ineffectual scouts while your truck is screwed (and since your scouts are sitting on their thumbs in a building you don't have a backup point).

Because of this imbalance, I'm forced to go WSC start (which I hate) to build a sniper first to clear the building. It's either that or I do barracks first and let them have the fuel until I get enough ammo for a flamer and do a flank - which isn't guaranteed success. Just the THREAT of the PE going to a SINGLE building is enough to dictate my entire strategy. It's pretty shitty - but that describes Axis (PE specifically) to a T. Pretty shitty.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You're right. Axis is just so broken. I quit COH because you've convinced me that axis is just too broken.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Dangit TekDragon that was our ONLY #1 Wehrmacht player. We can't just go and replace him any old time.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You're right. Axis is just so broken. I quit COH because you've convinced me that axis is just too broken.

Whermacht is still pretty gangster, even if zombie farming and free king tigers have removed their "real men" reputation. The problem is PE.

Brits are a joke now. Both Wher and PE have "guaranteed wins vs Brit" strats. PE only lose to US if there's a major skill discrepancy. The only thing balanced anymore is Wher vs US.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I really do hate PE as well. Always found the ladder to be laughably inflated until everyone realized they were just stealing souls when they played the faction. Still, it's fun to run into some guy using a muni halftrack every now and then.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The only thing balanced anymore is Wher vs US.

Unfortunately, I'm finding this more and more to be true.

I had another epic match, and it was, yeah, US vs. Wehr. Ended up winning the game, but I was up against three 3-vet PanzerIVs. You know what he did? He repaired them in a neat row near his base. Recon with sniper. Bombing run. GG.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Beat three dedicated AC rushes just today. It isn't like it's impossible.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I played this game at a friends house a while ago and absolutely loved it. Was busy with work and the plethora of other games out, but as of late I've been itching for a good RTS style game.

I was thinking about this (since it's cheap on steam for the game + expansion) or the new C&C game. Now I'm sure the people in this thread will be partial to CoH :P but I'm more curious about the multiplayer. Is it to late in the game to get it and actually have fun? Am I going to find no one to play with and just get annihilated by the remaining playerbase who are all amazing and know all the tricks? D:

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Thousands of people still playing COH. You won't have a problem finding a game.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    Fry-O-FishFry-O-Fish Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I played this game at a friends house a while ago and absolutely loved it. Was busy with work and the plethora of other games out, but as of late I've been itching for a good RTS style game.

I was thinking about this (since it's cheap on steam for the game + expansion) or the new C&C game. Now I'm sure the people in this thread will be partial to CoH :P but I'm more curious about the multiplayer. Is it to late in the game to get it and actually have fun? Am I going to find no one to play with and just get annihilated by the remaining playerbase who are all amazing and know all the tricks? D:

There's still a fairly large community online and a good mix of players skill-wise. The best advice I can give to people who are starting out is to watch a lot of replays from some good players. Try to copy some strategies and build orders and you could feasibly win over half of your first couple automatch games.

On a side note, I find the pe to be difficult to play against because their teching costs are relatively low and there is an amount of "build order poker" when playing against them. I have to guess if they are going acs and get a m8 or quad out in time. If they go for t4 instead, at hts fuck my m8s and my at guns get rushed by p4s. Then, just to fuck with me even further, it's becoming increasingly popular to go from t3 for acs to t4 and get an at half track. If you get at guns, both marders and p4s can act as counters . Luckily, the beta patches seems to fix a lot of this.

Fry-O-Fish on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

I got it last week, and in about half of my games I was crushing newbs (I read strategies, watch shoutcasts, and play skirmishes before I start multiplayer, so...) As long as you avoid team games for a while, I think you'll be okay. The ranking system seems to work, and I haven't run into any obvious smurfs.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    admanb wrote: »

I got it last week, and in about half of my games I was crushing newbs (I read strategies, watch shoutcasts, and play skirmishes before I start multiplayer, so...) As long as you avoid team games for a while, I think you'll be okay. The ranking system seems to work, and I haven't run into any obvious smurfs.

Awesome! Could you point me to the specific stuff you were looking at so I can peruse it? :winky:

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Awesome! Could you point me to the specific stuff you were looking at so I can peruse it? :winky:

This place is generally regarded as the best strategy/tactics forum to go to. You can read about strategies or watch replays/shoutcasts. I'd suggest first watching the beginning tales of heroes videos on the last page, as they provide you with most of the basic skills needed to play the game. Our own TychoCelchuuu does his own shoutcasts which are pretty good, so you should also watch those once you've familiarized yourself with the game, as watching replays is generally the best way to become better, aside from actually playing the game.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Can also message me on the Steam community or via private message here on PA at any time. I've had more than enough experience with the game to answer a question or two if you need.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Can also message me on the Steam community or via private message here on PA at any time. I've had more than enough experience with the game to answer a question or two if you need.

Will do. I've seen you on the PA TF2 servers when I"m on playing. I'll toss you a friend request next time I"m on and pick your brain at some future time :)

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Sounds like a plan.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I watched the first basic training video and that was really good. I went to the second one and the link didn't work, the video never loaded and every other link I tried for that video was giving me 404 errors. Anyone have any luck watching that second vid?

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I watched the first basic training video and that was really good. I went to the second one and the link didn't work, the video never loaded and every other link I tried for that video was giving me 404 errors. Anyone have any luck watching that second vid?

I sadly couldn't get it to work either. I tried looking for other mirrors for it, to no avail.

Kami on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

This place is generally regarded as the best strategy/tactics forum to go to. You can read about strategies or watch replays/shoutcasts. I'd suggest first watching the beginning tales of heroes videos on the last page, as they provide you with most of the basic skills needed to play the game. Our own TychoCelchuuu does his own shoutcasts which are pretty good, so you should also watch those once you've familiarized yourself with the game, as watching replays is generally the best way to become better, aside from actually playing the game.

CasinoGhost does shoutcasts too! He's in the OP. His are better and more British. My friend's got a copy of the second training video on his computer but that's not going to work until after Winter Break, which is halfway through January. If it's not working on Gamefire you might be out of luck.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    hey, if anyone wants to shoutcast this incredibly long game I barely won a couple of nights ago on the 1v1 ladder, I'd love to hear everything I did wrong.

http://rapidshare.de/files/41168932/longgame.rec.html

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Also everyone should watch me replay against GenearlKJ if you haven't already. It's quite a treat.

http://www.gamereplays.org/companyofheroes/replays.php?game=25&tab=popular&show=details&id=62382

Kinderparty on