As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Oh yeah. Slob those Knobs.

• Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A-Puck wrote: »
    Mainly survivability tools. We don't get fancy tactics like Regenerative Shielding, or the shaman escape tactics, or other examples I'd find if wardb.com wasn't down for maintenance at the moment. In a sense, the broken version of FE was the AM's escape mechanic, and that's gone.

I think only the melee healers get regenerative shielding, and of all the healers only shamans get eek.

Really, there is not much difference in your toolbox from other healer's toolboxes. Goblins get some great racial tactics, certainly, but AMs aren't hurting any more than any of the rest of us.
    The shaman isn't missing tools - the archmage is.

AP drain: Drain Magic
    shield: shield of saphery
    knockback: cleansing flare, wind blast
    silence: law of gold

So, what tools are you missing? Given that your Ap drain doesn't give you the AP like the shaman's does.

And keeping in mind that I play a Zealot, which is a healer, not a hybrid, and I don't have any sort of AP drain, and the ritual that can increase AP regain only triggers on attacks.

And we all get restorative burst which gives us AP for a crit heal.
    But you get a tactic to gain a bonus to crit on heals.

The AP drain not giving AP is pretty huge since AP managment is the archmages main problem.
    Shield of Saphery is nice, but group only.
    Wind blast is nice but it's on a 60 second cooldown. Cleansing flare requires *14* points in the damage tree which means your trying to play a DPS AM...
    And Shamans silence is exactly the same thing?

I feel that the main thing I want is better AP management and the other thing I'd like is something to keep non group members alive for the first few seconds when they start to get hit (I don't have funnel essence yet).

You need the HoT's to keep up with the damage but once those are applied your big heal will take to long. Group members can be shielded for a while to get the big heal in but that's about it.
    Sometimes I find myself just spamming healing energy because I can't wait for the big heal or the target will die. But HE just eats up AP so it's not really a solution.

A nuke would be nice too but you can't have anything.

Edit: I expect this to change when I get funnel essence but it's pretty annoying that you really seem to need that spell if you want to be able to single target heal.

AP management is everyone's problem. You can solve yours by picking up the tactic that gives you 190 AP/90s on a crit heal then slotting the tactic that gives you +10% crit heal.

All the healer knockdowns are on 60s timers (I think), and we all have tactics to bring that down to 20s.

Yeah, the silence for shaman and AM are identical.

All healers are much more effective at keeping group members alive than non-members.

All of these things can be applied equally to any of the ranged healers, with the acknowledgment that goblin racial tactics are the best racial tactics.

And I think I recall them saying that they are knocking a second of our big heal.

AM do not get the knockback cooldown reduction tactic, additionally the tactic that gives you AP on a crit heal is Restorative Burst but what it actually does is give you 40 AP over 3 seconds, and ONLY on direct heals not HOTs, so the group heal and the big heal, I don't even think i've ever seen it proc on the Healing Energy ability. It pretty much lets you spam your group heal nonstop without running out of AP, but shaman get it it too so not a solution really.

Meaning that an archmage is at a huge disadvantage compared to a shaman. The ONLY nice thing I've noticed is that an archmage can "cleanse" the AP steal ability that a shaman casts, assuming there aren't 5 other debuffs on the person you are trying to cleanse.

edit: hopeully the changes to the big heal (.5s cast time reduction, and pushback time changed from 1s to .5s) make it a viable healing ability now.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    WolveSight wrote: »
    Zzulu wrote: »
    I keep getting low contribution in keep sieges. Usually if I go pants crazy with DPS, I get a silver medal. But I've never gotten a gold medal. Is there a trick to get good contribution? I'm a sorc, by the way.

Show up late.

My belief, and I could be as completely wrong as everyone else, is it's a weighted system based on rank (possibly both renown and character level) and how active you were throughout the entire keep taking based on a percentage. Hell, the contribution system could be bugged for all we know, but it really doesn't make a difference. The most important roll is actually the random roll at the end. You can get a 500 contribution and then roll a 20. You can get a 10 contribution and roll 1000 (it happened, and the guy had already ridden off since he hadn't expected to win, he got his bag though).

I'm pretty sure the 'contribution' system is actually supposed to be absolute bullshit and the people who will win or lose is chosen when they go into the area. I trust the source this is from, the walloftext blog, of course it could be the people crunching numbers had just flipped their lid trying to figure it out and went 'fuck it!'.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Is a Shadow Hunter like a Shadow Warrior?

Eh, they're poncy elves, does it make a difference what you call them?

The first sounds worse; fighting shadows is lame, but when you can't even find them in the first place? Embarrasing!

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    skippymchaggisskippymchaggis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wolve, you know spouting stuff that makes sense is gonna make people listen to you. Sheesh.

Seriously, I also agree that it's mostly random dependent upon the final roll. The bonuses are nice, but I have seen enough stuff to know I don't know how contribution finally plays out. I, too, feel it's something to do with relative performance. I also agree that the way to get loot is to go on keep sieges and kill keep lords.

skippymchaggis on
  • Options
    ZanteZante Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A bug that was fixed that wasn't mentioned in the patch notes is hide helm/cape.

You can now see when other people hide them. In other words, they're actually hiding properly now. I didn't get the chance to test if it still had to be retoggled after zoning, but the first is definately working now. This is pretty good news for those of us who care what our character looks like.

Zante on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Any word on when the event is over?

Edit: Oh. Tomorrow.

KiTA on
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    all i hear about BGs is how much they suck

whats the real skinny

I did not test them too indepth, but from what I personally discovered from testing with the rank 35 templates is that the career does have it's share of problems.

-Low Damage. This is a rather general complaint, and I felt it quite a bit myself, particularly as I had trouble taking down healers with the 50% Healing Debuff slotted (though it only debuffs healing done by the target, and I've heard some suggest it's bugged, so keep this in mind).

-Lack of CC relative to other tanks. Their knockback distance is based off hate and their knockdown requires shield. Also, oddly enough, they have no silence outside of a tier four morale despite being anti-caster. Though this issue is probably a larger sorespot with people than it would be otherwise due to the IB practically eating, breathing and shitting CC.

-Lack of an Armor Debuff/Magic skill. This did not personally bother me too much, as I generally ignored other tanks, but it certainly seems to be an odd thing to leave out.

-They have too many tactics which feel necesary to be reasonably effective. I felt this myself, but did not think much of it (I've felt this on other careers as well), but others have apparently reported this, so I decided to toss this up.

Note: I should mention that the gear they gave the Black Guard as standard during the level 35 template testing was terrible. As a result, much of the rather poor findings MIGHT be attributed to this. It is hard to say. Also keep in mind that I did not test as much as I would have liked due to various other things eating up my time, and my results could be tainted due to the lack of time.

With that said, I personally think the Black Guard is going to be a reasonably effective career, but I do believe there is much to be improved upon, particularly if the Black Guard is supposed to be as effective as the Ironbreaker.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    so, will the magus still be ass with the patch? I love mine to death, but fun as she is, I can't play her in good conscience knowing that she is nothing but a gimped sorc. at least it's probably the best PvE grinding class in the game... -_-

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Arthil wrote: »
    Zzulu wrote: »
    I keep getting low contribution in keep sieges. Usually if I go pants crazy with DPS, I get a silver medal. But I've never gotten a gold medal. Is there a trick to get good contribution? I'm a sorc, by the way.

Show up late.

My belief, and I could be as completely wrong as everyone else, is it's a weighted system based on rank (possibly both renown and character level) and how active you were throughout the entire keep taking based on a percentage. Hell, the contribution system could be bugged for all we know, but it really doesn't make a difference. The most important roll is actually the random roll at the end. You can get a 500 contribution and then roll a 20. You can get a 10 contribution and roll 1000 (it happened, and the guy had already ridden off since he hadn't expected to win, he got his bag though).

I'm pretty sure the 'contribution' system is actually supposed to be absolute bullshit and the people who will win or lose is chosen when they go into the area. I trust the source this is from, the walloftext blog, of course it could be the people crunching numbers had just flipped their lid trying to figure it out and went 'fuck it!'.

I'm pretty sure that source is full of shit and people have dissociated the source from the message.

As far as I'm concerned nobody has worked it out yet.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    so, will the magus still be ass with the patch? I love mine to death, but fun as she is, I can't play her in good conscience knowing that she is nothing but a gimped sorc. at least it's probably the best PvE grinding class in the game... -_-

When I played a templated level 35 Magus (specced Havoc) I felt I was contributing reasonably well. Perhaps not as well as a Sorceress, but well enough that I felt like I was not wasting a space.

Unfortunately they have done little to make the road to said level tolerable and they have not really fixed many of the bugs, so the fundamental problems are essentially still there. That's for Havoc anyway. I've essentially lost interest in Changing/Daemonology myself.

Iblis on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    ooh here's something that's nice in the patch notes:
    # A time delay has been added to the preliminary spawns of flags and murderballs in several scenarios. This change was made in order to ensure that both sides have a chance to run to the spawn location of the flag or murderball at the start of the match, and battle for control of the area even before the object has spawned. The affected scenarios include the following:

* Mourkain Temple
    * Stone Troll Crossing
    * Tor Anroc
    * Howling Gorge
    * Talabec Dam
    * Serpent's Passage

Finally it won't matter who can run there faster...

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited December 2008
    Lurquasss farming is so fun.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    XzeanXzean Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Iblis wrote: »

When I played a templated level 35 Magus (specced Havoc) I felt I was contributing reasonably well. Perhaps not as well as a Sorceress, but well enough that I felt like I was not wasting a space.

Unfortunately they have done little to make the road to said level tolerable and they have not really fixed many of the bugs, so the fundamental problems are essentially still there. That's for Havoc anyway. I've essentially lost interest in Changing/Daemonology myself.

You, uh, do know they increased Magus DoT co-ificients by 200% or more as well as upping their base damage.

To like, basically every DoT.

Seriously.

Xzean on
    9df14c6e1e43475d.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Xzean wrote: »

You, uh, do know they increased Magus DoT co-ificients by 200% or more as well as upping their base damage.

Seriously.

I specifically said I was talking about the Havoc branch. Havoc's only DoT until level 30 is Baleful Transmogrification. Aside from that it has Flickering Red Fire and Surging Violet Fire which are rather lackluster nukes.

Iblis on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wardb looks like it has the career builder updated with the new careers, I'm sure there should be some new info on there as well.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Lurquasss farming is so fun.

darkpromise cloak
    darkpromise gloves
    darkpromise belt

horray good night

Unknown User on
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    grrarg wrote: »
    Runepriests get regenerative shielding.

They also get Ancestral Inheritance, which gives them twice as much armor as archmages, shaman, or zealots. Fucking Runepriests. Where's that fist-shaking emoticon when I need it?

We're Dwarves.

Deal.

:P

I love it; got sick of being 1-3 shotted in keep attacks.

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm not surprised that, the night before the nerf that's going to potentially destroy my class, I get 4 sentinel drops.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Folks,

I'll simply say this, to those who are saying we don't listen to or ignore feedback, you're not telling the truth. The team may not agree with some of *your* reasoning, but I can assure you that they are listening. Just because the team doesn't agree with a person's opinion/idea/insight doesn't mean it is being ignored it simply means that they don't agree with it. It is not the C&C team's job to agree with a certain person's opinion but rather to make the best decisions they can based on *all* the feedback and data we've gathered from the PTS. There's a fine line between listening too much to player feedback and too little of course but we've shown over the last 6 months how much we do listen to the community as a whole and have made lots of changes, adjustments and additions to the game based on player feedback. So, bash us when we screw up, no problem, we deserve it but to say we don't listen, never listen, etc. is just nonsense, plain and simple.

Oh, and in terms of "Why the heck didn't you fix XXXX?" or "When is my career going to get some/more love?" it is as simple as we need to get 1.0.6 LIVE so we can get other versions into testing. 1.0.6 is so chock full of changes/additions that cramming any more stuff into it would have majorly slowed down the deployment of it as well as other patches and considering that 1.0.6 is late already, we weren't about to delay it even in order to put more stuff/changes into it. This patch has lots of absolutely necessary changes and fixes and it needs to be deployed now since it is ready so we can move on to the next series of patches. As always, this is a no-win scenario for us. If we hold up patches for better quality assurance or for feature creep, out come the "Mythic is so slow, when are you going to patch!" posts. If we patch more quickly we get the "WTF, don't you guys test anything?" or the "Is that's all there is!?!?!" posts. We'll continue to do what we need to do to continue to improve WAR but at the same time, we cannot afford to create more problems for ourselves by rushing out a patch as those days are behind us.

Mark

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Folks,

I'll simply say this, to those who are saying we don't listen to or ignore feedback, you're not telling the truth. The team may not agree with some of *your* reasoning, but I can assure you that they are listening. Just because the team doesn't agree with a person's opinion/idea/insight doesn't mean it is being ignored it simply means that they don't agree with it. It is not the C&C team's job to agree with a certain person's opinion but rather to make the best decisions they can based on *all* the feedback and data we've gathered from the PTS. There's a fine line between listening too much to player feedback and too little of course but we've shown over the last 6 months how much we do listen to the community as a whole and have made lots of changes, adjustments and additions to the game based on player feedback. So, bash us when we screw up, no problem, we deserve it but to say we don't listen, never listen, etc. is just nonsense, plain and simple.

Oh, and in terms of "Why the heck didn't you fix XXXX?" or "When is my career going to get some/more love?" it is as simple as we need to get 1.0.6 LIVE so we can get other versions into testing. 1.0.6 is so chock full of changes/additions that cramming any more stuff into it would have majorly slowed down the deployment of it as well as other patches and considering that 1.0.6 is late already, we weren't about to delay it even in order to put more stuff/changes into it. This patch has lots of absolutely necessary changes and fixes and it needs to be deployed now since it is ready so we can move on to the next series of patches. As always, this is a no-win scenario for us. If we hold up patches for better quality assurance or for feature creep, out come the "Mythic is so slow, when are you going to patch!" posts. If we patch more quickly we get the "WTF, don't you guys test anything?" or the "Is that's all there is!?!?!" posts. We'll continue to do what we need to do to continue to improve WAR but at the same time, we cannot afford to create more problems for ourselves by rushing out a patch as those days are behind us.

Mark

The man speaks the truth, but I do somewhat wonder about Mythic's attentiveness.

Anyone play DAoC way back when? Remember when rogue classes were really uncommon? Remember it was because they were slightly underpowered? Remember when Mythic went and damned-near tripled their skill points? Remember when they became so overpowered that any given battleground was about 50% rogues? Remember when it stayed like that for fucking years?

I like Mark Jacobs, but I really do wonder how much attention people are really getting. Bright Wizards are looking like rogues all over again, at this point.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Eh, rogues in DAoC were only really powerful a) when they still had Ignore Pain (full 100% heal, so you'd have to kill us twice) and b) at the beginning of the age of buffbots. I remember watching a thrust-specced Infiltrator solo an entire group of level 50 Hibs, it was glorious.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    s3rial one wrote: »
    Folks,

Mark

The man speaks the truth, but I do somewhat wonder about Mythic's attentiveness.

Anyone play DAoC way back when? Remember when rogue classes were really uncommon? Remember it was because they were slightly underpowered? Remember when Mythic went and damned-near tripled their skill points? Remember when they became so overpowered that any given battleground was about 50% rogues? Remember when it stayed like that for fucking years?

I like Mark Jacobs, but I really do wonder how much attention people are really getting. Bright Wizards are looking like rogues all over again, at this point.

Honestly i don't think BW are OP at all. They die so quickly and will die even quicker now with the changes to their roots.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I like how the man speaks... er, types rather. I'm imagining that Mythic does see when they fuck up, but I'm glad it seems they don't roll over like a bitch for their costumers in a lot of things, and instead focus on what's best for the game, not for a minority of whiners. Kind of makes me feel good about my choice to get a new computer for Warhammer.

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Mythic is not very good when it comes to class balance shit, but they are good at everything else.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mythic is not very good when it comes to class balance shit, but they are good at everything else.

All it takes is a niche of people to complain loudly and they'll totally go back on what they did to balance something, its great.

Trevor Goodchild on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    no I just mean they don't always think things through completely, not that I'm complaining about it heh.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    i have both Darkpromise shaman staffs now and they are both awful

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Mark Jacobs gets it. He really does.

Let me tell you a little secret, okay?
    THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS AN ASSHOLE!

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

another secret...
    it's not just the customer

WolveSight on
    253J736.png
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, after a 3 hour dungeon run that was buggy and unfun, I'm done with this game.

Let me know if it's any good in 6 months.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    XzeanXzean Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Seriously.

I specifically said I was talking about the Havoc branch. Havoc's only DoT until level 30 is Baleful Transmogrification. Aside from that it has Flickering Red Fire and Surging Violet Fire which are rather lackluster nukes.

Yeah sorry Ib I wasn't too clear there, I ment that you should take a look back into Changing and Daemon lines because of the changes.

Xzean on
    9df14c6e1e43475d.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008

another secret...
    it's not just the customer

Especially Ben Affleck.

Also, I have a confession to make; I love Tor Anroc and I love Bright Wizards. If you stay at the back of the lines, the IBs aren't too thick, and BWs allow you to accumulate kills pretty fast. The best is when the Ironbreakers split up and two run back to get you, allowing the rest of the line to push forward.

Good fun.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    CmdPrompt wrote: »
    Well, after a 3 hour dungeon run that was buggy and unfun, I'm done with this game.

You know, the dungeon runs to gunbad basically killed my guild.

I think there should be a warning like friends don't let friends raid dungeons in this game. At least in it's current form. PvP really is where it should always be at for large guild events and stuff.

In other news after a break that i had the magus I'm playing is a refreshing change of pace from my marauder. I'm hoping the changes tomorrow only add to that fun.

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hullabaloo wrote: »
    CmdPrompt wrote: »

You know, the dungeon runs to gunbad basically killed my guild.

I think there should be a warning like friends don't let friends raid dungeons in this game. At least in it's current form. PvP really is where it should always be at for large guild events and stuff.

In other news after a break that i had the magus I'm playing is a refreshing change of pace from my marauder. I'm hoping the changes tomorrow only add to that fun.

The problem is the endgame PvP isn't fun either. The run was really just the killing blow.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    We will miss you.

Can you mail all your goldz and itamz to Englund? Thanks<3

PS I have two unbound gaping skull masks. Think they would sell for texas on the AH?

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    starman, give one to me. If it's a matter of money, I'll be happy to give you a whole bunch of gold pieces for it.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Seriously.

Yeah sorry Ib I wasn't too clear there, I ment that you should take a look back into Changing and Daemon lines because of the changes.

Ah. Though wasn't Daemonology actually overall nerfed by the changes because Infernal Blast and the Blue Horror actually scale worse now?

If so, that really just leaves Changing. I'm specced Changing at the moment, but I do not really find it that particularly enjoyable. Perhaps after the patch I'll give it a shot though.

Iblis on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I know this might be better suited for say, the tech area, but since I'm looking to get a computer specifically for this game I think it's a good idea to ask here. To play this game with a decent frame rate, and with me being willing to turn things down for the rough stuff like ORvR, what kind of price range would I be looking at to build me a rig? I want to get a few opinions on this so I can try and ballpark how much I'll need to save.

Arthil on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    whats the real skinny
    I did not test them too indepth, but from what I personally discovered from testing with the rank 35 templates is that the career does have it's share of problems.

-Low Damage. This is a rather general complaint, and I felt it quite a bit myself, particularly as I had trouble taking down healers with the 50% Healing Debuff slotted (though it only debuffs healing done by the target, and I've heard some suggest it's bugged, so keep this in mind).
    Man, my White Lion can't kill healers if they focus on healing themselves. :(

Also, had this Black Orc in the T3 cemetary scenario last night that would. Not. Die. There were literally 5 damage dealers pounding on him (the match had just started and he was the only Destro there at that point) and the guy lost like 1 pixel of health a second. It took almost a full minute for him to die. Without healers around he could be fucking throwing axes at someone and they'd still die faster than he did.

Glal on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    whats the real skinny

Man, my White Lion can't kill healers if they focus on healing themselves. :(

Also, had this Black Orc in the T3 cemetary scenario last night that would. Not. Die. There were literally 5 damage dealers pounding on him (the match had just started and he was the only Destro there at that point) and the guy lost like 1 pixel of health a second. It took almost a full minute for him to die. Without healers around he could be fucking throwing axes at someone and they'd still die faster than he did.

That guy stacked toughness/wounds too! I like that guy.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
This discussion has been closed.