As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dial Q for the Question! (about Comics Thread)

• Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah I favour the metaphorical sticking my hands into my ears and shouting "LALALALALA" rather than putting too much thought into how Storm flys... because at the core it's completely insane and impractical. Lets all just pretend she can fly via the completely inexplicable way that most characters do.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    I got to thinking earlier, this might be a stupid discussion.

Two questions:

Just how fast would Storm be having to make the wind under her be to actually support her weight, let alone when she carries people?

Shouldn't a bird fly under her and get vacuumed straight up because of the wind? Why doesn't this situation occur?

It is a comic book silly! Who the hell cares?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well since he's asking the question obviously he does.

There's a book called "Science of the X-Men" I have no idea if it covers the question but it might be a place to look.

So if Captain Marvel is in space and calls down the lightning...what direction does it come from? Has he ever done that in space before?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's not that I care, it was more idle curiosity. I was just always curious with the whole "I fly with the wind, but we are not currently in a tornado which is really the only sufficient amount of wind that would make me fly like this!" thing.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Storm's power is actually the ability to make the weather do whatever she wants, even when it doesn't make sense.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    cyclops' optic blasts come from a laser universe

it is a universe made of lasers

his eyes are portals to it

this is why you never explain the science of how comic book characters work

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

You know what bugs me about that explanation of Cyclops' powers (which, I know, is technically canon)? His powers are also said to come from absorbing cosmic radiation, same as Havok (which is why their powers don't hurt each other, or even exert force on one another). So, what, does the cosmic radiation power the gateway in his eyes? And why would Havok be able to absorb the Laser universe inhabitants?

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Just stop, madness lies this way.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There is only 1 applicable law to comic book physics, and it serves as an answer to all these questions:

Because it's cool.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    While we're at it, I doubt you can fly by setting yourself on fire.

Also Science of the X-Men was a terrible book.

Scooter on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I can understand Iceman moving forward on the trails of ice he creates in the air. Forward momentum. But how does he turn? You'd think instead of traveling left or right with the track, he'd continue to go forward and skid off, falling to his death.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That one is easy... he always pitches them at an angle so he can take corners safely.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Yeah, that is beyond terrible. Analyzing stuff like this is an awful, fun-crushing, whimsy killing thing. It is horrible.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ahh but how come the ice bridge doesn't get to a certain length and then snap under it's own weight? Huh? Huh?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    virral I will punch you in the dick

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Colossus basically creates matter from nothing, which shouldn't even be possible even in the Marvel Universe. Unless it's a portal as well.

Also, when was this "Cyclops' eyes are portals" explained?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    please dudes, enough

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    What hath I wrought.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Colossus basically creates matter from nothing, which shouldn't even be possible even in the Marvel Universe. Unless it's a portal as well.

Also, when was this "Cyclops' eyes are portals" explained?

Science of the X-Men.

Horribly written book.

Scooter on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So eye portals never even made it into the comics?

Good. I strip eye portals of being canon. It has been decreed, we are free.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Do shapeshifters grab extra organic matter through a portal to a meat dimension?

That was the explanation the Animorphs books used for how the characters were able to increase and decrease their mass.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Do shapeshifters grab extra organic matter through a portal to a meat dimension?

That was the explanation the Animorphs books used for how the characters were able to increase and decrease their mass.

Somewhere, there is an owner of an interdimensional meat locker who is pissed.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Some like Mystique can't change their mass. I think it has been explicitly stated that the Hulk draws mass from a pocket dimension, possibly by drawing energy and converting it to mass.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Now that Sabretooth is dead, Wolverine's new arch-nemesis should be an irate butcher who's tired of having his cuts of meat erode every time Logan needs to grow a new leg.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Now that Sabretooth is dead, Wolverine's new arch-nemesis should be an irate butcher who's tired of having his cuts of meat erode every time Logan needs to grow a new leg.

This character should have an exaggerated Italian accent.

Faynor on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Though it goes some way to explaining the Pork Futures Warehouse in Ankh-Morpork.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    Some like Mystique can't change their mass.

Depends on who's writing her. She's done so several times, turning into a paper-thin human when BKV was writing her, and a little girl in the Manifest Destiny mini.

Bogart on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Servo wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    I think Punisher MAX exists in a sort-of-canon world. I think
    Microchip in the 616 universe has been brought back somehow by the Hood.

actually micro died in 616. a shield agent killed him after micro attempted to replace frank with a different punisher. that's presumably the micro brought back by the hood.

the micro in the MAX series was killed by frank himself and remains dead. also, MAX isn't in 616 continuity, though nick fury does make a couple significant appearances in the course of the book.

Although in the MAX series Frank thought that Micro was already dead for some unexplained reason. Perhaps killed by a sheild agent.

There' no point trying to fit the two continuities together, but there was a nice nod to it in one of those profile books Marvel does occaisionally (I think it was the Civil War one) where it says something along the lines of "it's as if Frank Castle lives in two worlds, slipping between them at will. One where he is routinely opposed by costumed superheroes and another where he is free to act against the criminal underworld as he wishes". It was kinda funny.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Depends on who's writing her. She's done so several times, turning into a paper-thin human when BKV was writing her, and a little girl in the Manifest Destiny mini.

She can change her size, it just means becoming more or less dense. There's a limit to how far she can push it though.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Servo wrote: »
    I think Punisher MAX exists in a sort-of-canon world. I think
    Microchip in the 616 universe has been brought back somehow by the Hood.

actually micro died in 616. a shield agent killed him after micro attempted to replace frank with a different punisher. that's presumably the micro brought back by the hood.

the micro in the MAX series was killed by frank himself and remains dead. also, MAX isn't in 616 continuity, though nick fury does make a couple significant appearances in the course of the book.

Although in the MAX series Frank thought that Micro was already dead for some unexplained reason. Perhaps killed by a sheild agent.

There' no point trying to fit the two continuities together, but there was a nice nod to it in one of those profile books Marvel does occaisionally (I think it was the Civil War one) where it says something along the lines of "it's as if Frank Castle lives in two worlds, slipping between them at will. One where he is routinely opposed by costumed superheroes and another where he is free to act against the criminal underworld as he wishes". It was kinda funny.

Apprehending Frank is pretty futile. He just ends up killing everyone in prison and breaking out. Due to their moral codes, the heroes are essentially powerless to stop him.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

She can change her size, it just means becoming more or less dense. There's a limit to how far she can push it though.

The BKV thing had her keeping her size, just becoming paper thin and incredibly light, so she changed her mass as well as shape. It was to ride out a blast and float to earth. Or something.

Bogart on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If she becomes paper thin her size has changed. I mean, unless she made up for it by turning really wide and tall.

Which'd make sense if she was trying to float back to earth or whatever, as it'd reduce her terminal velocity, I guess, since she'd have a larger surface area. Or something.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If a writer does have her change her mass (I don't remember that scene at all) then that writer fucked up.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If she becomes paper thin her size has changed. I mean, unless she made up for it by turning really wide and tall.

Which'd make sense if she was trying to float back to earth or whatever, as it'd reduce her terminal velocity, I guess, since she'd have a larger surface area. Or something.

I meant size as in height, width, etc.

Bogart on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Which is of course the definition of size.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Which is of course the definition of size.

What I said was a little unclear. I then clarified it. Enter pedantic guy being pedantic. Surprising!

Bogart on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

This is possibly the best thing I have ever read.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    AibynAibyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Whats the name of the DC series where one of the panels show Blue Beetle and Booster Gold running a away from a steroided out Martian Manhunter while in the foreground Max Lord gets a nose bleed from trying to make people not see/remember them passing by?

I know its been posted before, somewhere, I can picture it in my head, but i cant remember. I figure it is somewhat not a normal series as it mainly takes a more light-hearted look at the DC universe?

Aibyn on
    "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..."

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)
    11737_c4020a74dc025a53.png
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's in Martian Manhunter's own book (Vol 2 #24, fact fans) but was from the Justice League International era.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    AibynAibyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ahh! Thank you!

Aibyn on
    "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..."

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)
    11737_c4020a74dc025a53.png
This discussion has been closed.