Options

QUIT POSTING IN ME

• Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Prohass wrote: »
    Some wastelander guy was running away from a robot, I killed the robot, and he said to me "That Enclave stash is mine, you stay away from it!" I was like, ah ok sure pal. But being the excited idiot I am I followed him as he ran off, apparently he didnt take too kindly to this and turned and shot at me. I got bad karma for blowing his head off.

I wonder what the hell he was on about.

I had something similar. Wasteland Scavenger was standing over a Protectron husk, and when I went over to talk, he said "Find your own robot to scavenge!" pulled out his gun, and started shooting at me. Also came across a pack of mercs that were triplets, and told me about Oasis. As soon as they were done telling me about it, they were all "and now that you know about it, we'll have to kill you." Charon... uh... didn't take kindly to that.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Vray wrote: »
    So apparently you can get the unique items worn by NPC's like Vance's longcoat or 3dog's headband without killing them. You just have to give them (via pickpocket) armor with a higher dr and the next time you enter the area they'll have changed into that armor so you can now pickpocket the other off of them.

Suddenly I'm imagining Lucas Simms guarding Megaton in full-blown Tesla Armor with a Fatman.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Vray wrote: »
    So apparently you can get the unique items worn by NPC's like Vance's longcoat or 3dog's headband without killing them. You just have to give them (via pickpocket) armor with a higher dr and the next time you enter the area they'll have changed into that armor so you can now pickpocket the other off of them.

Suddenly I'm imagining Lucas Simms guarding Megaton in full-blown Tesla Armor with a Fatman.

The really funny thing is giving the people in Big Town a bunch of Power Armor and awesome weapons. I wish they wouldn't bitch about how hard they have it now.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I had a LOT of "Charisma" and "intelligence" ones and a few "Karma" ones

I took black widow, and while worth it for the damage bonus I suppose, it has only come into play about three times in conversation and one time it seemed to glitch the quest in question.
    Black Widow seems like it would be much more useful than Lady Killer, simply because it seems like most of your enemies are male (enclave grunts are always male, for instance, although the officers are not) and 10% is actually a pretty good increase.

The other aspect - extra dialogue options - doesn't come into play much, though, and when it does it's usually just a shortcut to something else you probably could have done anyway, through hacking or lockpicking. So, if you're not good in either of those skills, it's probably good to have, but if you are it might be better just to get another perk.

Having a high charisma or intelligence did open up a lot of options for me, and I've heard that strength can, too, although mine is usually too low to tell. I don't know about other SPECIAL attributes, though. I can't imagine that having a high Endurance is going to change a lot for you, conversation-wise.

Duffel on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    The really funny thing is giving the people in Big Town a bunch of Power Armor and awesome weapons. I wish they wouldn't bitch about how hard they have it now.
    Well if nobody there knows how to fix the armor you certainly didn't do them any favors! D:

Red: Here come the supermutants! Let's go!
    Bittercup: *creeeeak* I'm stuck.
    Red: ...me too.
    *death*

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Black Widow/Lady Killer isn't very useful. Places where you can use them according to the Wiki:
    If you are Male:

* Nova in Megaton will provide you with the password to Moriartys terminal.
    * The vampire girl in the Blood Ties quest will provide you with the password to Ian West's cell.
    * You can talk the AntAgonizer into stopping her attacks on the town and fighting Mechanist. You also get her costume.
    * You can talk Fantasia into stealing Dukov's key for the You Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head quest.
    * You can talk Agatha into giving you ammo to help you during the Agatha's Song quest.

If you are female:

* You can talk the Ronald Laren in the Nuka-Cola Challenge quest into a threesome (He always seems to end up dead just inside the door to the Nuka-Cola factory if you do this).
    * You can talk Burke in Megaton into leaving with you and getting someone else to blow up the bomb, or give up on the bomb entirely.
    * You can talk Karl (during the Blood Ties quest) into giving you the password to Ian West's room.
    * You can talk Mechanist into stop fighting his nemesis, the AntAgonizer. You also get his costume.
    * You can talk Dukov out of his key without paying for it for the You Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head quest.
    Nothing very useful.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Well if nobody there knows how to fix the armor you certainly didn't do them any favors! D:

Red: Here come the supermutants! Let's go!
    Bittercup: *creeeeak* I'm stuck.
    Red: ...me too.
    *death*

I'm pretty usre there's a guy who can repair your stuff in Big Town.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Come to think of it, I should have given them a shitload of stimpacks.

Couscous on
  • Options
    AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    my hugest complaint being:

(this is a REAL spoiler btw so don't read it if you don't want some spoilin)
    The constant use of radiation as a plot device when you have anti-radiation armor, anti radiation drugs, anti-radiation drugs, and three followers who are immune to radiation.

Oh, you're locked in a reactor? Hold on LET ME SEND MY GHOUL SLAVE IN TO GET YOU HE COULD USE THE BUFF o wait no LET ME SEND MY SUPER MUTANT IN TO GET YOU but wait it can't be in your party yet HOW BOUT MY ROBOT oh no I don't have neutral karma WELL LETS JUST PUT ON THIS RADSUIT/BROTHERHOOD ARMOR/ENCLAVE ARMOR and pop a little RAD-X no?

Jesus what the fuck?

This has been driving me nuts as well. Particularly (ending spoiler)
    The end of the final mission, when you have to turn on the purifier. Everyone's all "lethal levels of radiation in there, you're not going to live for more than a few seconds"

Fawkes was standing right there, and we'd just specifically covered the fact that he was all but immune to radiation less than twenty minutes ago, when he got the GECK for me. But apparently he's not feeling helpful? I don't know.

So I pop a Rad-X and put on my radiation suit, I'm sitting on a good 80% rad resistance. I'm in there, enterin' in the code, "oh no radiation you haven't got much time", and I'm thinking "It's cool, I'm only taking like 8 rads a second in here, I started with practically none and on top of that I'm sitting on a giant stash of Rad-Away. You guys are pussies" and then I just suddenly and mysteriously die after entering the code, even though all I had to do to reach safety was somehow take about ten steps within ten or fifteen minutes.

Bullshit, I call that.

Abbalah on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Black Widow/Lady Killer isn't very useful. Places where you can use them according to the Wiki:
    If you are Male:

* Nova in Megaton will provide you with the password to Moriartys terminal.
    * The vampire girl in the Blood Ties quest will provide you with the password to Ian West's cell.
    * You can talk the AntAgonizer into stopping her attacks on the town and fighting Mechanist. You also get her costume.
    * You can talk Fantasia into stealing Dukov's key for the You Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head quest.
    * You can talk Agatha into giving you ammo to help you during the Agatha's Song quest.

If you are female:

* You can talk the Ronald Laren in the Nuka-Cola Challenge quest into a threesome (He always seems to end up dead just inside the door to the Nuka-Cola factory if you do this).
    * You can talk Burke in Megaton into leaving with you and getting someone else to blow up the bomb, or give up on the bomb entirely.
    * You can talk Karl (during the Blood Ties quest) into giving you the password to Ian West's room.
    * You can talk Mechanist into stop fighting his nemesis, the AntAgonizer. You also get his costume.
    * You can talk Dukov out of his key without paying for it for the You Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head quest.
    Nothing very useful.
    I'm not even sure if those are guaranteed - Fantasia never offered to do shit for me during the key quest. But then again, it's a level 2 perk with no stat requirements you can pick up as soon as you crawl out of the vault, so I guess you really can't expect too much. It does at least add a little bit of gameplay variety if you get it, which is more than Little Leaguer or Gun Nut has going for it.

Of course, you can also get Intense Training at level 2, which always struck me as kind of broken, especially if you use it ten fucking times. Does anybody else think that perk should have been put off until level 10 or something?

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The Child at Heart perks is nearly useless. Not only that, it is unlocked at the same level Comprehension and Educated are unlocked.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Abbalah wrote: »
    my hugest complaint being:

(this is a REAL spoiler btw so don't read it if you don't want some spoilin)
    The constant use of radiation as a plot device when you have anti-radiation armor, anti radiation drugs, anti-radiation drugs, and three followers who are immune to radiation.

Oh, you're locked in a reactor? Hold on LET ME SEND MY GHOUL SLAVE IN TO GET YOU HE COULD USE THE BUFF o wait no LET ME SEND MY SUPER MUTANT IN TO GET YOU but wait it can't be in your party yet HOW BOUT MY ROBOT oh no I don't have neutral karma WELL LETS JUST PUT ON THIS RADSUIT/BROTHERHOOD ARMOR/ENCLAVE ARMOR and pop a little RAD-X no?

Jesus what the fuck?

This has been driving me nuts as well. Particularly (ending spoiler)
    The end of the final mission, when you have to turn on the purifier. Everyone's all "lethal levels of radiation in there, you're not going to live for more than a few seconds"

Fawkes was standing right there, and we'd just specifically covered the fact that he was all but immune to radiation less than twenty minutes ago, when he got the GECK for me. But apparently he's not feeling helpful? I don't know.

So I pop a Rad-X and put on my radiation suit, I'm sitting on a good 80% rad resistance. I'm in there, enterin' in the code, "oh no radiation you haven't got much time", and I'm thinking "It's cool, I'm only taking like 8 rads a second in here, I started with practically none and on top of that I'm sitting on a giant stash of Rad-Away. You guys are pussies" and then I just suddenly and mysteriously die after entering the code, even though all I had to do to reach safety was somehow take about ten steps within ten or fifteen minutes.

Bullshit, I call that.

That was my only real complaint about the game. I thought it was incredibly lame, but I see what they were going for, and it wasn't enough to ruin the whole game for me. I have a feeling, especially since they've confirmed the release of the mod tools, that I'll play this game no less than 10 more times and never follow the main quest very far again.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Spoit wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    rant

So..umm.. did you even play oblivion and/or expect anything different?

I honestly did not expect it to be essentially oblivion gameplay set in the fallout universe.
    stigweard wrote: »
    In addition, it seems like the put in exactly 0 effort in improving the interface for the PC. The pip-boy mouse is too slow and can't be adjusted, which makes the already unhelpful interface even more clunky. Hey, I have a keyboard, why can't I just press keys to get quests, maps, inventory, etc? And maybe this is another realism annoyance, but having your inventory be a long monochromatic list of text items is just not very compelling.

Mouse sensitivity in the menus is tied to overall mouse sensitivity and is changeable in the settings. f1 opens status, f2 opens inventory, f3 opens quests. 1 - 8 are quick keys that you can load just abotu anything consumable or wearable into. There is plenty there for the keyboard interface, and if you don't like it you can plug in the 360 controller and get the full 360 interface.

If I make the mouse sensitivity good for the menus it will be way too high for the game. Also they did not make the shortcut keys obvious at all. They put in some token amount of effort to make it friendly to PCs but as far as PC interfaces go I found it cumbersome.
    Shoegaze99 wrote: »
    Some quests bug out and are unfinishable, which means you need to re-do 2 hours of playtime. There's no backup autosaves or quicksaves.
    You know you can save the game on your own, right? Press a button, save the game?

Yeah. Though other modern games don't punish a player for failing to perform a mindless chore that it should be doing in the first place.
    You obviously don't have it on the right radio channel.

The radio channels I had seemed to loop very quickly, so I just turned them off after a couple times around.
    The skill cap system is just brutally unhelpful, letting you take perks that do absolutely nothing to a skill, and not giving you any warning. And rewarding people who max out a skill by making books, items and perks that increase the skill entirely useless.
    The game fucking tells you that.

It didn't tell me that. After maxing out big guns it let me pick Size Matters and said absolutely nothing about the cap.
    Also I decided to level speech as my main non-combat skill and it screwed me over hardcore. I think I had 6 successes during the entire game. I wish I had just ignored it.
    You must just suck at this game. I have had plenty of speech successes and the vast majority of the stuff that requires speech will give you an extremely high success chance at 70 or 80.

Yeah and I kept getting failures on critical speech checks when I had an 87% chance of success. Yeah I had a lot of opportunities to squeeze 50 extra caps out of someone but I really don't care about that. Also apparently I "succeeded" my speech check at the end of the game, but for some reason Fallout 3 decided to act like I had failed it. I guess I just suck at passing random number checks and not running into bugs?
    But if you're playing a game that is very much defined by wandering through the bleak wastes of a post-apocalyptic world, complaining that the game has you wandering through the bleak wastes of a post-apocalyptic world seems sort of "then why did you play the game in the first place if this is an issue for you," you know? It's not as if the game's content and setting were some great big secret.

Atmosphere in a game isn't everything. For instance I'm not a huge fan of the zombie apocalypse setting, but I simply love Left 4 Dead. Avoiding the game just because of one factor is kind of stupid. It's quite easy for me to imagine a game in this setting that I would adore. Like if they fixed the waypoint indicators to make it easier to get around (like in Bioshock), streamlined the interface a bit, maybe gave you access to a beat-up but still working motorcycle at some point, or simply made the game less buggy.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah. Though other modern games don't punish a player for failing to perform a mindless chore that it should be doing in the first place.
    You must not play many western RPGs.
    simply made the game less buggy.
    The game is quite bug free compared to most other games in the genre.
    Yeah and I kept getting failures on critical speech checks when I had an 87% chance of success.
    87 percent chance is not the same as 100 percent chance. Of course you will get some failures. If it bothers you that much, just reload and do it over.

Couscous on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    "hay guys this quest should totally have clear save points before every boss chamber telling you when to save"

RandomEngy maybe it isn't your intent but you end up sounding like a disgruntled JRPG afficianado complaining about how western RPGs operate.

Pony on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I maintain that Lady Killer/Black Widow should've either been combined, or they should've given flat bonus to Speech as well as guaranteeing those very rare perk-based successes. If LK/BW gave 10% to Speech as well as the special instances and the damage bonuses, it'd be less terrible. Of course it's a level 2 perk as mentioned, but meh.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    "hay guys this quest should totally have clear save points before every boss chamber telling you when to save"

RandomEngy maybe it isn't your intent but you end up sounding like a disgruntled JRPG afficianado complaining about how western RPGs operate.

Fallout 3 doesn't even really have bosses. The only things I can think of are ant queens, but they're pretty easy to kill.

Fallout 1 and 2 had more bosses.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Frank Horrigan adkjgasgadasdaf

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hell yeah, someone mentioned that there should've been Enclave Special Agents complete with their own VATS abilities and the idea of facing a full-3D Horrigan is incredibly badass.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Hell yeah, someone mentioned that there should've been Enclave Special Agents complete with their own VATS abilities and the idea of facing a full-3D Horrigan is incredibly badass.

As soon as a decent Enclave Special Agent model is created by the community, I'm going to make an alternate ending sequence for Fallout 3. It's going to be rad. 8-)

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Black Widow and Lady Killer also give you a 10% damage bonus against your opposite gender, which is kind of useful.

Craigopogo on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh, speaking of which, anyone use their own background music while playing Fallout 3?

Mock me if you will, but NiN's Ghosts I-IV is fucking perfect for this game. Got moody atmospheric piano tracks for wandering, got high intensity tracks for fighting...it's awesome.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just made it to the citadel, is there anyone to trade with there?

And where the hell is the guy who can train me to wear power armor?

tofu on
  • Options
    LamoidLamoid Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    tofu wrote: »
    I just made it to the citadel, is there anyone to trade with there?

And where the hell is the guy who can train me to wear power armor?

Man, that guy was a bitch for me to find as well, he should be walking around the main courtyard where all the initiates are training.

Lamoid on
    Laymoid.gif
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wallhitter wrote: »
    Oh, speaking of which, anyone use their own background music while playing Fallout 3?

Mock me if you will, but NiN's Ghosts I-IV is fucking perfect for this game. Got moody atmospheric piano tracks for wandering, got high intensity tracks for fighting...it's awesome.

That's exactly what I thought too. When the GECK comes out, I want to make a Ghosts I radio station mod.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    regarding the whole "family" thing. i almost knew right away at the entrance that there was going to be some emo vamp crap, so i just threw dialogue to the wind and went in shooting.

then i lost karma for that, bull crap
    so then after i completed the mission and talked to the kid, i shot that little fucker too

karma that you bitch, i am still so good i get paladin ranking

only happy people are allowed to live in my fallout world

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    simply made the game less buggy.
    The game is quite bug free compared to most other games in the genre.

Great. I still hit a bug that prevented me from finishing a quest. And since I was just quicksaving for a while beforehand, whoops, haha you can't go back and fix it. And the endgame speech bug, and the crashes meant I ran into a lot more bugs than most other RPGs/open world games I've played. Perhaps it is possible to play through the game without ever experiencing a bug! However this means absolutely nothing to me.
    Yeah and I kept getting failures on critical speech checks when I had an 87% chance of success.
    87 percent chance is not the same as 100 percent chance. Of course you will get some failures. If it bothers you that much, just reload and do it over.

You can't. If you save right beforehand and talk you get the same outcome every time. Except sometimes it changes if you save far enough beforehand. Whoops, I guess that's another bug. Also even if I had succeeded on every check it still would have been far less useful than, say, lockpicking.
    Pony wrote: »

Uhh no, not at all. Saving is instantaneous. All I'm asking is to keep a few autosaves around in case your crazy game decides to bug out on me. This is really just common sense, not JRPG devotion; I really don't know where that idea came from.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The game autosaves every time you go through a door, sleep, or fast-travel. I dunno how they can get more comprehensive than that, unless you want it to keep 3 or 4 autosaves.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, keeping a few autosaves back would definitely help.

RandomEngy on
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So, Vault 106. I'm surprised there is no quest attached, though I enjoyed the place regardless.
    It's pretty cool. Very atmospheric. The tussle you get in at the very bottom with the doctor dude, when in your head you're fighting the bullies from 101, is wild.

So yeah, really cool. It was the first place I explored after getting to Megaton.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The game autosaves every time you go through a door, sleep, or fast-travel. I dunno how they can get more comprehensive than that, unless you want it to keep 3 or 4 autosaves.

The game really needs a timed autosave, I lost almost an hour the other day because I didn't enter any buildings, I was just wandering around the waste, and it crashed.

tofu on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So, Vault 106. I'm surprised there is no quest attached, though I enjoyed the place regardless.
    It's pretty cool. Very atmospheric. The tussle you get in at the very bottom with the doctor dude, when in your head you're fighting the bullies from 101, is wild.

So yeah, really cool. It was the first place I explored after getting to Megaton.

i was surprised that that place didnt have a quest attached to it

Barcardi on
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

You can't. If you save right beforehand and talk you get the same outcome every time. Except sometimes it changes if you save far enough beforehand. Whoops, I guess that's another bug. Also even if I had succeeded on every check it still would have been far less useful than, say, lockpicking.
    You can. I've saved immediately before talking to people -- like, standing right in their face -- and have had my results change upon reload and retry. In fact, I did exactly that less than 12 hours ago on two different people in a row.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well then I was just proper screwed when I failed a 70% check 10 times in a row.

RandomEngy on
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    RandomEngy wrote:
    Well then I was just proper screwed when I failed a 70% check 10 times in a row.

What was your charisma stat, speech skill and karma rating?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and luck - what was your luck stat at?

Operative21 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

The god of statistics just hates you.

Couscous on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've had that same experience. Sometimes the RNG just decides to screw with you. I countered the screwing with bullets.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think it does something many RPGs and similar do with behind the scenes numbers, it probably secretly rolls a few numbers in advance then picks from them. It likely saves these and so saving/reloading may not always give a different result if it's saved a pretty crappy number beforehand.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah...sometimes I failed a 80% chance five times in a row, sometimes I get a 15% chance on my first try.

Just probability, man.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I can understand RandomEngy's complaints about the bugs. They can be frustrating. I had to do a quest over again because of it. And now, I might not be able to play the game as a female because of one(the glitch I mentioned previously in this thread). Because of a deal with Microsoft, the only way for me to fix it is to wait for a special version of the game that might come out after the DCLs have been around for awhile. So yes, I understand the frustration about bugs.

Edit: The talk about the RNG and random numbers reminds me of Fire Emblem. Nothing is more frustrating than being nailed by a 1% crit with 32% hit percentage.

never die on
This discussion has been closed.