Options

Mysteries are Solved in this [Chat]

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    I really don't want to know that those people exist. I'm just curious as to what such a person would be like. I thought that you could have been the answer.
    Hardstyle? I'm pretty sure the local neonazis are into that. They are always looking for the loudest computer music with no soul, I think it reminds them of the emptiness of their heart.

This is entirely possible. Hardstyle is pretty much empty and loud.

Did I just answer your question, then? I can be more descriptive...I've spent enough time on the local football fields and in the local clubs to be able to describe the racist young assholes more thoroughly. :P

No it's okay. I'm pretty sure there are no "real people" who listen to hardstyle casually and your assertion affirms this notion. So all is well in my land of milk and honey.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    What the fuck is all that.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNfQ0ORwSDM

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Garth Marenghi was terrible. Sorry Spec.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    What the fuck is all that.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNfQ0ORwSDM

Isn't that the asshole computer tech from The Office (UK)?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Doesn't matter. Bad adult swim live action.

It sure ain't tim and eric.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Garth Marenghi was terrible. Sorry Spec.

Oh my gosh, it was hilarious.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    I for one am glad that Oboro is still with us.
    I'm not a bad poster when I'm not being absolutely retarded, am I? I like to think I bring a certain something, in the same sense that Drez is irreplaceable and brings a certain nothing. Well, not that he contributes nothing, but his ... something ... his shtick, I mean ... like, the whole point is that he says nothing. Right? Am I doing this right?

Has Podly ever made a thread about Drez? Podly should make a thread about Drez.

EDIT: dang elm that was uncanny

You're like a poster of New Kids On The Block.

I keep you on my wall and jerk off to you once in a while.

Wait...
    Man me too.

But yeah Irene left because of you.

She didn't leave because of me. Keep your jealous lies to yourself, heathen.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    We should all [chat] on ventrillo. I have my mic out because of L4D. I am bored. This is a fantastic idea.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008

D:

Tim and Eric is horrible. Also, it wasn't made for Adult Swim, they just bought the episodes.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I for one am glad that Oboro is still with us.
    I'm not a bad poster when I'm not being absolutely retarded, am I? I like to think I bring a certain something, in the same sense that Drez is irreplaceable and brings a certain nothing. Well, not that he contributes nothing, but his ... something ... his shtick, I mean ... like, the whole point is that he says nothing. Right? Am I doing this right?

Has Podly ever made a thread about Drez? Podly should make a thread about Drez.

EDIT: dang elm that was uncanny

You're like a poster of New Kids On The Block.

I keep you on my wall and jerk off to you once in a while.

Wait...
    Man me too.

But yeah Irene left because of you.

She didn't leave because of me. Keep your jealous lies to yourself, heathen.

I'm not jealous. I tried to set the two of you up on a date but she just wouldn't have it. I do not mean to speak of the end but if my voice my boom with the dirge of the apocalypse then so be it.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008

D:

Tim and Eric is horrible. Also, it wasn't made for Adult Swim, they just bought the episodes.

That's the thing though, Tim and Eric his hilarious.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Holy shit I think....I think I've just worked out a cultural influences reason for differences in female life sciences choices. And I think it's backed up by the data.

Where the hell is cat when I need her.

Or anyone who does feminist studies?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Today I learned not to compare things that I'm trying to explain to other things that the person I'm trying to explain them to also doesn't understand.

japan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Holy shit I think....I think I've just worked out a cultural influences reason for differences in female life sciences choices. And I think it's backed up by the data.

You can ask me.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    japan wrote: »
    Today I learned not to compare things that I'm trying to explain to other things that the person I'm trying to explain them to also doesn't understand.

That's difficult to understand even as an abstract sentence let alone in application.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Dude.

Weak.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

That's difficult to understand even as an abstract sentence let alone in application.

His grammar is a bit weird but he's saying that he just learned, just now, that he can't relate something to someone by using a foreign point of reference. It's like trying to explain oranges to someone by comparing them to apples when the person doesn't even know what a fruit is to begin with.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Exactly! But I think instead of saying Fruit it would be more correct to say apples.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    For some reason I just want to scream about how much I didn't like Quantum of Solace.

I'm settling for being satisfied with no one really seeming to care about Australia the movie.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

:raises hand:

As a former paragon and continuing student of the gender war, I am well-informed and also intrigued.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    :< I'm waiting for lady friend to come online, because she had exams and didn't feel well and I wanna know how she's doing. I could call her but that costs 0.75eu/minute and that would just be weird to throw so much money at asking someone I've never met IRL what's up.

Why must calling from one European country to the next be so prohibitively expensive? :(

Maybe I should text her later. I don't like worrying about stuff.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

You can ask me.

Okay.

Firstly, there were none, zero, no significant differences in male vs female general intelligence measures. So it can't be that mvsf are dumber smarter. At all.

So with that in mind:

We found significant gender differences in all measures of our knowledge in sciences measures and these differences favoured males (Math, Chemistry, Physics, Info Tech) except for Biology, where there was no difference. In the humanities, no difference except for Social Sciences, against a life science related high school subject, and this one favoured females.

This study also investigated some personality and interest (so motivation) factors and unexpectedly found a female increase in "investigative", a motivational factor.

But, I noticed 50% of the investigative questions were related to Biological terms instead of "investigation" type terms. So not properly randomised "sciency" terms in the questions.

So I went looking and found some studies indicating gender preferences even from an early age in subject choice for females to life sciences and males to physical sciences. Only all the ones I found are american.

There's more to this, a lot more but.

Well it's taken me like four weeks to understand this fully so that'd be a long post.

What I want is you to trust me and tell me where I can look for more information on theories of social influences on australian/american women. Ones saying they are similar would be great.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Also, I was compelled to wash up and then put my hair in pigtails. That was God talking to me, right?

:converts to ... uh ... whichever of the Abrahamics is funnier here:

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

His grammar is a bit weird but he's saying that he just learned, just now, that he can't relate something to someone by using a foreign point of reference. It's like trying to explain oranges to someone by comparing them to apples when the person doesn't even know what a fruit is to begin with.

Yes. Sorry. I typed that immediately after trying to condense a three hundred year old conflict to a couple of paragraphs.

japan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Yes. Sorry. I typed that immediately after trying to condense a three hundred year old conflict to a couple of paragraphs.

No, I understood it. I just meant it wasn't immediately salient so that right there is an indication that practically applying it wouldn't work either.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    RAAAAARGH.etc. i am quite fucked up

prerequisite image as of last drunken [chat]
    IMG00199-1.jpg

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    and like. everybody who isn't cool with every time i die. should be. as i have reminded myself of their awesome.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    DUE you look like you're on 'roids in that picture

are you on 'roids

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited November 2008

As a former paragon and continuing student of the gender war, I am well-informed and also intrigued.

I'd love to hear what you say as well.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    DUE you look like you're on 'roids in that picture

are you on 'roids

no. i wish. then i'd weigh 145 as i should.

just adderall and booooze

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    How can I test if both of my lungs are working.

Is there some kind of test? Besides breathing?

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I'd love to hear what you say as well.
    Oh, you asked for some studies, I am still trying to find the hyperlinks

I don't have anything to say aside from the fact it's an idea I've heard before, so I do know that there are studies extant and available, it's just far enough from my usual stable of papers that I cite that I need to actually find them :P

though I'm looking for the authors instead, actually

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Do you run at all? Go for a run and see how your results compare to your usual results.

Also Morninglord I can't say anything completely informative because I believe that gender is for the most part a social construct.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I have no idea. Does one side of your torso inflate less if one of your lungs isn't working?

Though, if one of your lungs had deflated, I think you'd know.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Do you run at all? Go for a run and see how your results compare to your usual results.

Also Morninglord I can't say anything completely informative because I believe that gender is for the most part a social construct.

There's a penis joke in there somewhere, but I'm not gonna waste my time finding it.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    also ML I'm getting a ton of small but relevant papers (mostly just the raw statistics that other papers would be citing) on Google Scholar, so check there if you haven't already

I'm using "gender 'life science*'" as my search term

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If one of your lungs was seriously fucked, you'd know. You wouldn't be around thinking "maybe there's something wrong".

Like when I poisoned myself with laboratory chemicals. I wasn't really sitting around thinking "is something wrong?" - well I was, but then I looked in the mirror and said "oh fuck".

This should be a sticky in H/A - Is your question medical? Is it obvious there's a problem? No? Then there probably isn't. Stop looking things up on the internet.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    This is actually a pretty decent movie.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    This is actually a pretty decent movie.

What are you watching?

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Alecthar wrote: »

There's a penis joke in there somewhere, but I'm not gonna waste my time finding it.

It's in your butt.

and i'm gonna put it there.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.