As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

AC:City Folk - Serena is a dirty dirty whore

• Options
    wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yea, sounds like a tarantula. Scorpions have a reddish color to them. I believe they both rattle when they walk, and scorpions will charge at you and try to sting you. I've been stung twice trying to catch one.

wusoldjr on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, tarantulas and scorpions are bitches. They run away from you (almost always towards water...) unless you have your net out -- at which point they attack you. Along with a couple of rare beetles those two fuckers are the only things I have left to catch of what's available; hell, I've yet to even see a scorpion. My usual summer nemesis, the banded dragonfly, went down pretty easily this time.

On the subject of bugs, my wife bought this for me (as my "con present") while she was at Otacon last weekend:

abi349683474357834.jpg

She absolutely loves the "oh, hoo..." expression on him.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just started playing again after not playing since, oh, december.

It is really fun to get 10 new fish and bugs in a night.

It seems like there are fewer house expansions in city folk, is that true or I am misremembering WW?

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It is true, but in CF you aren't theoretically sharing one house among four people.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, I really need some folks to come over to my town. I want fruit!

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Does anyone have a Styracho Skull and/or a Pachycephalosaur Skull? My exhibit is short these two skulls.

wusoldjr on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    jonxp wrote: »

Will you be around today between like 6:30 and 11 EDT? I have all 5 fruits and you can come get some if you like. Just let me know when you will be around and I will make sure I am playing and have my town gates open. What is your info?

Kistra on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Kistra wrote: »
    jonxp wrote: »

Will you be around today between like 6:30 and 11 EDT? I have all 5 fruits and you can come get some if you like. Just let me know when you will be around and I will make sure I am playing and have my town gates open. What is your info?

Oh man, today is awful. I will have to get back to you, but I'll say something here if I can hop on.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Maybe tonight I'll reorganize my friend list... most of the people I have on there are no longer active (in this thread, at least).

Anyone who wants in let me know. I have all fruits at my disposal, a literal pile of gyroids taking up space in front of my gate, nearly a full set of Mario items I don't want, and more fossils than any sane human being should need (my own wing being completed some time ago). I even have a few duplicate paintings for those who can provide one the wife and I haven't picked up yet.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Yeah, tarantulas and scorpions are bitches. They run away from you (almost always towards water...) unless you have your net out -- at which point they attack you. Along with a couple of rare beetles those two fuckers are the only things I have left to catch of what's available; hell, I've yet to even see a scorpion. My usual summer nemesis, the banded dragonfly, went down pretty easily this time.

On the subject of bugs, my wife bought this for me (as my "con present") while she was at Otacon last weekend:

abi349683474357834.jpg

That is awesome; is it official merch, or fanmade?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

abi349683474357834.jpg

That is awesome; is it official merch, or fanmade?

Official merch. I was looking at the Hello Kitty plushies in the dealer's room on Sunday and he was hanging just above them. I also got him a KK Slider plushie at Nekocon last year.

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • Options
    AggrilAggril Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Which painting is it that you still need, Vyolence? I've got a few duplicate paintings myself, though Blathers isn't telling me whether or not they're forgeries since he's already got an example in the museum.

I'm still missing several bugs that I should be able to catch around here. I've spotted a Birdwing butterfly and a Tarantula, but both managed to escape me via the ocean, darn em. I lucked out and spotted a Scorpion on one of the bridges twice- the first time I caught it, the second time it spotted me first and I got stung.

And I've given up turnip buying for now, since I'm making far more bells going bug hunting at night and fishing. I had one night where my town was apparently overrun by rainbow stag beetles- that was a most profitable night. :D

Aggril on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I think something might be wrong with my town. I spent three hours today on a nice sunny early to mid afternoon and didn't see a single butterly. Not even a little white common butterfly or a yellow butterfly.

Are all butterflies rare in this version? Did I just have a bad afternoon?

Kistra on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Aggril wrote: »
    Which painting is it that you still need, Vyolence? I've got a few duplicate paintings myself, though Blathers isn't telling me whether or not they're forgeries since he's already got an example in the museum.

I haven't bothered checking a list. I think we're missing 8 or 9.

And while Blathers isn't any help, Tom Nook is. Try selling him a painting (one at a time): if it's fake, he'll let you know and take it off your hands for 10 bells; if it's real, he'll offer you about 450 bells (which you then turn down, obv.).

I'm still missing several bugs that I should be able to catch around here. I've spotted a Birdwing butterfly and a Tarantula, but both managed to escape me via the ocean, darn em. I lucked out and spotted a Scorpion on one of the bridges twice- the first time I caught it, the second time it spotted me first and I got stung.

Man, I got Zerg rushed by a scorpion last night. It hid behind a tree and I thought I lost it; took out my net and ZOOM~!

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Aha! Thanks for the advice about Tom Nook- now I can finally figure out if those three extra paintings I have are real or not. Well, once Nookway reopens, anyway. Darn raccoons.

Kistra, do you have a lot of flowers in your town? Flowers are what attract butterflies more than anything. Though I'll note that I've only recently seen butterflies flying around my town in the morning and evening hours, so maybe despite what all the guides say, butterflies aren't as common during summer afternoons?

Scorpions are evil. One attacked me just now while I was on the way to my house to save. It stung me like ten feet from my front door! Darn bloodthirsty little monster bugs, those things are.

Aggril on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So, the Dolphin models are supposed to be available now, but mine hasn't shown up yet. Anyone else having the same problem?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I have some flowers but not tons. I started playing again after several months off about a week ago. But I have a Nookington's and bought all the flowers there every day this week. Must not be enough. I did see one butterfly today but it was on the other side of the river and I couldn't find it when I got back around there.

I got my dolphin model directly from Pete but I don't know if that helps you at all or not.

Kistra on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'd just keep loading up your town with flowers and checking in the morning, Kistra. Though again, I've noticed that I haven't seen quite so many butterflies in my own town lately.

And Nook offered me 490 bells each for all three of my extra paintings, so if anyone needs the Worthy, Nice, or Quaint paintings, I have spares. I'd be especially interested if anyone has an extra Mario theme wallpaper to trade for them.

Aggril on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Pete finally came by with my model earlier... and I didn't have an empty slot at the start-up. And after I dumped a letter (why is the Happy Room Academy spamming me with letters yesterday and today?), he still wouldn't give it to me until I saved and restarted.

On another note, how often does the bank send you a letter saying you've accrued interest? Seems like it's been forever, and I wanted to receive my next one before I set out to spending it.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    On another note, how often does the bank send you a letter saying you've accrued interest?

First day of every month.

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'd just keep loading up your town with flowers and checking in the morning, Kistra. Though again, I've noticed that I haven't seen quite so many butterflies in my own town lately.

And Nook offered me 490 bells each for all three of my extra paintings, so if anyone needs the Worthy, Nice, or Quaint paintings, I have spares. I'd be especially interested if anyone has an extra Mario theme wallpaper to trade for them.

I have such wallpaper. Unfortunately, I will be on vacation from Wednesday until next Tuesday, so any online stuff will have to wait.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just started this game, after it took 6 months for my mom to ship my games I left back home to me.

I have yet to get the internet on the Wii to work, but when I do, I transferred by stupidly full catalog over from my DS game. So PM me your info and when I can friend you, I will.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    On another note, how often does the bank send you a letter saying you've accrued interest?

First day of every month.

Odd. So, what if you're not there the first day? I would think it would hang on to it for you, but I haven't seen anything the past couple of months.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I have such wallpaper. Unfortunately, I will be on vacation from Wednesday until next Tuesday, so any online stuff will have to wait.

Aggril, I'll trade Mushroom Mural for Quaint Painting when I get back next week, assuming Redd doesn't supply me with a legit copy in the interim.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Aggril, I'll trade Mushroom Mural for Quaint Painting when I get back next week, assuming Redd doesn't supply me with a legit copy in the interim.

Cool, I'll hold onto it for you, then. I'm just using them for decoration right now, anyway.

Aggril on
  • Options
    TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Maybe you can buy a wireless router for your dad as a belated Father's Day present? >^_~<

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    If I loathed the DS incarnation but loved the GameCube incarnation how will I feel about this time around?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    That depends. I'd say that the Wii game is sort of a "best of" with some new stuff added, but nothing really mindblowing.

The real questions I think are "what did you hate about the DS version?" and "what did you love about the Cube version?"

Mind, if "old Nintendo games" is a dealbreaker, then best to call it off now.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is there any way to get the grass to regrow in town? Between my wife and I both playing all around Nooks, the ocean/river, both "ramps", and our houses is completely bare dirt.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, I have the same problem. There are ways to make it regrow, but it's like trying to use a thimble to empty a room filling with water by the bucketful.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Our grass has grown back in nicely -- and Glosta was a barren wasteland almost immediately.

Tip: Plant a fuckton of flowers and don't walk on them.

Still need to catch a Tarantula and Scorpion; I've never even seen a walking leaf, but I can't imagine they'd be too difficult to nab once I do.

Aggril: will arrange for trade tomorrow evening. Dad actually had a wireless router, but there was no way I was going to have a predictable schedule while on vacation. :)

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    thisonekidmongothisonekidmongo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My town went from about 5% grass coverage to about 70-80% solely from flowers. That did take several months, of course. Start by covering isolated areas that don't get much traffic, like uninhabited cliffs that contain nothing else of interest. That's where you'll see progress the quickest.

My original intent was to play this game for only a full calendar year (coincidentally enough, started December 31) and try to catch everything. I don't think I'm going to make it. I've come so damn closer to catching a tarantula a couple times now, but was just a bit off with my net. But I have never, ever seen a Dorado despite weeks of river fishing, to the point where I don't believe it actually exists and is merely a cruel joke conceived by ACCF FAQs writers.

thisonekidmongo on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I caught several Dorados; I think they might be out of season now, but I don't have anything handy to check.

In fact, after randomly catching a Moray Eel last night, I am now but three fish away from my Golden Rod: Salmon, King Salmon (both September) and Jellyfish (2nd half of August).

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Aggril, gate will be open in about an hour and remain so until 11EDT. If I don't see you I'll mail the wallpaper to you.

Anyone else who wants to swing by feel free.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I saw the walking leaf, but didn't know that's what it was when I went to check it out, and missed it.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I saw the walking leaf, but didn't know that's what it was when I went to check it out, and missed it.

Hopefully I'll spot one this weekend when I go hunting for the new dragonfly.

STILL need the damned attack bugs, though...

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Vyolynce, I'll be around tomorrow if you want to do the trade then. Otherwise I don't have an issue mailing you the painting. I've also picked up a Scenic Painting that Nook offered me 490 bells for, so that's up for bids as well.

I've actually done well on the bug and fish collecting front. I finally landed a Birdwing butterfly and a Golden Stag Beetle, as well as a Napoleonfish. I already have a Scorpion in the museum, now I just need to get me a Tarantula. I did spot one the other night in my town, but when I charged it and quick selected my net, I instead brought out my fishing rod, which of course did nothing as far as tarantula-catching was concerned.

And yes, the walking leaf is fairly easy to spot, though aside from a brief period one day where I saw five, I haven't seen them very often. Maybe its just my town, but bugs and fish here tend to come in clumps, when they do show up.

Aggril on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Tarantula goes away at the end of the month and I still haven't caught one yet. My bug RNG is screwed up or something; while looking for crawlies, I caught five Giant Beetles. So I'm getting rare bugs, just not the right ones. :P

Meanwhile the last Scorpion I saw was generated two inches from the ocean. >_<

The wallpaper was mailed off Thursday night; I would imagine you have it by now.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    What is a Petaltail? I keep playing between 5 and 7pm but I don't think I have seen one but I have no idea what I am looking for. Has anyone caught one yet?

My bugs and fish also tend to come in clumps. It took me forever to catch a moray eel and then I caught about 10 in five minutes. I also once caught two blue marlins in a row.

I also still haven't caught any daytime butterflies (I did catch an emperor). And I have been playing everyday for about a month now and planting all the flowers I can so I think I have a lot of flowers. Any butterfly suggestions?

Kistra on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    A Giant Petaltail is just a really large dragonfly. You'll know it when you see it, as its very obviously larger than the usual dragonflies tooling around. Its still just as fast though, but fortunately it takes forever to turn, so that's the best time to swipe at it with your net.

I just caught one yesterday, so I can easily confirm all the above. It was very nice to appear right between one of the neighbor's houses and the cliff, so it had a LOT of corners to fail to navigate well. I still have to locate a Tarantula though. I looked for over an hour Sunday night, but didn't spot one. I wonder if those fireworks shows scare them off or if I just had bad luck...

And thanks, Vyolence! I've sent the painting. Sorry, I forgot I had to reset my Wii's internet thanks to some router issues.

Aggril on