As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mount & Blade: HAIL AND KILL (NSF56K)

• Options
    BlightBlight Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    For people who play in high resolutions and are tired of huge walls of text during battles but still want messages on.

Edit the file E:\Mount&Blade\Data\font_data.xml

Find the line <FontData width="2048" height="1024" padding="10" font_size="70" font_scale="100" line_spacing="100">

and change it to <FontData width="2048" height="1024" padding="10" font_size="70" font_scale="75" line_spacing="100">

it'll make all text in the game smaller and less eye raping during battles.

Blight on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love me some Mount & Blade. I joined up with the Nords and after a long while I had myself an army of 60 Nord Veteran Archers. Talk about Easy Street. Barely anything can get near my guys. Cavalry is the only thing that posses any kind of threat to my men, but when the enemies reach my lines they are greeted with two handed battle axes to the face. Good times, good times.

Edit- Also, if you are not screaming battle cries at your monitor while playing then you are doing it wrong.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What's would you guys say is the archetypal Nord on-foot commander equipment?

Also what companions are good for training skill again? I don't think you can choose what skills they improve, unless I'm missing something...

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ended up starting anew today and I hate to say it but I have converted from Nords to Swadia. There is nothing like seeing a group of knights go charging in and just destroying everything. I have to babysit them a lot less than I did the huscarls but we will see how it goes when I get higher numbers of them, not sure how they will fair in sieges without their ponies.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »

Also what companions are good for training skill again? I don't think you can choose what skills they improve, unless I'm missing something...

You can choose what to put their skill points in. So, every companion.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Holy shit, Native Expansion makes this game a whole lot harder.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Blight wrote: »
    For people who play in high resolutions and are tired of huge walls of text during battles but still want messages on.

Find the line <FontData width="2048" height="1024" padding="10" font_size="70" font_scale="100" line_spacing="100">

and change it to <FontData width="2048" height="1024" padding="10" font_size="70" font_scale="75" line_spacing="100">

THANK YOU!

God whenever I went on a roll killing shit I suddenly couldn't see half my screen, got annoying.

Morkath on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »

My guy is pretty average I think for a Nord Lord/Captain. Chainmail armor (in my case, Chainmail with Surcoat), Nordic Helmet, Huscarl shield, large bag of throwing axes, Heavy one handed axe (can't remember the exact name) and a balanced two handed axe (can't remember exact name). I also have a siege crossbow and steel bolts for castle sieges (throwing axes and two-hander being swapped out of them). I'll spare you a pic of my guy as there is plenty of them in the thread already. Heh.

Other good items would be Nordic swords (you don't HAVE to use an axe), large blunt weapons (King Ragnar himself uses a heavy mallet, at least in Native Improved), bows (though they're not really the Nord specialty, I saw a few lord packing longbows), and javelins (but not Jarids, if you want to get technical, those are Vaegir/Khergit weapons).

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh, God, what have I wrought?

I backed the rightful heir of the Nords, Lethwyn Far-Seeker. About a third of the kingdom, from Tihr west, joined our rebellion. It's been a long and bloody civil war, but we had pushed them back into Sargoth and Wercheg. The Nords were at war with fucking everyone, so there were roaming bands of Khergits and Vaegirs raiding the shit out of everything. With no central army to repel them, our civil war had left the kingdom defenseless. Then the Swadians came, and sacked Sargoth. They layed seige to Wercheg, and then declared war on us rebels, too. I started ransoming back loyalist Nord leaders to try to stall the Swadian hordes. They had easily over a thousand men ransacking the kingdom. I scraped together the bulk of our rebel forces, maybe two hundred men, and started fighting back. Eventually, they ground us down and captured me. By the time I got back to the north, every single village left in our hands had been looted and burned. Rebel lords have been defecting to the Swadians. My little band of hired troops can't stand against the massive Swadian armies. Not only is our rebellion as good as finished, but the entire kingdom has been wiped out.

tl;dr: I rebel against the Nords, Swadia consumes all.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ziac45 wrote: »
    Ended up starting anew today and I hate to say it but I have converted from Nords to Swadia. There is nothing like seeing a group of knights go charging in and just destroying everything. I have to babysit them a lot less than I did the huscarls but we will see how it goes when I get higher numbers of them, not sure how they will fair in sieges without their ponies.

If you're playing native they'll do just fine I believe, as they're better than even Swadian Infantry one foot. Kinda silly in my opinion.

Native Improved, which I'm playing makes them a bit weaker on foot (not exactly sure how though), not a lot, but enough to where you'll actually WANT some Swadian infantry.

To be honest, the idea of loading up on a single type of unit (all heavy cavalry being the most common) really irks me for some reason, but hey, everyone's free to play how they want. I mean, look at me, I'm hoofing it on foot with axes fighting amongst my men, getting torn up quite a bit as I do so to be honest.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh, God, what have I wrought?

I backed the rightful heir of the Nords, Lethwyn Far-Seeker. About a third of the kingdom, from Tihr west, joined our rebellion. It's been a long and bloody civil war, but we had pushed them back into Sargoth and Wercheg. The Nords were at war with fucking everyone, so there were roaming bands of Khergits and Vaegirs raiding the shit out of everything. With no central army to repel them, our civil war had left the kingdom defenseless. Then the Swadians came, and sacked Sargoth. They layed seige to Wercheg, and then declared war on us rebels, too. I started ransoming back loyalist Nord leaders to try to stall the Swadian hordes. They had easily over a thousand men ransacking the kingdom. I scraped together the bulk of our rebel forces, maybe two hundred men, and started fighting back. Eventually, they ground us down and captured me. By the time I got back to the north, every single village left in our hands had been looted and burned. Rebel lords have been defecting to the Swadians. My little band of hired troops can't stand against the massive Swadian armies. Not only is our rebellion as good as finished, but the entire kingdom has been wiped out.

tl;dr: I rebel against the Nords, Swadia consumes all.

Sounds both terrible, and awesome. I'm currently debating on sticking out my 3 month contract with the Nords without becoming a Lord (I've almost made it through one month sofar I think) and then going off to find the Far-Seeker and help him in his cause. I'm thinking this mainly because you apparently can't just become a Nord Lord, meet him, and then say "Screw you Ragnar, Lethywn for life!" and join his cause. You actually have to talk the king into releasing your oath... what?

All the claimants work this way. :|

GalagaGalaxian on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is there a trick to seiging a castle where the ladder is in the courtyard (the gate was destroyed)? Running in is suicidal because you're getting fired upon from every direction. I tried waiting for the defenders to run out of ammo but gave up after 20 minutes of standing there with bolts whizzing by my head.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is there a trick to seiging a castle where the ladder is in the courtyard (the gate was destroyed)? Running in is suicidal because you're getting fired upon from every direction. I tried waiting for the defenders to run out of ammo but gave up after 20 minutes of standing there with bolts whizzing by my head.

If there are any decent marksmen holed up in castles like that, youre pretty much going to have to accept heavy losses. I'd say wait till the Marshal wants to siege it or wait till you get elected and bring friends with you.

One way I like to "soften" up garrisons is to besiege a castle and then just wait a few days. Lots of times lords will make a run for it, and then you can abandon the siege and take them out. You can get a castle down to its base garrison this way.

pantsy on
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I mean, look at me, I'm hoofing it on foot with axes fighting amongst my men, getting torn up quite a bit as I do so to be honest.
    You do that to be honest?? Charging infantry with a lance is one of the most fun game mechanics I've ever encountered. Go enjoy yourself!

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Nothing like leading your charge of 200 Nord's into the oncoming cavalry charge, it's a whole new, kickass view.

Verr on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    pantsy wrote: »

If there are any decent marksmen holed up in castles like that, youre pretty much going to have to accept heavy losses. I'd say wait till the Marshal wants to siege it or wait till you get elected and bring friends with you.

One way I like to "soften" up garrisons is to besiege a castle and then just wait a few days. Lots of times lords will make a run for it, and then you can abandon the siege and take them out. You can get a castle down to its base garrison this way.

If you take a "small force" to besiege the castle, they will sally forth to attack you outside the walls also. Like 40 guys I think is small.

Also couching is fun, but it gets boring pretty fast. Plus its way overpowered. :P

Morkath on
  • Options
    capnricocapnrico Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Bastard Sword is the best one handed weapon I've found.

I've been wielding a bastard sword for awhile (I think I'm up to Heavy Balanced Bastard Sword or something along those lines), and now some of the shopkeeps are starting to have War Swords. They're even better.

capnrico on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Tim James wrote: »
    I mean, look at me, I'm hoofing it on foot with axes fighting amongst my men, getting torn up quite a bit as I do so to be honest.
    You do that to be honest?? Charging infantry with a lance is one of the most fun game mechanics I've ever encountered. Go enjoy yourself!

Lancing is ok, but I found it kinda boring, just drive through, spear one guy, drive out, turn around, repeat.

I'm fighting on foot both because its the Nord thing to do, and because I find it challenging.

My next play through I might go Vaegir, medium cavalry armed with a bardiche or similar 2 handed impliment of death.
    Verr wrote: »
    Nothing like leading your charge of 200 Nord's into the oncoming cavalry charge, it's a whole new, kickass view.

Aye, watching a dozen or so fall before they hit you, victims of thrown axe and javelin is a beautiful thing. I love that barrage my Nords give off as the enemy moves to close, better than archers it is, almost. Though I still train up a handful of Nord Archers.

GalagaGalaxian on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I managed to take 2 more Vaegir castles, which was fun, but neither went to me. Also, Kerghir armies have taken two more...so the remaining Vaegir forces are too concentrated for me to take any on my own.

Actually, I tried one and failed twice (using old saves), I think at least partially because of lag. My sword wasn't swinging fast enough to kill people. Maybe I'll try a castle with minimum number of combatants and see what happens.

Also, is it possible to talk other lords into backing up your siege?

Scooter on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love my Bastard Sword, because since it's 1H/2H, I switch it around by just putting my shield away. The advantage I've found with using 2 hand is that the damage output is higher, and the sword has more force to it, it bounces off enemies a lot less.

One thing I'd like a mod for is arrow quantity when defending a castle. If I'm in my own castle, I'd suppose I'd have some sort of armory, no? It's silly that after 30 arrows I cannot do anything else but scavenge them from my dead soldiers.

Or at least let us use the item box when we're in our own castle defending it...
    Blight wrote: »

Oh my god, thank you! At 1920x1200 I was getting pissed at such huge text.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    capnricocapnrico Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Also, good OP!

capnrico on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    So I managed to take 2 more Vaegir castles, which was fun, but neither went to me. Also, Kerghir armies have taken two more...so the remaining Vaegir forces are too concentrated for me to take any on my own.

Actually, I tried one and failed twice (using old saves), I think at least partially because of lag. My sword wasn't swinging fast enough to kill people. Maybe I'll try a castle with minimum number of combatants and see what happens.

Also, is it possible to talk other lords into backing up your siege?

Yes, you need a higher renown than them though. Talk to them and ask them if they will follow your plan.

Galaga: Get a shortened war scythe, great weapon for horseback killin's.

Satsu: Yeah you can find a mod for it, native expansion has an building you can build on towns, so when your defending them you replenish your ammo every minute.

Morkath on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Awkward M&B moments: apparently another lord has decided to live in my snowy castle. That's cool, it's another 120 troops garrisoning it for me, but it was a bit surprising to see (he's been there a while now too). We hadn't met before, so I went into my hall, found him at my table, and he goes "Who are you?"

And man, I really wanted a response that said "The lord who owns this fucking castle. Who are you!?"

:?

Scooter on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Morkath wrote: »
    Satsu: Yeah you can find a mod for it, native expansion has an building you can build on towns, so when your defending them you replenish your ammo every minute.

Sweet! I'm still on holidays so I haven't been on my computer to download and try these mods! This is good news.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Satsumomo wrote: »

Sweet! I'm still on holidays so I haven't been on my computer to download and try these mods! This is good news.

Alternatively, there's also an .ini tweak you can do that let's you access your inventory during sieges.

Details here.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    so is there a secret to not getting your ass kicked incessantly when playing Native Expansion? the endless rape parties of mercenaries is kind of daunting. is just 'collect a shitload of recruits/raiders/tribesmen/conscripts, and spar at the training field until all your troops are leveled up a bunch of times'?

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Galaga: Get a shortened war scythe, great weapon for horseback killin's.

This thing?

swarscytherr0.jpg

I dunno, it looks an awful lot like something you'd see ELFS using... :?

Besides, the Vaegir look so awesome with their bardiches, I mean, look at their OP pic!

GalagaGalaxian on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Balanced Sword of War is best. Kills everything remotly close to you. Shame about the arrows.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Galaga has convinced me to start fighting on foot more often. No cavalry this time around.

So much fun.

It's damned dangerous to be on foot in anything but plate armor, but it leads to some really cool moments. I'll always remember seeing the great big burly sea raider knock me over, raise his axe, and sprout a very fetching looking arrow through his ears.

I love that archer, whoever he was.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah I started fighting on foot my last playthrough too and it's the funnest way to go in my opinion. The game just becomes too easy when you can drive by and kill people in one hit, although I must admit it is a lot of fun especially taking out archers.

That being said, when I get captured and lose all my dudes and I gotta go after the suckers that are holding them captive by myself I've got no problem going 1v20 with my horse! It's both kinda silly how you can basically attack the same dudes forever as you're released but also awesome since its like I'm not leaving my fuckers behind even if I have to kill them one at a time and get dragged accross the world.

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    so is there a secret to not getting your ass kicked incessantly when playing Native Expansion? the endless rape parties of mercenaries is kind of daunting. is just 'collect a shitload of recruits/raiders/tribesmen/conscripts, and spar at the training field until all your troops are leveled up a bunch of times'?

Be better!
    Heh, avoid the mercenaries for awhile, they seem to show up mainly near the coast, so if you avoid that area you should be ok.

The broken sword you start with is actually really good, so keep that until you see a better sword. The short range, high speed, and high damage make it pretty deadly. I started native expansion with my old m&b guy, so he was taking out sea raider parties by himself.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    yeah, I trained up a bunch of nords, hired this hero, Melissa, who is basically a killing machine, and figured out how to use the tactics menu thing, so now I'm cleaning house with those fucking raiders, just wandering the coast, taking out parties of like, 27 with no casualties.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Tactics menu?

Also, I know of no hero NPC named Melissa. You mean maybe Matheld? Or do you have some mod installed?

GalagaGalaxian on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Tactics menu?

Also, I know of no hero NPC named Melissa. You mean maybe Matheld? Or do you have some mod installed?

native expansion has more heroes.

And he either means backspace tactics menu, or the actual built in formations for native expansion.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Wait, backspace does something?

GalagaGalaxian on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    backspace brings up a little map and gives you options for commanding your troops, and Melissa is a lady merc commander who's company got killed, so now she's my dude-looking superhero.

for some reason, Melissa is referred to as a she, but has an old man's model.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Being a mercenary commander is a hard life, give the poor girl a break.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Urgh. I'm on the verge of just giving up on Nords. Infantry combat is fun, it really is, but fighting the Khergit, the Swadians, the god damn Vaegir cavalry...

It's just too much. :|

Edit:

PS Why can't my Vaegir have homing arrows like the AI does that laugh in the face of shields and soundly rape everything.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm fond of clumping my infantry together in a tight mass. Cavalry tend to bog down and die horribly.

Unless they have bows.

Then it's pretty much up to me to get on my pony and shoot every single one of them in the head while my troops run around flailing their arms and screaming like little girls.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Basil wrote: »
    I'm fond of clumping my infantry together in a tight mass. Cavalry tend to bog down and die horribly.

Unless they have bows.

Then it's pretty much up to me to get on my pony and shoot every single one of them in the head while my troops run around flailing their arms and screaming like little girls.

This is why you and your army have bows and horses yourselves. Which also comes in handy for fun pincushion-making whenever infantry-heavy enemies come your way.

Khergit fo lyfe, yo.

Suriko on