As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The U.S. Presidential Inauguration Speech Text in OP

QuidQuid Definitely not a bananaRegistered User regular
edited January 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
This Tuesday everyone's favorite secret Muslim Barrack Obama will be sworn in as the 44th president of the United States. The turnout is expected to be massive with a cost of upwards of 50 million. It will also have unprecedented coverage with not only every network providing live coverage on the air and over the internet, but also channels such as BET and New Zealand's TV1 providing live coverage as well. Other channels are airing special programming to celebrate the inauguration. The event is expected to be front page news pretty much everywhere except possibly Alabama. There are celebration parties taking place in Kenya. Security will include the Secret Service, other Federal law enforcement agencies, Immigration and Customs Enforcement all five branches of the Armed Forces, the Capitol Police, DC's Metropolitan Police Department, and quite possibly law enforcement from other states as well.

To put it bluntly, there is some hype.

What do you think about it? Wonderful celebration or waste of money? Do you have expectations or concerns? What do you think Michelle will be wearing to the multiple inaugural ball's afterwards? Discuss the inauguration in general here. The OP will also be updated with times and locations for video streams once I find them.

Live Streams:

Inauguration Live

Hulu

CNN which will also let you set up a reminder.

BBC

There's also a great big list of other places streaming it and other related stuff here if none of the above tickle your giblets.



Text of Obama's inaugural address.



The Washington quote in particular:



In the year of America's birth, in the coldest of months, a small band of patriots huddled by dying campfires on the shores of an icy river. The capital was abandoned. The enemy was advancing. The snow was stained with blood. At a moment when the outcome of our revolution was most in doubt, the father of our nation ordered these words be read to the people:



"Let it be told to the future world ... that in the depth of winter, when nothing but hope and virtue could survive... that the city and the country, alarmed at one common danger, came forth to meet [it]."



America. In the face of our common dangers, in this winter of our hardship, let us remember these timeless words. With hope and virtue, let us brave once more the icy currents, and endure what storms may come. Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested, we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back, nor did we falter; and with eyes fixed on the horizon and God's grace upon us, we carried forth that great gift of freedom and delivered it safely to future generations.

Quid on
«13456749

Posts

  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's a little taste of the coming stimulus and a great celebration. What's there not to love?

    Hoz on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You know, this would probably be the first Inauguration I'd get to watch. For the life of me I can't remember Bush's Inauguration and I was too young to remember Clinton's.

    Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The right wingers are complaining that it is too much money. Apparently it is 3 times more expensive than the Bush one. Is it financed by tax money?

    JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Total waste of money and resources and an unnecessary risk to the new president.

    deadonthestreet on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I had to go down to Baltimore and nearby places in Maryland yesterday, and my GF needed to go to a job interview in Prince George County (just outside DC).

    Parking lots near metro stations were already filling up.

    Hoooooooooo boy, it's not going to be fun living in the DC area for the next few days. I'm glad I'm back in New York.

    Daedalus on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Definitely a waste of money in a time when its most needed.

    DarkWarrior on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Definitely a waste of money in a time when its most needed.

    well, they are spending money in the DC area. Economic stimulus and all?

    JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bush orders more federal funds for inauguration
    WASHINGTON — President-elect Barack Obama's inaugural committee has raised at least $35 million. That's according to new donor information posted on the committee's website Tuesday.

    The total could be higher than the website shows. The committee is releasing information only about those who give $200 or more. It says it will have a complete fundraising number in coming days.

    The committee's goal is around $42 million — close to the total raised for each of President George W. Bush's two inaugurations.

    Bush has declared an emergency in the District of Columbia that will let the nation's capital tap deeper into federal coffers for Obama's inauguration.

    Bush said Tuesday that an emergency exists and ordered federal aid to supplement the $15 million in federal funds already appropriated for the event.

    JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So it's being funded almost entirely by donors. And it's probably not more than 20% more expensive than Bush's inaugurations. I'm not seeing how this is a waste of money then.

    Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    These things are always a waste of money, however, they can be damned good for morale.

    Thing is this: There is a huge number of people SHOWING UP REGARDLESS, so you may as well keep them happy so they don't riot or something.

    Incenjucar on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    JebusUD wrote: »
    The right wingers are complaining that it is too much money. Apparently it is 3 times more expensive than the Bush one. Is it financed by tax money?
    The three times thing is a skew of the numbers. His inauguration committee has 45 million from private donations and the federal government is bringing up another 49. The rest is generally states providing security and law enforcement for the event. The comparison also only includes the money Bush raised from his inauguration committee and not the total cost of security and so on.

    Quid on
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    These things are always a waste of money, however, they can be damned good for morale.

    Come on guys, end of the Bush era/first Black President - easily worth as much to our people as some other things we spend $50 million dollars on.

    Like having Daniel Radcliffe in the Harry Potter movies for instance.

    Speaker on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    You know, this would probably be the first Inauguration I'd get to watch. For the life of me I can't remember Bush's Inauguration and I was too young to remember Clinton's.

    I remember people chucking raw eggs at Bush's limo when it was driving to the capitol steps.

    Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I think it has probably been . . . since 1981 that we had an inauguration like this.

    Re-election inaugurations aren't as fun, Bush Sr. was sort of a re-election inauguration, Clinton didn't come in with a mandate because he didn't win a majority, 2000 was a mess.

    Speaker on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just can't wait to hear his Inaugural Address. Those, far more than SotU's, are where you get your eloquence and vision. With malice toward none, Nothing to fear, Ask not, &c. This is the big leagues and Obama's oratory should be able to step up to the plate.

    moniker on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    This Tuesday everyone's favorite secret Muslim Barrack Obama will be sworn in as the 44th president of the United States. The turnout is expected to be massive with a cost of upwards of 50 million. It will also have unprecedented coverage with not only every network providing live coverage on the air and over the internet, but also channels such as BET and New Zealand's TV1 providing live coverage as well. Other channels are airing special programming to celebrate the inauguration. The event is expected to be front page news pretty much everywhere except possibly Alabama. There are celebration parties taking place in Kenya. Security will include the Secret Service, other Federal law enforcement agencies, Immigration and Customs Enforcement all five branches of the Armed Forces, the Capitol Police, DC's Metropolitan Police Department, and quite possibly law enforcement from other states as well.

    To put it bluntly, there is some hype.

    What do you think about it? Wonderful celebration or waste of money? Do you have expectations or concerns? What do you think Michelle will be wearing to the multiple inaugural ball's afterwards? Discuss the inauguration in general here. The OP will also be updated with times and locations for video streams once I find them.

    First time I've ever seen TV1 referenced on D&D. Woo NZ I guess?

    I think I'll go to a pub and watch this.

    Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Does anyone know what time on Tuesday this will be?

    It would be awesome if I could watch it live, hopefully my work schedule won't get in the way.

    Al_wat on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Total waste of money and resources and an unnecessary risk to the new president.

    This really concerns me. Maybe it should, maybe it shouldn't, but there are stupid/crazy people out there.

    UnbreakableVow on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Does anyone know what time on Tuesday this will be?

    It would be awesome if I could watch it live, hopefully my work schedule won't get in the way.

    Noon EST is when the power is officially swapped. How things line up before and after that will sort of depend on how long people feel like talking. Probably tune in an hour or two beforehand to get the most of it.

    It would be fun to watch this from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial with binoculars (or maybe a telescope) just to get the full effect of the crowd that is going to cover the Mall.

    moniker on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Total waste of money and resources and an unnecessary risk to the new president.

    This really concerns me. Maybe it should, maybe it shouldn't, but there are stupid/crazy people out there.

    The Secret Service are good at their job.

    How many people want to kill Bush, after all?

    moniker on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Does anyone know what time on Tuesday this will be?

    It would be awesome if I could watch it live, hopefully my work schedule won't get in the way.

    There's a clock ticking to it on Hulu.

    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Probably not as many as want to kill that dark skinned muslim trying to overthrow our white christian nation

    deadonthestreet on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Total waste of money and resources and an unnecessary risk to the new president.

    This really concerns me. Maybe it should, maybe it shouldn't, but there are stupid/crazy people out there.

    The Secret Service are good at their job.

    How many people want to kill Bush, after all?
    They were all liberals and didn't own guns. There is no crazy like armed right-wing crazy.

    matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Does anyone know what time on Tuesday this will be?

    It would be awesome if I could watch it live, hopefully my work schedule won't get in the way.

    Noon, local time. So work out the time zone difference depending on where you are.

    Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Total waste of money and resources and an unnecessary risk to the new president.

    This really concerns me. Maybe it should, maybe it shouldn't, but there are stupid/crazy people out there.

    The Secret Service are good at their job.

    How many people want to kill Bush, after all?

    Then what hapenned to Captain America?

    DarkWarrior on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, lame i'll be at work. Oh well guess I can catch shit on youtube.

    Al_wat on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Total waste of money and resources and an unnecessary risk to the new president.

    This really concerns me. Maybe it should, maybe it shouldn't, but there are stupid/crazy people out there.

    The Secret Service are good at their job.

    How many people want to kill Bush, after all?
    They were all liberals and didn't own guns. There is no crazy like armed right-wing crazy.

    Plus the fact that Biden doesn't eat live babies.

    Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's not like the only time the president is vulnerable is when he's standing on the podium at the inauguration. If some crazy person was to decide to do something to him, they'd be retarded to try it during the one time they know it's most difficult.

    The most recent attempt on a president's life wasn't made while he was in the middle of a huge event, it was when he was walking to the car from a hotel.

    Glaeal on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well if a terrorist wanted to attack D.C., Tuesday would be the day to do it.

    Like even an anthrax attack would be devastating among that crowd.

    Then again we cannot live in fear.

    Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Glaeal wrote: »
    It's not like the only time the president is vulnerable is when he's standing on the podium at the inauguration. If some crazy person was to decide to do something to him, they'd be retarded to try it during the one time they know it's most difficult.

    The most recent attempt on a president's life wasn't made while he was in the middle of a huge event, it was when he was walking to the car from a hotel.

    Actually it was in the middle of a huge event. Hand grenade thrown 5 yards from the podium in Iraq. Prior to that someone just sprayed bullets at the White House when people in suits were walking outside.

    moniker on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    All an assassin has to do is fold a likeness of Allah into a paper airplane and toss it at Obama.

    MKR on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kagera wrote: »
    Well if a terrorist wanted to attack D.C., Tuesday would be the day to do it.

    Like even an anthrax attack would be devastating among that crowd.

    Then again we cannot live in fear.

    You could dust the whole crowd and maybe ten of them would get sick.

    MKR on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kagera wrote: »
    Well if a terrorist wanted to attack D.C., Tuesday would be the day to do it.

    Like even an anthrax attack would be devastating among that crowd.

    Then again we cannot live in fear.

    The only thing we have to fear are spiders, werewolves, Bill's wife, the dark, and fear itself.

    moniker on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    Well if a terrorist wanted to attack D.C., Tuesday would be the day to do it.

    Like even an anthrax attack would be devastating among that crowd.

    Then again we cannot live in fear.

    You could dust the whole crowd and maybe ten of them would get sick.

    ...oh.

    Well the chaos caused by it would kill hundreds just from trampling so there's that.

    Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Glaeal wrote: »
    It's not like the only time the president is vulnerable is when he's standing on the podium at the inauguration. If some crazy person was to decide to do something to him, they'd be retarded to try it during the one time they know it's most difficult.

    The most recent attempt on a president's life wasn't made while he was in the middle of a huge event, it was when he was walking to the car from a hotel.

    Actually it was in the middle of a huge event. Hand grenade thrown 5 yards from the podium in Iraq. Prior to that someone just sprayed bullets at the White House when people in suits were walking outside.

    Ok, most recent attempt that actually had an effect. That grenade didn't explode, the two guys that fired shots at the White House didn't do anything, and the guy that crashed a plane into the White House lawn did it when the president wasn't there.

    Still, an attempt on the President's life is more likely to happen when the people doing it think they'll have the easiest chance. I'm not saying anyone will be complacent, but I think the Secret Service has it under control, at least as well as anyone can.

    Glaeal on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    As an outside observer I find this whole secret muslim thing hilarious. I've seen some of the frankly bizarre videos on youtube on this stuff and whilst they are generally made by hick racist idiots they are incredibly funny for reasons they didn't intend.

    For example, the Conservapedia page on Barack Obama makes me burst into laughter whenever I read it.

    For example, the very first bit of text "Barack Hussein Obama II (allegedly born in Honolulu". Notice the allegedly bit, it's to insinuate that perhaps he isn't a real American. Perhaps he wasn't born in America at all but on planet persei 8.

    Then there's the LOADS of stuff about the whole secret muslim thing.

    Here's some more stuff, you couldn't be more funnier if you tried.
    In the years 2000 through 2004, before becoming a United States Senator and being in the public spotlight, Obama gave 1% of his earnings to charity even though he made $250,000 per year. Since becoming a national figure, that amount has jumped to 6%.[71] Obama's small donations are consistent with atheism and were perhaps influenced by his nonbelieving mother. According to a study by the Barna Group, atheists give less per capita in donations than religious Americans [72].

    I could go on and on... it is so funny.

    GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Unless the Secret Service are IN ON IT!
    and the Illuminati.

    Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    As an outside observer I find this whole secret muslim thing hilarious. I've seen some of the frankly bizarre videos on youtube on this stuff and whilst they are generally made by hick racist idiots they are incredibly funny for reasons they didn't intend.

    For example, the Conservapedia page on Barack Obama makes me burst into laughter whenever I read it.

    For example, the very first bit of text "Barack Hussein Obama II (allegedly born in Honolulu". Notice the allegedly bit, it's to insinuate that perhaps he isn't a real American. Perhaps he wasn't born in America at all but on planet persei 8.

    Then there's the LOADS of stuff about the whole secret muslim thing.

    Here's some more stuff, you couldn't be more funnier if you tried.
    In the years 2000 through 2004, before becoming a United States Senator and being in the public spotlight, Obama gave 1% of his earnings to charity even though he made $250,000 per year. Since becoming a national figure, that amount has jumped to 6%.[71] Obama's small donations are consistent with atheism and were perhaps influenced by his nonbelieving mother. According to a study by the Barna Group, atheists give less per capita in donations than religious Americans [72].

    I could go on and on... it is so funny.




    "Obama uses the Muslim Pakistani pronunciation for "Pakistan" rather than the common American one"

    He's EVIL!

    Al_wat on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Damn him pronouncing things right.

    enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Seriously, though. Grant Park was way more dangerous than this. The Secret Service have practiced this shit for decades. The only people in any real 'danger' are those in the middle/front of the crowd that risk getting a bit crushed because everyone's jockeying for position to not see anything. Also pickpockets.

    I wonder how many streets are closed around the Mall, and what's going to happen if/when that gets filled with people. I mean they could have overflow on the other side of the Capitol, but that would suck.

    moniker on
This discussion has been closed.