Options

Super Robot Wars - OGs is OUT, OG Gaiden up next

• Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    Ah come on. How could they force a fee?

Dosn't Banpresto own the rights and have the final say?

The same thing anime licensing-companies owning the licenses for Eva, Macross, Gundam, Nadesico etc. has to do with the Alphas not getting the Alphas.

I thought that had more to do with so many different companies owning the licencing rights.

But wouldn't the original intellectual property owners and Banpresto have the final say? When Bandai/ADV/Pioneer or whatever they're calling themselves now license an anime, they seem to get everything associated with it as well.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

The same thing anime licensing-companies owning the licenses for Eva, Macross, Gundam, Nadesico etc. has to do with the Alphas not getting the Alphas.

I thought that had more to do with so many different companies owning the licencing rights.

But wouldn't the original intellectual property owners and Banpresto have the final say? When Bandai/ADV/Pioneer or whatever they're calling themselves now license an anime, they seem to get everything associated with it as well.
    They should, shouldn't they? Didn't something like this happen in the early 90's with Sailor Moon's atrocious dub? Didn't the anime's original creators revoke the license from Saban/DIC?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    OtakuD00D wrote: »

They should, shouldn't they? Didn't something like this happen in the early 90's with Sailor Moon's atrocious dub? Didn't the anime's original creators revoke the license from Saban/DIC?

Not until after 3 series had already gone through.

However, I'm not sure how much revoking can be done. I thought Banpresto was either owned by or a part of Bandai japan?

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Not until after 3 series had already gone through.

However, I'm not sure how much revoking can be done. I thought Banpresto was either owned by or a part of Bandai japan?
    Banpresto Co., Ltd. (株式会社バンプレスト, Kabushiki-gaisha Banpuresuto?) (TYO: 7854 ) is a Japanese game development firm. It was founded April 1977 as Hoei Sangyo, Co. Ltd. The company was renamed Coreland in 1982, and during the 1980s it worked mainly as a subcontractor for Sega and its arcade division [1]. It has been partially owned by Bandai since 1989, when it gained its current name.[2] It was purchased by and became a wholly owned subsidy of Namco Bandai Holdings, Inc. in March 2006.

Wiki'd.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wait then how does this change anything.
    It's all the same company.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Now that it's been licensed by someone here, it mgiht make it more expensive for NIS or Atlus to bring it here considering how fucking greedy B-V tends to be with its DVD prices. Imagine how much they'd want for OGS.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Wait then how does this change anything.
    It's all the same company.

No it isn't. Atlus isn't a part of Bandai.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Damn. I guess we're not getting any more OG games stateside.

In other news, Rampage Ghost!

Um... what would the Orginal Generation OVAs coming out to the states have to do with not getting any more of the games?

except the OG Anime is licensed from the games. not the other way around.

even then, the reason we didn't get the others was because of the multitude of companies charging exorbitant fees for the rights to use the mechs and characters, whereas in this case, it's once single license (more or less). This is like saying Naruto games could never come out in the US because Viz has the anime and manga license.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Lanz wrote: »

Damn. I guess we're not getting any more OG games stateside.

In other news, Rampage Ghost!

Um... what would the Orginal Generation OVAs coming out to the states have to do with not getting any more of the games?

except the OG Anime is licensed from the games. not the other way around.

even then, the reason we didn't get the others was because of the multitude of companies charging exorbitant fees for the rights to use the mechs and characters, whereas in this case, it's once single license (more or less). This is like saying Naruto games could never come out in the US because Viz has the anime and manga license.

Yeah, but this isn't Viz we're talking about. it's Bandai-Visual. The company that believes American anime fans want to be just as fucked over as Japanese anime fans do when it comes to pricing and releases.

chaossoldier on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    actually, the funny part is everyone's worried we'll never get another OG here when, as far as I can tell, this makes things even more likely to get OG games here.

It's Bandai. Even if it's Bandai-Visual, I guarantee they'll try to market the hell out of it (it's a 3 episode OVA and a 25 episode TV series, with Giant robots and ZOMG ACTION that's a hit with all the kids these days). Chances are they'll try to put it on Toonami or Adult Swim, and then try to cash in with more games and figures and whatnot because they know there's a market that will eat them up.

That reminds me, anyone know where to find sales numbers for the English versions of OG1 and 2?

EDIT:

Even more bizarre: why would BV buy the rights to the series unless they were counting on the games to help them sell the anime? especially when one of them is a sequel to OG2? The last time something like that happened that I can think of was ADV licensing Sonic Soldier Borgman, and someone releasing Tekkaman Blade 2 here (though, I suppose that didn't count since someone else brought over Tekkaman Blade, edited it, and sold it to syndication)

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    actually, the funny part is everyone's worried we'll never get another OG here when, as far as I can tell, this makes things even more likely to get OG games here.

It's Bandai. Even if it's Bandai-Visual, I guarantee they'll try to market the hell out of it (it's a 3 episode OVA and a 25 episode TV series, with Giant robots and ZOMG ACTION that's a hit with all the kids these days). Chances are they'll try to put it on Toonami or Adult Swim, and then try to cash in with more games and figures and whatnot because they know there's a market that will eat them up.

That reminds me, anyone know where to find sales numbers for the English versions of OG1 and 2?

EDIT:

Even more bizarre: why would BV buy the rights to the series unless they were counting on the games to help them sell the anime? especially when one of them is a sequel to OG2? The last time something like that happened that I can think of was ADV licensing Sonic Soldier Borgman, and someone releasing Tekkaman Blade 2 here (though, I suppose that didn't count since someone else brought over Tekkaman Blade, edited it, and sold it to syndication)

I'm not actually as pessimistic about it as I'm making out to be, because it may still come out unadultered and maybe even before the holidays. I'm just saying this fuzzies up all forecasts I could make. Maybe Bandai's license doesn't apply to the SRW games because Atlus had dibs, maybe Bandai will do what's in the whole of Bandai's best interest and just go ahead and let them make it regardless of the letter of the license agreement, maybe Bandai will release the game themselves (which I'm not sure what I think of, on one hand it would be pretty hard to fuck up since it's not even a port but rather simply a localization and they probably wouldn't bother with an English dub if they aren't for the OVA, which I'd like, but Bandai has a checkered past with regard to games, sometimes they're great like Gundam vs and DotHack, sometimes they're absolute shit like titles I've willfully forgotten, and sometimes they're overly eccentric for the realities of the market like Samurai Champloo [which I thought was quite fun, rhythm and music hack'n'slash was a worthy experiment] but again all they'd be doing is translating and publishing).

I'm just saying it muddies the waters, at least with the scant details about the agreement that are presently available. I kind of want to hear from Atlus before I'd put any chips on any particular outcome.

Edit: Also, what the fuck counts as one "battle encounter"? Like, one attack animation with no reply or is a counter-attack allowed while still being only one encounter?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Edit: Also, what the fuck counts as one "battle encounter"? Like, one attack animation with no reply or is a counter-attack allowed while still being only one encounter?

One battle encounter is one full fight scene. Your Attack -> Enemy's Counter attack/defense or Enemy's Attack -> Your Counter attack/Defense is a single encounter.

chaossoldier on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Since it may be of interest given the BV announcement, I should point out that the last anime/manga/game property that Bandai has released anime for in the U.S. that I know of, Galaxy Angel, has not had its non-anime properties hampered when other companies are handling them. Granted, in this case it's the U.S. branch of the company that did them in Japan handling them (or trying to given slow progress on the games) instead of a U.S. company licensing them, but you know, the water could use more mud.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Dear second wave of enemies in episode 9 of OG2:

FUCK YOU, YA GODDAMN MECHANICAL VULTURES

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Got them! Finally :D

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    cf18cf18 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

That would suck big time. The game may become English dub only. All the semi-dirty jokes from Miss-E will be gone.

I doubt they will mass market OG anyway. The shows were poorly received so they just got them cheap.

cf18 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I don't want Bandai to release the game primarily because Atlus is more likely to make the soundtrack a pre-order bonus.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't want Bandai to release the game primarily because Atlus is more likely to make the soundtrack a pre-order bonus.
    I would like to see Bandai release the game IF that increased the chances of it ever seeing Europe.

If, however, Europe gets ignored as usual either way I don't really care.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I would like to see Bandai release the game IF that increased the chances of it ever seeing Europe.

If, however, Europe gets ignored as usual either way I don't really care.

But dude, you don't seem to realise that Europe doesn't even want it. They want, like, wine and cheese or something. Y'know? I mean they're Europeans, who knows what's going on in their heads? Certainly not the executives who make decisions about what does and doesn't go to Europe, that's for sure!

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvZ38RQ3hN8 Evangelion clips set to Getter Robo's Intro. I like.

( http://www.hlj.com/product/SHE33030 )

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007

That is some hot sex right there.
    $369.14 USD

D:D:D:

chaossoldier on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ah studio half-eye.

Is there nothing that you can't make perfectly transform?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fuck I want that Grungust more than any other figure I can think of right now

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I've never been a big Grungust fan. Yeah, it can take a beating and yeah, it can dish out damage, but I dunno. Too short-range, I guess.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    VhalyarVhalyar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Neither I am, but it's the colors that annoy me. Big, clunky blob of blue with stripes of yellow, red and white :|

Sanger's Grungusts are the exception though.

Vhalyar on
    uther-lance.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Vhalyar wrote: »
    Neither I am, but it's the colors that annoy me. Big, clunky blob of blue with stripes of yellow, red and white :|
    You do realise that the same description can be applied to the General that you're sporting in your sig, right? :P

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    VhalyarVhalyar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You do realise that the same description can be applied to the General that you're sporting in your sig, right? :P

Shush you :oops:

Vhalyar on
    uther-lance.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Sanger's Grungusts are the exception though.

Grungusts always look weird to me when drawn in real proportions and not SD sized. The head just seems so small and the legs too thin for a super robot.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, I thought much the same thing the first time I saw an assembled Grungust model. It almost seems too ...elegant, I guess is the word.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    How about that.

Apparently now you can do Support fire from inside of the ship.

I pulled the Hagane up for an attack and Gaddo showed up for support fire even though he isn't even part of the mission team I selected.

chaossoldier on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I pulled the Hagane up for an attack and Gaddo showed up for support fire even though he isn't even part of the mission team I selected.

Did he show up in the mech he was assigned to? Makes battleships much more interesting.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Did he show up in the mech he was assigned to? Makes battleships much more interesting.

Yep. Made me do a double take because it showed the Yellow Schutzwald for a support attack and I backed out of the menu to check because I know I didn't bring that unit into the battle.

chaossoldier on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Can Real-type units still equip weapons in OGs like they do in the OG games? I ask because I love giving someone in a Gespy(such as Katina) a suped-up M95 or Shotgun-o-Doom.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    FCD wrote: »
    Can Real-type units still equip weapons in OGs like they do in the OG games? I ask because I love giving someone in a Gespy(such as Katina) a suped-up M95 or Shotgun-o-Doom.

Of course. In addition, weapons that use bullet ammunition can have special bullets made for it to increase the abilities of the guns so you can give something like an M95 increased damage, range and whatnot.

chaossoldier on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The shotgun is really useful in OGS. -Really- useful. Especially with special ammo. Sucker can hit an entire twin battle squad, after all.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    :o I just found out that with W, you can level up all your weapons at once instead of one at a time.

oh god I hope they keep that from now on

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    :o I just found out that with W, you can level up all your weapons at once instead of one at a time.

oh god I hope they keep that from now on

I forget which game they started it with, but I think it started with one of the Alpha games. It's 10 times more cost efficient than leveling up each weapon one at a time.

chaossoldier on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    OG doesn't do it and it doesn't seem like it will anytime soon, what with equippable weapons.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    OG doesn't do it and it doesn't seem like it will anytime soon, what with equippable weapons.

If they'd taken the time, they could have. Kinda how the Ammo system knows when there's weapons it can't be used with, and the equip system knows there are mechs that can't use weapons like that, they could have set up the upgrade system to filter out equiped weapons.

chaossoldier on
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Look what came in the mail for me today:

SRWOGs1.jpg

SRWOGs2.jpg

SRWOGs3.jpg

Unfortunately I won't be able to play until I buy another slim PS2 and another flip top lid for it at the end of this month :|

Clawshrimpy on