Options

Super Robot Wars - OGs is OUT, OG Gaiden up next

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It looks like the PS2 still has at least one or two years left in it, unlike many other post-generation consoles. Most almost always die within a year after their successor comes out.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I do not get this battle system sometimes.

Here I am, with Alteisen. I'm trying to use its Heavy Claymore attack. I have the required amount of Will for it. It says its range is 1~2. I am assuming that means it has a range of up to two squares surrounding Alteisen So I get right next to my target. And yet despite meeting these requirements I can not use the attack!?

Why?

Edit: Talking about Orginal Generation 1.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    VhalyarVhalyar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    I do not get this battle system sometimes.

Here I am, with Alteisen. I'm trying to use its Heavy Claymore attack. I have the required amount of Will for it. It says its range is 1~2. I am assuming that means it has a range of up to two squares surrounding Alteisen So I get right next to my target. And yet despite meeting these requirements I can not use the attack!?

Why?

Because it's not a Post Movement attack. Attacks that can be used after moving have a P to indicate this ability. Keep in mind Kyosuke can use the Assault Spirit Command to make all of his weapons Post Movement for a single turn.

Vhalyar on
    uther-lance.gif
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So that's what that P means.

It should be noted that I don't have a manual... <<

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ibis is doing amazing in the Astelion :D

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    SirNickSirNick Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Lanz wrote: »
    Ibis is doing amazing in the Astelion :D

She's my babe. 100% pure unleaded awesome with the RaMVs. :)

SirNick on
  • Options
    VhalyarVhalyar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    So that's what that P means.

It should be noted that I don't have a manual... <<

B's for Beams, which are worthless underwater.
    C's for Chain, which combined with pilots with the Chain allows the attack to affect multiple enemies in a line, though that's OG2/OGS stuff.

Vhalyar on
    uther-lance.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    okay, will there ever be a battle where I can deploy my entire force at once? the most I've been able to was 19 units in the last battle, counting the 3 Battleships, Lamia and Arado (who I started the battle with until backup arrived)

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    okay, will there ever be a battle where I can deploy my entire force at once? the most I've been able to was 19 units in the last battle, counting the 3 Battleships, Lamia and Arado (who I started the battle with until backup arrived)
    Well, I haven't played through the whole of OG2 yet, but based on my playthrough of OG1 I think the answer is 'no'.

Except in the early stages when your entire force consists of about three guys.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, I haven't played through the whole of OG2 yet, but based on my playthrough of OG1 I think the answer is 'no'.

Except in the early stages when your entire force consists of about three guys.

No, there won't. However there will be stages where you have to use two or three more people than you have taken the time to level.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Alpha Gaiden is really confusing.
    Why are Roy Focker and Hikaru and the secondary Macross characters fighting with Rai and Ryusei, why did they side with those enemies that I have no clue what they are, their units look like they at least WANT to be Zeon.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    notagamenotagame Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Alpha Gaiden is really confusing.
    Why are Roy Focker and Hikaru and the secondary Macross characters fighting with Rai and Ryusei, why did they side with those enemies that I have no clue what they are, their units look like they at least WANT to be Zeon.
    I believe in Alpha Gaiden, something happened and you get sent back in time to an earth where you failed to stop the invasion like you would at the end of Alpha. Then a new enemy shows up, who turn out to be your team from an alternate reality where all your characters are evil, so maybe the Macross crew is fighting the evil Rai and Ryusei?

notagame on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    For a brief period of time in Alpha Gaiden, the Federation is your enemy due to the Titans and whatnot, so I think you fight Hikaru and Roy because of that.

Furu on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What I've heard about AG:
    You're flung into an alternate future timeline after beating Shu. It's basically an alternate universe where shockwaves from the Excelion's detonation pretty much fucked up Earth to a post-apocalyptic state. I believe it had something to do with a barrier made to withstand it not being put up in time. I forget.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It was the other way around, I was contirolling the Macross Pilots (and later recieved Mazinger Z, Aphrodite A, Masaki in some mech that isn't Cybuster, Some other guy in this red mech with this Panther, Lune with her Valsione, and, Irm oddly enough.) we were fighting all these Zeon looking mofos, and Ryu and Rai were fighting me in Gespensts.

Allthough, it makes sense now, and I guess it also explains why Zengar is the Sword of Magus, and that evil Shin Getter I had to fight.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Hell yes, KoRyuOh/RyuKoOh get!

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It's a nice giant robot, I'll admit, but I do hope we get a bit more backstory on it. I mean, how the bleeping bleep-bleep did people ever manage to build that thing in ancient China!!??

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It's a nice giant robot, I'll admit, but I do hope we get a bit more backstory on it. I mean, how the bleeping bleep-bleep did people ever manage to build that thing in ancient China!!??

It's not so much a robot as it is a magical being that humans can ride in.

There's actually a manga giving a detailed history of the thing.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Furu wrote: »

I think I prefer the giant robot explanation. Unless all those Spirit techniques are also basically magic, I don't think I'm very interested in having magic mixing with the giant robots.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I think I prefer the giant robot explanation. Unless all those Spirit techniques are also basically magic, I don't think I'm very interested in having magic mixing with the giant robots.

What do you think Cybuster is

Furu on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Oh come on. Cybuster is a magical construct?

Remember, I've only played the GBA games (and I haven't finished 2 yet. Getting close, though - I think).

I always Masaki came from... well, somewhere where technology is highly advanced, not magical. And that his two talking kittens were just the Token Cute Animal Mascots that do not indicate the presence of magic either way.

(And now I suppose you're going to tell me all this was explained in 1 when I wasn't paying attention.)

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    No, actually, it was all explained during Cybuster's appearances in the main SRW games as well as the Cybuster solo game.

It's a magic-powered robot from a kingdom that exists inside Earth's hollow shell. One of many, actually. Cybuster is associated with the element wind.

Kuro and Shiro are Masaki's familiars. Every pilot there has one.

Furu on
  • Options
    GeoGeo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I hope information regarding the ACE3 isn't too off topic, considering it's been brought up before. Either way, there's a new video for it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=FYlfiaPehrc

The best part is that Black Getter is shown in the movie, making it a very good chance that it is playable. Allies also seem to have a support skill feature. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but it seems that one of the Nadesico Mechs can grant it's Distortion Field to you, King Gainer can use it's Over Freeze, and Shin Getter will use Stoner Sunshine. It seems like missions are improved compared to the past "enemies spawn around you" for half the missions, but I can't read much of the site.

Geo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Mystical "robots" have been a part of the Mecha tradition for a while. Raideen and RahXephon are good eamples. Heck, even Kotetsu Jeeg is a Weird Mix of artifacts and technology. and the enemies Kotetsu Jeeg fights are these evil Clay/Stone/Crystal golems.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Now that we're talking story-stuff anyways, is it ever explained why some pilots wear these weird (space-?)helmets and others don't?

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Now that we're talking story-stuff anyways, is it ever explained why some pilots wear these weird (space-?)helmets and others don't?

Not really, no. I think the designers just thought certain cut-ins looked better without them.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    No, actually, it was all explained during Cybuster's appearances in the main SRW games as well as the Cybuster solo game.

It's a magic-powered robot from a kingdom that exists inside Earth's hollow shell. One of many, actually. Cybuster is associated with the element wind.

Kuro and Shiro are Masaki's familiars. Every pilot there has one.

isn't Masaki from above ground too, just he and Shu managed to find their way into the inner world?

EDIT: and Japan's always done the "Giant robot is also a mystical being" thing

couple of Examples:

escaflownefo5.gif

zyu1189mp1.jpg <- God*

okay, a third of God after being split apart eons before

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Masaki, Shu, and most of the pilots are from above ground.

It's basically Aura Battle Dunbine.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Masaki, Shu, and most of the pilots are from above ground.

It's basically Aura Battle Dunbine.

[realization hits]

that is spot on :shock:

and reminds me I need to watch Dunbine

AURA BATTARAH, DUN-BAH-EEN
    AURA SHOOTAH, DUN-BAH-EEN
    ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!
    AURA SEN-SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Remember, I've only played the GBA games (and I haven't finished 2 yet. Getting close, though - I think).

I always Masaki came from... well, somewhere where technology is highly advanced, not magical. And that his two talking kittens were just the Token Cute Animal Mascots that do not indicate the presence of magic either way.

(And now I suppose you're going to tell me all this was explained in 1 when I wasn't paying attention.)

ELEMENTAL LORD OF WIND.

PRANA.

FAMILIARS.

AKASHIC RECORD.

Aaand yeah. It's pretty much OG's answer to Dunbine, innit? Makes me wonder how La Gias and the Byston Well mesh together in the SRW's both are in.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    OtakuD00D wrote: »

ELEMENTAL LORD OF WIND.

PRANA.

FAMILIARS.

AKASHIC RECORD.

Aaand yeah. It's pretty much OG's answer to Dunbine, innit? Makes me wonder how La Gias and the Byston Well mesh together in the SRW's both are in.

They're generally portrayed as either the same place or close neighbors.

Furu on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

I like to think that Tetsuya's "This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard!" line sums up my feelings on that.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just won OG2 (GBA). All BMs on the first (and final) playthough. I'm feeling pretty proud at this moment..8-)

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Bursar wrote: »

I like to think that Tetsuya's "This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard!" line sums up my feelings on that.

Alpha has a great explanation. Dunno how much of it will carry on over to OG.
    They were fragments of/servants of/etc Guneden.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    ELEMENTAL LORD OF WIND.
    Just a fancy nickname. Like "Alteisen" for the Gespenst Mk.III.

(Or does the existence of the name Gespenst mean that ghosts are real too?)

PRANA.

AKASHIC RECORD.
    Hindu religious concepts, if I'm not mistaken. Naming stuff after those is no proof of magic. Or even that those concepts are true in the SRT-'verse.

FAMILIARS.
    Token Cute Animal Mascots. Proof only of the fact that, yeah, this game is pretty heavily influenced by anime.

OK, by this point I'm just arguing for the sake arguing. Sorry. Can't resist.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ELEMENTAL LORD OF WIND.
    Just a fancy nickname. Like "Alteisen" for the Gespenst Mk.III.

(Or does the existence of the name Gespenst mean that ghosts are real too?)

PRANA.

AKASHIC RECORD.
    Hindu religious concepts, if I'm not mistaken. Naming stuff after those is no proof of magic. Or even that those concepts are true in the SRT-'verse.

FAMILIARS.
    Token Cute Animal Mascots. Proof only of the fact that, yeah, this game is pretty heavily influenced by anime.

OK, by this point I'm just arguing for the sake arguing. Sorry. Can't resist.

How about the fact that each of the Mashoukishin is blessed by an elemental spirit.
    Cybuster = Cyphis The Wind Spirit
    Goddess = God the Water spirit
    Granveil = Granva The Fire Sirit
    Zamzeed = Zamzu the Earth spirit

And these are only the 4 "A"class ones, there are countless smaller, and a few stronger ones, and all are blessed in some way or another.

Plus, Kuro and Shiro practically say there summoned spirits in OG1.

Matthew on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    For you to fail to accept that Cybuster is in fact magic tells me that you're not reading the dialogue. They explain quite clearly particularly in OG2 that Cybuster isn't a mech built by men, but rather its own being (a creature of legend, even) who chooses its pilot. Will and Spirit Points aren't magical, but the very concepts of human will and spirit are largely metaphysical and commonly regarded by pop-psychology as myth. Cybuster is the elemental Lord of the Wind. That's not a nickname, that's what it is.

There is no question as to whether or not Cybuster is magic. The real question is why that's such a problem for you.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The real question is why that's such a problem for you.
    Don't know really. Throwing mass-produced giant robots into the same universe as 'magical' (or whatever) giant robots makes me go "wait, what? How does that make sense?".

I guess I just can't wrap my head around the concept of the two of them existing at the same time without a clear explanation that goes further than "they just do".

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The real question is why that's such a problem for you.
    Don't know really. Throwing mass-produced giant robots into the same universe as 'magical' (or whatever) giant robots makes me go "wait, what? How does that make sense?".

There is a SRW game with Voltron in it for fuck's sake!

ViolentChemistry on