As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead Space Wii announced

• Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Voth wrote: »
    I felt the same way playing it, actually. After level 8, any sense of fear or tension I had was completely lost because I was armed to the teeth and the jump scares all became really predictable.

Sounds like Doom3.
    I remember previews talking about how the pacing avoided the Doom 3 effect by mixing things up all the time...nope, definitely not.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    Maybe it will be like Killer 7 movement. That sounds about right really, and there's already the laser thing that shows you where you need to go.

Exactly what I was thinking. I wish more people would realize that Killer7 was an evolution of the rail shooter instead of a crippled third/first person action game.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Maybe it will be like Killer 7 movement. That sounds about right really, and there's already the laser thing that shows you where you need to go.

Exactly what I was thinking. I wish more people would realize that Killer7 was an evolution of the rail shooter instead of a crippled third/first person action game.

The IGN article said it's more like HoTD : Dead Space though .... so I'm getting a bit more skeptical on the game's viability at this point.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Arde wrote: »

The IGN article said it's more like HoTD : Dead Space though .... so I'm getting a bit more skeptical on the game's viability at this point.

Something tells me it won't control like Killer7 anyway, but you're going to have to point out the part where the article says that.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Voth wrote: »
    I felt the same way playing it, actually. After level 8, any sense of fear or tension I had was completely lost because I was armed to the teeth and the jump scares all became really predictable.

Sounds like Doom3.

Isn’t chapter 9 the one that
    took place on that teetering broken down ship that had crashed into the Ishimura and introduced those jittery fast enemies who can dash towards you really quickly?
    Because that chapter was pretty awesome and brought back some of the tension that I thought the game had been lacking in the previous couple of chapters.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Something tells me it won't control like Killer7 anyway, but you're going to have to point out the part where the article says that.

My bad, it was actually from the IGN podcast summary:
    - A little different from many were expecting
    - Will play like House of the Dead: Overkill (House of the Dead Space)
    - Developed by Eurocom and EA
    - Starts the storyline from first game
    - Want to make sound and story a big deal
    - Coming out this year - Fall or Autumn game
    - Game’s producer said the game will have flying enemies
    - Has been in development for a long time - more than a year already

Here's the link I got from Gonintendo: http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=10798

Of course, this might just be IGN saying whatever it is since I find it strange to put strategic shooting with stasis and dismemberment with the cutter the same as HoTD:Overkill's shoot everything that moves 'cept for those running scared living people.
    If anything, it should put it closer to RE:UC.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I hated Killer 7...there, I said it.
    I love the HOTD games though, and Confidential Mission on the DC was terrific.

*cowers with arms protecting head*

Scotty on
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    this is seriously lame... just when i thought there was hope for my wii library just yet.
    what sets up the deadspace story is a freaking animation movie that we certainly dont need another take on. the wii deserves better then "dead space light"

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    HoTD:

That really tickled me.

Special K on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    If my personal economy stops being as FUBAR as the global one this is on my list. The first game is golden and this looks a committed, well-made effort with actual production qualities.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Scotty wrote: »
    I hated Killer 7

:v:

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I disliked the game but enjoyed the story/style enough to pull me through to the end :P

carmofin wrote: »
    this is seriously lame... just when i thought there was hope for my wii library just yet.

I thought you got rid of your wii already?

slash000 on
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, Killer 7 was pretty flawed by not being a lightgun game, but it had an amazing atmosphere. It's one of the few games out there that generally surprised me at the end.

Anyway, we just were speculating on the control ... or in my case wishing. Even if it's just a standard lightgun game, I think I'll pick it up. I've had some good times with the genre on Wii.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I disliked the game but enjoyed the story/style enough to pull me through to the end :P

I thought you got rid of your wii already?

i thought i made myself clear i love my wii ;) i still got every right to be unhappy about the current lineup

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Killer 7 was awesome. The trick is the first level throws you into everything and you have no idea what's going on and it just seems like this weird mindfuck. Suddenly you beat the first level and everything turns awesome. It's still a mind fuck, don't get me wrong, and half of it still doesn't make sense, but it really all comes together. Honestly to this day I still haven't beaten it (I play games in short stints), but each level improved on the last, and the story and presentation are enthralling.

Sadly due to the general wackiness I almost recommend a guide for a couple areas.

This game, I hope it has a nice mix between RE: UC and Killer 7. In fact in my head I just came up with a cool way they could pull it off but I won't even mention it because I know it wouldn't happen.

Frankly though, I'm glad it's a light gun game and has co-op because that means I can justify buying it to my fiance. She loves "zombie shooting games" and variations on its ilk, and it's way easier to convince her that it's okay to buy something like Extraction than it would be if it was similar to dead space in its original incarnation.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    what sets up the deadspace story is a freaking animation movie that we certainly dont need another take on. the wii deserves better then "dead space light"

As a person who has played through Dead Space 3 times (2x on hard 1x on impossible) I'm actually really glad they decided to go completely different rather than port it over. Its been added to my games to get when I get a wii list. Just waiting on the big N to drop the price. I can be patient, I have a ps3360pc (or would that be PcS360) to keep me busy.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This isn't a case of the big kids getting Final Fantasy 12 and the little Gamecube owners are left with Crystal Chronicles. I'm sure the Wii version will be just as violent.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Woah woah hey. Crystal Chronicles was excellent. With luck this will turn out the same!

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    *lute plays*

They say that wicked creatures prowl the halls of this beautiful mining colony, but nobody's ever seen one.

I once asked a man why. He simply replied, "because anyone who happens upon one is promptly disemboweled and reanimated!"

But, it is long since anyone has met such a fate. For nowadays, people take another route, far away from the spooky old halls.

Only we walk the old way now. Travelers, with laser cutters.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    edited February 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    This isn't a case of the big kids getting Final Fantasy 12 and the little Gamecube owners are left with Crystal Chronicles. I'm sure the Wii version will be just as violent.

i would rather compare this to dragon quest /dragon quest sword.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

See that's pretty cool because Dragon Quest Swords is an awesome game.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Except the Wii is getting Dragon Quest 10?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »

well heres some hope that theyd at least bring up a version of dead space 2 for the wii when it comes around.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009

well heres some hope that theyd at least bring up a version of dead space 2 for the wii when it comes around.

Woah hey now son we are owners of a Nintendo console here - we need to reel in our expectations whenever we see them running ahead of us like only so many giddy kittens about to run into the street.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Wait, you want a watered down, late port rather than something new and exclusive?

Dragon Quest 10 happens to be exclusive, but Dead Space 2 has already been announced for the HD consoles. You want them to come out with Dead Space 2 for the Wii after it has already come out on the other systems? Is this just so you'll be able to complain that it doesn't look as good?

The Wii needs exclusives, not more Chop Til You Drops.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I for one am excited about this, and since EA has been all about quality lately I'm optimistic about it being a a good game. I'm glad it's not a port of the 360/ps3 version.

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    FUUUUUUUUUUCK YOU

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    SupersplinesSupersplines Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Falstaff wrote: »
    greeble wrote: »
    It still gets me all a-boggle when people say Dead Space was frightening.

Dead Space was an action game that was sometimes maybe shocking. I'd expect that kind of "BOO!" scare to be the kind of thing rail shooters could do well.

Did you skip normal and play on hard? Do you have surround sound? The game's scariness very much relies in having good sound, and normal is way to easy to be frightening. (Was I shitting myself while playing, no. But I definately was looking overy my shoulder both ways as I went down corridors)

I beat it on hard, yes, and I was horribly murdered a few times. Though most of them were due to the PC controls sucking. FUCK THOSE ASTEROIDS.

My problem with calling it scary is that I didn't find it terribly atmospheric, aside from the music (I used some relatively high-end headphones, if it matters). I was a faceless killing machine and didn't give a fuck about any of the game's stupid fetch-quest giving characters. It also didn't help that, by the end, I could predict how many monsters would be in any given room, and often which kind.

I don't think I was ever spooked by anything other than "Augh! I didn't expect that sudden movement!" even despite the sound effect quality.

I whole heartedly agree. I was reading about deadspace for ages, I read the whole Deadspace ruined RE5 for me crap etc, and listening to these people I bought it, and played it on hard my first run through. To my dissappointment, it was not scary, just an action game with no ammo. Which was really annoying. REALLY annoying. (I've only bought 2 weapons)

In all honesty, for me, RE4 ruined my Deadspace experience, it is all over this game in every way.

Now this Wii version could be just what I need to get me back into the Deadspace Universe.

Im keen for this.

Supersplines on
    Bonne Wii Monsieur Playstation, bonne wii...
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    It still gets me all a-boggle when people say Dead Space was frightening.

Dead Space was an action game that was sometimes maybe shocking. I'd expect that kind of "BOO!" scare to be the kind of thing rail shooters could do well.

Did you skip normal and play on hard? Do you have surround sound? The game's scariness very much relies in having good sound, and normal is way to easy to be frightening. (Was I shitting myself while playing, no. But I definately was looking overy my shoulder both ways as I went down corridors)

I beat it on hard, yes, and I was horribly murdered a few times. Though most of them were due to the PC controls sucking. FUCK THOSE ASTEROIDS.

My problem with calling it scary is that I didn't find it terribly atmospheric, aside from the music (I used some relatively high-end headphones, if it matters). I was a faceless killing machine and didn't give a fuck about any of the game's stupid fetch-quest giving characters. It also didn't help that, by the end, I could predict how many monsters would be in any given room, and often which kind.

I don't think I was ever spooked by anything other than "Augh! I didn't expect that sudden movement!" even despite the sound effect quality.

I whole heartedly agree. I was reading about deadspace for ages, I read the whole Deadspace ruined RE5 for me crap etc, and listening to these people I bought it, and played it on hard my first run through. To my dissappointment, it was not scary, just an action game with no ammo. Which was really annoying. REALLY annoying. (I've only bought 2 weapons)

In all honesty, for me, RE4 ruined my Deadspace experience, it is all over this game in every way.

Now this Wii version could be just what I need to get me back into the Deadspace Universe.

Im keen for this.
    Yeah, Dead Space just made me want to play RE4 all the time. However, the control improvements are nice - I found myself frustrated with the RE5 demo a lot. Well...I guess it was RE4 Wii that ruined RE5, though, because I pined for the Wii controls.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I honestly doubt they'll push the on rails/shooter genre ahead with this one, but I really feel like it has so much untapped potential, specially in the horror style. One can hope.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    More information on this title -

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/02/26/dead-space-wii-interview/
    ‘Dead Space Extraction’ Dev Says Wii Is ‘Very Powerful,’ Classifies Game As A ‘Guided First Person Experience’
    Posted by Stephen Totilo on 2/26/09 at 3:00 pm.

The acclaimed “Dead Space” series is coming to the Wii later this year, in the form of “Dead Space Extraction.” In an e-mail interview, the game’s executive producer has revealed a ton details to us about the game’s story, controls and more.

MTV Multiplayer: “Dead Space Extraction” has been described as a prequel, a spin-off and even as an alternate history. How exactly does this game fit in to the original game, the comics and the rest of the lore that’s out there? This game is canon, right?

“‘Extraction’ … crosses paths with some you’ve seen before in the comic, animated feature or even “Dead Space.

Steve Papoutsis, Executive Producer on ‘Dead Space Extraction‘: It’s a prequel that tells the story of a small band of survivors trying to escape the hell on Aegis 7 and get back to the Ishimura. Obviously they have no idea what awaits them there. We created a huge, rich story with thousands of people, deep subplots and many twists and turns in our original manuscript for the franchise. “Extraction” follows one of those plots with all new characters but also crosses paths with some you’ve seen before in the comic, animated feature or even “Dead Space.” It’s a finely woven thread that will give the player an all new vantage point to witness and be a part of the amazing chaos and action that happened weeks prior to Isaac arriving. Plus, “Extraction” also has some great twists, turns and surprises of it’s own. It’s a really cool story on it’s own.

MTV Multiplayer: “Dead Space Extraction” has been announced as a first-person addition to the Dead Space franchise. I understand that that means the game will be on-rails, as opposed to being a standard first-person shooter, but can you clarify exactly what kind of game this is and how we’ll be playing it?

“‘Dead Space Extraction’ is a Guided First Person Experience.”

Papoutsis: “Dead Space Extraction” is a Guided First Person Experience. The player will be presented with many choices as they play the game, ranging from which path they wish to explore to maneuvering in Zero-G. The game is being developed from the ground up to leverage the unique controls of the Nintendo Wii. Players will use their Wii Remote to aim and dismember oncoming enemies as well as use other mechanics from “Dead Space” such as Stasis and Telekinesis to name a few. When we started designing Extraction, it was important to us to make sure the Controls on the Wii felt natural and made sense. Having the use of motion controls opened up a lot of interesting possibilities for the game that we hope players will enjoy.

MTV Multiplayer: Are we still going to be dismembering enemies in Dead Space Extraction or is this a more standard shooting game?

Papoutsis:You bet! Limbs and Sacks will be flying everywhere, plus we have all new enemies and bosses to test your skills.

MTV Multiplayer: What kind of support does Dead Space Extraction have for multiple players?

” We want player 2 to feel just as involved and important as player 1.”

Papoutsis:One of my favorite new features in Extraction is our Co-Op play. Say you are playing the story mode at home and a friend drops by, with the push of a button on your second Wii Remote your friend can jump in with you and start blasting apart Necromoprhs.

It is very important to us that people can play with their friends. Our game offers players a lot of strategy options, one person can focus on Dismemberment while the other is using Stasis to slow down enemies for example. So far when we play we are having a great time figuring out what the best strategy to use is on our variety of enemies and encounters.

Another important goal for us is to make sure that both players always feel engaged, challenged and are using their skills in the game. We want player 2 to feel just as involved and important as player 1 throughout the game.

MTV Multiplayer: The Xbox 360 and PS3 Dead Space gave gamers an excellent sense of horror through high-end graphics and surround sound. For those uncertain about whether the Wii is powerful enough to deliver similar scares, what can you say?

Papoutsis:It has been great developing ‘Extraction’ on the Wii. The system is very powerful and so far we think we are doing a good job of recreating the same great Atmosphere as seen in Dead Space. If you have a chance, take a look at our first trailer video, that is 100% gameplay footage. So far I’m very happy with the visuals the team has been able to achieve. We won’t stop where we are now though, we are always trying to improve.

Thanks for the interview Stephen; I hope we can talk more about Dead Space Extraction soon or better yet play some Co-op together.

MTV Multiplayer: Thanks for your time. I’m looking forward to the game

http://www.gamecyte.com/ea-confirms-motionplus-support-for-dead-space-wii
    EA Confirms MotionPlus Support for ‘Dead Space’ Wii
    Sean Hollister | February 26, 2009

dead-space-wii-vid-6

Electronic Arts COO John Pleasants today mentioned that “Dead Space Extraction,” a Wii-exclusive rail-shooter prequel to the survival-horror original, will support the gyroscopic Wii MotionPlus peripheral when the game debuts in fall 2009.

At the 2009 Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference in San Francisco, details about how MotionPlus would be integrated were not available; Pleasants merely told attendees that the new “Dead Space” title would be “taking advantage of the MotionPlus controller,” and that the title would include zero-G dismemberment.

Earlier today, EA announced that “Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10″ and “EA SPORTS Grand Slam Tennis” would also use Nintendo’s MotionPlus accessory.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What a heap of steaming bollocks. It's a light gun game, I wish they'd stop trying to talk it up like it's something more, they sound so desperate with their jargon and their talk of this amazing world, where in a light gun game I can join in an ongoing game, as if this is some amazing new light gun game feature to be lauded like the portal gun.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's EA marketing. If they could make up a new term for pressing a button and moving a control stick they would.

Voth on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mmm, 2 player co-op. I love it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    What a heap of steaming bollocks. It's a light gun game, I wish they'd stop trying to talk it up like it's something more, they sound so desperate with their jargon and their talk of this amazing world, where in a light gun game I can join in an ongoing game, as if this is some amazing new light gun game feature to be lauded like the portal gun.

I don't think it's necessarily that simple.

For example a normal light gun game is one path through the level, or if it branches you still just take a slightly different path towards the end. Also the player is forced to look in one direction the whole time and to move continuously forward.

It would be possible to design it so that it's more like a lot of lines on a grid that you can take at any time, double back etc. for "puzzle solving" i.e. finding an item and going back to a previous area. It would also be possible to let the player look 360 degrees around himself, meaning you could get snuck up on by enemies, and the player could have control over when he walks (if not where). I have no idea if Dead Space Wii does any of these, but each would be a significant deviation from what is considered "light gun." In fact it would be more like Killer 7.

In other words, you could constrain movement to one line in 3D space but leave timing of movement and camera control totally up to the player, and thus be a mishmash of FPS and light gun.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yep. In lightgun games, at most, your viewpoint is forced and you can "peek" a little bit to the periphery at most. All enemies come from where you're looking for the most part.

What if, in this game, at any point that you're moving along the "rail," you could turn and look in any of 360 degrees? What if enemies didn't always come at you from the front, but sneak up on you from all directions, or from behind? Or from above?

Or what if you're able to control how far or how fast down the "rail" you move? What if you can stop, or move forward more slowly, in fear/anticipation of the next ambush by enemies?

This is entirely speculation, and so while it may be "on a rail," that doesn't preclude the possibility of being able to do more things outside of the purely "rail lightshooter" genre.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I don't think it's necessarily that simple.

For example a normal light gun game is one path through the level, or if it branches you still just take a slightly different path towards the end. Also the player is forced to look in one direction the whole time and to move continuously forward.

It would be possible to design it so that it's more like a lot of lines on a grid that you can take at any time, double back etc. for "puzzle solving" i.e. finding an item and going back to a previous area. It would also be possible to let the player look 360 degrees around himself, meaning you could get snuck up on by enemies, and the player could have control over when he walks (if not where). I have no idea if Dead Space Wii does any of these, but each would be a significant deviation from what is considered "light gun." In fact it would be more like Killer 7.

In other words, you could constrain movement to one line in 3D space but leave timing of movement and camera control totally up to the player, and thus be a mishmash of FPS and light gun.

While we're making up the game as we go along, I think there's a good chance that the final boss requires you to out rap Mothra.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The game could also require you wear remotes on your feet, and mimic walking.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Haha, that would be hilarious... Yet awesome.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

OK, we get it.

We could speculate all day long, and it will still likely be a game that is more akin to REUC or maybe even HOT.D.OK, but perhaps with more strategy revolving around dismemberment.

I agree with you.

But it's still fun to speculate. Meanwhile, I think a traditional lightgun shooter would be totally awesome, but if they do something more "out there" I'd be totally down for that, too.

slash000 on