As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead Space Wii announced

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Have we had any confirmation about whether this is a "port" or if this is a "new game?"

I was under the impression that this is a new game.

slash000 on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Have we had any confirmation about whether this is a "port" or if this is a "new game?"

There won't be any new info on this game until E3 at least. The press release wording sounds closer to port than new game though we really have no clue either way. It's best not to assume anything.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited February 2009

There won't be any new info on this game until E3 at least. The press release wording sounds closer to port than new game though we really have no clue either way. It's best not to assume anything.

OK cool

slash000 on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Okie doke, just downloaded and played the Dead Space demo.

It gets a giant "eh". It really did feel like RE4 in Space. The controls were a bit too clunky and complicated. Wiimote aiming should really enhance the experience.

Really looks like it's gonna be one of those games that the Wii makes better.

Gonna be honest, that's EXACTLY how I felt about the game when I played the demo. But I bought it anyway, and holy shit it is perfect. Really awkward going from the GCN controller (for RE4-ish games) to the 360 controller, but after a little bit it felt right.

urahonky on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    To me, the top-notch graphics of Dead Space were important to the atmosphere. If they do it well they may be able to retain it, but I'm skepticle.

Why? Metroid Prime did the same atmosphere this game does back on the Gamecube in 2002.

Metroid Prime had good atmosphere but it also had a much difference atmosphere. Dead Space's suspense would be lessened by graphics that aren't as good. But who gives a fuck? I'm not buying it as I already own the game and regardless of what I say those that disagree with me will continue to disagree with me.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    To me, the top-notch graphics of Dead Space were important to the atmosphere. If they do it well they may be able to retain it, but I'm skepticle.

Why? Metroid Prime did the same atmosphere this game does back on the Gamecube in 2002.

Metroid Prime had good atmosphere but it also had a much difference atmosphere. Dead Space's suspense would be lessened by graphics that aren't as good. But who gives a fuck? I'm not buying it as I already own the game and regardless of what I say those that disagree with me will continue to disagree with me.

Dead Space is incredibly dark though. So obviously it can mask some of the "non-HD graphics". Plus we probably have about a year till this comes out. I'm sure we will all be proven wrong somehow. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    urahonky wrote: »

Dead Space is incredibly dark though. So obviously it can mask some of the "non-HD graphics". Plus we probably have about a year till this comes out. I'm sure we will all be proven wrong somehow. :P

Well, I own a 360 and don't have the game yet I'll likely pick up the Wii version.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Well, I own a 360 and don't have the game yet I'll likely pick up the Wii version.

True. But I say you should probably wait till we get more information on it. If it's a port then yeah you should wait for the Wii version, but if it's a prequel or something it'd be nice to play the original first (rental for sure, takes maybe 8-15 hours to beat... Depending on how slow you are... I was at 15 myself hehe).

But really I'm going to own all 3 versions. I beat the 360 one during the new year break. I'll be renting the PS3 one here in a few months (with Gamefly, and I'll probably keep it for like $30), and then when the Wii version comes out (depending on the quality of the game) I will own that too.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The best thing about this news is the very, very slim hope it provides for a possible Wii version of RE5.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The demo really doesn't do the game justice. I was pretty indifferent to the game from the demo, but picked it up on Amazon's Black Friday sale. It was one of my favorite games of the year. (Just do yourself a favor and play on hard your first game, normal is way to easy and removes all the tension) But yeah I'd at least rent it on the 360 then buy the wii version if you are so inclined.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    The demo really doesn't do the game justice. I was pretty indifferent to the game from the demo, but picked it up on Amazon's Black Friday sale. It was one of my favorite games of the year. (Just do yourself a favor and play on hard your first game, normal is way to easy and removes all the tension) But yeah I'd at least rent it on the 360 then buy the wii version if you are so inclined.

I really didn't enjoy the DS demo at all, and the non stop love the game gets everywhere puzzles me because of it. I wonder how many sales Capcom lost because of the quality of the demo. Mine was one.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

I really didn't enjoy the DS demo at all, and the non stop love the game gets everywhere puzzles me because of it. I wonder how many sales Capcom lost because of the quality of the demo. Mine was one.

Pretty much. The demo made it feel like RE4 with a control scheme that's 20 times more complicated than it needs to be.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's not a complex game at all - while they walk directly at you, shoot the leg twice, shoot the arm twice. Or, conversely, shoot each tentacle twice, or in case of the black version, shoot a bunch of times. Rinse and repeat for 10 hours. There's really nothing about the gameplay itself that demands dexterity or maneuvering. If you enjoy the atmosphere, you'll most likely enjoy the game.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    It's not a complex game at all - while they walk directly at you, shoot the leg twice, shoot the arm twice. Or, conversely, shoot each tentacle twice, or in case of the black version, shoot a bunch of times. Rinse and repeat for 10 hours. There's really nothing about the gameplay itself that demands dexterity or maneuvering. If you enjoy the atmosphere, you'll most likely enjoy the game.

Though if you only played the demo you'll feel like everything is needlessly complicated. I know I did (played the PS3 demo first) but I knew I'd like the game overall and ended up buying it. After a few hours I felt like a professional.

urahonky on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I don't understand how developers can be confused about this. If the demo isn't fuck-awesome or at least good don't bother. Better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Also for a second I was wondering how we were debating the possibility of a Wii version of Dead Space if there was already a DS one :lol:

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Op updated with trailer.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    There are now 2 threads for this!

What do we do!!??

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I was here first?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Looks like a rails shooter from the trailer.

That's... disappointing. These companies need new Product Managers.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    edited February 2009

No, actually, it's great news. It's a far better strategy than, say, making another third person shooter. Capcom tried that and look at the reaction.

This is great. Plus, there's lots of potential for an awesome game here. And there's incentive for original Dead Space owners to get it.

This is the best route.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm only a mild fan of rail shooters, but there are plenty of traditional horror games in development for the Wii (Fatal Frame 4, Cursed Mountain, the Calling), and this is at least graphically impressive.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

No, actually, it's great news. It's a far better strategy than, say, making another third person shooter. Capcom tried that and look at the reaction.

This is great. Plus, there's lots of potential for an awesome game here. And there's incentive for original Dead Space owners to get it.

This is the best route.

I think Capcom's sin was taking an open-world action game and making it into a third-person shooter; I think that Wii-only people were specifically hoping for a TPS, but for my own sake I'm glad Extraction is getting an on-rails presentation.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm all for something different, believe me. Use the wii remote to its fullest extent and all that.

But another rails shooter? Ugh. It's the same response I would have if it were a collection of mini games.

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    But another rails shooter?

I guess it is more akin to Myst or Killer 7, as press release promises puzzles.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    There aren't THAT many lightgun games Doc. :)

RE: UC
    HotD 2/3
    HotD Overkill
    Link's Crossbow Training
    Ghost Squad

Then there's this. You can't compare that to minigame collections, because I'm sure I would go over the character limit if I typed them all out. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    There aren't THAT many lightgun games Doc. :)

RE: UC
    HotD 2/3
    HotD Overkill
    Link's Crossbow Training
    Ghost Squad

Then there's this. You can't compare that to minigame collections, because I'm sure I would go over the character limit if I typed them all out. :)

There's... uh... there's nerfgun shoot em up. And... uh... that one WiiWare game... and Target: Terror.

Ok you have a point.

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm all for something different, believe me. Use the wii remote to its fullest extent and all that.

But another rails shooter? Ugh. It's the same response I would have if it were a collection of mini games.

Are you kiddin' me?

REUC, Ghost Squad, HOTD23, HOTD Overkill, and to a very minor/lessor extent, Link's CBT, these are the only lightgunners that matter.

4 or 5 games? C'mon.

Plus, these games are not only awesome, but all very distinct in their gameplay and presentation. REUC is extremely different from Ghost Squad which is very different from HOTD23 which is very different from Link's CBT, which is very different from Overkill.

It's great.

Do you sigh when a new first person shooter or western RPG is announced for the 360? Or a new RPG is announced for the NDS or PSP?

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Do you sigh when a new first person shooter or western RPG is announced for the 360? Or a new RPG is announced for the NDS or PSP?

Y... Yes? I mean no.

Wait... I mean yes.

At least a FPS or RPG feels like a cohesive experience with dedicated artistic direction, dialogue, plot, a feeling of accomplishment. There just isn't much depth to Lightgun games comparatively and I was hoping for a Dead Space game with the budget and care put into the original Dead Space.

But whatevs, it's not out so I can't gripe that much, yet. These are just my kneejerk reactions to "rails shooter hey hey hey". Also I know you're a rails shooter fan, Slash, and I'm not. So we may as well wrestle about it.

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As long as the designers don't take 'on rails lightgun game' to mean 'six hours on the first playthrough is a GREATR value'. HotD Overkill had that pop up EVERYWHERE I read reviews, and I don't care about the genre's arcade origins or the value that comes from replaying for minimum credit use. If you want the unwashed masses the genre needs to incoporate some of the developments that have come along outside its borders, including revising a basic game structure that hasn't really changed since the arcade heyday.

Give me a lightgun style game that follows a path more like that of the typical third person action game ala RE4 and I might be interested. Give me another arcade style game that can be finished in 4 hours and I'll lose all interest until I can bargain bin it. Maybe.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    My beef was just with the kind of connotation that there are just so many of these games available... that's like saying.. there are too many Adventure games coming out these days... or ... too many Roguelikes or... too many 2D fighters or something.

Also I will say that the console-centric rail shooters have a lot more content and depth than traditional arcade-focused games. REUC is a testament to that.

slash000 on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I wouldn't have even considered it before, but another lightgun Wii game is always a good thing.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Awwww, rail shooter. Goddamn.

I'm still amazed at everyone here complaining about how the lack of real-time lighting and shadows would destroy the game. Are all the haters too young to remember Silent Hill 2? The lighting was of lesser complexity, but it sure worked to create an atmosphere of pure dread.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I guess my complaint is that 'more depth than arcade lightgun games' is similar to saying 'less shallow than Paris Hilton' - it may be true, but it's a backhanded compliment at best. I can see how it's happened; fans of the genre LIKE that contsruction. But there's nothing inherently keeping lightgun style games from evolving into more content rich, player directed, extended games in order to attract more gamers who like the basic idea of the genre (point gun, dismember zombies) but feel like they've come to expect more from the overall experience.

There's no reason why a lightgun game couldn't follow a 20 hour length, have dozens of enemy types, implement an experience system that allows extensive character customization through weapon and skill upgrades or even loot generation, etc. We've seen a TON of seepage between genres, and lightgun games have been really resistant to that for some reason. I'd personally like to see that evolution, and I'd *probably* go from barely interested to day one buy just on principle if they even attempt it seriously here.

I think RE:UC implements some of these elements, and Overkill a couple more, but nothing does it very cohesively that I'm aware of. I won't play either of those games until I can get them dead cheap (if then, due to time constraints) but I am curious.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, let's see what they do first before we start complaining about it's depth. I do agree that more can be done with the genre as it exists today, but you never know what EA will pull out of it's hat.

Look at Skate. Ok... maybe don't look at Skate 2, but you know what I mean.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Wait, why does everyone think that it's a rail shooter? The trailer in the op barely shows any gameplay, and it didn't give me a distinctly on-rail feel.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wait, why does everyone think that it's a rail shooter? The trailer in the op barely shows any gameplay, and it didn't give me a distinctly on-rail feel.

There's an interview with the producer where he states it's a rail shooter.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/954/954895p1.html
    http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14320036/dead-space/videos/deadspace_wiitrailer_021709.html
    EA and Eurocom craft a ground-up Wii prequel with first-person on-rails gameplay.
    According to EA, "Dead Space Extraction will marry the innovative motion controls of the Wii Remote with a frenetic first person perspective to create a new action-packed horror experience."

In Dead Space Extraction, gamers will take on the role of an all-new heroine and join a group of colonists struggling to escape the infection that has corrupted the Aegis VII mining colony. In a release, revealed a few general details about the game, stating, "Dead Space Extraction introduces new characters, weapons, enemies, puzzles and cooperative multiplayer gameplay."
    Fuck it. There is also a trailer.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I guess my complaint is that 'more depth than arcade lightgun games' is similar to saying 'less shallow than Paris Hilton' - it may be true, but it's a backhanded compliment at best. I can see how it's happened; fans of the genre LIKE that contsruction. But there's nothing inherently keeping lightgun style games from evolving into more content rich, player directed, extended games in order to attract more gamers who like the basic idea of the genre (point gun, dismember zombies) but feel like they've come to expect more from the overall experience.

There's no reason why a lightgun game couldn't follow a 20 hour length, have dozens of enemy types, implement an experience system that allows extensive character customization through weapon and skill upgrades or even loot generation, etc. We've seen a TON of seepage between genres, and lightgun games have been really resistant to that for some reason. I'd personally like to see that evolution, and I'd *probably* go from barely interested to day one buy just on principle if they even attempt it seriously here.

I think RE:UC implements some of these elements, and Overkill a couple more, but nothing does it very cohesively that I'm aware of. I won't play either of those games until I can get them dead cheap (if then, due to time constraints) but I am curious.

Did you play DQ Swords? It has a lot of what you're talking about—RPG elements, equipment, gold and items, and more—and it ended up with I think 8-12 hours of gameplay. Fittingly, most of the reviews at the time blasted it for not being as long as "other Dragon Quest games." As a light-gun/RPG hybrid, that seems a good length.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    ahhh, I didn't see that post at all. Thank you both :)

Now I'm definitely interested in this. The atmosphere in the trailer is pretty good, and playing through the Dead Space world on rails would make it feel rather fresh.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just played RE: UC again a few second ago, and I honestly might not mind another game like this. I know which I'd prefer if I was given the choice between 3rd Person and Rail-Shooter mechanics, but I'll take whatever. The screenshots look pretty good too.

Drunk_caterpillar on