As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead Space Wii announced

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm one of the few that wants to see a revival of on-rail shooters. I just want one with a 2 player mode that you can actually tell who's cursor is who's.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I guess my complaint is that 'more depth than arcade lightgun games' is similar to saying 'less shallow than Paris Hilton' - it may be true, but it's a backhanded compliment at best. I can see how it's happened; fans of the genre LIKE that contsruction. But there's nothing inherently keeping lightgun style games from evolving into more content rich, player directed, extended games in order to attract more gamers who like the basic idea of the genre (point gun, dismember zombies) but feel like they've come to expect more from the overall experience.

There's no reason why a lightgun game couldn't follow a 20 hour length, have dozens of enemy types, implement an experience system that allows extensive character customization through weapon and skill upgrades or even loot generation, etc. We've seen a TON of seepage between genres, and lightgun games have been really resistant to that for some reason. I'd personally like to see that evolution, and I'd *probably* go from barely interested to day one buy just on principle if they even attempt it seriously here.

I think RE:UC implements some of these elements, and Overkill a couple more, but nothing does it very cohesively that I'm aware of. I won't play either of those games until I can get them dead cheap (if then, due to time constraints) but I am curious.

Did you play DQ Swords? It has a lot of what you're talking about—RPG elements, equipment, gold and items, and more—and it ended up with I think 8-12 hours of gameplay. Fittingly, most of the reviews at the time blasted it for not being as long as "other Dragon Quest games." As a light-gun/RPG hybrid, that seems a good length.
    I was just going to say this. It's basically everything he mentioned.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DQ Swords is indeed surprisingly good, especially given the lukewarm reviews.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    If they are going to downscale the graphics as much as they invariably will, why not stylize it more and go for impact rather than "The same stuff but it had to be grainy"? I mean a lot of Dead Space's appeal comes from the peerless audiovisual surroundings, with fucking crazy lightning and sound crowding your brain, and somehow the essence of this needs to be preserved or it will all look Sweded or like Dead Rising Wii.

Imagine - on rails mechanics plus more stylized visuals plus violence and pinpointing lim-It's Killer 7 you guys.

Oh my fucking lack of a deity.

Edit: Also, a heroine shooting stuff and perhaps screaming viciously while stomping fleshy shit to oblivion? Vishnu's semen this fucking game is going to be a nuke.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    DQ Swords is indeed surprisingly good, especially given the lukewarm reviews.

Early Wii reviews were all over the map in terms of controls ... well, I guess Wii reviews still are, but particularly early in the Wii's life, reviewers were extra harsh on games that had control schemes that took some learning. I admittedly haven't put that much time into DQS—it's on my backlog, but I've put about two hours into it—and while slashing where you want to has a bit of a learning curve, I'm glad I gambled on it and didn't listen to all the reviews shitting on the controls.

Related to Dead Space, I'm definitely more interested in the game now that it's got more of a light-gun type of angle. (Though I still have to pick up Overkill.) I would hope that it keeps things like different weapons, upgrading your RIG and other gear by finding power nodes, and such.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I guess my complaint is that 'more depth than arcade lightgun games' is similar to saying 'less shallow than Paris Hilton' - it may be true, but it's a backhanded compliment at best. I can see how it's happened; fans of the genre LIKE that contsruction. But there's nothing inherently keeping lightgun style games from evolving into more content rich, player directed, extended games in order to attract more gamers who like the basic idea of the genre (point gun, dismember zombies) but feel like they've come to expect more from the overall experience.

There's no reason why a lightgun game couldn't follow a 20 hour length, have dozens of enemy types, implement an experience system that allows extensive character customization through weapon and skill upgrades or even loot generation, etc. We've seen a TON of seepage between genres, and lightgun games have been really resistant to that for some reason. I'd personally like to see that evolution, and I'd *probably* go from barely interested to day one buy just on principle if they even attempt it seriously here.

I think RE:UC implements some of these elements, and Overkill a couple more, but nothing does it very cohesively that I'm aware of. I won't play either of those games until I can get them dead cheap (if then, due to time constraints) but I am curious.

Did you play DQ Swords? It has a lot of what you're talking about—RPG elements, equipment, gold and items, and more—and it ended up with I think 8-12 hours of gameplay. Fittingly, most of the reviews at the time blasted it for not being as long as "other Dragon Quest games." As a light-gun/RPG hybrid, that seems a good length.
    I was just going to say this. It's basically everything he mentioned.

That hadn't popped into my head since it's not really a GUN game, but yeah that's a good example. Still, quite short compared to the norm if I remember right though. 8 hours would be considered a terrible value in just about any genre outside of the 'on rails' sector.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    8-10 hours is roughly the standard for action games, really. That includes $60 360/PS3 action games.

slash000 on
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I guess EA did include a lightgun mode for Medal of Honor Heroes 2, but I never tried it. I should probably pop it in to see how they handled it.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I am not very good at judging how much time I spend on games but in DQS I definitely played more than 15, and could've gone to 20. I repeated areas a lot to grind for rare items to upgrade my equipment, and there are really tough "challenge" boss fights at the end that I didn't bother to complete.

Of course 7-8 is probably the minimum required if you just want to beat it and shelve it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'll agree with the sentiment that it's a good thing EA isn't making a downgraded port of the next gen game.... but I also don't caring about this now. At least I don't have much invested in this franchise and wasn't hyping myself up for the "next great hardcore Wii game". I'd have a hard time coping if the next Metroid was a rail shooter or something....

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'd have a hard time coping if the next Metroid was a rail shooter or something....
    If it was supposed to be a side story game or a retread like Prime Pinball, I'd be all over it. Why not?

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'd have a hard time coping if the next Metroid was a rail shooter or something....
    If it was supposed to be a side story game or a retread like Prime Pinball, I'd be all over it. Why not?

Now that you mention it, there still hasn't been a real Metroid game on the DS. I didn't care much about Hunters either.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    all these Wii rail games and no new Starfox

the universe is truly a broken place

Tig on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    8-10 hours is roughly the standard for action games, really. That includes $60 360/PS3 action games.

I dunno about that. While I hardly have time to play every action game ever, initial runs of action-oriented games that I've played on the 360 have all been at least 12-14 hours. The original Dead Space took me more than 12 hours to finish; I never got stuck for more than 15 minutes and I felt like I was moving through the game pretty quickly. I see no reason that a lightgun game can't offer more content than can easily be completed in a rental period, especially when many of the assets already exist and could simply be expanded on.

Aside from game length, I think this was a smart move on the part of EA. They won't end up making a muddy-looking crappy port and will instead convert current assets into a full-on Wii exclusive. That trailer seriously looks really awesome to me to the point where I'm wondering if that's how the Wii game will actually look. I really enjoyed Dead Space and I've got a brother who loves/hates the game. I can almost guarantee he'll buy this Wii game just because it's not a Dead Space port and is instead a completely different game, albeit on the Wii.

360/PS3 owners have the original Dead Space and this game will entice them to buy another entry in the franchise (myself included) on a different system. I would think people would all be happy to see another potential much-needed quality title on the Wii. Boo hoo, it isn't a direct port of the original game. Well, the Wii is a relatively weak system hardware-wise, so devs not being able to adequately port HD games to the Wii shouldn't be a surprise.

Unless this turns out to be a half-assed game; then everything I've said would be pretty pointless. I don't think Neo-EA will go that route, though. Well, I hope it doesn't, anyway.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Tig wrote: »

Man, it's like a freakin' Twilight Zone episode. Every game is a rail shooter, except for Star Fox. D:

RidleySaria on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Man, it's like a freakin' Twilight Zone episode. Every game is a rail shooter, except for Star Fox. D:

Now that you mention it... It makes me sad.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    urahonky wrote: »

Now that you mention it... It makes me sad.

"Ninini- wink wink wink" - Peppy

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I dunno about that. While I hardly have time to play every action game ever, initial runs of action-oriented games that I've played on the 360 have all been at least 12-14 hours.

Devil May Cry, God of War, Prince of Persia, Mirror's Edge, Heavenly Sword, COD4, Ninja Gaiden, Condemned, the recent Tomb Raiders, Shadow of the Colossus, the list goes on forever. Some action games get knocked points for being longer than ~10is hours, like Assassin's Creed, or Doom 3.

brb in a bit

slash000 on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Mhhmmm - does this mean Capcom will put in DQ:S style Devil May Cry for the Wii? Time your combos correctly with waggle! :P

Mirror's Edge on rails a la those timed arcade adventure games where you have to do QTE to pass the scene? :lol:

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I still haven't played the original but I'll probably pick this one up too, the trailer was sufficiently frightening.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's a lightgun game - it's never ever going to be frightening.
    If you want tense and frightening atmosphere, just get the game on PC or HD consoles.

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Arde wrote: »
    If you want tense and frightening atmosphere, just get the game on PC or HD consoles.

Never played Umbrella Chronicles I take it?

It has a slow pace and tons of atmosphere and can be nerve wracking at times. I can see things being adjusted even a bit more still to create a real sense of terror.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    edited February 2009

Aside from game length, I think this was a smart move on the part of EA. They won't end up making a muddy-looking crappy port and will instead convert current assets into a full-on Wii exclusive. That trailer seriously looks really awesome to me to the point where I'm wondering if that's how the Wii game will actually look. I really enjoyed Dead Space and I've got a brother who loves/hates the game. I can almost guarantee he'll buy this Wii game just because it's not a Dead Space port and is instead a completely different game, albeit on the Wii.

360/PS3 owners have the original Dead Space and this game will entice them to buy another entry in the franchise (myself included) on a different system. I would think people would all be happy to see another potential much-needed quality title on the Wii. Boo hoo, it isn't a direct port of the original game. Well, the Wii is a relatively weak system hardware-wise, so devs not being able to adequately port HD games to the Wii shouldn't be a surprise.

Unless this turns out to be a half-assed game; then everything I've said would be pretty pointless. I don't think Neo-EA will go that route, though. Well, I hope it doesn't, anyway.

Except for the first part of this post (I already responded), I agree with all of this quoted here.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Mblackwell wrote: »

Never played Umbrella Chronicles I take it?

It has a slow pace and tons of atmosphere and can be nerve wracking at times. I can see things being adjusted even a bit more still to create a real sense of terror.

Nah, I've played it - I couldn't take it seriously at all since it's a rail shooter pretty much.
    I guess I'm just not the target of this type of games.

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Did you even watch the trailer? Jesus.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Cloudman wrote: »
    Did you even watch the trailer? Jesus.

It's a lightgun gameplay - again, lightgun games are just not scary and definitely not atmospheric for me at all. I dig the humorous tone of HoTD though.

Serious, slow-paced lightgun games are just not up my alley. I guess it's just different for other people.

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The original wasn't exactly frightening. I think it matches the light gun style better, actually, since it was already heavily scripted and predictable.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    unknownsome1unknownsome1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As long the folks making this port get the gameplay right, it'll be fine. The graphics might not look as great as the graphics on the other versions, but I'm sure it'll still look fine but I don't think the game is going to sell very well on the Wii since the 360/PS3 version will probably cost less by the time it gets released. Price is always a factor for me when I buy a game due to my tight budget.

unknownsome1 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    As long the folks making this port get the gameplay right, it'll be fine. The graphics might not look as great as the graphics on the other versions, but I'm sure it'll still look fine but I don't think the game is going to sell very well on the Wii since the 360/PS3 version will probably cost less by the time it gets released. Price is always a factor for me when I buy a game due to my tight budget.

I guess I could assume this is a joke post, but just in case, this is not a port, and "the folks" making it are the people who made the original game. The 360/PS3 Dead Space will probably cost less when it comes out but this doesn't really have any bearing on anything since it's a different game (a prequel to be precise).

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

It's not a port - it's a new lightgun game set in the Dead Space world.

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited February 2009

On-rails game...we don't know enough to assume it's pure "light gun." On-rails could mean you still have the option to progress or retreat, look all around you, interact with the environment etc.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It still gets me all a-boggle when people say Dead Space was frightening.

Dead Space was an action game that was sometimes maybe shocking. I'd expect that kind of "BOO!" scare to be the kind of thing rail shooters could do well.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Falstaff wrote: »

Dead Space was an action game that was sometimes maybe shocking. I'd expect that kind of "BOO!" scare to be the kind of thing rail shooters could do well.

Did you skip normal and play on hard? Do you have surround sound? The game's scariness very much relies in having good sound, and normal is way to easy to be frightening. (Was I shitting myself while playing, no. But I definately was looking overy my shoulder both ways as I went down corridors)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Maybe it will be like Killer 7 movement. That sounds about right really, and there's already the laser thing that shows you where you need to go.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Any comparisons to Killer 7 will instantly make me more interested in a game.

This is to be expected however

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Gee, the graphics in the trailer look pretty damn awesome. That and the fact it's a completely different game..I'll probably get this when it comes out.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    Falstaff wrote: »

Did you skip normal and play on hard? Do you have surround sound? The game's scariness very much relies in having good sound, and normal is way to easy to be frightening. (Was I shitting myself while playing, no. But I definately was looking overy my shoulder both ways as I went down corridors)

I beat it on hard, yes, and I was horribly murdered a few times. Though most of them were due to the PC controls sucking. FUCK THOSE ASTEROIDS.

My problem with calling it scary is that I didn't find it terribly atmospheric, aside from the music (I used some relatively high-end headphones, if it matters). I was a faceless killing machine and didn't give a fuck about any of the game's stupid fetch-quest giving characters. It also didn't help that, by the end, I could predict how many monsters would be in any given room, and often which kind.

I don't think I was ever spooked by anything other than "Augh! I didn't expect that sudden movement!" even despite the sound effect quality.

Edit for topicality: I'm glad this is a prequel. A big part of my disappointment in Dead Space's "horror" was that it never really focussed on how people changed mentally. Big bloody monsters are creepy, but for psychological horror you need a human element in the mix somewhere. Dead Space's ephemeral "survivors" and that post cult-suicide level were decent attempts at this, but didn't really go far enough.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I felt the same way playing it, actually. After level 8, any sense of fear or tension I had was completely lost because I was armed to the teeth and the jump scares all became really predictable.

Still, for a while it was pretty tense, and I really like the use of light and fog. It's no Silent Hill, but it was still a fun little romp.

Anyway, I hope this game manages to meet EA's expectations. I think if they give it another go, they'll address any concerns about the first game.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    unknownsome1unknownsome1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Well if that's the case, then I guess this upcoming game would sell pretty well assuming it's done right. I'm glad it'll be a new game instead of a port.

unknownsome1 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Voth wrote: »
    I felt the same way playing it, actually. After level 8, any sense of fear or tension I had was completely lost because I was armed to the teeth and the jump scares all became really predictable.

Sounds like Doom3.

slash000 on