Options

Mormons are fucking prompt

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »
    Belruel wrote: »
    "They are stuck in limbo until baptized" is a completely false characterization of the Mormon belief

oh good grief you are arguing over semantics. if anyone wished to know more they could go look it up, i was just being general and you're just being silly

It's not semantics. It is actually just wrong.

ah yes, and me saying 'the souls waiting to enter into the kingdom of heaven' is so much clearer to a non-mormon than just using a term they already know that means 'not in a good or bad place while dead yet'

why does this bother you so much?

Because it's silly. Not the idea of limbo, but the idea that you can't leave until you are baptized. The Mormon belief is that if you live on Earth you are essentially saved and you will go to Heaven. The 'limbo' you speak of is where everyone goes when they die until the rapture.

Yup, semantics. I think people got what Bel meant.
    Oh she was perfectly clear. She was just wrong.

Okay, seriously? I'm under the impression that she and I were raised in this fucking church. Apparently, you have some sort of superior knowledge that doesn't require us to simplify Mormon terminology for you. Congrats.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Also I mean really

What does limbo mean

"Not in heaven or hell, but you ain't livin' either"

Huh

Funny that sounds a lot like "waiting to enter the kingdom of Heaven"

Me Too! on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Do you think they have board games in Limbo?

Just Sorry!

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »
    "They are stuck in limbo until baptized" is a completely false characterization of the Mormon belief

oh good grief you are arguing over semantics. if anyone wished to know more they could go look it up, i was just being general and you're just being silly

ah yes, and me saying 'the souls waiting to enter into the kingdom of heaven' is so much clearer to a non-mormon than just using a term they already know that means 'not in a good or bad place while dead yet'

Because it's silly. Not the idea of limbo, but the idea that you can't leave until you are baptized. The Mormon belief is that if you live on Earth you are essentially saved and you will go to Heaven. The 'limbo' you speak of is where everyone goes when they die until the rapture.
    Then what's the point of being baptized in soeone else's name

I thought that was something to do with getting them into heaven without waiting for the rapture
    Nope! According to the Mormon belief, when you die you go to this 'limbo' area. Then the rapture. Then there are multiple tiers of 'glory' and to achieve the highest tier, one must accept the gospel and be baptized. Other than that, the actions of your earthly life dictate your glory. But even bad people go to Heaven, they just go to the lowest level of Heaven.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So did anyone figure out why Mormons are so prompt yet?

Because I think the answer is pretty simple.

They don't have anything to do other than go around converting people.

They have to be quick or the Pentacostals will get em. And the Episcopalians are right behind them.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Okay, seriously? I'm under the impression that she and I were raised in this fucking church. Apparently, you have some sort of superior knowledge that doesn't require us to simplify Mormon terminology for you. Congrats.
    Hi, I was raised in the Church and attended regularly until I was 19. Hmmmmm.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    See that confused me

"Limbo" is simpler and makes much more sense

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    See that confused me

Oh no, the limbo does exist but nobody believes that you can bypass it by being baptised.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

so you are probably not the target audience for simplifications to explain mormon beliefs to someone unfamiliar with them

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

so you are probably not the target audience for simplifications to explain mormon beliefs to someone unfamiliar with them

Look saying that you can't exit limbo until you are baptised is not the Mormon belief. It has nothing to do with the simplicity of the language, dude.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

exactly, if i started spouting shit about the telestial and celestial kingdoms and the glory therewithin, people are going to want those explained, and i wasn't teaching a class here

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Look saying that you can't exit limbo until you are baptised is not the Mormon belief. It has nothing to do with the simplicity of the language, dude.

Whooooosh

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I once heard that Mormons believe that you can *become* a god after you die or something like that.

:?:

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Argus wrote: »
    I once heard that Mormons believe that you can *become* a god after you die or something like that.

True. True. And true.

The idea is that God is raising His Children to be like Him.

I always hated capitalizing those words.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Guys fuck this I just built a fire

I AM MAN

I HAVE MADE FIRE

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

True. True. And true.

So, like, in Ghostbusters 2 where the woman goes "Are you a god?" "No." "Then, DIE!"

would just have an ironic scene after that if he died, where he's all "Ok, *now* I'm a god. Bitch."

LIFE-CHANGING

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

True. True. And true.

He should've just made more of Him if He was so Lonely.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Whooooosh

Look, fella. There is a difference between simplifying something so that those unfamiliar with the subject can understand and making false statements about that subject. She did the second one!

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Whooooosh

Look, fella. There is a difference between simplifying something so that those unfamiliar with the subject can understand and making false statements about that subject. She did the second one!

Whoooooosh

It's like Nascar in here!

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited February 2009

Whooooosh

Whoooooosh

Oh cool, I get it you are just fucking dumb. Good thing we cleared that up.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Good thing we cleared that up.

So I'm still waiting to hear about the tiers of heaven and what's up in that bizz-nitch.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Whooooosh

Whoooooosh

Heckling you is a better use of my time than arguing over pointless stuff.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So Mormons have apparently infiltrated my home town in Western Colorado. I knew like 3 different kids in my K-12 school-life that were Mormon. Now it's close to 10-15% from what I gather. My mom had to sell my dads dental practice recently after he passed away. I found out from his friends that no new dentist has started practicing in the area in the last 10 years that was not Mormon.

It was nice growing up in a neighborhood on top of a steep hill, hardly any door to door visits. Though I guess I didn't realize till recently that it had become so prevalent. I don't have any hate for them, just a small tinge of disdain stemming mostly from individuals rather than the religion itself I guess.

So there ya go, Mormons!

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Whooooosh

Whoooooosh

You could always read a book

read a book

read a motherfuckin book

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Whooooosh

Whoooooosh

You could always read a book

read a book

read a motherfuckin book

Like maybe one that has the definition of semantics in it.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

So I'm still waiting to hear about the tiers of heaven and what's up in that bizz-nitch.

So yeah, as it turns out, I was serious. :|

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    See that confused me

Oh no, the limbo does exist but nobody believes that you can bypass it by being baptised.
    I don't understand, are you saying you bypass this limbo by simply living on earth? What's the point of it then? Or is it some midtier of heaven?

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

aight yeah

here's a visual aid

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/eb/The_Plan_of_Salvation.jpg/800px-The_Plan_of_Salvation.jpg

the 'spirit world' is the 'limbo'
    then the rapture
    then the division

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    See that confused me

I don't understand, are you saying you bypass this limbo by simply living on earth? What's the point of it then? Or is it some midtier of heaven?

no, you are guaranteed to go to heaven if you are on earth
    you go to limbo when you die and await the rapture
    then you are split into the different levels of heaven
    see my visual aid

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

aight yeah

here's a visual aid

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/eb/The_Plan_of_Salvation.jpg/800px-The_Plan_of_Salvation.jpg

then the rapture
    then the division

What is the difference between Celestial, Terrestrial, and Telestial Kingdoms, and what is the Outer Darkness/do only people who don't live on Earth go there?

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Wow.

What's the Outer Darkness all about?

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Wow.

People who are given witness to God and turn their backs on Him are sent there. In other words: hell.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited February 2009

aight yeah

here's a visual aid

then the rapture
    then the division

What is the difference between Celestial, Terrestrial, and Telestial Kingdoms, and what is the Outer Darkness/do only people who don't live on Earth go there?

Celestial is the highest glory and so on. Basically criminals and murderers and shit go to the lowest kingdom. It is believed that even though it is the lowest kingdom it is still a paradise.
    Outer darkness are where those who have denied god go
    this is basically like cain and judas and those types

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So, people who were atheists go to the Outer Darkness, or people who have actually seen God and decided that he wasn't for them?

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So, people who were atheists go to the Outer Darkness, or people who have actually seen God and decided that he wasn't for them?

The second one.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited February 2009
    I'll bet that place is full of rock and roll.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

aight yeah

here's a visual aid

then the rapture
    then the division

Celestial is the highest glory and so on. Basically criminals and murderers and shit go to the lowest kingdom. It is believed that even though it is the lowest kingdom it is still a paradise.

Also:

1) How does pre-mortal existence relate to the spirit world and the other shit? Like, do they interact?
    2) If someone doesn't live on Earth, do they go to the 'limbo'-esque spirit world or not?
    3) So on Terrestrial paradise you get to drink like 2 shots of vodka a second, while on Telestial you get 3? I guess what I'm saying is, how do you have multiple levels of paradise, because that sounds like multiplying infinity by 2 instead of 3, which is incomprehensible.
    4) Is the Outer Darkness just a total lack of sensation?

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wow.

People who are given witness to God and turn their backs on Him are sent there. In other words: hell.

if we're wrong we can hi5 there

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'll bet that place is full of rock and roll.

I can't argue this.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited February 2009

aight yeah

here's a visual aid

then the rapture
    then the division

Also:

1) How does pre-mortal existence relate to the spirit world and the other shit? Like, do they interact?
    2) If someone doesn't live on Earth, do they go to the 'limbo'-esque spirit world or not?
    3) So on Terrestrial paradise you get to drink like 2 shots of vodka a second, while on Telestial you get 3? I guess what I'm saying is, how do you have multiple levels of paradise, because that sounds like multiplying infinity by 2 instead of 3, which is incomprehensible.
    4) Is the Outer Darkness just a total lack of sensation?
    Pretty much in the Pre-mortal existence, there were those who chose to follow Satan and those that chose to follow Jesus. The second group went to Earth and the first to Outer Darkness.

As far as the difference between the tiers, that is always something that has been pretty incomprehensible, I suppose. You know because everything God touches is like mind-blowing, man.
    I would say more than anything else it is a metaphorical thing. After all, they have to make this accessible for children. Like I said, it was something you get taught like every month in church.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
This discussion has been closed.