Options

Mormons are fucking prompt

• Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hey javen, how bad is it that when i first read this thread title i giggled because i had just finished playing the part in shining force where you're in the city named 'Prompt'

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Belruel wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »
    Phonehand wrote: »
    i saw some people were discussing baptisms for the dead in here earlier, i have done that when i was a young girl.

i thought it was weird then, and as i got older and found out what it was all really about and all, i thought it was absolutely awful to baptize someone without their sayso, even if it is only in name.

and i had classes on this, i know the mormon point of view to the letter. the whole 'they are stuck in limbo until baptized' thing, and how they see it as a great service. it's bullshit, how pissed would they be if someone of a different faith started baptizing their names

You clearly didn't pay attention in church.

I mean seriously they teach it once a month and you still got it wrong.

How is she wrong? She just simplified it so more people would understand. Not everybody knows Mormon jargon.

yeah, i have to try and keep myself from using mormon-speak when i talk about stuff like this, because you mention wards, and people want to know what that means, or you mention the priesthood and how most dudes in the church have it and they raise their eyebrows

or you even call it 'the church' like i just did without meaning to, because that is how we're raised to talk about it, and to anyone not raised mormon it is confusing as hell

My friends have all identified what I mean when I say "the church," after years of being around me. They politely refused to dig any further.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hey javen, how bad is it that when i first read this thread title i giggled because i had just finished playing the part in shining force where you're in the city named 'Prompt'

It is awesome

now I'm giggling at the mental picture.

Javen on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2009
    Bogey wrote: »
    I spend the entire day after I got back from staying on people's couches for three weeks in America masturbating like a monkey in prison. THREE WEEKS without any Special Gentlemen's Time! Three weeks! And I went to strip clubs in that time! My balls were bluer than a... fucking... really cold... Democrat.
    Hey now, you had your own room down here!

(I appreciate you not splatter-painting the walls though.)

It would have been impolite! The day after the strip club you were all "how did you sleep man" and I was all "on my fucking back with my hands weighed down under heavy books"

Tube on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    javen have you seen Happy Campers

Nope.

Javen on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I spend the entire day after I got back from staying on people's couches for three weeks in America masturbating like a monkey in prison. THREE WEEKS without any Special Gentlemen's Time! Three weeks! And I went to strip clubs in that time! My balls were bluer than a... fucking... really cold... Democrat.

Then that sounds like willful politeness
    Maybe too much politeness
    Like how Tycho Brahe died

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Javen wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    The worst was boyscout camp.

Six weeks straight, all dudes no chicks. By week five someone could have brought in a potato that looks like a vagina and there would have been a line around the block to have sex with it.

Six weeks? Were you a counselor?

Yeah.

I did that once but we had a few female counselors to oggle over and we drank and smoked a lot.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Six weeks straight, all dudes no chicks. By week five someone could have brought in a potato that looks like a vagina and there would have been a line around the block to have sex with it.

Yeah.

I did that once but we had a few female counselors to oggle over and we drank and smoked a lot.

None of those things releases semen

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Yeah.

Well it was a boy-scout camp so we didn't really have that luxury. Sometimes those of us with girlfriends would have them come up before the weekend but then you'd have to deal with half the camp (staff and campers) following you around because there is a female.

Javen on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    SRH: Sperm Retention Headache

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Yeah.

Well it was a boy-scout camp so we didn't really have that luxury. Sometimes those of us with girlfriends would have them come up before the weekend but then you'd have to deal with half the camp (staff and campers) following you around because there is a female.

Mine was a boy scout camp too. We still had a few female counselors and drank and smoked a lot.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I went to a Christian camp once.

We had to memorize prayers before we could go out and have fun.

Of course, I didn't get to have all that much fun, because I didn't know how to swim and all the fun to be had was in the water and they were all like noooooo.

So, while all the other kids went and had a good time, I just sat there.

No one to play with.

Not even any imaginary friends, even though I was in a place that strongly encouraged me to have one.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    t dubh- i remember after i made the conscious decision that i wasn't mormon anymore, (my family had already gone inactive at this point, but they were still very mormon) my dad is a very well read man, and he loves discussions. so i'd be talking with my dad about religion, and i'd get this weird self conscious feeling everytime i called it 'the church' because while it had never sounded strange to be before, now it did.

and it made me feel a bit guilty too, like i was lying to them by not telling them that i didn't consider myself a member anymore. it was such a relief when i talked to my dad a year or so ago and found out that he had been doing his own research and felt the same way i did now.

he is such a smartass, when he went up to utah with my mom for christmas to visit her family, he brought up the reed smoot hearings and they all got so mad at him.

my grandma honestly 100% believes that the prophet sits in the salt lake temple and talks face to face with jesus

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

Of course, I didn't get to have all that much fun, because I didn't know how to swim and all the fun to be had was in the water and they were all like noooooo.

No one to play with.

Not even any imaginary friends, even though I was in a place that strongly encouraged me to have one.
    I went on retreat with my Catholic school. Besides all the prayer and Catholic activities, I had an absolute blast. It was really just my friends and I, running amok for a whole week.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i saw some people were discussing baptisms for the dead in here earlier, i have done that when i was a young girl.

i thought it was weird then, and as i got older and found out what it was all really about and all, i thought it was absolutely awful to baptize someone without their sayso, even if it is only in name.

and i had classes on this, i know the mormon point of view to the letter. the whole 'they are stuck in limbo until baptized' thing, and how they see it as a great service. it's bullshit, how pissed would they be if someone of a different faith started baptizing their names

How is she wrong? She just simplified it so more people would understand. Not everybody knows Mormon jargon.

She is wrong because she is? I think it's funny that she claims to know the mormon point of view to the letter. Annnnnnd well then she makes a false statement about something they teach in church every month. To everyone.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

No one to play with.

oh man when i went to church camp they gave me a spirituality award... for being sarcastic.

some girls in my cabin were screaming because a moth had gotten in, and i had told them to calm down and get into their beds and just read the bible or something.

they thought i was being serious, saying that christ comforts all.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i still haven't told my family about my faltering christianity

with any of my friends i just fuck with them by telling them i am a firm supporter of pascal's wager

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Dublo7 wrote: »

No one to play with.

I went on retreat with my Catholic school. Besides all the prayer and Catholic activities, I had an absolute blast. It was really just my friends and I, running amok for a whole week.

WELL BULLY FOR YOU

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009

No one to play with.

oh man when i went to church camp they gave me a spirituality award... for being sarcastic.

some girls in my cabin were screaming because a moth had gotten in, and i had told them to calm down and get into their beds and just read the bible or something.

they thought i was being serious, saying that christ comforts all.

Magical

Me Too! on
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Back in highschool, one of my friends stayed in this one room of another friend's house for a few months for some unmentioned reason, and apparently the friend that owned the house came in there with a blacklight after the guy left and the walls were covered with dried semen, as well as a lot of the room.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, dude doesn't even bother to turn in a certain direction, :lol:

:winky:

D:

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    t dubh- i remember after i made the conscious decision that i wasn't mormon anymore, (my family had already gone inactive at this point, but they were still very mormon) my dad is a very well read man, and he loves discussions. so i'd be talking with my dad about religion, and i'd get this weird self conscious feeling everytime i called it 'the church' because while it had never sounded strange to be before, now it did.

and it made me feel a bit guilty too, like i was lying to them by not telling them that i didn't consider myself a member anymore. it was such a relief when i talked to my dad a year or so ago and found out that he had been doing his own research and felt the same way i did now.

he is such a smartass, when he went up to utah with my mom for christmas to visit her family, he brought up the reed smoot hearings and they all got so mad at him.

my grandma honestly 100% believes that the prophet sits in the salt lake temple and talks face to face with jesus

There's been arguments with my brother and mother about the church. My dad has always half-assed the church, and I suspect that he only joined it to my marry my mother. He drinks, doesn't go to church, and then goes and tells me that I should still be Mormon. I never really had anyone super close to support my leaving the church that truly understood it beyond "Oh, good, you left that crazy religion. I wonder why you believed in that silly stuff."

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lockout wrote: »
    i still haven't told my family about my faltering christianity

with any of my friends i just fuck with them by telling them i am a firm supporter of pascal's wager

Stop stealing my identity!

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

She is wrong because she is? I think it's funny that she claims to know the mormon point of view to the letter. Annnnnnd well then she makes a false statement about something they teach in church every month. To everyone.

Okay, explain. Don't just sit there and exclaim that she's wrong, twice, without providing a counter-example.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited February 2009

i grew up mormon, and that is the very simple gist of what was taught to us, every month as you say. it is very simplified yeah, but i doubt people here want to read an essay, or really even care to know all the details of the baptisms for the dead

from wikipedia
    The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
    In the practice of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a living person, acting as proxy, is baptized by immersion on behalf of a deceased person of the same gender. The baptism ritual is as follows: after calling the living proxy by name, the person performing the baptism says, "Having been commissioned of Jesus Christ, I baptize you for and in behalf of [full name of deceased person], who is dead, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen." The proxy is then immersed briefly in the water. This is almost identical to the way Baptism is performed for living individuals (with slight variation in the wording). Baptism for the dead is a distinctive ordinance of the church and is based on the belief that baptism is a required ordinance for entry into the Kingdom of God.

are you talking about how i referred to waiting to enter the kindgom of heaven as 'limbo'? i was just using a term everyone knows that means 'dead, but not in heaven and not in hell'

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Pope says there isn't any limbo anymore.

You Mormons should keep up.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dublo7 wrote: »

No one to play with.

WELL BULLY FOR YOU

YEAH, CHILLY FOR ME

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    "They are stuck in limbo until baptized" is a completely false characterization of the Mormon belief

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Pope says there isn't any limbo anymore.

You Mormons should keep up.

Man, the Catholic Church is like the Abercrombie and Finch of the Christian world. So hip, so fresh.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited February 2009
    "They are stuck in limbo until baptized" is a completely false characterization of the Mormon belief

I thought this was explained.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So did anyone figure out why Mormons are so prompt yet?

Because I think the answer is pretty simple.

They don't have anything to do other than go around converting people.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

oh good grief you are arguing over semantics. if anyone wished to know more they could go look it up, i was just being general and you're just being silly

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So did anyone figure out why Mormons are so prompt yet?

Because I think the answer is pretty simple.

They don't have anything to do other than go around converting people.

well the missionaries get a whole lot of doors slammed in their faces, so getting a call that there is a willing ear in their area makes them really happy so they rush on over

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

oh good grief you are arguing over semantics. if anyone wished to know more they could go look it up, i was just being general and you're just being silly

It's not semantics. It is actually just wrong.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Okay. Tell us why, already. This will be the second time I asked you.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited February 2009

ah yes, and me saying 'the souls waiting to enter into the kingdom of heaven' is so much clearer to a non-mormon than just using a term they already know that means 'not in a good or bad place while dead yet'

why does this bother you so much?

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

ah yes, and me saying 'the souls waiting to enter into the kingdom of heaven' is so much clearer to a non-mormon than just using a term they already know that means 'not in a good or bad place while dead yet'

Because it's silly. Not the idea of limbo, but the idea that you can't leave until you are baptized. The Mormon belief is that if you live on Earth you are essentially saved and you will go to Heaven. The 'limbo' you speak of is where everyone goes when they die until the rapture.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Because it's silly. Not the idea of limbo, but the idea that you can't leave until you are baptized. The Mormon belief is that if you live on Earth you are essentially saved and you will go to Heaven. The 'limbo' you speak of is where everyone goes when they die until the rapture.

Yup, semantics. I think people got what Bel meant.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited February 2009

Yup, semantics. I think people got what Bel meant.
    Oh she was perfectly clear. She was just wrong.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009

Then what's the point of being baptized in soeone else's name

I thought that was something to do with getting them into heaven without waiting for the rapture

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Do you think they have board games in Limbo?

ChicoBlue on
This discussion has been closed.