As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game

• Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ALLOW ME TO RUB YOUR FRAIL HU-MAN NECK, NOTHING CAN GO WRONG.

Valkun on
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Can I get in on the next PBP game?

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I LOVE POLYTHEISM. MONOTHEISM TRIGGERS MY ANGER CIRCUITS.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tentatively, that puts us to:

manaleak34
    Nosaji
    Plutonium
    cj iwakura
    Maximus

and one more spot, I think I misplaced an interest PM so I need to locate that.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'll totally take it if it's not spoken for. I doubt Blarney's game will last that long...

Oooo....I could try and throw Plutonium in the brig! That'd be great fun.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    KethasKethas Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sign me up. A quick scan revealed only two players that posted in cyan and didn't later retract their signup. I think Hylian started saying something negative but fingers in ears I can't hear you nanananana.

On a more serious note, I'd encourage anyone that's interested to show up/be around, and if we get enough for a second game, I'd volunteer to make it happen.

Kethas on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, Valkun's game finished up, so Hylianbunny'll be running game 06. My game is coming to a close as well, so if someone else wants to run once it's over, there'll be a slot open. Can't remember if anyone volunteered yet or not.
    Valkun wrote: »
    Edit: I may just go with a forum post that I (or a player) edit(s) every turn. Updating a graphic board would probably take longer to do.

For a live-like game, it'd probably be quicker to just update a post, yeah. Graphics can take a while, depending on how you do it.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Map Tools could easily handle a board and pieces and such. Though without Deck Tool being ready it's kinda overkill.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    manaleak34
    Nosaji
    Plutonium
    cj iwakura
    Maximus
    Kethas

just 'cause you've already been in a game or two, DevAp. (I think. I'm a little ill right now and not thinking clearly. :P)

I might need someone in reserve though, since one of the players is still a bit iffy about if they're joining.

We won't be going until Tuesday or Wednesday anyway, for a bit of breathing room.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    manaleak34
    Nosaji
    Plutonium
    cj iwakura
    Maximus
    Kethas

just 'cause you've already been in a game or two, DevAp. (I think. I'm a little ill right now and not thinking clearly. :P)

I might need someone in reserve though, since one of the players is still a bit iffy about if they're joining.

We won't be going until Tuesday or Wednesday anyway, for a bit of breathing room.

Been in less than you...:P

Though I thought Kethas was signing up for Valkun's game from context.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    manaleak34
    Nosaji
    Plutonium
    cj iwakura
    Maximus
    Kethas

Yes, yes, I'm a hypocrite. :lol:

I'll flip a coin or throw some darts at a board or something, dunno. Still tentative, since there are only a few spots I promised. :P

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    manaleak34
    Nosaji
    Plutonium
    cj iwakura
    Maximus
    Kethas

Yes, yes, I'm a hypocrite. :lol:

I'll flip a coin or throw some darts at a board or something, dunno. Still tentative, since there are only a few spots I promised. :P

Uh, if Kethas was signing up for your game I'm fine with it. I was just saying from what he said I really thought he was going for the real time game.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You know what? Watching you and Plut go at it will be hilarious.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'd be happy with either. My biggest concern was the apparent difficulty for a newcomer to get into any game. If I end up joining Valkun's and then am not in some longer PbP game I'll run my own, as we don't seem to be short on interest.

I just don't want to both a) not be playing/leading a game, and b) not getting experience how to lead a game.

Kethas on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I SAW DA USING PAPER WITH SQUARE EDGES. THANK THE ONE TRUE METALLIC GOD WE IDENTIFIED HIM AS A CYLON IN TIME... *whirr* I MEAN THANK OUR MULTIPLE, FLESHY DEITIES. WHAT DID I SAY?

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Dude, I'm just a normal guy, Guy Normal in fact....

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The "Guy Normal" card tempts me to work up a complete set of April Fools' style cards to play this game with -- stupid crisis cards, random side characters to play with, etc.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    MaximusMaximus Engineer of the Harbinger Engine RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Gleeeee! I'm finally in one!!

Maximus on
  • Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Furthermore, she's holding on to her once-per-game ability, where she could auto-fail a crisis for us.

Most of the once-per-game abilities seem much more favorable for the Cylons than for the humans. Take Tyrol's ability for example. As a human, he can make it slightly more difficult for the Cylons to disrupt one skill check. As a Cylon, he can probably essentially autofail any one check.

Also, I disagree with any change preventing the FTL location from being used for the final jump. In my opinion, having the final jump depending on a coin flip is no worse than a coin flip for any other jump, except in appearances.

Papillon on
  • Options
    NosajiNosaji Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It just occurred to me that there are two different games going on (Valkun's and Hylian's) and I've signed up for both. I really want in on the pbp (Hylian's) so give me last priority on tomorrow's game.

EDIT2: I just turned down dinner plans, so I'm a lock now! I even got my mic working if we use Vent!

Nosaji on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Nosaji wrote: »
    It just occurred to me that there are two different games going on (Valkun's and Hylian's) and I've signed up for both. I really want in on the pbp (Hylian's) so give me last priority on tomorrow's game.

Today's game?

Valkun, if you need another tonight you can count me in.

The no sympathizer variant we're running in my currently hosted game is the official variant from FFG, vetted by the game designer, so it should hopefully work well. To further compensate the cylons for the lost (potential) actions, the starting resources are lowered to 8 fuel, 7 Food, 9 morale, 10 population. This effectively gives the Cylons a jump start of four points of damage to the fleet. The last "You are Not a Cylon" card is put into the deck after the initial deal, to help increase the chance of a Cylon in the game at game start.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Here's the tentative list of players for tonight:

Gandalf_the_Crazed ?
    Scrivenerjones
    Nosaji
    Kethas
    Darian

Let's go ahead with AIM unless that presents a problem for anyone.

Valkun on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I retracted. Sorry.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'll take his place if nobody else wants in and we need another player. Are we using vent in conjunction with AIM?

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Anything we need to do for tonight, other than make sure AIM's working? Practice our Dabbleboard skills? Distribute a Ventrilo IP/pass?

Edit: Also, just five folks? I'm sure that's plenty for a good game but I was under the impression there was more interest.

Kethas on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was interested until I found out it was starting at 9pm for me. If it'd been earlier, I'd have been all over it. :(

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Interestingly, Dabbleboard apparently has integrated voice (+video). For all those times your business meeting on Dabbleboard needed more facetime.

Kethas on
  • Options
    SpectralSporkSpectralSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Still an open slot? If so consider me in, and for the sake of being certain that's 9pm EST, right?

SpectralSpork on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    We probably won't be using any online whiteboards. There are 5 plus spectators, but five is a good number regardless.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    We're setting up at irc.slashnet.org #BSG if you want to play or spectate.

Looks like the group has decided against using Ventrillo.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Edit: Nevermind, all players have showed up!

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So yeah the three-cylon rule in a six-player game doesn't work very well.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    NosajiNosaji Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    No. No it doesn't. I think we should use the "official" no sympathizer next time.

Nosaji on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    For those who weren't around, God-Emperor Tigh was turned into a sleeper agent, but I didn't believe Chief when he told me that. Thus, he was able to set us up for sudden disaster and death by Centurion even though all our resources were still well in the green.

GG all, I had a blast (losing).

Darian on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    We ("we" being the cylons) got kind of lucky in that we were together in the turn order (10% chance). I was really surprised when the Centurion landing got so little attention; I assume Tigh's reveal was part of the distraction there.

For what it's worth, the first half of the game was really, really depressing for me. Not much I can do other than watch you guys pass skill checks and coddle my super crisis card affectionately. I probably should have redrawn my super crisis just to make the loyalty card pass to Tigh more confusing, but I really, really didn't want to give up Massive Assault.

Kethas on
  • Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It seems the Cylons win a lot more than the humans. Is the game unbalanced, or do the humans just make a lot of mistakes in the games here?

Papillon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If you'd be interested in playing a play-by-post game, please whisper me or post here. If there's enough interest we'll form a game; if there isn't we'll wait until there is.

Kethas on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    To Kethas-
    Strategy-wise:
    1. You revealed too early; you had put yourself in position to just get shot down by the raiders and go to sick bay. You should have stayed human and looked for an opportunity to take away an easy crisis then dump your hand to make us fail the new one we drew. This would also have helped keep uncertainty about the Cylons going for longer, and probably allowed Baltar to do more damage before becoming outed.
    2. Tactics, leadership, and politics are most often positive for checks. Thus, drawing engineering and piloting are your best bets once you are a cylon.

Re: Papillon
    That game was probably unbalanced. We were trying a variant to avoid the sympathizer, so we gave the humans one bonus resource to start (president's choice), then in sleeper phase added an extra cylon and not a cylon to the deck. We got as unlucky as possible, with two cylons from the start and the third dealt out (to a revealed cylon) in the sleeper phase.
    We don't have enough data either way as far as game balance goes; I think it is balanced, overall. Still, 3 and 4 player games may favor the humans more, with 5 and 6 player games tending to favor the Cylons. There's a lot of luck that goes into it, though, and humans tend to badly hurt themselves by under-utilizing Investigative Committees and overshooting important checks..

Darian on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The game went from overwhelmingly in favor of the humans to an instant victory for the Cylons. Every resource well into the green at 7 distance? It couldn't be more one sided.

Here's how it all went wrong:

Both cylon cards were distributed at the start, one to Starbuck and one to Baltar.

Tigh had managed to get both the Presidency and Admiralty through Forced Resignation. At the time, he was completely human.

The extra cylon card was added instead of the You Are Not a Cylon card (50% chance), and it happened to be given to Starbuck, a revealed Cylon. Starbuck, Baltar, and Tigh formed a straight 3 player block.

A centurion happened to board due to Cylon Virus and was advanced one step by a crisis. On one of the many repeated executive orders on Tigh, he finally revealed with Damage Galactica and hit the Armory. The humans had one turn but Tyrol had no hand and started his turn in Sickbay. He tried for an Executive Order and got Declare Emergency instead.

Three straight Heavy Raider activations later and the Cylons won out of nowhere.

Valkun on
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    so, so gross

nice work guys, but any time someone gets a loyalty card from the resurrection ship they go off to the brig IMO

scrivenerjones on