Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[D&D 4E] King of the Trollhaunt Warrens - Game Thread

1235710

Posts

  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You receive 660 xp each

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You find the following on the body of the Oni Mage:

    Message.png

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Edgil will spend two healing surges, then do a little arcana/perception detection.

    Arcana check to detect magic. (1d20+18=29)
    Perception check to detect other stuff. (1d20+10=18)

    Denada on
  • psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "Well," Siali says to the mage's corpse, "selfish little mage, arent you?" She walks over to the treeline, frustrated with her performance during this fight. Next time, you wont survive if you rush in like that. She begins some basic training with her dagger - she will not miss her target again.
    do we also get an action point (being that this is the 2nd straight fight with no extended rest?)?

    psolms on
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yup, that's a milestone, kids. That means you get another action point, and also another chance to expend daily magic item powers.

    If you aren't familiar with the rules, if you have multiple magic items with daily powers, you get one Daily Magic Item Power use per tier (2, since we're in paragon tier), plus one for each milestone you reach in a day. You can still only use each individual power once a day, but if you have more than two magic items with daily powers, you can now consider using them.

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "So this Troll King is the problem. A leader of these unnatural abominations... he must be stopped." Jack pauses, obviously quite flustered. "Where is the Trollhaunt!?"
    So Jack will spend 3 healing surges, bringing him to full health.

    Foolish Chaos on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "One thing at a time, if you please," said Aziz, plucking the message from Jack's hand. He read it aloud so that the others could hear him clearly. He paused for a moment. Siali cringed a bit inwardly, sensing one of Aziz' "motivational speeches" on the horizon.

    "The acts of these Trolls will not inherit, nor be tolerated by civilized folks, nor go unpunished. Such is the vow of the Knights of the Blazing Sun as stated in the Charter we have all signed, and though of course I need remind none of you it bears repeating. However... we have another responsibility to Moonstair, and shall finish our business there first. If it still stands of course. If it does not, our retribution will be swift. If we find it intact, I shall ask us all to remember a saying from the land of my fathers: It is best to be paid for that which you were going to do anyway."

    Aziz' lip curled, showing a few fangs in a Dragonborn's imitation of a smile. It never quite looked right.

    "But first: I'm hungry. We shall take a moment before going to Moonstair."
    Aziz has apparently inspired himself. In addition to his robust healing surge of 21, he inspires (2d6+4=9) more hit points for a total of 30, bringing him to 74/76 hp

    Then: A Short Rest in order for all to get their Milestone and Action Point.

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dardek was busy piling the corpses of their fallen enemies. He prayed over the remains, and then spat on them and returned to his group, embittered and angry.

    "It is good that Pelor brought us here. This land needs our help, if such beasts are running about with no one to kill them."

    Dardek sat and prayed.
    Dardek spends a healing surge, bringing him up to 85 HP.

    Inx on
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You don't find anything else valuable or magical on the Oni Mage or the Hags.

    You are, however, pretty far out of your way now. I'll need someone to make a Perception check to try and get you back to the Trade Road.

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jack searches around, trying to find the road to Moonstair.
    Perception Check: 1d20+9 = 22

    Ok, going to my irl game for a few hours.

    edit: or not... canceled =/

    Foolish Chaos on
  • psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Perception (1d20+5=20) - im amazed that i rolled that high, yet it is still worse than jacks

    psolms on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Perception. (1d20+10=22)

    Not too shabby.

    Denada on
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It takes approximately two hours, but you find your way back to the Trade Road and make your way to Moonstair without any more problems.

    Once there, you quickly find yourself in the Cloudwatch Inn, the most luxurious Inn in town, run by a halfling named Cham. The clientele is mostly travelers and traders, but it's as good a place as any to discuss your next move.

    You can of course do any shopping you feel necessary while here, and you have your original mission of delivering a package to the mayor to complete.

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sorry about the slow updates this week, it's been crazy at work

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    no worries.. i thought you were waiting for us to do something :P
    also, siali has her side mission of meeting the contact... though we can just assume it goes fine if you dont want to weave it in at this time

    edit: i dont need to buy anything (unless we got some more gold?) but, i would really love to retrain distant advantage.. since i have yet to use/need it... let me know if that is still in effect.

    psolms on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "Does anyone need to spend some time in town before we finish the job? I'd prefer not to delay, and get our business settled first... and I think the mayor would prefer to hear about current events sooner than later. The client appreciates it when you make them your first order of business."

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "I think we should handle the business we were sent here for, then go our seperate ways and take the night off in the town."

    psolms on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "An excellent idea, Siali. I'm sure we all can agree this is the best course of action?"

    Aziz waited about a half-beat, not really enough time for dissention.

    "Right, then. Let's be off."

    The dragonborn strode out of the Cloudwatch Inn and toward the Mayor's offices, side-by-side with his compatriots.

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Shoe, you make me giggle.

    Moonstair.png

    You arrive at Moonstair Keep, a small keep built upon the Vardari ruins. Great Slabs of stone make up its foundation, with walls of stone and mortar above. The mayor lives and works here, you are told, and the barracks for the town watch is located within.

    A tall female half-elf with gray-streaked hair waits in the main hall of the keep. She wears a plainly embroidered blue dress and a silver chain of office. “Welcome, travelers,” she says. “I am Kelana Dhoram, mayor of Moonstair.”

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    2 things, 1: shoe, ill let you do the talky talky, unless it comes time to intimidate more money out of her or bluff about something..
    2: i assume short rests to be had by all?
    3: im retraining Distant Advantage for Versatile Master to make my twin strike an At Will! (play zelda 'aquire item' music)

    psolms on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "Mayor Dhoram," said Aziz, with a bow of his head, "We were instructed to deliver this parcel to you."

    He produced the package from his rucksack and held it out with both hands, and the Mayor accepted it graciously.

    "Normally, I would take more time with the pleasantries, my Lady. But we are aware of a matter that you might consider to be urgent. You see, on our way here we encountered a number of Trolls and Hags that were both hostile and persistent. In fact, we had to slay them all just to continue on our way here, to Moonstair. We know of your troubles of late, and offer our condolences. We recovered this message from one of the Trolls... I'm sorry to say that you will recognize it. The messenger was slain by those beasts."

    He extended the letter to Kelana.

    "We are of course, aware that is a sensitive matter. And are willing to extend you our services."

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You hear Kelana uttter "Damn." under her breath upon realizing her only hope for military aid was killed en route.

    She eyes the party with a slight look of desperate hope in her eyes. Could these adventurers possibly do what no one else could?

    "Who are you to be offering such help?"

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Siali stiffles a short laugh. Here comes another long winded introduction from Aziz or Dardek... probably both... she thinks to herself.

    psolms on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Siali's suspicions were of course correct. She saw it coming as soon as Aziz cleared his throat, his deep voice ringing like bronze in the practiced tone with which he spoke to figures of authority.

    "We are the Knights of the Blazing Sun. Our reputation is is one of renown through the lights of civilization along the Trade Roads... and is one that is cursed in the darkness by the black villains who have sought to extinguish them. All of us are known by many names.

    "As for myself, among my people I am known as Abu-Hadz Aziz Al-Murzim ibn Hakim Aqrab Al-Jabbar ibn Yusuf Al-Rahim ash-Zahara, last of the Mujahid of the Northern Claw Desert, The Bloodied Shield, Pillar of the Faith of Io.

    "This is Dardek Ironforge, Chosen of Pelor and Moradin, Prince of the Mountain Halls, destroyer of Orcus' plagues and plots. Righteous in Faith, Hammer of Justice, Protector of Innocents.

    "This is Jack. He is of a people born for battle and struggle, fearless in the face of the mightiest foes. Freed from the earth and stone by the Gods for a destiny of heroism. Steel Skin, Sword-Born, Fury's Avalanche.

    "This is Edgil, learned scholar, accomplished alchemist, knower of secrets in heaven and earth, seer and maker of visions. Blood of Flames, The Deep Speaker, Master of Magic.

    "And this is Siali. I've heard more monkiers for her than any of us, mostly among Men and Elves as well as her own people. Fortune's Favor, Dagger-Hand, Death's Shadow, Silent Justice, Branch-Walker... I'm sure I've forgotten a few..."

    Aziz looked back at Siali, who shrugged casually.

    "...but at any rate, if we are not known in these lands by reputation, we will gladly prove our merit to you in deed. And we would not have been trusted with this delivery -- nor recovered your message -- were we not possessed of such ability."
    Diplomacy (1d20 14=16)

    ah crap. well, at least Aziz' modifier is high enough not to make a complete ass of himself when he rolls a two.

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Siali took a moment of introspection. Silent Justice... wasn't that one of my names with the Red Hand? It was getting hard to track who should have heard what name. If that is the case, when did Aziz hear it? In her mind, she imagined her web of lies unravelling. The thought made her nervous. She tried to regain composure quickly, before anyone noticed her breif lapse into fear.
    just some sweet character development... plus, a bluff check. if your passive perception beats it, you'll notice that i was visibly nervous for a short moment, and now i am covering it up. Fun with interpersonal relationships! (aka bluff check) (1d20+14=25)

    psolms on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    A long line of a low static-y noise seeps from Jacks mouth following Aziz speech, as if the warforged was repressing something. This lasts for several seconds, until Jack can no longer hold it in, and a bit of a chuckle is let out, the warforged clasping his hand over his mouth and shaking his head as he regains composure.

    He always found the dragonborn's party introductions to be quite exciting, inspiring, and even a little heartwarming. Even if others don't think so. This is his family after all.

    But he has come to learn that reacting as he might wish (with loud laughter, clapping, and hi fives all around) can be a bit strange for those they are being introduced to.

    Foolish Chaos on
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "Knights of the... how fortuitous!"

    "Moonstair will gladly accept your aid. I fear we cannot count on any military support, but Bards have carried tales of your endeavors to our ears. I should be glad to believe half of them."
    We are in paragon tier, you are presumably fairly famous at this point.

    A troll named Skalmad has gathered the forces in the Trollhaunt and is preparing for war. Rumors have reached us that he found an ancient Relic of the original Troll King called Moran's Eye, which he has replaced his own eye with. He used this relics evil magics to gather his army. Under Skalmad's leadership, the Trolls have begun terrorizing neighboring lands.

    However, hope arrived in the form of Etheran of Therund. With a band of heroic companions, Etherian was returning home after defeating the operatives of a deadly cult in a far-off land.

    With the troll warbands on the move, Etheran delayed his return home and established a base here in Moonstair, since we are positioned so close to the Trollhaunt. He and his companions made three raids on the swamps, routing Skalmad's forces before setting out on a fourth sortie to face the troll kin.

    Three days later, a band of troll warriors appeared at the town gates, their leader issuing a challenge as he tossed Etheran’s head over the wall. “Your hero is dead, puny humans! Skalmad the Great killed him. Soon Skalmad, King of Vardar, will claim Moonstair and lands
    beyond, and all humans will die!”

    As the son of the baron of Therund, Etheran carried the heirloom sword of the barony, a magic blade known as Sunwrath. The sword is now rumored to be a trophy of the troll king Skalmad.

    I would now implore you to continue where Etheran and his companions left off. If Skalmad is not stopped now, Moonstair will surely fall, and the neighboring lands with it.

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dardek gritted his teeth. This had all the makings of a Pelor-sent quest.

    "Sunwrath, you say? Surely that is a sign that we, the Knights of the Blazing Sun itself, were sent here to liberate Moonstair and rid the world of this beast Skalmad."

    Dardek gave his hammer a flourish, and then pounded it against the ground, bright sparks showering the area as he genuflected.

    "What can you tell us about Moran's Eye, and this blade Sunwrath? The last thing any of us want is to go into battle unprepared against an enemy whose very glance may kill us."

    Inx on
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "The Nature of the Eye eludes us. Some say it has made Skalmad invincible... unkillable. But these are likely just rumors. I mean, how could it be?

    Sunwrath, it is said, burns with the power of the stars themselves, and it's wielder always knows the way home. It's the ancestral weapon of the barony of Therund. I know they would likely pay a very reasonable price to he who returns the weapon to them.

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "We should be going then. This Troll seems powerful enough as is with 2 ancient relics already, let us not give him the time to acquire more."

    Foolish Chaos on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "Thank you for this information, Milady. Though it may be distasteful to bring this up in a time of grief, it is necessary for me to point out that we are adventurers by profession, and that I must ask some compensation for our services. Baron Therund shall compensate me for the recovery of the sword, but the protection of Moonstair from this threat will require an additional fee.

    "Additionally, what proof of our success would you request we bring you upon our return?"

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dardek did not hide his displeasure in Aziz talking prices. He never did like having to charge people for doing Pelor's work, but few adventurers shared his ascetic nature.

    "Surely the Troll's foul head will suffice. If not the head, then the cursed eye."

    Inx on
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Kalena seems to recall something at your mention of payment, and hands over a pouch containing 500gp for delivering her parcel.

    "I can offer you a reward of 2,500 gp for defeating the Troll King, though this is a heavy burden for the people of Moonstair to bear. As to proof, Sunwrath and Moran's Eye should be acceeptable proof of his defeat. It is our belief that Skalmad's defeat will fracture the troll forces, and without his mystical power the trolls will no longer pose a signifigant threat."

    "I welcome you to make base within Moonstair Keep and take advantage of our barraks as you prepare for your journey into the Trollhaunt."
    Note, this means very little from an in-game advantage perspective. Military might is not Kalena's strong suit. You have access to whatever mundane equipment and weapons you might desire, but she cannot outfit you with anything magical. There are traders in town who may be able to help you.

    Siali, you are planning on meeting your contact at the Inn you were at previously, so that may play into your decision on where to stay for the night

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "Excellent. We shall leave as soon as we are able, and shall return with the Eye and the Sword as you have requested. The Knights of the Blazing Sun thank you for your generosity and hospitality."

    Aziz bowed to the Mayor, nodded to the rest of the group, and made his way to the door.

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So now is a good time to go shopping if you have any coin left to you. I believe some of you made mention of a desire to purchase some +1 Flaming Weapons.

    If you don't have any further questions for the mayor, and no desire to do anythig else: give me a !ready to sleep for the night.

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    !ready

    Denada on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    !ready

    Jack is ready for some more troll slaying. :D

    Foolish Chaos on
  • psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    As the group was standing outside, Siali pulled a cloak from her backpack and put it on. Lifting the hood, she said to the group "I have some business I must attend to. I shall see you all in the morning" and walked away. I hope my contact is still here, she thought, with a sigh, that damned mage made us late for our arrival.

    She walked through the night, taking in the town. She doubled and tripled back, making sure that she was not followed, all the while, staying in shadows as much as possible, and blending in with crowds where there were crowds to blend in to.

    As she entered the inn, her eyes swept around the room. She was searching for the mark - the red mark her contact would be using to identify himself. After several seconds at the front door, she removed her hood and went up to the bartender with a smile. Gotta stay non-chalant. "Glass of red wine, please?" she asked, puting a couple of gold peices on the bar. Taking the wine to a table in the corner, she sits down and begins slowly drinking, waiting for her contact.

    psolms on
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Waiting until Dardek declares what he's doing before proceeding with Siali's private event. In case he decides to follow you or something.

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Half an hour passes. No contact. Suddenly, a small dart lands in the wooden wall with a thunk. On the dart, the word "Cellar" is written in red ink. Looking around the room for a sign and seeing none, Siali knew who was responsible for this dart - and who was requesting her at the cellar - The Red Hand.

    Waiting a few moments to seem nonchalant, Saili leaves her table and slowly makes her way to the cellar door. When she's sure the coast is clear, she quickly opens the door and disappears down into the cellar.

    "About time" says a male voice from the darkness.

    "You know me," said Siali, "always cautious." I can't believe they sent him she thought.

    The man lights a small torch. The "man" is revealed to be a large half-orc wearing dark, loose clothing. On his right hand, he wears a dark red leather glove.

    "Dorn." Siali said with a hint of a scowl.

    Dorn was a fairly high ranked member of The Red Hand. He was Siali's mission handler on occasion. She had heard rumors that he had suspected Siali of something. What, she was not sure, but his distrust in her was clear.

    "Siali." replied Dorn, with obvious indignation.

    "What is it?" Siali asked, "Why are you bothering me while I'm trying to enjoy a well deserved night off?"

    "No rest for the wicked. We have a job for you. One of our agents saw you meeting with Mayor Dhoram. If you can get that close to her once, you can do it again. We want her killed."

    Siali looked to the floor and sighed. This should get interesting. "I can't kill her. She is the contact for The Knights. My infiltration of The Knights of the Blazing Sun is my top mission priority. If she dies, it will comprimise that mission."

    Siali hoped it would be enough to convince Dorn, but in her mind, she knew it wouldnt work.

    "Then make sure you are not implicated at all." said Dorn, with finality.

    Siali sighed again and began thinking about how to enter the building, if she saw any balconies. No, you can go to the knights! Your friends can help you!

    "When?" she asked.

    "Tonight."

    Siali paused for a moment before proceeding. "I know of a way to make sure I am not implicated, but I'll need some low ranking members."

    Dorn looked at Siali suspiciously but allowed her to continue.

    "Send them in my place. I know they are not good enough to get in undetected, but that is the point. I will return to the Knights with news of a rumored attempt on the mayor's life. They will not hesitate to rush head first into battle. During the commotion of the fight, I will kill her, without anyone noticing. Just make sure at least one of them is using these kinds of dagger" she says, pulling out a regular dagger from her belt.

    Dorn thought about the plan for a moment. Then he began laughing. A deep hearty half-orc laugh. "You will go far in this organization with ideas like that." he said. "You will have your distraction. Take this," he said, tossing her a vial filled with a black ooze, "this poison will assure she does not get back up. Oh, and by the way," he said, pulling a severed hand from a bag somewhere, "you were being followed. Be more careful in the future."

    He tossed her the hand. It was a human's left hand with a small red dot on it. Thomas she thought. As Dorn walked past her, she felt a burning rage. I will kill you, Dorn. Make no mistake.

    "The uh.. 'assassins' will be in the mayor's home in 2 hours time. I suggest you hurry."

    With that, Dorn was gone, and Siali was left alone in the cellar.

    Climbing out of the small window, she quickly makes her way back to the inn where the Knights were staying for the night.
    i figured i'd make it a team thing, this way its more interesting for everyone, and its keeping with her character. whether she kills the mayor or not, remains to be seen

    psolms on
Sign In or Register to comment.