Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[D&D 4E] King of the Trollhaunt Warrens - Game Thread

1456810

Posts

  • psolmspsolms regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Siali calls out to Aziz. "I'm fine back here. Take care of those skeletons. I'll tend to the mayor."

    psolms on
  • DVGDVG regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Skull Lord uses Skull of Withering Flame!
    1d20+15 vs. Dardek Fortitude = 21
    2d6+3 Fire/Necrotic Damage = 12 Damage

    Skull Lord uses Skull of Bonechilling Fear!
    1d20+15 vs. Dardek Will = 34 (Dardek, your will defense isn't in the block I'm assuming a 34 is a hit, but do me a solid and put it in on your next turn.)
    1d6+3 Cold Damage = 6 Damage
    Dardek is pushed 5 squares


    Map!
    Encounter-4-Map-Round-2b.png

    Ecounter Information
    Siali - Status: None - HP 69/75 - AC 23; F 18, R 22, W 20, PP 15 +4 AC untill the beginning of her next turn.
    Dardek - Status: None - HP 46/86 AC 29 F 19 R 19
    Edgil - Status: +4 AC until end of Dardek's turn - HP 63/64 AC 23; F 20, R 24, W 21, W 20
    Aziz - Status: None HP 76/76, AC 29; F 24, R 23, W 22
    Skull Lord Bloodied - HP 40/40 - AC 24; F 21, R 22, W 23, PP 17; Immune Disease Poison, Resist 10 Necrotic, Vunerable 5 Radiant
    :arrow: Jack - Status: None - HP: Current HP-93/93 - AC 25; F 25; R 19; W 19
    Skeletal Tomb Guardian B Status: Can be treated as an ally for flanking (end of Edgil's next turn) - HP 104/126 - AC 17; F 16 R 16, W 15, PP 22; Immune Disease Poison, Resist 10 Necrotic, Vunerable 5 Radiant
    Skeletal Tomb Guardian C Status: None - HP 109/126 - AC 17; F 16 R 16, W 15, PP 22; Immune Disease Poison, Resist 10 Necrotic, Vunerable 5 Radiant
    Red Hand Brigand Status: None - HP 1/1 - AC 19; F 19 R 19, W 19, PP 10;

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • InxInx regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh god, I pissed it off...

    Inx on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jack has confidence in Siali to protect the mayor, but moves towards her anyway, determined to kill the skeletal mage before he does something tricky.

    He runs around the combatants, taking any opportunistic strikes that may come his way, before sliding in front of the skull lord and bringing his sword in full circle. The wild blade ripped the theif in half and struck a blow both against Jack's intended target as well as the poor skeleton who happened to be behind him. Jack, letting the momentum carry him, let his blade travel again, this time the mage dodging the blow before Jacks blade surged forward, shattering one of his two skulls.

    Not yet satisfied, the warforged turned around, chopping the skeleton behind him clearly in half, and leaped at another, striking a clean blow.
    Move to E-5, taking an opportnity attack from Skeleton C and B, as well as from the red hand guy.
    Standard: Persistant Frenzy

    Encounter ✦ Primal, Weapon
    Standard Action Close burst 1
    Target: Each creature in burst you can see
    Attack: Strength vs. AC
    Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage.
    Special: If you use this power while raging, roll a d20. On a 10 or higher, you retain the use of this power.

    All power attacks
    VS Skeleton B: 1d20+16= 26 Hit!
    VS Skull Lord: 1d20+16 = 28 Hit!
    VS Red Hand Minion: 1d20+16=28 Hit!

    Damage for all: 1d12+19=21 The man is dead
    Keep the power? Yes

    Action Point using Bravura Presence!
    Persistent Frenzy again!

    Skeleton B; Skull Lord - 20;20 - Hit! ; Miss!
    Skelton B takes: 30 damage


    Bravura Presence basic attack vs the Skull Lord (not a power attack): 1d20+19 = 39 CRIT! Damage: 31 + 3d6 crit damage: 9

    All enemies gain combat advantage against Jack until the end of Jacks next turn.

    When critting, Barbarians get a free basic attack, and when they drop an enemy to 0, they get a free charge, so here goes:

    Basic attack vs Skeleton B (power attack, enemy is bloodied, Jack is Blood Raging): 1d20+17 = 37 WTF CRIT!; Damage: 40 + 3d6 = 56 Skeleton B is DEAD

    The charge (howling strike) for dropping Skeleton B to 0, targeting Skeleton C (power attack): 1d20+17 = 31 Hit!; Damage: 1d12+19;3d6 = 39

    Hot damn.

    Ecounter Information
    Siali - Status: None - HP 69/75 - AC 23; F 18, R 22, W 20, PP 15 +4 AC untill the beginning of her next turn.
    Dardek - Status: None - HP 46/86 AC 29 F 19 R 19
    Edgil - Status: +4 AC until end of Dardek's turn - HP 63/64 AC 23; F 20, R 24, W 21, W 20
    Aziz - Status: None HP 76/76, AC 29; F 24, R 23, W 22
    Skull Lord Bloodied - HP -21/40 - AC 24; F 21, R 22, W 23, PP 17; Immune Disease Poison, Resist 10 Necrotic, Vunerable 5 Radiant
    Jack - Status: Enemies get combat advantage until the end of Jacks turn - HP: Current HP-93/93 - AC 25; F 25; R 19; W 19
    :arrow:Skeletal Tomb Guardian B Status: Can be treated as an ally for flanking (end of Edgil's next turn), DEAD- HP -3/126 - AC 17; F 16 R 16, W 15, PP 22; Immune Disease Poison, Resist 10 Necrotic, Vunerable 5 Radiant
    Skeletal Tomb Guardian C Status: None - HP 70/126 - AC 17; F 16 R 16, W 15, PP 22; Immune Disease Poison, Resist 10 Necrotic, Vunerable 5 Radiant
    Red Hand Brigand Status: DEAD - HP -20/1 - AC 19; F 19 R 19, W 19, PP 10;

    Foolish Chaos on
  • psolmspsolms regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    O_O
    that sir, is one impressive round.

    psolms on
  • InxInx regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DAMN, good form!

    Inx on
  • DVGDVG regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Skull Lord loses another of his two skulls, which bursts in a small necrotic explosion, leaving him with only one head, like the most of men.

    The remaining skeletal tomb lord targets Jack, deciding to stick with it's charge rather than run away, bones clattering, despite the fact that jack just flew around the room like some kind of goddamn wire fighting Iron Giant. The Tomb Guardian launches four scimitars at Jack.
    1d20+13;1d8+4 → [3,13] = (16)
    1d20+13;1d8+4 → [2,4] = (6)
    1d20+13;1d8+4 → [13,13] = (26) = HIT!
    1d20+13;1d8+4 → [3,4] = (7)
    1d20+13;1d8+4 → [13,13] = (26) = HIT!
    1d20+13;1d8+4 → [6,4] = (10)
    1d20+13;1d8+4 → [8,13] = (21)
    1d20+13;1d8+4 → [2,4] = (6)

    Total damage: 17

    Map!
    Encounter-4-Map-Round-3a.png

    Encounter Information!
    :arrow: Siali - Status: None - HP 69/75 - AC 23; F 18, R 22, W 20, PP 15 +4 AC untill the beginning of her next turn.
    Dardek - Status: None - HP 46/86 AC 29 F 19 R 19
    Edgil - Status: +4 AC until end of Dardek's turn - HP 63/64 AC 23; F 20, R 24, W 21, W 20
    Aziz - Status: None HP 76/76, AC 29; F 24, R 23, W 22
    Skull Lord Status: None - HP 40/40 - AC 24; F 21, R 22, W 23, PP 17; Immune Disease Poison, Resist 10 Necrotic, Vunerable 5 Radiant
    Jack - Status: Enemies get combat advantage until the end of Jacks turn - HP: Current HP-76/93 - AC 25; F 25; R 19; W 19
    Skeletal Tomb Guardian C Status: None - HP 70/126 - AC 17; F 16 R 16, W 15, PP 22; Immune Disease Poison, Resist 10 Necrotic, Vunerable 5 Radiant

    Next Up: Siali. Now's descion time, I think.

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • psolmspsolms regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    decison time indeed.

    Time slows to a crawl. This is where it could all collide Siali thinks. She looks around. The Skull Lord is ignoring her, her friends are busy. It has to happen. I wish this could go some other way, she thinks, but I'm not ready to give up just yet. No hard feelings. She drops her signature dagger and pulls out one of the more common ones and quickly slices a wide gash in the mayor's throat, leaving the dagger in. She pauses for a moment and calls out "I cant heal her... she's too far gone!"
    ill roll stealth and bluffs for those things, but an attack against a helpless target always rolls crit, right? so its 39 damage to the mayor from the sly flourish (i dont know if you need to track this or not..)
    sneaky kill (1d20+20=38)
    bluff about not being able to save her (1d20+14=25)

    psolms on
  • DVGDVG regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Skalmad will be pleased.

    Next Up: Dardek!

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • InxInx regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dardek stomped his way back into the action, grumbling as he went.

    He saw the last remaining Tomb Guardian and pointed at it.

    "Prepare to recieve Pelor's judgement!"
    Dardek to F8, declare Skeletal Tomb Guard C as my Divine Challenge.
    Channel Divinity: Divine Strength, add Strength as damage to my next attack this turn.
    Invigorating Smite on Guard C - it's effect wont go off as nobody's bloodied, but the extra damage will be nice.

    1d20+12 = 27 HIT!

    Damage: 2d10+10=24


    Encounter Information!
    Siali - Status: None - HP 69/75 - AC 23; F 18, R 22, W 20, PP 15 +4 AC untill the beginning of her next turn.
    Dardek - Status: None - HP 46/86 AC 29 F 19 R 19
    :arrow: Edgil - Status:None - HP 63/64 AC 23; F 20, R 24, W 21, W 20
    Aziz - Status: None HP 76/76, AC 29; F 24, R 23, W 22
    Skull Lord Status: None - HP 40/40 - AC 24; F 21, R 22, W 23, PP 17; Immune Disease Poison, Resist 10 Necrotic, Vunerable 5 Radiant
    Jack - Status: Enemies get combat advantage until the end of Jacks turn - HP: Current HP-76/93 - AC 25; F 25; R 19; W 19
    Skeletal Tomb Guardian C Status: None - HP 46/126 - AC 17; F 16 R 16, W 15, PP 22; Immune Disease Poison, Resist 10 Necrotic, Vunerable 5 Radiant

    Inx on
  • DenadaDenada regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Edgil waves his hand at the remaining tomb guardian, creating the image of a rabid housecat flying at the skeleton's face. For a moment the skeleton looks as though he'll ignore it, but suddenly he begins cutting himself with his flailing swords as he tries to bat away the illusory feline.
    Standard: Illusory Ambush vs. C (1d20+14=16) Hit! 15 psychic damage, and Tomb Guardian C suffers -2 to his attacks until the end of my next turn.

    Encounter Information!
    Siali - Status: None - HP 69/75 - AC 23; F 18, R 22, W 20, PP 15 +4 AC untill the beginning of her next turn.
    Dardek - Status: None - HP 46/86 AC 29 F 19 R 19
    Edgil - Status:None - HP 63/64 AC 23; F 20, R 24, W 21, W 20
    :arrow: Aziz - Status: None HP 76/76, AC 29; F 24, R 23, W 22
    Skull Lord Status: None - HP 40/40 - AC 24; F 21, R 22, W 23, PP 17; Immune Disease Poison, Resist 10 Necrotic, Vunerable 5 Radiant
    Jack - Status: Enemies get combat advantage until the end of Jacks turn - HP: Current HP-76/93 - AC 25; F 25; R 19; W 19
    Skeletal Tomb Guardian C Status: -2 to attacks (end of Edgil's next turn) - HP 31/126 - AC 17; F 16 R 16, W 15, PP 22; Immune Disease Poison, Resist 10 Necrotic, Vunerable 5 Radiant

    Denada on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    "Jack! Number 3!"

    Though the barbarian had tired of Aziz' insistence on drilling and practice, it was moments like these -- when the dragonborn's bold strikes and parries made the opening for Jack's sword to shatter an empty, brittle skull -- that it was all worth it.

    "Ha! You see?"

    Then again, Aziz tended to gloat whenever they pulled off a practiced technique.
    move to E9 for the flanking of skeletal dude C.

    standard... oh, it's Jack's favorite!

    Brash Assault 1d20 19=38, damage 1d10 9=18

    Skeleton retaliation 1d20 13=25 which is 27 with combat advantage but still a miss

    1d20 19=32, damage 1d12 11=18

    Skeletal dude is deader than last tuesday.
    Siali - Status: None - HP 69/75 - AC 23; F 18, R 22, W 20, PP 15 +4 AC untill the beginning of her next turn.
    Dardek - Status: None - HP 46/86 AC 29 F 19 R 19
    Edgil - Status:None - HP 63/64 AC 23; F 20, R 24, W 21, W 20
    Aziz - Status: None HP 76/76, AC 29; F 24, R 23, W 22
    :arrow: Skull Lord Status: None - HP 40/40 - AC 24; F 21, R 22, W 23, PP 17; Immune Disease Poison, Resist 10 Necrotic, Vunerable 5 Radiant
    Jack - Status: Enemies get combat advantage until the end of Jacks turn - HP: Current HP-76/93 - AC 25; F 25; R 19; W 19
    Skeletal Tomb Guardian C Status: DEAD - AC 17; F 16 R 16, W 15, PP 22; Immune Disease Poison, Resist 10 Necrotic, Vunerable 5 Radiant

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • DVGDVG regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The skull lord, now alone and friendless, shoots a stream of black fire at Aziz, not attempting to escape even in these dire circumstances.
    Skull Lord uses Skull of Withering Flame on Aziz!
    1d20+15 = 31 vs. Aziz Fortitude
    2d6+3 = 10 Fire/Necrotic Damage

    Encounter Information!
    Siali - Status: None - HP 69/75 - AC 23; F 18, R 22, W 20, PP 15 +4 AC untill the beginning of her next turn.
    Dardek - Status: None - HP 46/86 AC 29 F 19 R 19
    Edgil - Status:None - HP 63/64 AC 23; F 20, R 24, W 21, W 20
    Aziz - Status: None HP 66/76, AC 29; F 24, R 23, W 22
    Skull Lord Status: None - HP 40/40 - AC 24; F 21, R 22, W 23, PP 17; Immune Disease Poison, Resist 10 Necrotic, Vunerable 5 Radiant
    :arrow: Jack - Status: Enemies get combat advantage until the end of Jacks turn - HP: Current HP-76/93 - AC 25; F 25; R 19; W 19

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Aziz raises his shield just in time to dissipate the black flame of the Skull Lord.

    "Now, Jack... NOW!"

    The Warforged flew into action, swinging his blade at the now one-headed abomination.
    Aziz uses Rallying Deflection (utility 10) to reduce the damage by 1/2 his level. He takes only 5 damage from the ranged attack.

    Jack charges the skull lord as a free action to end in the closest square, which would be E5 i think:

    1d20+17=24, damage 1d12+19=22

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Already next to the enemy, Jack swings his blade once again, sure to kill it. Alas, he has become a little dizzy from all of his jumping and spinning around, and the blade goes wide, leaving an opening for the creature.
    Avalance Strike: 1d20+19 (target is bloodied, jack is bloodraging) = 23 Miss! The skull lord gets a +4 to hit Jack for one turn.
    Encounter Information!
    :arrow:Siali - Status: None - HP 69/75 - AC 23; F 18, R 22, W 20, PP 15 +4 AC untill the beginning of her next turn.
    Dardek - Status: None - HP 46/86 AC 29 F 19 R 19
    Edgil - Status:None - HP 63/64 AC 23; F 20, R 24, W 21, W 20
    Aziz - Status: None HP 66/76, AC 29; F 24, R 23, W 22
    Skull Lord Status: None - HP 18/40 - AC 24; F 21, R 22, W 23, PP 17; Immune Disease Poison, Resist 10 Necrotic, Vunerable 5 Radiant
    Jack - Status: Enemies get a +4 to hit jack for one turn - HP: Current HP-76/93 - AC 25; F 25; R 19; W 19

    Foolish Chaos on
  • psolmspsolms regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Siali jumps up from the fallen mayor and plunges her dagger into the spine of the Skull Lord, catching him off guard and killing him.
    move: shift to C3 (or whatever space gives me CA opposite Jack)
    standard: Rogues Luck vs Skull Lord (1d20+20=27, 2d4+4=6, 3d8=21) - hit, dead. (27 damage)

    psolms on
  • DVGDVG regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The skull lord falls and brings with it a ringing silence as you all come to realize the mayor is not returning to her feet, a wide gash in her throat leaking blood out in a large pool. A normal dagger lies next to the mayor, it must have been the Brigand's.

    Guards start to make their way into the tower room, looking around and trying to piece together what has happened.

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • DVGDVG regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    To be fair to Siali, lets get a Perception and Insight check to see if you noticed those things

    Perception DC: 38
    Insight DC: 25

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • DVGDVG regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In this case, yup. If this was something an enemy had done and wasn't being narrated openly, you would have had to make these rolls to even have a chance of noticing, and the fact that you as a player are aware of the other player's actions and can thus form an argument on why you should just know shouldn't preclude your need to make these checks.

    And yes, the DCs are high, but consistent with unraveling the plot of an uncommonly good rogue based on the checks she made.

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • DVGDVG regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Further, I wouldn't describe a count of how many mundane daggers a person carries on their belt versus their signature special daggers is "Obvious" unless you're Batman. It's like playing Scene It where after a movie clip it asks you how many candles were on the table.

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Aziz did his duty in showing the guards their adventuring charter, and explaining their business with the Mayor that had brought them there. Though he informed them factually of the Trolls and the Knights' promise to the Mayor, he couldn't keep himself from being quite upset at the current situation.

    "Damnit." Aziz shook his head. "This is a disgrace. What did we do wrong?"

    The warlord shouldered his shield and sheathed his sword, barely able even to glance at the Mayor. Instead, he regarded the body of the brigand that lay on the floor.

    "This bastard killed Moonstair's chief official and cost us twenty-five-hundred gold pieces, Knights. Having failed to protect their Mayor, it's improper for us to demand reward money from Moonstair's people as far as the Trolls are concerned. I'll have no argument on that from any of you. The Troll King is a much more pressing concern. But perhaps after we get rid of this Skalmad, we can see about settling the debt with this brigand's red-handed friends.

    "I'll be in my quarters. Don't wake me unless it's important... we need to head out early tomorrow."

    With a nod to the group Aziz descended the stairs, the guardsmen of Moonstair granting him a wide berth.

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • DVGDVG regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The guards accept Aziz's explanation and carry the mayor out of her quarters to be buried, cursing the horrors that invaded their town.

    "Might leave tomorrow, I might" a citizen is overheard saying. "If our soldiers can't keep these types out, what chance 'ave we got against a great bunch of Trolls? Think I'll go get packed up now and catch the first Caravan out of town."

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jack sheaths his large sword and stares at the mayors corpse as it is being dragged out, a little late to notice her demise through all of the action. He places one large hand over his eyes and thinks If we haden't taken the time downstairs to rest, would we have made it in time? He of course does not relay this to the party, as such thoughts do nothing but hinder their progress, and his large hand on Siali's shoulder.

    "You tried, there wasn't anything that could be done.... We will avenge her. We must."
    I decided to roll anyway even though I coulden't possibly make the check, and it turns out that Jack is blisfully ignorant of the events:

    Perception: 11, Insight: 10

    Foolish Chaos on
  • DenadaDenada regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Edgil looks over the bodies of the brigand and the skull lord for anything interesting. Once satisfied, he makes for the stairs. "So, we're not getting paid then?," he says, finally noticing that the mayor is dead. "That's a shame."

    He looks at his comrades, and pauses longer than is comfortable on Siali. "Too bad the killer couldn't wait until we were done."
    I'll take 10 on perception to search the bodies if I can. And for the Siali subplot:

    Being perceptively insightful (Per, Ins). (1d20+10=13, 1d20+10=30) That's a failed perception, critical success on Insight.

    Edgil being Edgil, he's not really going to say anything about it. Or rather, he's not going to make the connection that he should say something about it.

    I'm in dire need of an extended rest as well. Also, do we get XP for the fight?

    Denada on
  • DVGDVG regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yes, 550 XP Each. Welcome to the end of Day One, guys! :)

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • psolmspsolms regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Siali sighs, frustrated. "The loss of the mayor is unfortunate, but dont we have something in writing that would guarentee pay?"

    She matches Edgil's stare, not flinching before continuing back to her room. They know, she thinks, they all know. Why arent they saying anything?
    time for some Tell-tale Heart style freakouts :P
    also by my count, we should be at 27710/32000 XP, yes?

    psolms on
  • DVGDVG regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Gimmie a !ready if you want to take an extended rest and advance to the next day

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    !ready

    Foolish Chaos on
  • InxInx regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dardek slung his hammer on his belt and his shield on his back, watching them take the mayor away. He looked at his group, gauging their reactions. Something wasn't right, he was certain of that. However, now was not the time to accuse. Now, as in all times of tragedy, was the time to heal.

    "My friends, I will meet you back at our lodgings. There is work to be done for a priest this night, and I fear my hesitation may have cost us the mayor's life."

    Before taking his rest for the night, he would take the time to bless and pray over the area in which the mayor was killed, to remove the taint of Orcus, and then he would try and do the same for the mayor's body before going to sleep.
    Perception 1d20+9 = 17 Failed
    Insight 1d20+14 = 34 Critically successful!
    !ready

    Inx on
  • psolmspsolms regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    !ready

    psolms on
  • DenadaDenada regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Edgil spends a few more hours studying, then falls asleep face down in his spellbook.
    !ready

    Denada on
  • DVGDVG regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You awake the next morning and are introduced to Amir, the unreasonably young human captain of the town watch and the newly deputized mayor. It was well known that Kalena valued politics over military strength in her town, and the young captain, barely a man grown, is evidence of that.

    "Right, well" his voice cracks slightly. "I heard your doing this for charity now, we take that as a kindness. Anyhow... you'll have to be finding Skalmad. His lair is known as the Great Warren, and it's located somewhere within the Trollhaunt, a region of bogs, thickets and low-forrested ridges around Moonstair. Unfortunatley, the only people who know it's exact location are dead, so you've a search on your hands.

    We don't have any magical assistance to offer you, though you may help yourself to any mundane equipment in our armory. I suggest you move out quickly, I suspect Skalmad's hand in Kalena's death"

    Note: I'm sort of assuming you've completed your errands in town and are ready to move on, let me know if this assumption is incorrect.

    An ancient stone road leads east from Moonstair through dense,
    damp woodlands that soon give way to stretches of fog-shrouded
    marsh. This is the Trollhaunt, a region of bogs, thickets, and
    low forested ridges that runs for miles. An hour’s march east of
    Moonstair, the old road gives out, disappearing into a great bog.
    Faint footpaths lead off to either side, but you soon find yourself
    in a maze of sluggish streams, meandering trails, and impen-
    etrable brush.


    Skill Challenge: Finding the Trollhaunt Warrens!
    Complexity: 2 (6 Successes Before 3 Failure)
    Meta-Infromation:
    This Skill Challenge Uses Endurance, Nature and Perception as it's primary skills, and History/Nature as Secondary Skills, but if you can come up with a good reason for another skill to be used, please do so.

    Skill Descriptions, for purposes of this challenge:
    Endurance: Not giving up on finding your quary, and looking well longer than others might in your place. This check can be made as a group.
    Perception: Finding a good vantage point to study your surroundings and get your bearings
    Nature: By reading the land, you might find your way towards the higher ground where the warren supposedly lies.
    Nature (Lesser): Looking for Troll Tracks and other clues to where skalmads forces might go
    History: Recollection of old maps and other information to help you in your search.

    So this skill challenge takes place over 2 days or more, depending on how it goes. We don't have to roll initiative, but everyone make a relevant check (or an unrelevant one, if you have a good reason for it) and describe what you're doing.

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • DVGDVG regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Live, damn you, live!

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • DenadaDenada regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    "You know, bogs like this have been known to ...[35 minutes of rambling exposition]... so I think if we pay attention to what kinds of plants we're seeing, we may be able to deduce the direction of Skalmad's warren."

    "And now that I'm thinking about it, I may have read something about this area once..."

    "...no, I think that was a different trollhaunt altogether. Actually I think it was about elves. And it wasn't a haunt."

    Denada on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Edgil... you really must learn the difference between knowledge and history. Bogs and plants and various fascinating aspects of nature aside, the old Vandar Kingdom was located further west than you're recollecting. Perhaps in the direction of that very large monolith over there, the one that's marked on the old maps?

    "Let's push onward, Knights. The longer we tarry, the less of our strength we shall have when we find these Villains."

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • InxInx regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dardek spent most of the time silent, instead tending to his group's aches and woes, and occasionally finding a good rock to stand on.
    Endurance: 1d20+12 = 28
    Perception: 1d20+9 = 22

    "You're fine, Edgil, it's barely a twisted ankle, let alone a break. Lean on a good stick if you have to, you'll forget all about it in an hour or so!"

    "Well, we certainly aren't going in circles, I can see Moonstair way back behind us, right where it belongs!"

    Inx on
  • DVGDVG regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Requesting skill checks from Siali and Jack.

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'll post mine in a few hours. Graduating tomorrow, so its been a little hectic around here. :P

    Foolish Chaos on
  • DVGDVG regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tis cool, just didn't want the thread to fall off the main page and into Obscurity :)

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jack takes up the rear, making sure that the group keeps a good pace and helping Dardek pick up any stragglers.

    A bit into the march, the warforged points off into the distance, his flickering eyes spotting something. "Was that a troll? Maybe we should follow it."
    Endurance: 1d20+14 = 21
    Perception: 1d20+9 = 28

    Not sure if I'm doing this right, also someone will probably have to roll for Siali if we didn't already pass the challenge.

    Foolish Chaos on
Sign In or Register to comment.