Options

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Goron Mario bricks Wii, Puff Mario gets high

• Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    JONJONAUG wrote: »
    Graviija wrote: »
    I don't give a shit about innovation here. I want more SMG; they're giving me more SMG. I'm more than content. I'm fucking ecstatic.

This times a million. Super Mario Galaxy is the most fun I've ever had with a game since the first time I picked up a controller.
    Awesome, SMG was the reason I got a Wii in the first place. All I ask is for the purple coins challenges to be removed (or at least have them not as painful as Battle Rock). Bad memories.

Fuck that. The purple coin missions were some of the most fun in the game.

Most of them weren't bad, but having to restart the on-rails one after missing one coin? Or the one with the vanishing tiles? Those levels can die in a ditch.

Luigi's Purple Coins was my favorite level.

Well, I enjoy some of the more insane Trauma Centre missions, so fair enough. At least nobody likes the side-quests where you have to throw bomb-ombs in the junkyard, right?

At the very least they had better not.

I had trouble with that for the longest time until I realized that you just had to throw them onto the coin markers.

And Luigi's Purple Coins was also one of my favorite levels.

Yeah, the thing about the purple coin levels was that they were fair, and beatable, but still very challenging. It felt so good to finally get all of Luigi's fucking purple coins.

The garbage/bomb cleanup levels can go to hell. I got past them, but it was almost like they were testing your limits of tolerance a little. Any other game and I would have said f this.

The video from Nintendo's E3 conference hardly had any gems in it. I was a bit worried at first, but finally got a clear view of some near the end of the video. You gotta have gems, and the two player coop mode.

Saddler on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    When they say that 10% of the old content will be reused, does that necessarily include some of the old galaxys, or do they just mean things like enemies, art assets and so on?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A sequal to my favourite game this generation?
    Why, yes, I believe I will be buying that.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    When they say that 10% of the old content will be reused, does that necessarily include some of the old galaxys, or do they just mean things like enemies, art assets and so on?

judging from the context 10% of the game will take place on old maps

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah purple coins really weren't that hard, you guys should just suck less.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was just thinking to myself, why does this game announcement fill me with glee, and L4D2 made me rather angry, unfulfilled...

I think it's because of the quality of the original. SMG was fantastic, L4D turned out to be shorter and not as good as expected. Ironically, this gives L4D a better reason to release a sequel, to fix the problems of the older. I guess we really are incapable of making rational decisions.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rational decisions? thats a fully human condition. If we always lived by rational decisions, I doubt we would of ever left the safety of water.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rational decisions? thats a fully human condition. If we always lived by rational decisions, I doubt we would of ever left the safety of water.

Until one fish was chased by shark and jumped out of the water and ran right up the beach and climbed a tree.

...I think that's my new preferred view of evolution.

Anyway, I'm definitely with the excited and hoping there's more challenge crowd. Yes Luigi's purple coins, no battlerock purple coins. And maybe no spring Mario... never liked that suit much, except maybe a couple points where it felt like it was both useful and a challenge instead of just a control hassle.

Aydr on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would happily accept an option that let me play the entire game as spring Mario.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hm. I never got around to finishing SMG, so not sure if I could justify buying a new one. I'll throw my voice behind the 10% of repeated maps being weird, though. I know it's not unheard of for mario games to revisit old maps, I think I'd rather just see all new stuff for a straight sequel.

This has inspired me to go back to SMG though and give it another shot. I enjoyed it a lot, my attention just drifted off it.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The first SMG was far too easy, if this one bumps the difficulty it might be worth a go!

Snare on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll join everyone else in the 'Thankyou Sir, May I have Another' crowd. More Galaxy is more good!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I don't give a shit about innovation here. I want more SMG; they're giving me more SMG. I'm more than content. I'm fucking ecstatic.

Not enough lime in the world to show how much I agree with this statement. :D

We can start by liming your post as well.

T-t-t-t-triple lime !

Seriously, SMG was such a delight - a sequel with more of the same plus some new stuff (Yoshi yay) ?
    Gimme !

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ...and what, no pointer for collecting star bits?

Just because they don't show it doesn't mean it's gone. I don't think the SMG trailers showed collecting starbits.

Peewi on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm absolutely ecstatic this is being made. Like everyone has already said, they really don't need innovation when Galaxy was the apex of the 3D Mario platforming formula. I really don't see how they can improve on it, other than just keep piling more crazy stuff on top... which is what they're doing!

So, yeah, Galaxy was my favorite game of 2007, and quite possibly my favorite game of the last decade, so my heart goes out to you, Nintendo. You got me.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Son of a - now I am pissed that I have to work today and that I can't just play Mario Galaxy for eight hours.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I really don't see how they can improve on it, other than just keep piling more crazy stuff on top... which is what they're doing!
    The only complaint I really have with the game is something that cropped up again just now, after I played it for the first time in about a year.

It's not always clear to me whether or not the body I'm standing on has gravity on all sides. I know to look out for black holes but they aren't always apparent. The annoying deaths in this game have been from me gleefully leaping off one edge of a platform only to get sucked away into space.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    el_vicio wrote: »
    eelektrik wrote: »

Not enough lime in the world to show how much I agree with this statement. :D

We can start by liming your post as well.

T-t-t-t-triple lime !

Seriously, SMG was such a delight - a sequel with more of the same plus some new stuff (Yoshi yay) ?
    Gimme

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

SMG2, NSMBWii, and Punch Out is like Nintendo asked what I wanted made and did it.

SMG was borderline perfect.

Algertman on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hope it isn't dumb Yoshi from Sunshine. Awesome Yoshi from SMW please.

More specifically; if I finish a level with Yoshi I want him to return to the hub world with me and then enter the next level with me. Also different colour Yoshi with different powers.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I really don't see how they can improve on it, other than just keep piling more crazy stuff on top... which is what they're doing!
    The only complaint I really have with the game is something that cropped up again just now, after I played it for the first time in about a year.

It's not always clear to me whether or not the body I'm standing on has gravity on all sides. I know to look out for black holes but they aren't always apparent. The annoying deaths in this game have been from me gleefully leaping off one edge of a platform only to get sucked away into space.

Actually those are the most fun and hilarious deaths.

"WheeeeeeOH HELL AAUUUUGGGHHHHH"

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I want more playable characters besides M&L, they should add Peach and Toad and make them control like in SMB2. That way you can have four ways of nicely varied gameplay. The way how Luigi controlled differently in SMG1 was a good first step.

Arceus on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Awesome, SMG was the reason I got a Wii in the first place. All I ask is for the purple coins challenges to be removed (or at least have them not as painful as Battle Rock). Bad memories.

Most of them weren't bad, but having to restart the on-rails one after missing one coin? Or the one with the vanishing tiles? Those levels can die in a ditch.

Really? That was the one that finally convinced me to put SMG back on the shelf.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shit! This announcement makes me want to play SMG again. I never found all 120 star with Luigi, so I guess that will be my new quest. (And I still need to finish No More Heroes, Madworld, GTA Chinatown Wars and EBA....too many games D:)

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    Jagged WafflesJagged Waffles Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    I hope it isn't dumb Yoshi from Sunshine. Awesome Yoshi from SMW please.

More specifically; if I finish a level with Yoshi I want him to return to the hub world with me and then enter the next level with me. Also different colour Yoshi with different powers.

You can see an orange and blue Yoshi during the trailer, orange is running really fast and blue is puffed up like a balloon. It looks like Yoshi can change colour like in Sunshine.

Not having to find a new Yoshi after every level would be great though.

Jagged Waffles on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is fairly amazing. Everyone wondered how they could top Galaxy. Apparently they simply don't have to. It has been said, but this is a game where I'm very happy to see "more of the same".

I think I'm going to watch the trailer a few more times.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fucking rights. I got every star with both bros in the first one, so I am more than ready for this. The only parts I didn't like were the bomb/garbage parts. Also, every time they announce a new Mario game, I pray for the Koopa Kids, and always get Bowser Jr. instead. Give me Morton, Roy, Wendy and company please. Nice to see them in NSMB Wii.

Also, when they said 90 percent of the stuff was new, I didn't take it to mean 10 percent of the levels were old. I took it to mean the Bee Suit would be back, or the vine sliding would return. Shit like that. I really doubt you'll see the Honeybee galaxy or entire levels returning.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    ...and what, no pointer for collecting star bits?

Just because they don't show it doesn't mean it's gone. I don't think the SMG trailers showed collecting starbits.
    I'm guessing it just looks cleaner for trailers to leave the pointer out.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Huh, I thought I spotted the pointer for aiming Yoshi's tongue there

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It also clearly shows the pointer collecting a star bit.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    jclast wrote: »

Really? That was the one that finally convinced me to put SMG back on the shelf.

My favorite Mario game is Lost Levels.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Which I thought was easier than SMB3, which I have never even completed.
    's true.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    el_vicio wrote: »

Which I thought was easier than SMB3, which I have never even completed.
    's true.

What

SMB3 is a cakewalk until world 8 where there's a bit a difficulty spike but nothing major.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah I think there were 3 levels or so to go (World 8, that is) - might dust off the SNES and give it a shot again, but I'm feeling kinda meh about it.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I also didn't think Lost Levels was particularly hard (well, 15 years ago, anyway). I could never beat the first game, though :P

I think it has something to do with the way Super Mario All-Stars saved. IIRC, it kept track of each individual stage in Lost Levels, but if you died in the original, you had to start world 8 from the beginning.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ITT Speed Racer brags about his jumping prowess.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Junior YankJunior Yank Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Ha, that was nothing. The purple coin Luigi challenge was pure torture.

Those disappearing blocks killed me so many times.

Yeah, dying so many times on Luigi's Purple Coins eventually led to me becoming really good at it. By the time I came back around in New Game +, I breezed through it without dying. I felt like a champ!

Like most people, I'm super excited about SMG2, though at the beginning of Nintendo's presentation, I thought that the "4th dimension" stuff was leading up to a "Super Mario Space-Time Continuum" announcement. Maybe next time?

Junior Yank on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would have been fine with just more levels, but the trailer was absolutely bursting with crazy new ideas. And given nobody else is going to make a platformer even remotely like Galaxy, I'll happily lap up more.

Damn, now I need to go back and finish the Luigi stuff.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This announcement made me cackle with joy, but it also made me realize I've left Galaxy uncompleted. I did "finish" the game but only have about 70-ish stars. I'll be remedying this shortly.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Chen wrote: »
    ITT Speed Racer brags about his jumping prowess.

Oh no no no. I fumble around impotently in Lost Levels just like everyone else. I just enjoy it.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hope they get rid of the fucking ridiculous lives system from Galaxy. It stops meaning anything when there's no penalty for a Game Over and the game's so damn easy that you pick up two lives for every one you lose. I think the only time I ever got a game over in Galaxy was after I finished it, and decided to see what would happen.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
This discussion has been closed.