Options

I hate everyone on the [Food Network]

191012141518

Posts

  • Options
    SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I want to read Bourdain's books. I really like his prose, and I bet it gets better going from TV to written.

    Also, as between Iron Chef America and OG Iron Chef: OG Iron Chef was more creative and diverse (and difficult). America is more a parade of Food Network personalities. Although I'd still prefer the Iron Chef America food, but that's probably because I'm a picky eater and 5 courses of cooked ox bowel doesn't really seem that appetizing.

    SkankPlaya on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    nosnibor wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I find Ace of Cakes to be an enjoyable show. I'd just like to see a recipe every now and then. Maybe it's just the format of the show, but I always get the vibe that the food is secondary and the presentation is what's important, which is a sentiment I don't really agree with.

    The show isn't about cakes. It's about a bunch of people who make cakes.

    If people ask for super incredibly intricate and customized cakes, it's because presentation is the most important thing. They're not paid to make the most delicious confections, they're paid to be able to say 'yes' when you want a cake that looks like boba fett riding a rancor and throwing a thermal detonator down its throat.

    Javen on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    nosnibor wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I find Ace of Cakes to be an enjoyable show. I'd just like to see a recipe every now and then. Maybe it's just the format of the show, but I always get the vibe that the food is secondary and the presentation is what's important, which is a sentiment I don't really agree with.
    the show is clearly and unapologetically advertised as being about design
    so if you have an issue with it not being about the food, I'd say that's your problem for expecting something the show clearly isn't about

    it's like saying BSG is a dumb show because it's not an edgy police drama

    Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Starfuck wrote: »
    remember when Shatner hosted the premiere of Iron Chef America?
    oh billy

    I'm pretty sure that was all totally different people and predated the current ICA by a few years.
    nosnibor wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I find Ace of Cakes to be an enjoyable show. I'd just like to see a recipe every now and then. Maybe it's just the format of the show, but I always get the vibe that the food is secondary and the presentation is what's important, which is a sentiment I don't really agree with.
    They're showpiece cakes for events. That's explicitly clear. Very little of it is anything you would want to eat.

    Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Some of the cakes made on Ace of Cakes, while they're a far cry from the standard rectangle and circle, are still sorta kitschy and look unfinished.

    SkankPlaya on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SkankPlaya wrote: »
    Some of the cakes made on Ace of Cakes, while they're a far cry from the standard rectangle and circle, are still sorta kitschy and look unfinished.

    You know, I have a similar issue with some of the stuff on FN Challenge. I know it's the limitations of the medium, and I suppose it's impressive that they do what they do. But a great blue heron forged from steal is no less edible than one made of wooden dowels wrapped in fondant and tends to look way better. It's some perverse mixture of cuisine and sculpture that gets me neither of the results I really want.

    Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fondant tastes like shit that has been dried to beef jerky consitency.

    So really, the cake HAS to be fucking incredible because god knows the icing sucks.

    Also, I love Duff and all that but I don't think I'll ever pony up the 500 or 1000 minimum to get a cake done there.

    DrZiplock on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    elena is my second favorite because she's adorable

    geoff is my favorite because he quietly makes fun of everyone under his breath.

    Javen on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Javen wrote: »
    geoff is my favorite because he quietly makes fun of everyone under his breath.

    I don't think that's what he's doing. It's just a wheezing noise he makes when he exhales all that pot.

    Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I never got into Ace of Cakes for that reason; good presentation is cool, but I'm much more about tasting good. So yeah.

    I miss Ted Allen as a judge on Top Chef. I hope he goes back next season, somehow.

    neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    nosnibornosnibor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just remembered another Bobby Flay crutch: Wild rice waffles. I first saw him do it on one of his many losing efforts on Throwdown, and I've seen him use it on at least two ICA competitions.

    nosnibor on
    When you're a spy, it's a good idea to give away your trade secrets in a voiceover on a TV show.
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm pretty sure they supply parties with sheet cake in addition to the center-piece cake, so I'd say guests are mostly eating that. It just doesn't get shown too often since the show is mostly centered around design/being a candid reality show about a bakery (though they have shown them before, like at Roger Moore's thing).

    One thing I don't particularly like about Ace of Cakes are the occasional cakes that don't really have much cake. The Harry Potter premiere cake comes to mind. Wasn't the only part of that cake the ground and the castle was made up of mostly board or some other structure? I know it wasn't supposed to be eaten but still.

    Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If it's not edible you aren't making cake anymore your doing paper mache.

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    they are very clear that they make mostly edible cakes. some of the structure or accessories might be inedible, but not the majority.

    satansfingers on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Technically paper mache is mostly edible too.

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    the interior of the cakes are made of cake. occasionally they use like pieces of wood or a metal frame or something to keep things from falling apart. sometimes they use fireworks that i'm pretty sure are inedible.

    satansfingers on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I dunno, after seeing the way that they handle some of the cakes I'm not so sure I would want to eat them anyway.

    TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    I dunno, after seeing the way that they handle some of the cakes I'm not so sure I would want to eat them anyway.

    man if you get like that with ace of cakes never read bourdain's book, kitchen confidential

    you will probably never go to a restaurant again

    satansfingers on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    I dunno, after seeing the way that they handle some of the cakes I'm not so sure I would want to eat them anyway.

    man if you get like that with ace of cakes never read bourdain's book, kitchen confidential

    you will probably never go to a restaurant again

    DO NOT ORDER FISH ON A MONDAY

    neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, the few episodes of Ace of Cakes I saw gave me the impression that they're more architects/sculptors than bakers. The actual cake they use always looks dry as hell, and then everything's draped with that just-barely-edible-sheet-of-plastic frosting.

    KalTorak on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Yeah, the few episodes of Ace of Cakes I saw gave me the impression that they're more architects/sculptors than bakers. The actual cake they use always looks dry as hell, and then everything's draped with that just-barely-edible-sheet-of-plastic frosting.

    I like Ace of Cakes for the people, really, and seeing how they overcome logistical problems. They do use a lot of fondant, but I don't really see it as a how-to show at all.

    JoeUser on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    neville wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    I dunno, after seeing the way that they handle some of the cakes I'm not so sure I would want to eat them anyway.

    man if you get like that with ace of cakes never read bourdain's book, kitchen confidential

    you will probably never go to a restaurant again

    DO NOT ORDER FISH ON A MONDAY

    JUST SAY NO TO SUNDAY BUFFETS! ESPECIALLY WITH SEAFOOD!

    DrZiplock on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Yeah, the few episodes of Ace of Cakes I saw gave me the impression that they're more architects/sculptors than bakers. The actual cake they use always looks dry as hell, and then everything's draped with that just-barely-edible-sheet-of-plastic frosting.

    Yeah, besides the fact that fondant is supposed to be awful, the cakes also sit out for a couple days before going to an event and are usually carved of their outer...uh, crust which can only make the insides dry up that much quicker. In fact, I'd bet they can't even use real tender, moist cakes because they'd probably be harder to carve. For their purposes, it's probably better to have the driest cakes possible.

    I guess I wouldn't have a problem with this, knowing they have sheet cakes available and this being a show about design, but then they show the customers raving about how delicious the actual cake sculpture is and it's hard for me to believe that.

    Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think you've got to remember Omeks that a lot of people have low standards for food. Like really low. Also, if I spent that much money on a cake I'd tell everyone that I met that it was the best goddamn cake I'd ever had, no matter what I actually thought. Also, your wedding cake tastes awesome regardless because by the time you get to cake you're totally wasted.

    Also, I love ICA, I just wish they'd let Mario Batali out of his box and never, ever let Boomer Esiason be a judge again.

    Peen on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think you've got to remember Omeks that a lot of people have low standards for food. Like really low. Also, if I spent that much money on a cake I'd tell everyone that I met that it was the best goddamn cake I'd ever had, no matter what I actually thought. Also, your wedding cake tastes awesome regardless because by the time you get to cake you're totally wasted.

    Also, I love ICA, I just wish they'd let Mario Batali out of his box and never, ever let Boomer Esiason be a judge again.

    What'd Boomer do?

    Also Bonecrusher is the best judge.

    Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you're ordering from Charm City cakes you obviously aren't concerned with it tasting good.

    Having been present at a couple of events where it was served (and a couple where its illegitimate son Jet City Cakes played chef) they use way too much fondant and the cake is generally dry and not very flavorful. I did think it was kind of funny that it came with a two page instruction manual for carving the cake. Including a section called "Do not eat the following:"

    Looks amazing though.

    Mike's Amazing Cakes though... that guy makes delicious stuff that also looks great. Yeah, he's kind of a douchebag in person, but so what, you never have to deal with him. I think the main thing is that they have a relatively thick layer of butter cream between the cake and the fondant.

    Taramoor on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2009
    kosher pickles on a sandwich is pretty much the best thing

    Unknown User on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think you've got to remember Omeks that a lot of people have low standards for food. Like really low. Also, if I spent that much money on a cake I'd tell everyone that I met that it was the best goddamn cake I'd ever had, no matter what I actually thought. Also, your wedding cake tastes awesome regardless because by the time you get to cake you're totally wasted.

    Yeah, I'd say being on TV has something to do with it too. If you say something bad about the cake, the editors are gonna cut you straight out of the show, never to be heard from again, so you're gonna say something positive to avoid being cut out. It's probably also hard to criticize Duff if you're a big fan of his show and ordered a cake because of that.

    Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Does anyone else think Sandra Lee is secretly (or obviously) a raging alcoholic who is likely in a loveless marriage that she can't get out of because she'd lose millions?

    I can't help but get that feeling every time her show is on.

    ShimSham on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I do really like cool looking cakes made by random people.

    2363523132_009d10b936_b.jpg

    JoeUser on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ShimSham wrote: »
    Does anyone else think Sandra Lee is secretly (or obviously) a raging alcoholic who is likely in a loveless marriage that she can't get out of because she'd lose millions?

    I can't help but get that feeling every time her show is on.

    Who doesn't think that? She devotes a segment of her show to being cocktail time and you'd have to be drunk to make the kind of food she makes.

    1 Chicken + 1 Taco Seasoning Packet + Storebought Cheesecake = Delicious Chicken Carbonara!

    Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    See, that's an awesome-looking cake that looks like it could also taste awesome.

    KalTorak on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Omeks wrote: »
    ShimSham wrote: »
    Does anyone else think Sandra Lee is secretly (or obviously) a raging alcoholic who is likely in a loveless marriage that she can't get out of because she'd lose millions?

    I can't help but get that feeling every time her show is on.

    Who doesn't think that? She devotes a segment of her show to being cocktail time and you'd have to be drunk to make the kind of food she makes.

    1 Chicken + 1 Taco Seasoning Packet + Storebought Cheesecake = Delicious Chicken Carbonara!

    Yeah and her show seems like it's aimed at the exact same kind of woman.

    "It's 2:30 in the afternoon ladies and I've got a new cocktail recipe for you. You better hurry though, your husband who is sleeping with his secretary will be mad if dinner isn't ready when he gets home, and Trevor and Conner will be home from school in an hour!"

    ShimSham on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think you've got to remember Omeks that a lot of people have low standards for food. Like really low. Also, if I spent that much money on a cake I'd tell everyone that I met that it was the best goddamn cake I'd ever had, no matter what I actually thought. Also, your wedding cake tastes awesome regardless because by the time you get to cake you're totally wasted.

    Also, I love ICA, I just wish they'd let Mario Batali out of his box and never, ever let Boomer Esiason be a judge again.

    What'd Boomer do?

    Also Bonecrusher is the best judge.

    shot the old man

    duh


    additionally, you have to respect Anthony Bourdain just for his comments on vegetarians

    MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thank God we've never gotten Sandra Lee in Canada. We're too sensible for all that nonsense.

    Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thank God we've never gotten Sandra Lee in Canada. We're too sensible for all that nonsense.

    curling.jpg

    ZeroFill on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They're kinda cute.

    DrZiplock on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    must be french-canadian

    ZeroFill on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    must be french-canadian

    because all Quebecois wear the US flag

    Usagi on
Sign In or Register to comment.