As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Just Cause 2: Causing Harder

• Options
    GeorgePKGeorgePK __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Okay, this looks basically like what mercs 2 need to be.

Gonna be tough deciding between this and red dead. :(

There not even the same kind of the game, I think Red Dead will have the quality of Rockstars, lots of freedom like GTA, Just Cause has freedom and all but some of the game mechanics look cheap to be honest at least in the first on they were.

GeorgePK on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The first game was more about the environment and traversing it. From the look of things, they seem to have realised they need to put more focus into the gameplay mechanic itself. I'm optimistic but then I absolutely adored the first game so..... yeah.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    GeorgePK wrote: »
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Okay, this looks basically like what mercs 2 need to be.

Gonna be tough deciding between this and red dead. :(

There not even the same kind of the game, I think Red Dead will have the quality of Rockstars, lots of freedom like GTA, Just Cause has freedom and all but some of the game mechanics look cheap to be honest at least in the first on they were.

I know that they're not the same type of game. It's just that I'm poor.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So there's a 15 dollar credit on Amazon for JC2. The PS3 version also seems to be a few bucks cheaper than the 360 version. Not sure if this means the game is shit or what, cause that's basically 40 bucks day one.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well, the PS3 version gets the video editor feature exclusively so that's a notch on it's belt. Though there are rumours of a replay function coming from Microsoft that'll run on the OS, thus working for every game. Not sure how much faith you want to put into that but there it is.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So there's a 15 dollar credit on Amazon for JC2. The PS3 version also seems to be a few bucks cheaper than the 360 version. Not sure if this means the game is shit or what, cause that's basically 40 bucks day one.

Are you talking about this?
    Get a $15 Video Games Credit
    Order Just Cause 2 and get $15 off a future video game purchase. The promotional code will be placed directly into your Amazon.com account within 2 business days after the product ships. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. Promotion valid on all existing orders. Limit one per household. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time.

Doesn't that mean you use it for future purchases, not Just Cause 2, or am I reading that wrong?

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well right, but theoretically that's 15 bucks you can spend on another game you'd buy in the future. I saw it on CAG.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Okay, so apparently in Europe they get all the preorder goodies with one preorder. Here, every retailer gets a different item and then all the items will be available for DLC.

You bastards.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What's the gamestop preorder again?

Was it the hovercraft?

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Gamestop gets Rico's "signature" gun that apparently Rico doesn't carry with him at all times.

There's a whole bunch of other shit, unless you're European. Then you get everything.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm getting really sick of this fucked up DLC cock blocking. Either stick it in the game proper or don't.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So Avalanche had a few local fans come into their studio and see the game for themselves. Here's what one of them wrote.
    http://www.panauisland.com/experience/

You can also check this video out, it's the very first youtube video uploading from a PS3 console by a writer at the Official PS3 mag.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRzgRptO1h4&feature=player_embedded

Big Classy on
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That is one badass freefall video. I never played the first game but this one looks right up my alley.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    My god, I might just freefall forever.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Holy shit.. That's beautiful.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I KNOW RIGHT!
    can. not. wait

Big Classy on
  • Options
    valgomirvalgomir Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    must... get... better... pc...
    i MUST have this game!

valgomir on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    valgomir wrote: »
    i MUST have this game!

console?

Big Classy on
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm hoping when Just Cause 2 goes up for preorder on Steam they'll toss in a free copy of the first game.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    Pete0rPete0r Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hopefully there will be plenty of fights on top of those sky scrapers, I want to try tethering people to the edge of the building and then knocking them over the edge.

Pete0r on
  • Options
    valgomirvalgomir Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    valgomir wrote: »
    i MUST have this game!

console?

nah, can't really use a console for anything else than gaming. and i need a better pc anyway :)
    also, my budget is already pretty low if you substract the costs for guitars and such.

valgomir on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh, I thought you already had a console. My bad.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Getting a Ps3 in a couple of weeks. God, Everything I want to play releases in March/April

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The only game I'm getting next month is this one. I really can't afford to keep getting every bloody new release. Plus nothing next month interests me anyway :P
    Oh and you lucky geese on the PS3 get the video uploading ability.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Pete0rPete0r Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Is there any information on this video uploading? I've only got a 360 but won't be too cut up about not uploading stuff for others to see... But I would love to be able to quickly rewind and replay a gun battle or stunts for my own amusement.

Pete0r on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    you have 30 seconds on both the 360 and PS3 and they both record the last 30 secs of carnage automatically. The PS3 has the ability to toggle a record function that'll let you record up to 10 minutes worth of footage to be either saved or uploaded onto youtube. 360 does not get that ability,just the 30 second automatic thang.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've been trying to play the PC version I got during November Steam THQ sale. I'm just not feeling it. Feels very meh. Just got the hookshot but even that hasn't been too much fun.

THis one does look a lot nicer though. The first one has a very amateurish vibe to it.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The first was really just an engine with a game tacked on. The grappling hook was really fun at the time but now, it wouldn't hold up. I found it more fun doing random crap than sticking with the designated missions and such. Things like going to the airport and jacking the HUGE cargo plane and then trying to land it again resulted in hilarity.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The biggest downfall of the first game is that there really isnt anything to do.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Since you played JC1, and from what we've seen of JC2, what do you think?

I mean, this game might be worth the 40 bucks (15 dollar credit on Amazon for a 55 dollar game!) just for running around and jumping and flying around. I don't have a 360 and I never got to play Crackdown but I've always wanted a game like this.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited February 2010
    There'll be a demo soon, so you can just try that yourself.

I always thought Just Cause 1 looked clunky and goofy as hell. This looks really polished.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Most of the charm of Just Cause 1 was the freedom to do anything near enough straight away. By that I mean go anywhere, do anything, with whatever weaponry you want. It had a story and missions built around the story, which most people felt were too samey. I wasn't one of those people. See, for me the structure of the missions might have been similar but the execution was entirely up to you. It wasn't great but there was fun to be had. And if nothing else, flying into the sunset is still one of the most visually stunning and relaxing things I've ever done in a videogame.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    JC1 buggy and unpolished as it was, is totally worth the $10 or less that you'll find it for. I was a fan of liberating the cities. . . they were missions that are kind of like Rush mode for battlefield bad company except in a sandbox world.

you'd have freedom fighters running around helping you take out the corrupt government officials. I'd be happy if JC2 were just JC1 with polish but it's looking to be much more than that.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    haha, this just keeps getting more and more hilarious.

dead sperm whale on Panau Island?

Hopefully you can grapple it onto a heli and use it as a wrecking ball. You should also check out the site in general for some hints at what's in store. Skiing sounds like its in.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So if the game is all about doing whatever you want wherever you want, I don't see how a demo is possible :D

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited February 2010
    So if the game is all about doing whatever you want wherever you want, I don't see how a demo is possible :D

Here's a pic from the demo:

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/1320/tethereredplane.png

Clevinger on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Rope off a section of the environment, cut off after the first few missions. Saints Row did it, Crackdown did it, JC1 did it, and I might be forgetting a few.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    JC1 demo had hours of fun in and of itself.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My experience with JC1 was summed up from the very start, when I deployed the parachute at a reasonable time so that I would land on the beach, only to die upon landing. This was weird because I reached insane levels of momentum by jumping off the speedboat (or was it a hovercraft? I can't remember) and never had a problem.

There were other complaints I had, but if JC2 tightens up the gameplay mechanics and offers more stuff to do, I'll be happy to shelve those complaints and never think of them again.

PaperLuigi44 on